Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by elg26
Staying at PH Tokyo for 2 nights in April.... was going to stay at GH but availability for points-only opened up so I switched... (considering rate was $1250/night couldnt pass up the +0.04/point redemption not to mention the great reputation the hotel has).

Not familiar with the area, what is around the hotel walking distance (shopping, landmarks, restaurants, bars, etc)? I was told GH had much more around it that is walkable, but will I be disappointed in the walk able area around the PH?
As a first time PH guest a few years ago (also on points) I would assess the location as follows (note I have not yet stayed at other Tokyo hotels):
  • Unless you are rolling in cash you will use the metro to get around. PH is a bit of a hike (15m) to Shinjuku station, though there is a shuttle that can shave a few minutes if you hit the timing just right. This is not a big deal on a multinight stay, particularly if you (like us) tend to leave the hotel in the morning and only return at the end of the day prior to dinner. Also not a big deal if you occasionally use taxis, even from Shinjuku (not expensive IMO). But if you plan to go back and forth to metro multiple times a day then it is a pain and a time suck.
  • My room at the PH was far and above one of the best I've had anywhere, and the service was awesome. Again this is subjective but IMO this is one hotel that I'm really glad I visited and would happily return.
  • The neighborhood is quiet, so if you are looking to be in the middle of the action, i.e. nightlife, bars, within walking distance or short taxi ride then maybe you want another property. OF course there are many restaurants in walking distance (and even some decent spots in the building) and plenty of action in Shinjuku, which is maybe a 10m walk.
  • If you had kids there is a great park across the street from PH where they can run around.
To be honest I will likely stay at GH or Andaz on my next visit as the rate is lower and I don't want to waste precious time hiking back and forth to the hotel when my entire visit is <24 hours. But I know I will miss the PH...
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
As a young-ish guy who does enjoy the Tokyo nightlife I'd argue the PHT is pretty excellent. Very short walk to Golden Gai and all of Shinjuku's craziest nightlife. Love this hotel, and looking forward to a few more stays this year.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Red259
I wasn't a big fan of the GH. For me it was more of a service experience but if you are getting upgraded into a room with lounge access that may make the difference. However, the one thing the GH has going for it is that its located right at a metro station.
There is the Shinjuku Tochomae station which is served by the Oedo Line so IMHO very practical and just a few minutes down the street. Lounge is the least useful benefit in Tokyo for me even though the PHT provides the Peak Lounge Happy Hour for three full hours (at least for Globalists). Can't beat the venue especially if you want to entertain a local guest.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
There is the Shinjuku Tochomae station which is served by the Oedo Line so IMHO very practical and just a few minutes down the street. Lounge is the least useful benefit in Tokyo for me even though the PHT provides the Peak Lounge Happy Hour for three full hours (at least for Globalists). Can't beat the venue especially if you want to entertain a local guest.
The Peak Lounge benefit is a wonderful Globalist benefit. Very good drinks, small bites and a hot dish (or two) that comes around.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by Aventine
The Peak Lounge benefit is a wonderful Globalist benefit. Very good drinks, small bites and a hot dish (or two) that comes around.
It is also very popular with young locals, both expats and Japanese. It is a great deal, especially in Tokyo. All you can drink, plus some (albeit limited) food for as long as 3 full hours in a luxury atmosphere and possibly a really nice view (if you get there early or are lucky) for 4800 + T&S!
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
It is also very popular with young locals, both expats and Japanese. It is a great deal, especially in Tokyo. All you can drink, plus some (albeit limited) food for as long as 3 full hours in a luxury atmosphere and possibly a really nice view (if you get there early or are lucky) for 4800 + T&S!
Agreed. It's always packed but they are proactive to give Globalists any open window seats (in my experience)
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Absolutely. I have paid for that more than once when I didn't stay at PHT but next door at HR. Considering how much a single drink or even soft drink costs it's a bargain really.

Talking about PHT bargains, the lunch at NYG (5100 JPY) is the best deal in town and the lunch combo from the Delicatessen fantastic as well (1230 JPY) especially if you like to go for a small picnic at one of the parks.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Talking about PHT bargains, the lunch at NYG (5100 JPY) is the best deal in town
It is fabulous, but you do end up paying far more than 5100 yen, even if don't go during weekends, holidays, or order one of the menu items that requires an upgrade fee. More like about 6500 yen at an absolute minimum.
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:15 pm

Ironically I've stayed there 2 times and never done the evening service or used the spa as a diamond. Hopefully I can remedy one of those during my upcoming 1 night while I transit to Sapporo.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hailstorm
It is fabulous, but you do end up paying far more than 5100 yen, even if don't go during weekends, holidays, or order one of the menu items that requires an upgrade fee. More like about 6500 yen at an absolute minimum.
The holiday bruch is more expensive but includes a glass of Ruinart champagne. Fair deal. Yes - the upgrade dishes are pricey, especially the Kobe.

FWIW I had the Venison off the regular menu for dinner last week and it was simply fantastic and much better than any steak I ever had there.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by antonius66
Ironically I've stayed there 2 times and never done the evening service or used the spa as a diamond. Hopefully I can remedy one of those during my upcoming 1 night while I transit to Sapporo.
That's a shame but I don't get the hype about the spa which is really just onsen/sauna/steam room. Good in the winter or if you have a cold though.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
That's a shame but I don't get the hype about the spa which is really just onsen/sauna/steam room.
Yea, I don't get it either. I mean, my Aston Martin gets me from A to B like any other car, so don't get all the hype either.
dpb132 and caliform like this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
Yea, I don't get it either. I mean, my Aston Martin gets me from A to B like any other car, so don't get all the hype either.
At least the car is fun. The CATP is boring af.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
That's a shame but I don't get the hype about the spa which is really just onsen/sauna/steam room. Good in the winter or if you have a cold though.
And I don't get the hype about the Presidential Suite, which is really just a few connected rooms. Good if it's raining and you need shelter though.
dpb132 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hailstorm
And I don't get the hype about the Presidential Suite, which is really just a few connected rooms. Good if it's raining and you need shelter though.
Presidential Suites are not suitable for an individual to stay. They are notoriously uncomfortable and impractical for one or two people to stay in.

I always turn them down whenever they're assigned (usually 2-3 times a year at various hotels).
dpb132 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.