Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by hailstorm
My personal opinion, if there's another use for the points, I'd just as soon take the Park View room, especially if you've never stayed in it before, as it's already huge by Japan standards.
Agreed. The Park View rooms are spacious corner rooms and have great views from the bath tub... Something none of my Park Suites have had so far (even though I understand some do have those). They are also part of the Diamond upgrade pool.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Problem with this unadvertised rate...

If you're traveling in April, then this post may also be interest to you:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel...att-tokyo.html
So just for fun I booked a room with this rate - cannot see what the actual price is (rate is confidential) and HEADS UP - Gold Passport Customer Service is UNABLE to cancel the reservation for me. They say I have to cancel it via the travel agency that booked it...I will call back tomorrow and try again, but if anyone else has used this rate I'd be curious to know what it is, and if you've been able to cancel a reservation, please let us know how you did it!
Thx,
ST
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SportsTech
So just for fun I booked a room with this rate - cannot see what the actual price is (rate is confidential) and HEADS UP - Gold Passport Customer Service is UNABLE to cancel the reservation for me. They say I have to cancel it via the travel agency that booked it...I will call back tomorrow and try again, but if anyone else has used this rate I'd be curious to know what it is, and if you've been able to cancel a reservation, please let us know how you did it!
Thx,
ST
Well, I did say in the original post:

Unlike the regular 4th Night Free promotion, this one is a full prepayment/non refundable rate, and the rate description is a lot more vague, making it unclear whether or not the fourth night is actually zero yen, so doing this is not without risk. Let the buyer beware...
Good luck.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Well, I did say in the original post:

Good luck.
Not complaining - but nothing in the booking info indicates/indicated that it was a prepayment rate nonrefundable rate - in fact, the rate details (post booking) indicated that it could be cancelled up to 24 hours prior to arrival without penalty. The problem - now corrected for me by Hyatt Reservation support - was that Gold Passport Customer Service was unable to cancel it, and it couldn't be cancelled online either.

I'm actually really curious as to just how good this rate is!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SportsTech
Not complaining - but nothing in the booking info indicates/indicated that it was a prepayment rate nonrefundable rate - in fact, the rate details (post booking) indicated that it could be cancelled up to 24 hours prior to arrival without penalty. The problem - now corrected for me by Hyatt Reservation support - was that Gold Passport Customer Service was unable to cancel it, and it couldn't be cancelled online either.

I'm actually really curious as to just how good this rate is!
Interesting that the booking didn't say it was non-refundable even though the rate description did. That was the sole reason why I didn't try booking it myself.

Given the data you've provided, it would seem that this was a wholesale rate that Hyatt provided to other internet reservations companies to resell...which would explain why the prices were so low when they were coming up.

Glad you were able to sort this out!
Old Mar 2, 2013, 9:08 pm

Well, after years of following everything related to this hotel, I booked my ticket for early April and finally made my first reservation at the Park Hyatt. I'll be arriving in the afternoon, staying overnight at the PH, and then going to Kyoto for 3 days...then back to Tokyo for six whole nights in a Park Suite Twin!

I was deciding between a Park View room or using points for a suite upgrade and decided to just go for the suite, you only live once, etc. I'm on a pretty strict budget until the trip but I know it'll be worth it.

I'm sure I'll be posting a few questions here over the next few weeks. Really appreciate all the feedback and stories from the PH vets like MikeinTokyo, RichardinSF, Hailstorm, and everybody else!
Old Mar 5, 2013, 1:02 am

Good Luck Everyone.

Last edited by IDarionMgI; May 8, 2013 at 5:40 am
Old Mar 5, 2013, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IDarionMgI
A slight variation on the previous questions, I have two free suite nights as a Diamond member through the Hyatt Chase. I booked my room in Tokyo today, and noticed in the email that it is a Park View King, and not a suite. It almost seems to me though the Park View King might be the better room for me, as the suite doesn't have a guaranteed window by the tub, and it seems most of the windows are in the "office" area (I'd like to have a nice view from the bed). Is this a mistake? Not having to spend any extra points, is the suite obviously the better choice? A bit of a picky question, but I've been looking forward to my stay for awhile now, it will be my first time in Tokyo. Thanks!
I'd feign ignorance of the situation, make a scene at check-in over how you're not getting your guaranteed suite, and hope that they give you the Presidential Suite as an apology.

Seriously, only you can answer that question for yourself. As I generally go as a party of three, the extra space of the Park Suite really enhances our stay. But if you're traveling alone or with one other, and you don't mind passing up a room with twice the list value, it's possible that the Park View would work for you.

You also get a free bottle of wine with the suite, if that matters to you.

The bottom line is that there's no such thing as a "bad" room at the Park Hyatt Tokyo, and you'll have a wonderful time regardless of how you choose to proceed.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:05 am

I am new to (all hotel points programs) especially the Hyatt program. I have the 2 nites with the Chase Hyatt CC and the Gold status that comes with it. I am going to be in Tokyo for 5 nights (28 Nov - 2 Dec). Can I use my 2 nites and points for the remainder and then upgrade to something larger for points? Since I will be traveling as a party of 3, is there a recomendation of the room that I should try for to accomadate us all. I have never booked anything this involved before. The trip includes Airline awards to go to Seoul, Korea for 2 weeks and then Japan for 2 months. Any info / help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by GRIZMANfromJAPAN
I am new to (all hotel points programs) especially the Hyatt program. I have the 2 nites with the Chase Hyatt CC and the Gold status that comes with it. I am going to be in Tokyo for 5 nights (28 Nov - 2 Dec). Can I use my 2 nites and points for the remainder and then upgrade to something larger for points? Since I will be traveling as a party of 3, is there a recomendation of the room that I should try for to accomadate us all. I have never booked anything this involved before. The trip includes Airline awards to go to Seoul, Korea for 2 weeks and then Japan for 2 months. Any info / help with this would be greatly appreciated.
If two of the three people do not mind sharing one bed, my suggestion would be to book a standard Park Twin room with your CC nights and points. You could then pay an upsell to be confirmed in a Park Deluxe Twin, which will be more spacious. This is only available as a cash upgrade, and the rate difference is usually a modest amount between these two categories.

If you want more space, another option would be to reserve the first three nights in a Park Suite Twin (33k points*3 = 99k total), and then use your cc nights for the last two nights. The hotel "might" give you an upgrade and let you remain in the suite for all five nights.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 8:57 pm

Is the location of the PH really that bad? Everyone I've spoken to about the hotel has said to consider the Peninsula or even the Shangri-La because getting to and from the PH while you're sightseeing can be a pain.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 2:00 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Bad is a little of an overstatement.... But it's not a very interesting location, even though you can get to Shinjuku in about 5-10 minutes, and to the station in about 15.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 3:46 am

In Tokyo, a good or convenient location is always relative, and depends where one wants to go.

In my opinion the Grand Hyatt has the best location for leisure visits, as it is very central and convenient to most places you are likely to go as a tourist. That said you will be fine wherever you choose to stay.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nycnyc
Is the location of the PH really that bad? Everyone I've spoken to about the hotel has said to consider the Peninsula or even the Shangri-La because getting to and from the PH while you're sightseeing can be a pain.
If you can't walk 10 or 15 minutes to get where you are going, or can't afford to take a cab a few times, then the Park Hyatt Tokyo isn't for you. Personally, I've never found the location anywhere near inconvenient enough for it to be a deal breaker for me.

A much graver concern is that you'll like the hotel so much that you'll reduce your sightseeing time to spend more time there. I spent a two night stay there last month without ever descending below the 41st floor...
Old Mar 9, 2013, 7:26 am

If you can't walk 10 or 15 minutes to get where you are going, or can't afford to take a cab a few times, then the Park Hyatt Tokyo isn't for you. Personally, I've never found the location anywhere near inconvenient enough for it to be a deal breaker for me.

A much graver concern is that you'll like the hotel so much that you'll reduce your sightseeing time to spend more time there. I spent a two night stay there last month without ever descending below the 41st floor...
Nice tone. I'm a New Yorker so walking and cabbing it are natural to me. Thanks though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.