Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Sharm El Sheikh (Hyatt) & Taba Heights (NO LONGER HYATT) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Sharm El Sheikh (Hyatt) & Taba Heights (NO LONGER HYATT) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:19 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
We finally returned after a few years. The property is still great, they have touched up a bit.

It's very quiet. With Russia and UK flights not operating I counted no more than 20 guests.

Will post a full review soon.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:28 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Still a great resort

Hyatt Regency Sharm El Sheikh

Map| 4 Reviews | 25% Recommended

Gardens, Kendy Mall 7 El-Salam, South Sinai Governorate, Egypt EG

Still a great resort (6 Photos)

We had put off our annual vacations to Egypt because of the security situation and as soon as we arrived we felt completely safe as if nothing had changed.

I had emailed the hotel to apply a TSU for the Regency Suite, but asked for a downgrade to a Club Deluxe because these are on the top level of the villa so have better views. A second base room was also upgraded in advance to a Club Deluxe.

On arrival the hotel limousine didn't turn up but the hotel shuttle was there to pickup other guests. The shuttle driver apologised profusely but it really didn't bother us.

IMG_3481.JPG

Check In

As Globalists and Club level guests we were taken from prior to the x ray machine entrance (they still xray your bags) and driven in a gold buggy to the Regency Club villa. We were greeted by the Front Office Manager who performed our check in and look after us.

Perhaps because we are return guests of many years they didn't take a cc authorisation and prepared the exact rooms we always request. We were offered a juice and taken by buggies to each villa.

Room

As mentioned, we always ask for the Club Deluxe Room. The villas consist of a Club Deluxe on the top floor which is a large junior suite with living area and dining table, with three balconies while the Regency Suites are on the ground floor with a garden area but no sea views.

Having read recent Tripadvisor reviews that were very negative I was pleased to see everything at the hotel was as it used to be. If anything there had been minor improvements with hotel keys that tap instead of insert, some minor refurb etc.

Housekeeping was performed twice a day and the hotel finally was wifi!

IMG_2221.JPG

Service

The Regency level is where this hotel excels. Not only is the Regency Club an entire villa with indoor and outdoor dining, but it has a Regency Club pool and a separate private beach just for club level guests.

The Club has soft drinks, tea and coffee available all day. They serve breakfast, but you can also have it in the main restaurant.

In the evening 5PM - 7:30PM they have an extensive spread including two hot items, salads, breads, crips, cheeses as well as desserts and free pour self service alcohol. Unfortunately, like any hotel some guests got extremely drunk and dropped their food only for the staff to have to clean.

The Regency Club beach also has soft drinks, tea and coffee and you can order room service at the beach.

At both the Regency pool and beach the staff will bring around fresh fruit, cold towels etc throughout the day.

IMG_5129.JPGIMG_8492.JPG

Dining

We had both breakfast and dinner included in our package. We ate breakfast in the restaraunt but I found dinner to be quite poor. The food in the Regency Lounge was of a far better quality including Egyptian Meat pie (similar to Spanikopita but with mince), Sping Rolls, Falafel and Mahshi (stuffed vegetables).

Like most hotels in Sharm the HR is designed so you don't have to leave.

The main attraction, however, is the hous reef which is stunning. There is a main jetty on the main beach, however the Regency Beach also has it's own jetty. You needn't learn to scuba or take a boat, rather you can snorkel right off the jetty and see an abundanc of sea life.

IMG_3846.JPG

IMG_7488.JPG

Overall

Overall we had a great stay. Disregard the negative Trip Advisor reviews that appear to be from package tourists that want more for free.

Unfortuanetly the hotel is very quiet, at its busiest there were 30 guests in total which means the ratio of staff to guests is very high.

The staff are cheerful and engaging and SSH is completely safe. The airport has extensive new security measures now and if you were ever thinking of going to Egypt now is a great time. On some days we were the only people at the Regency pool and beach!

Still a great resort

Would you like to write a review on the Hyatt Regency Sharm El Sheikh?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:52 am

Undergoing Serious Construction - Avoid Until Complete

Map| 4 Reviews | 25% Recommended

Gardens, Kendy Mall 7 El-Salam, South Sinai Governorate, Egypt EG

Undergoing Serious Construction - Avoid Until Complete (3 Photos)

We have visited the HR SSH many times over the last 10 years, but this occasion was incredibly disappointing. The GM of the PH Istanbul appears to be seconded here and, frankly, I would expect better from a GM of a flagship property.

The hotel is undergoing very serious construction with Bulldozers, Bobcats and Drilling that you can hear all day. Apparently, the hotel is being upgraded for security reasons but neither the hotel website, the reservation booking process or the hotel via email alert you to the fact that there is construction.

When questioned we were told the construction "was a different hotel" despite it being immediately next to the Regency Club pool and above the Regency Club beach.

I recorded several videos, emailed the GM and Hyatt Consumer Affairs and only then did they acknowledge the issue. They stopped the construction for the rest of our stay which we appreciated, but it clearly would affect all current guests.

Check In

As always, Club guests are whisked from reception to the Club Lounge for check in.

Room

We always book Junior Suites as these are on the top floors of the two story villas whereas the Regency Suites are on the bottom floor and although bigger, do not have sea views.

IMG_3394.JPG

Service

Unfortunately, most of the good staff have departed and the hotel has hired new staff who lack any sufficient hospitality training.

At breakfast they stand around looking bored rather than cleaning up after guests finish or oferring tea and coffee when seated.

Ironically, while at reception we ran into the HR Manager who asked how our stay was. When we told her of these issues her response is "Well, we can't really control them.." Speaks for itself.

Dining

The food offerings in the Club Lounge are always great, although we generally had breakfast in the restaurant.

Surprisingly, the food quality has improved since our last stay.

The main drawcard to the hotel remains its house reef.

We hired a private yacht with a company unrelated to the hotel and the Divemaster acknowledged that the Hyatt's house reef, reached by jetty from the Regency Club beach, is the most spectacular snorkelling and dive sight in the area.

IMG_5185.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

Overall

Overall, the construction almost ruined our stay. While they ceased construction because of our complaint, not notifying guests in advance is unforgivable.

Hyatt, *wood and Hilton all state construction on their property website or during the booking process and for a GM from the PH Istanbul to not have informed guests is appalling.

Until construction is complete we will probably stay at the Four Seasons.

Undergoing Serious Construction - Avoid Until Complete

Would you like to write a review on the Hyatt Regency Sharm El Sheikh?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:05 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Originally Posted by m0hamed

Room
e always book Junior Suites as these are on the top floors of the two story villas whereas the Regency Suites are on the bottom floor and although bigger, do not have sea views. .
Thanks for this heads up and review. Do you know when the construction should be completed?
we searched the hotel website, but do not see the room type "Junior Suite".
The only suites categories are
- Regency Suite
- Regency Executive Suite
- Regency Club Parlor Suite
- Diplomatic Suite
- Royal Villa

Also the "Club Deluxe Room" type in your previous review is not shown on the website.

Can you provide the exact room tpyes with the Hyatt naming convention?

Appreciate your help.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by 59Impala
Thanks for this heads up and review. Do you know when the construction should be completed?
we searched the hotel website, but do not see the room type "Junior Suite".
The only suites categories are
- Regency Suite
- Regency Executive Suite
- Regency Club Parlor Suite
- Diplomatic Suite
- Royal Villa

Also the "Club Deluxe Room" type in your previous review is not shown on the website.

Can you provide the exact room tpyes with the Hyatt naming convention?

Appreciate your help.
It's the Parlour Suite.

Basically Parlour Suites and Regency Suites are in the same villa, however the Parlour is on the top floor. It has three balconies, one looking out to sea and two on each side. The Regency Suite has these areas as indoor and has a garden area out the front.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I couldn't stand that kind of dishonesty about the construction. I have roadwork going on outside my home right now and it's terrible. Sawing, banging and machinery going. Would hate for that to follow me to a beautiful place like this hotel.
BOStonTravels likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:14 am

Judge for yourself https://streamable.com/cr7g7

Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Judge for yourself https://streamable.com/cr7g7

Did you get compensation or service recovery beyond the one stoppage?

I would want the stay comped considering the distance you traveled to go there?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Did you get compensation or service recovery beyond the one stoppage?

I would want the stay comped considering the distance you traveled to go there?
Only after arguing with them via email and the phone and escalating to Hyatt Corporate Affairs by CCing them did the GM respond, apologise, offer to cease works during out 6 night stay and they comped one suite for one night.

If they hadn't we would have moved to the FS. That is the Regency Club pool the Bulldozer is directly behind and above the Regency Club beach. The video was taken from one of the suite's balconies.

Last edited by m0hamed; Aug 16, 2018 at 5:01 am
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:14 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Only after arguing with them via email and the phone and escalating to Hyatt Corporate Affairs by CCing them did the GM respond, apologise, offer to cease works during out 6 night stay and they comped one suite for one night.

If they hadn't we would have moved to the FS. That is the Regency Club pool the Bulldozer is directly behind and above the Regency Club beach. The video was taken from one of the suite's balconies.
Wow that is terrible.

I am very intrigued by this property and wonder if the construction is completed? At the Regency level it really seems to offer a true, hotel within a hotel, given the Regency Club is an entire villa with indoor and outdoor dining, Club pool and a separate private beach. Appreciate any updates from members here on this property?

Without the construction it seems better than the FS Sharm!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
Wow that is terrible.

I am very intrigued by this property and wonder if the construction is completed? At the Regency level it really seems to offer a true, hotel within a hotel, given the Regency Club is an entire villa with indoor and outdoor dining, Club pool and a separate private beach. Appreciate any updates from members here on this property?

Without the construction it seems better than the FS Sharm!
I really should check given we have an upcoming stay!

The club level is a completely different stay. The chefs in the club lounge cook food better than the main restaurant. In fact they often make canaps they know I like when I return.

Will ask about construction and report back.

As for the comparison to the FS - their suites are designed so that you only see the ocean from the living room and the couch faces the TV on the wall and not the view. The rooms are darker as opposed to the HR where natural light is in abundance in the suites.

The FS grounds and public areas are immaculate, but unless you book a villa there I would still choose the Hyatt.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: BA

I really should check given we have an upcoming stay!

The club level is a completely different stay. The chefs in the club lounge cook food better than the main restaurant. In fact they often make canaps they know I like when I return.

Will ask about construction and report back.

As for the comparison to the FS - their suites are designed so that you only see the ocean from the living room and the couch faces the TV on the wall and not the view. The rooms are darker as opposed to the HR where natural light is in abundance in the suites.

The FS grounds and public areas are immaculate, but unless you book a villa there I would still choose the Hyatt.
That is fantastic service! What kinds of club services (e.g. iced coffee, fresh juice brought to you, etc) are available at the club pool and/or private beach?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
That is fantastic service! What kinds of club services (e.g. iced coffee, fresh juice brought to you, etc) are available at the club pool and/or private beach?
The pool is served by the club lounge itself as it's attached.

The beach has an entire purpose built bar where staff are present all day to serve you. It's truly one of the best club level experiences that exist.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: AA XP, BA G, AS 100K, Hyatt G
There is no construction around the RC area since I arrived on 12/25. The RC pool and private beach are dedicated for RC guests only. They serve water and fresh fruits. The set up is special and Im enjoying my stay here so far.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by vudoosj
There is no construction around the RC area since I arrived on 12/25. The RC pool and private beach are dedicated for RC guests only. They serve water and fresh fruits. The set up is special and Im enjoying my stay here so far.
They will also serve you tea, coffee (including iced coffee), soft drinks for free. You can also order room service to the beach and eat under the cabanas.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.