Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Jersey City on the Hudson REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Jersey City on the Hudson REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 2, 19, 9:41 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Wiki Link
Heads up to anyone staying here on weekends up until December 2020 - Beginning January 5, 2019 through December 20, 2020, PATH’s World Trade Center Station will close every weekend, excluding major holidays, in order to replace equipment damaged during Superstorm Sandy. The station will close at 12:01 a.m. on Saturdays, reopening at 5 a.m. on Mondays.

During this time, PATH service to World Trade Center will terminate at Exchange Place Station (next to the Hyatt). Each Saturday and Sunday from 7 a.m. to 11:30 p.m., transfer will be available for NY Waterway ferry service between Harborside Ferry Landing in Jersey City and Brookfield Place Terminal in New York City. Service on the JSQ-33 via HOB line will follow a regular weekend schedule.

In short, do not plan on taking the PATH to/from the Hyatt to the World Trade Center on weekends.

The self-parking lot is at 135 Green Street at Christopher Columbus Drive; it's about a five minute walk to the entrance of the hotel.
See the following for more information:
http://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisor...ries_path.html
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 9, 10, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
The Millenium Hilton is right across from the WTC PATH station.

I'm flying into JFK tomorrow and staying at Newark Penn Station. I take the A train from Howard Beach and connect to PATH at the WTC station.
Old Jun 9, 10, 7:20 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, 06, GA, Hyatt, Marriott
Thanks peteropny and tom911, much appreciated.
Old Jun 13, 10, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Note you change trains at Chambers Street (there isn't a WTC stop). Watch for the signs inside the station for the exit to WTC PATH. You have to leave the station and walk a block to the PATH entrance which is behind the World Trade Center construction.

Photo of the Jersey City property taken from lower Manhattan this weekend:

Old Jul 1, 10, 3:11 pm
Community Director

I've now successfully used public transport to the hotel from EWR, coming the cheapest way.
  1. Bus 62, $1.50, cash only, airport to Penn Station Newark
  2. PATH train to Exchange Place, $1.75
  3. Roughly 1/2 block walk from PATH exit to hotel

It cost me a grand total of $3.25 to get here. It took roughly 1 hour 15 minutes. The hotel recommends a combo of the NJ Transit train from EWR to PATH. That would cost $6 more. By contrast, a towncar to the airport is costing $62 plus tip. I need to leave the hotel at 4:30am, too early to contend with public transport. I'm told to expect it to take about half an hour.
Old Jul 3, 10, 6:31 pm
Community Director

It's all about the view

I love hotel rooms with good views. And I particularly enjoy those with water views. There's something about the movement of water, and the movement of boats on water that I find very pleasing. I've heard about the view of Manhattan from New Jersey for years, and finally got the chance to experience it.

I was given a corner room at the hotel with the primary view to the north. This isn't the best corner room, as the hotel has a wing jutting further forward than this section of the hotel. The better view imo is to the south, where you can see the southern part of Manhattan, the Staten Island ferries, and the Statue of Liberty. Regardless, it is an excellent view. The room was very spacious, with a long L shaped sofa by the wall of windows, and a separate chair by the small window around the corner. The floor map shows all rooms to be the same size. It's quite impressive for the standard room to be so large.

The hotel had interesting food amenities. I rarely chose one, but I did this time - dates stuffed with blue cheese wrapped with prosciutto. I was impressed that when it was brought, four Diet Cokes were included instead of two. Samuel offered to immediately open one for me, and went and got a bucket of ice. We chatted for a bit about some kernels of popcorn the maid had failed to find on the floor. I wasn't fussing, just saying housekeeping should be careful to clean under the edges of the furniture the next day. And I was joking about how it made me hungry for popcorn. His service recovery was superb. He offered me popcorn, and when he brought it, had two other bowls of candies (M&Ms and salt water taffy) in bowls on the trays.

I had dinner in the hotel in order to take in the view. The restaurant has the water view on three sides. I had a terrific waiter from Zimbabwe who patiently answered questions about various landmarks. He really went the extra step by getting a map of the area, showing all the forms of water transport. There is also an outdoor bar waterside on the ground level which looked very appealing.

Given the length of time it took me to get here from EWR, and given my 3:30am wake up call, I wondered if I had made the right decision to come. I was really pleased that I did so, as the view of the Manhattan skyline was mesmerizing. It grew even more beautiful as the sun began to go down, reflecting off the skyscraper windows. My room was comfortable, and every staff interaction was very positive.
Old Jul 4, 10, 1:56 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Thanks for the review SanDiego1K. Being a Starwood moderator, you really should check out the W Hoboken, as the views from the Fantastic Suites at that property of Manhattan are unparalleled as you can see all the way from Uptown (GWB) to Downtown Manhattan.

Old Jul 4, 10, 7:33 am
Community Director

bulldoggolfer05, oh, my. I could sit and look at that view for hours. I thought about the W for this trip, but (1) I understood how to get to the Hyatt by public transport thanks to your help and others (2) W Hoboken seemed even further from EWR (3) I had a free night for Hyatt. Now that you have shown me that view, it is a must for some point in the future.
Old Jul 4, 10, 8:43 am
Suspended

The view especially for tonight with the Macy's fireworks set to go off for the second time in a row in the Hudson!
Old Jul 6, 10, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, NYC MTA Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
bulldoggolfer05, oh, my. I could sit and look at that view for hours. I thought about the W for this trip, but (1) I understood how to get to the Hyatt by public transport thanks to your help and others (2) W Hoboken seemed even further from EWR (3) I had a free night for Hyatt. Now that you have shown me that view, it is a must for some point in the future.
I live two blocks from this property in one of those glassy highrisers--Yes, the views are amazing! FYI--car service from Jersey City to EWR is $25. That's the going rate from all the JC based car companies.
Old Aug 16, 10, 2:50 pm

Thumbs up Shout Out and Thanks to the Hyatt Jersey City!!!

This is pretty much a review, but I will include the Upgrade format:

1. Hyatt Regency Jersey City
2. Presidential Suite
3. HUGE Square Footage
4. 1 bedroom, 1.5 bath
5. A
6. Weeks in advance, I booked two rooms(two nights [email protected] $169.15 AAA Breakfast rate) for a girls' getaway weekend the last weekend in July. We were intent on celebrating our best girl's birthday in NYC and Hoboken with friends who are locals. I called the reservations line to secure suite upgrades for both rooms. I wanted to ensure that we had enough space for five females prepping in a frenzy with flying shoes and hair for nights out on the town. I was told by the reservations agent that both upgrades had been issued and confirmed by the property. I called the hotel directly to confirm, recieved an email that reflected this fact, and noth upgrades had been pulled from my account.

Upon check-in I was told that there had been a mix-up between the time I booked the reservation and that moment. Apparently, I was supposed to be calling back to verify that I did want the suites after the agent had informed me of the new suite layout I found this odd, because I called and confirmed the upgrades and they had been pulled uncontested from my account. I was then informed that the hotel was fully booked due to a wedding taking place at the property and lodging out of town guests. As I became visibly disappointed the front desk manager explained that while none of the traditional suites were available he could place two of us in a double room with a view (see Manhattan Sky Double description) and the rest of us in the Presidential Suite which was available for the weekend. He also apologized in advance since the suite is located directly under the ballroom and the reception would be playing loud music well into the evening. This mattered not to us due to the fact that all except one of us (me... long story) would be out of the rooms by 9pm anyway.

From what my girlfriends told me in the AM the first night was great! At about 10:30, they missed the PATH train into the city (they took too long primping) which threw off their schedule to making it to a club before 11pm and avoiding an insane cover. They walked back to the lobby and asked for a cab company to be called. The woman at the front desk offered the complimentary car service for them and our other four friends who had met them at the train. A spacious SUV (IIRC, a Chevy Tahoe)was supplied; they asked the driver to take them to a local hot spot. He did not let them down and they had a ball until about 3am and were brought back by the hip driver.

My only are minor: When we got to the room, we scoured and found we had no ice bucket and called for one. It took 45 minutes to appear; the nice touch was that it was a beautiful silver plated piece. In the entire suite the only trash cans were in the bathroom? Next, we had a sizeable kitchen, regular, and wine refrigerator. We actually didn't notice until after the first night. We recalled our ice bucket experience and dresolved to let it be as there would be no one available for a possible long wait. Third and lastly, though we were only upgraded to one suite the "unused" upgrade was not returned to my account. I asked when we were given one "regular" room if there was a way to credit my account and was affirmed this would happen. I could be wrong but most certainly would not consider the Manhattan Double even a junior suite. It had a work area and a window seat with a view of the skyline. It was a nice room, but I would not use an official upgrade for it. I have yet to see the credit go back to my awards and haven't had the opportunity to call and follow up yet.

All in all, it was a great stay. We rarely used the other room except for the bathroom and the beds for limited hours. However, we utilized the suite to the fullest potential to lounge and dine at the table set for 8. When checking out, we discovered one of the girls (after too much to drink and a dead cell phone at 5am) had used the room phone to call home. FYI: To make a long distance call that is not answered is a flat charge of $9.77. We were grateful when every unconnected call that was made was removed.

The Birthday Girl is still raving about it!!! She is a Marriott girl and has pretty much been lured over to the "dark side"...
Old Aug 16, 10, 4:27 pm

I was confirmed a few days ago into a suite here without using a suite upgrade certificate for this upcoming weekend, but I am curious, what is the new suite layout?
Old Aug 17, 10, 6:59 am

According to the manager I spoke to when I checked in, the last time I stayed in one of their suites (pre-rennovation) there was a bedroom and full bath with work area and a separate parlor room complete with half bath, small dining area, wet bar, loveseat, pullout sofa, and Murphy bed. This is no longer the case.

I wasn't able to gather whether the parlor room has simply been converted into a junior suite and bedroom left as an additional guest room for more flexible property use or if the dividing wall between the bedroom and parlor has somehow been eliminated. I assume it is most likely the former because the impression he gave me is that they are not as spacious (which is what I was most concerned about for my particular stay). Please be sure to post back, as I am curious myself.
Old Aug 20, 10, 2:52 pm

I will try to get pictures uploaded later this evening, but just checked in here about an hour ago and was given an absolutely beautiful suite on the fifth floor. They are still true suites with a sizable bedroom and living room, or at least the one I was given is. I really like what they've done with the renovations in the suites (haven't seen a standard room) very Park Hyatt/Andaz feeling and definitely not the norm for Hyatt Regency
Old Sep 23, 10, 8:20 pm

Have all the rooms at this property been renovated?
Old Sep 24, 10, 2:02 am

Sorry for the delay in uploading these.

Last edited by NDDomer86; Sep 24, 10 at 2:10 am

Search this Thread