Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:29 am

Location: Anaheim, CA - Delta Platinum Medallion,Sky Team Elite Plus, American Airlines Platinum, OneWorld - Emerald, EK-Skywards Gold, VS Flying Club, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold. Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum, Intercontinental Platinum Ambassador
I have stayed at this property a few times. It is definetely an upgrade over the Hyatt Regency Downtown Tamps. However, IMHO, it is not worth the vast differencein price. This property does offer great views of the bay. However, I refer the view of the runways at TPA!!
Old Jan 6, 2005, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA2mm,HGPdiamond, AAExPlat, MarriottGold
I stayed there several times last year. Nice property but the RC was ALWAYS closed regardless of the day of the week I was there. Did get drink and food vouchers for both evening and am. Free parking and shuttle to airport make it an overall nice stay. A nice seafood restaurant also.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy Card, CO Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Amex Centurion and its perks...
The RC has become much more operable in the last couple of stays I have had at the hotel. It was open during the New Year's period and was quite busy. It seems as the summer months are when it is closed, but it has consistently been open in the past several months.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
I was booked for one night early last year and wanted to show up one night early. It seems most of the hotels in Tampa (incl the GH) were sold out but they accommodated me anyway. Originally told me they would have to put me in a cabana (I guess they are nicer but located away from the main lobby) and were only accommodating me because I was a Diamond. When I arrived, they told me they upgraded me to a suite instead. This was an enormous presidential type of suite (full size dining room table, big living room, high end electronics, etc.). I chose a fruit basket as one my Diamond Amenities. Received a huge bowl with very high quality fruit. Oystercatchers is also one of the better seafood restaurants in the area.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 5:45 pm

The Italian restaurant on the roof is exceptioanlly good.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 7:13 pm

You probably will be upgraded to the RC floor, but your real choice will be the casita rooms or the standard rooms. The standard are the "tower" rooms and are regualar rooms. The casitas are one story rooms on the wildlife preserve with a canal by your back door. They are at the far end of the property and remind me of a key west motive with tile floors, ceiling fans, etc. The casitas seem bigger and are more private. There are pictures and decriptions of both on the Hyatt webpage. The restaurant on the top og the hotel which serves Italian is very good, and I would suggest Bern's Steakhouse for an excellent meal. Bern's can be found online or in the DiningBuzz section.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 8:50 pm
Suspended

A very solid property, one of the better Grand Hyatt`s in the US. On one side of the property you will have views of the bay area , on the other you can overview the runways at TPA.

Parking is free and they have also a garage attached to the hotel, only a few steps to the lobby entrance.

RC is average, nothing spectucular, however I stayed there between Coconut Point and the Grand Cypress, so was maybe a little bit biased from those outstanding Regency Clubs...
Old Jan 14, 2006, 5:13 pm

Arrived late last night and checked in no problems. The front desk manager had blocked me into an RC room earlier in the day but the person on staff was nice enough to unhold one of the convention rooms for me and give me a corner King with dual views.

So far things have been great, the club room is really nice and not a lot of people. The food is so good, much better than the hyatt I"m usually at.

They were late with my diamond amenity but the cheeses were better so no complain.

Hit up St. Petersburg today but it was really windy...gonna go to Ybor tonight for some dinner and bars. Thanks for the info.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 6:10 pm

Checked in today... as a plat got upgraded to RC, which had hot crab cakes and turkey rolls tonight. They were pushing $30 upgrades to bay view rooms to everyone who was checking in, including me... but I preferred the TPA runway view.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 8:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
As a platinum I usually get upgraded to a bay view/corner room---however I've never been given access to RC--given a choice I'd prefer RC access over the bay view.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 9:34 am

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver
Completed a stay here for a few nights two months ago. Just got around to writing it up...

My family and I used a suite upgrade certificate and got the Presidential Suite at the hotel, a huge room. We were staying on a pretty reasonable rate too, around 129 a night if I remember correctly. The suite had a baby grand piano, large flat screen TV with Bose Surround Sound system (although no HD and a very strange wiring setup... maybe they had someone from Best Buy install it, as it looks very complicated for no particular reason). The master bedroom was grand, with a huge bathroom and steps up to a huge tub. The main area actually had a whole living room section, dining room section, and TV area- it was so spacious! There was a Sony Vaio all-in-one computer at the desk. The front desk gave us the connecting room, two doubles, for no charge also. The bay view was magnificent as well...

The Regency Club had the same great view, coffee and drinks all day, and a very good evening spread. There were small dishes of mussels or grilled beef, for instance, in addition to cold items. The breakfast was quite good as well, standard continental breakfast fare. Amenity was wine and cheese plate, though the points might have been better in this case.

We took a walk on the boardwalk... not really that long... and saw mostly birds and hermit crabs. A very nice property, to be sure... and a great place to use the suite upgrade!
Old Mar 9, 2008, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver
Of course it depends on availability, but when we were there late last year, I used a certificate and they upgraded us to the Presidential Suite (not sure what it was called). It was huge (more than what they say on the web site, I think) and they gave us the connector room for free too. I called the front desk manager beforehand, and it seemed to help...
Old Apr 10, 2008, 4:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
Had a nice stay here during the womens final four although some of the staff were not four star. Upgraded to a casita suite and had access to the RC. Was able to use my suite upgrade for all 4 nights. The suite was very spacious with an upstairs loft/bedroom. We were occasionally bothered by airport noise but it wasn't too bad. The casita pool area was fun and we saw lots of roseate spoonbills, ibis, and oystercatchers on the nature walk and gazebos. The RC had a really nice spread at night, one night had wonderful crab cakes and a beautiful, tasty lobster salad on another night. The club "matrons" were cranky and arrogant especially in the morning. One of them would sit and chat with her friend, start packing up the goods 20 minutes before closing, and refused to refill the fruit plates when I asked. She finally brought out some more fruit when another more assertive guy insisted. The housekeeping was somewhat odd and several times the bed was "short sheeted" and we had to completely redo it. Despite the odd staff we enjoyed our stay especially watching the subdued Connecticut fans (this was their team hotel) after Stanford beat them!
Old Feb 12, 2009, 6:08 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Unfortunately, only a one night stay....

Road construction continues, ramps to hotel are complete and are marked. Easy access.

Valet parking is available, but self parking is as convenient. (at no cost)Check-in was quick and courteous. Status recognized; chose points; so unable to comment on amenity.

Placed on the Club floor in a huge corner king room. Split view of airport/bay/city. (odd numbered rooms face the airport/city; even face the bay and Clearwater) No noise problems from highway or airport. Very large room, but as hotel is older, smaller bath. Mini-bar has not been replaced with a frig as is the case in some hotels. Portico amenities, but in a larger size than is normal.

Club has gorgeous views. In the evening one can hear the piano from the restaurant above; certainly better than the news . Too new to Hyatt to compare food offerings to other properties - but felt there was a plentiful selection, well stocked, with some different offerings. (shrimp cocktails, sushi, honey baked ham, etc). Cookies and trail mix were available all day. Breakfast offerings were fairly standard. Lounge matron was friendly and kept lounge in good order.

Two pool areas - one at casita's and one at main hotel. Both were in pretty settings and not particularly crowded. (weekday visit) Casita area has more of a view to the bay. There is another restaurant in the casita area, too.

It appears the growth of Tampa and the highway system has encroached on this hotel's privacy, so it has lost some of its' resort feel. But location is still pretty, w/ easy access to the city, stay was great, and I would very definitely stay here again for either business or pleasure.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 8:11 am
used to be 'Flyfarfar'

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Having a tough time reserving a suite for a 1 night stay using points or status certificates.

It seems the only way to get a suite for 1 night is to pay a regular rate and use the upgrade certificate. They wouldn't accept points for a suite for 1 night, because a 3 night minimum is required.

Followup to stay:
No Diamond Amenity offered
Upgrade to Executive Suite after asking about it at Check-in
Rooms smelled moldy
Room was dirty when first entered had to call cleaning
Pool was great
Armanis was great food and view
Left after dinner and didn't stay because of the room smell

Last edited by The Weekly Flyer; Oct 4, 2009 at 7:06 am Reason: Update

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.