Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Dec 4, 2009, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Lounge and yikes!

Yikes that last report left lots to be desired. Hoping for different.

I booked a cheap MR on UA to TPA. I should have looked at the Hyatt inventory before doing so. Just talked with the Hotel and confirmed the Lounge is not open on the weekends. A big bummer. What is weird is that for at least the time I was looking the weekday (you would think aka business days) rates are less than weekend (when Lounge is closed).

Can anyone comment if the Hotel offers anything to Diamonds when the Lounge is not open a drink or appetizer in bar? Would I be entitled to any points as the Lounge is closed? Thanks.

Any and all comments appreciated on Hotel. Thanks.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, AS MVPG 75K, SPG LTP (BONVOYED), Hyatt Diamond aka WoH Glob, HH Diamond
I was there last weekend. Lounge was closed. Complimentary appetizer and soft drinks were offered at the lobby bar as well as the full breakfast at the restaurant. Very good services all around, everyone is very nice and friendly.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Impressed. 100%.

Preface: Into TPA on the great fares. Hotel looked nice online so decided to stay the night.

Rate: NBT.

Transportation: The Hotel has a shuttle. From baggage claim call the hotel and they will pick you up. Comp. Great value.

Check-in: At check-in advised upgraded to casita. Appreciated the offer but want to be in the main building for meeting and drinks later. Given corner room on high floor facing lots of water.

Perks: $25 credit for evening in bar and $15 credit for breakfast in morning. Amenity took points.

Lounge: Closed on weekends.

Room:

Bathroom:

Internet: Wireless via T Mobile. Should be comp..

Tv: Tube with lots of stations.

Closing: A very nice place. Friendly staff. Would stay again without doubt. More later.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it safe to assume this hotel doesn't offer 2,500 GP points when the lounge is closed, and instead just offers credit for the bar and breakfast downstairs?

Thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:57 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Is it safe to assume this hotel doesn't offer 2,500 GP points when the lounge is closed, and instead just offers credit for the bar and breakfast downstairs?

Thanks!
Yes that's correct.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Suite Deal, Not So Suite

After years of Diamond status, I'm now a lowly 'gold'. I booked a 'Suite Deal in Tampa' rate of $169 for a weekend in April for a Casita room and assumed that would get me a Casita Suite (wrong). The $169 turns out to be the rack rate, and even with that promo -- if Casita suites were available (which they weren't for my first nite, a Sat), the rate would be $399!! The local hotel res agent, told me I could stay in a regular Casita room for the first night and then move to an available CS for Sun-- but only if I paid the additional $230 bucks !). No thanks, I told them and had her cancel my existing res. I then proceeded to book a discounted weekend rate of $111 for the Casita Room. At the conclusion of my Hyatt.com on line reservation, I was offered the option to upgrade to a Casita suite for $125. Now, I know this is subjuct to availability, and I did opt for it, but it seemed strange that the hotel RA didn't mention this possibility when I was talking to her. Looking at the availability, it doesn't seem overly booked that weekend, and even if we just got the casita room, it would be ok (we were there last year and it was fine), but I'm still confused about the Suite Deal offer, as it's Not for a Suite, and it's not really a DEAL!
Old Jul 25, 2010, 8:06 am

Programs: Nothing much anymore.
Originally Posted by derby44
Yes that's correct.
If the lounge is closed, then the hotel must provide daily complimentary full breakfast for each registered guest PLUS 2,500 bonus points. The only exception listed is for the Grand Hyatt New York. Why would this hotel be any different?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by benny248
If the lounge is closed, then the hotel must provide daily complimentary full breakfast for each registered guest PLUS 2,500 bonus points. The only exception listed is for the Grand Hyatt New York. Why would this hotel be any different?
I can report it's definitely not. You DO get the 2,500 point bonus and free breakfast on weekends.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
The Grand Tampa is certainly providing breakfast ( actually one of the better buffets in the US ) and 2500 points for Diamond members staying there, when their club lounge is closed, which is the case for more or less all weekends/ Ymmv when the NFL is in town, at least in the past the club used to open all weekend, when the Bucs. play at home.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:08 pm

Programs: WN A-List w/CP; DL Silver; Hyatt Diamond; HH Diamond
Just FYI, a couple months ago they upgraded all the in-room TVs to new flat screens.

They also finished renovations to the outdoor bar and lounge at the main-tower pool just a few weeks ago. (although it's still a better bet to make the short drive/walk down to the resort pool).

Regency Club offerings have also been improved over the last couple months, and the club itself has had a few minor aesthetic upgrades. Sushi is an evening staple now, and they have one or two extra appetizer choices each night from what they used to offer.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:14 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
I just completed a stay here on Labor Day weekend.

Overall
Very nice place.
My 1st at a Grand Hyatt. While I enjoyed the visit, I did left questioning myself about the "grand" part of it. It seemed to be on par with the newer Regency locations.

Room / general
Nice "local" decor. In between "Key West" and "Hawaii".
Mini-bar had been "down converted" to a mini-fridge (a plus).
Bathroom had been nicely renovated except for the tub enclosure which was still 1960's tiles.
The bath amenities were the larger size of the Portico products, but was the White Ginger line. I like it, but do get tired of it. I was really expecting more than the Hyatt Place standard at a "Grand". At least at some Regency's, I've seen the Eucalyptus, wanting to try the Citrus Lavender.

Pool
Salt water. Sooo much better (closer match to my human body) than chlorine.
Small. Very small.
Well, ok. Long and skinny. But Labor Day Weekend it was filled w/rug rats. Due to narrowness, could not do "laps". Time to get out, the small steps were covered with brats as well as the single ladder (parents, are you listening ???? ).

Diamond Beni's
Grand Club was closed. I was offered the standard 2500 points without asking.
Also given coupon for breakfast. Very "un-grand". See below.
Room upgrade ?? The view was fantastic. Wonderful sunset over Rocky Point/Tampa Bay. The room was small.

Breakfast
Quality and quantity of selection ? Same as any other decent place.
Presentation ? Waiting to be shutdown by the health officials
Hostess was "stressed" on where to seat me in the half filled dining area.
She finally decided on an "inside" hidden corner table that had been reset w/new silverware, but still had crumbs.
Waitress didn't see me for awhile, but that's ok, I was had decided on the buffet.

Cold buffet. Decent selection. Fruits, some meats but limited cheese selections.

Hot buffet. Standard selections. Disgraceful presentation.
I think someone advised the manager at 7am that he/she had to provide a hot buffet for breakfast. Quick, line-up up some narrow tables on that side wall. Don't forget the heat lamps. Line the food items up along the wall. We only have covered dishes for the scrambled eggs, pancakes and potatoes. Stack everything else on a plate, the heat lamp will keep them warm. Sneeze Shield ?? Customers can run over to the cold buffet if they feel the need to sneeze, that will protect our open air sausages and bacon.
Seriously, the sausage was on an open plate which was just as wide as the narrow "buffet" table. They were stacked seriously high and just waiting for someone who wanted "that one" to bring the whole pile down onto the floor. I didn't witness such an event cuz I was seated in the blind corner !!
Disgraceful, disgraceful, disgraceful.

Diamond Amenity
I almost always choose points. But because Grand Club was closed, I chose a wine (house Pinot Noir) and cheese.
I checked in at 3pm and asked for 6pm delivery. I returned at 6:20pm and there was my amenity. ^
Wine was good but standard. Considering the price, the wine was excellent. Full bottle.
Cheese-n-Fruit. Presentation was very nice. Variety was nowhere as nice as I had previously at a Regency location (ABQ).

Parking
Free. Plentiful. Covered. Just the other side of the hotel entrance.

Room Service
For dinner one night, I ordered the Grouper Sandwich, Blackened.
Menu only offered French Fries as the side. Without my asking, the order clerk offered alternative sides. I took the cole slaw.
Delivery was promised within 45 minutes. I think it came within 30 minutes by a courteous (yet fishing for a tip on a "gratuity included" order) server.
Quality / Taste: Excellent
Eating watching the sunset over Tampa Bay: priceless
Eating/watching said sunset from inside the room cuz not not even a mini-balcony : price should be less
Price ? : farther out on the stratosphere than the wonderful sunset (22.80 w/o tip or drink)

I forgot, did I tell ya I liked the location ?
An airport location that offers water/sunset (or airport) views.
On the start of the causeway, so "land space" is tight, and the highway has en-roached.
But the road construction is finally complete. Some odd backtracks to fit the new roads in so bring your GPS.
By car, literally minutes from TPA, yet no annoying airport noise from the room.

Where the property abuts Old Tampa Bay has been preserved in its natural state as a mangrove forest. ^^
There's an elevated walkway out to a gazebo overlooking the bay.
Those who are expecting Hibiscus, Plumeria and Don Ho will be disappointed.
Those who are expecting true Florida (me) will be delighted (except for the small size and so close to destructive humanity) at the humidity, fiddler crabs, swamp etc.

Check-in
I was impressed by Justin.
It was slow when I walked in. He and another FD agent were engaged in what I assume to be a personal conversation at the time. That conversation stopped ASAP when I walked into the check-in lobby. And not with an "oh, another customer" attitude, but more like "great, someone else to assist !!".
He offered me bottled water or lemonade. I took the water which proceeded to "sweat" all over his desk.
He used my name and thanked me for being loyal to Hyatt.
He mentioned the Grand Club was closed for the weekend so said he'd add points to my account instead.
I guess he was trying to add the "DN" bonus code but saw my rate had already triggered a "G3" bonus. He questioned another FD who said to him "no, that's something different". Justin replied to me, "oh, you'll get a lot of points". I made a note to myself "in traditional Gold Passport fashion, I will be missing either my 1500pt G3 bonus or my 2500 "club closed" points.

Check-out
My room rate included a $25 credit towards incidentals. That's the only way I could justify that grouper sandwich.
TV "video" checkout did not show such a credit.
The FD Representative (sorry, I didn't note her name) apologized and credited my folio right away.
Seems to be the same game that Gold Passport plays ... let's see if we can get away without the "promo" credit, but if the customer calls us on it, act like we're doing a great big service by adding the points/credit in"

Gold Passport
Despite Justin's need to ask someone (I don't care about that) about the multiple G3 and DN bonuses, both were credited to my account without intervention. Truly amazing as I honestly didn't think Hyatt was capable of such

Would I stay again ??
At the (holiday) rate I paid, absolutely YES.
At their normal rate, probably not. Very nice place and no complaints, but nowhere near close to the value when I can stay at many other "almost as nice" properties for much less.

Steve
Old Sep 11, 2010, 5:56 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
I can report it's definitely not. You DO get the 2,500 point bonus and free breakfast on weekends.
I stayed last December and definitely did not get the 2500 points---I just checked my folio. Hopefully a customer service agent can check the record and apply those points to my account. I'm also staying there again this December---so that's an extra 5000 points I didn't expect. Thanks
Old Sep 11, 2010, 5:59 am

Good review steve64--you're right Justin does provide great service and I hope to have him take care of me this December. I'll be sure to let management know they have a terrific employee. ^
Old Sep 11, 2010, 6:00 am

Since the website change I'm not finding the area that lists the G bonus--can anyone help? Thanks very much Sorry there is a new thread on this subject. Thanks

Last edited by derby44; Sep 11, 2010 at 6:54 am Reason: Found another thread addressing the issue
Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:56 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spending two nights here, I was upgraded to a suite but not the presidential suite. Still it was fine. Between the time I booked the room and my last check the day before arrival, the room rate went from $226/night down to $99/night! Further proof of why one should go for refundable rates.

This GH is nice; but let's be honest, it's dated. Kind of reminiscent of the GHs in NYC or SF: it would be too expensive to enlarge the bathrooms to current standard, but they do keep the place decent. Lightbulbs are all 13w fluorescents or equivalent, leading to a somewhat gloomy look at night. TVs have been replaced with flat panels, but the cable service was not upgraded to digital or HD.

Arrived Sat night, left Mon morning and never was the club open. It appears currently it is open only Tue -- Thu. That may well change in high season.

The hotel is a real bargain at the price I paid; less so at the original price quoted.

Edited to add:
Just tried the breakfast buffet, which looked a whole lot better than it tasted.

The hot foods, as noted previously, were not under a spit shield, which was ironic since there was a whole unused spit shielded movable table nearby. When I asked the person I presumed to be the restaurant manager about this, he replied that he didn't think spit shields were required for hot foods.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Sep 13, 2010 at 9:21 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.