Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2013, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
In Tokyo, a good or convenient location is always relative, and depends where one wants to go.

In my opinion the Grand Hyatt has the best location for leisure visits, as it is very central and convenient to most places you are likely to go as a tourist. That said you will be fine wherever you choose to stay.
Thanks Mike. Always appreciate your input. I'm arriving on Sunday afternoon around 4. Is there going to be traffic around then? I normally take the Limo Bus but thought about the NEX.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by nycnyc
Thanks Mike. Always appreciate your input. I'm arriving on Sunday afternoon around 4. Is there going to be traffic around then? I normally take the Limo Bus but thought about the NEX.
I take the Limo bus upon arrival because it is most convenient and I don't have to carry my bags. At 4 in the afternoon there may be traffic, so n'ex will probably be a bit faster. I would opt for n'ex if traveling light.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:08 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hailstorm
If you can't walk 10 or 15 minutes to get where you are going, or can't afford to take a cab a few times, then the Park Hyatt Tokyo isn't for you. Personally, I've never found the location anywhere near inconvenient enough for it to be a deal breaker for me....
If you can't walk 10 or 15 minutes, or can't afford to take a cab a few times, then you can still take the free hotel shuttle to/from the station area that runs every 20 minutes from 9am to 9pm!

Last edited by RichardInSF; Mar 9, 2013 at 7:33 pm
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
If you can't walk 10 or 15 minutes, or can't afford to take a cab a few times, then you can still take the free hotel shuttle to/from the station area that runs every 20 minutes from 9am to 9pm!
And I believe there is also a free service, a much larger bus, right outside the commercial complex on which the hotel stands.

I do not find this hotel's location convenient, few do and I have preferred other hotels many times due to its location. But whether it is a deal breaker depends on a lot of factors. This is a great hotel.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 7:39 pm

The larger Y100 bus from downstairs right outside the hotel has unfortunately changed its route so that after about 9:30am it is unusable since it zig zags back and forth for too long before reaching the station.

There is still the free Park Tower bus every 10 minutes from about 10am to 7pm -- exit the lift at floor 2, turn right to go downstairs at the pastry shop, then walk to the opposite side of the building from the hotel entrance.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 9:14 pm

Thanks for all the info--I think I'll be okay location-wise. What are your thoughts on Kozue? I'm going to try Girandole for breakfast and definitely have a steak dinner at NY Grill but has anyone eaten at Kozue?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Thanks for all the info--I think I'll be okay location-wise. What are your thoughts on Kozue? I'm going to try Girandole for breakfast and definitely have a steak dinner at NY Grill but has anyone eaten at Kozue?
If you have the means to do so (Hilton Gold status?) I'd highly recommend doing the Diamond Challenge before going. That way the breakfast is free, and you could hedge your bets by ordering the Japanese breakfast (supplied by Kozue) one day to see if you would be interested in having lunch/dinner there.

Diamond status also provides you with free drinks at the New York Bar from 5 to 7.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:02 pm

Have never, in all my stays, tried Kozue, which I believe is the most expensive restaurant in the hotel. My guess is that it would be excellent but that you can probably do as good elsewhere for less.

There is a "one plate lunch" served in the bar/lounge on the 41st floor for, as I recall, about Y1800. It's quite decent and reasonable, I would choose it over the hotel deli lunch served in the place on the first floor. Lunch in Girandole is about Y3300 and it's also nice.

Best deal for the New York Grill is weekday lunch for about Y5000. I think you can usually order a small steak as one of the options, there is in addition a salad buffet and a dessert buffet included.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 1:30 am

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)

Yes, TBH I thought the servings were small, too fancy & not worth the coin.

We also had the pre-ordered breakfast.....complete opposite to the dinner.

We also had the Tomahawk at the NY Grill - fantastic!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:22 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Been there twice.

The first time was about 2-3 years ago. It was awesome! Great Kaiseki dinner even to our picky standards. The price was not expensive considering the quality.

The second time was about 4 months ago. No. The quality has deteriorated a lot. Could be because our expectation was too high. Although we paid the same as the first time, it wasn't worth the money due to the not-so-great quality food. Too much fusion for our taste.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:20 am

Kozue is not unusually expensive for a Japanese restaurant in a high-end hotel by any means; on the contrary its prices are quite reasonable.

I have not been to Kozue recently. For Japanese cuisine I would suggest heading to Japanese Hotels (New Otani, The Palace, etc...), or going out to non-hotel restaurants. The Michelin guide in Tokyo is not always completely reliable, and is far from an exhaustive list of the city's best restaurants, but it is a very useful resource for finding good restaurants that are unlikely to disappoint.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:42 am

Lots of different opinions! Maybe I'll try it for lunch or something.

I also read the hotel is offering portable Wifi devices and SIM cards for rent. Has anyone tried these?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:24 am

All PH restaurants are quite good, and even if Kozue is not quite what it once was it is unlikely to disappoint most guests, especially if one does not have a lot of experience eating Japanese cuisine. The atmosphere and views are stunning of course.

I would make dinner at NY Grill a priority, and think you should definitely also have lunch and/or dinner at Girandole. If you are unsure about Kozue, I think trying it first for lunch is a good idea.

Here is the Kozue Menu.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Mar 11, 2013 at 7:32 am
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:07 pm

I also read the hotel is offering portable Wifi devices and SIM cards for rent. Has anyone tried these?
What the hotel is loaning as far as I know (and I certainly don't know all of the services of this hotel despite my many stays) is a Japanese mobile phone capable of making and receiving calls and text messages. There is no charge to borrow the phone if it is returned undamaged. You are only billed for the calls and texts you originate, at the hotel's cost plus 20%. It's a very fair deal.

If you discover they offer wifi devices too, that would be great to know.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:48 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
What the hotel is loaning as far as I know (and I certainly don't know all of the services of this hotel despite my many stays) is a Japanese mobile phone capable of making and receiving calls and text messages. There is no charge to borrow the phone if it is returned undamaged. You are only billed for the calls and texts you originate, at the hotel's cost plus 20%. It's a very fair deal.

If you discover they offer wifi devices too, that would be great to know.
I called and spoke to the hotel regarding an upcoming stay. They said they offer portable wifi devices for rent for 2500 JPY a day.

Last edited by baliktad; Mar 11, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.