Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2010, 3:15 pm

I had a very nice stay after Christmas with hyatt points, excellent service .. great food in the restaurants and very expensive as well. they were expecting me with upgrade to a corner room in the 47th floor. not sure if it is called park view room ?

here the photo gallery.

http://worldphotojournal.com/2010/02...-room-gallery/

and a panoramic view from the room..

Old Feb 7, 2010, 3:28 pm

great photos

Thanks for pointing these - makes me even more excited for a couple of upcoming stays at the PH Tokyo.

Is the general consensus that the airport limousine bus is still the easiest way to get to the hotel if not familiar with the hotel shuttle location?
Old Feb 7, 2010, 4:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by gaschurman
I had a very nice stay after Christmas with hyatt points, excellent service .. great food in the restaurants and very expensive as well. they were expecting me with upgrade to a corner room in the 47th floor. not sure if it is called park view room ?

here the photo gallery.

http://worldphotojournal.com/2010/02...-room-gallery/

and a panoramic view from the room..
Love the photos and the Canon 50D is an amazing camera!
I was under the impression that diamonds only get upgraded to the deluxe room, especially on award stays, as according to other posts on here.

Last edited by peteropny; Feb 8, 2010 at 8:08 pm Reason: remove "quoted" picture
Old Feb 7, 2010, 4:06 pm

the limousine bus worked for me perfect, they have drop off locations for the most known hotels including the Park Hyatt. there are several locations so the bus will not go around the whole city, just a few hotels. my bus stopped in 2 hotels in shinjuku area before the park hyatt. (including hyatt regency)

it took less than 1 hour but it was sunday and no traffic, not sure on a weekday or rush hour.

I just checked my credit card receipt and it says 70 CAD for 2 people (around 32 USD per person)

I don't think there's a better option, but you can take the narita express to shinjuku and then a taxi. I did research that option but when I got to narita they said you can save time (depending on train or limousine schedules and traffic) but not sure about money.

the limousine bus terminal is right outside of the terminal 10 steps out of the door, is very well organized with signs and people that will help you out to find your lane to wat. It looks like this:

Originally Posted by speedytimmy
Thanks for pointing these - makes me even more excited for a couple of upcoming stays at the PH Tokyo.

Is the general consensus that the airport limousine bus is still the easiest way to get to the hotel if not familiar with the hotel shuttle location?
Old Feb 7, 2010, 4:15 pm

thanks..

during the same trip I stayed PH Tokyo, PH Beijing, and Grand Hyatt Bali.

In tokyo I got a that park view corner room (it was huge).

in beijing I had the option to upgrade but I preferred the corner room because it had a nicer view to the city.

bali had already prepared the upgrade to an executive suite near the beach and sea view.

all with points.. I think it is based on the hotel .. there's no rule about it. there's no guarantee either maybe based on availability and hotel manager I guess.

Originally Posted by crystak
Love the photos and the Canon 50D is an amazing camera!
I was under the impression that diamonds only get upgraded to the deluxe room, especially on award stays, as according to other posts on here.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:40 am

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
Finishing up my 3 night stay on FFN. I'm in love with PHT - it's every bit as good as everyone said it was. Check-in was a breeze. Received a flower bouquet as a birthday gift. Got upgraded and received a deluxe king room. I like the minimalist decor very much (except for the carpet), and the Mister likes the warm and helpful Toto toilet. Used the bath tub with the Aesop bath salt nightly; after so much walking around, it was very relaxing to lie in the tub with the soothing channel 34 french music in the background.

Had comped buffet breakfast with eggs. I'm not a big breakfast eater, and the pastries were good, but I think the breakfast buffet at the Conrad Tokyo was better with a bigger selection including Japanese items and lox. (Well, it is a bigger hotel.)

The service really is fantastic and everyone was so polite and seemed eager to assist. Everything was replenished at turn down. Got great recommendations from the concierge.

Dinner at Kozue was good. We were stuffed as a set was really too much food for me, and we ordered an extra blowfish dish just to try it. I love sushi but I thought blowfish was too fishy for my taste. Our server brought out candles and a rose as my birthday gift - very nice touch!

Enjoyed the wet and dry sauna at the spa. Went up to the NY Bar to check it out but didn't stay as it was a bit smoky. It had been raining for 2 nights so couldn't see much anyway. Too bad we didn't catch the cherry blossom since we're leaving in the morning.

Wishing we didn't have to leave yet. Will definitely return and stay longer in the future. This is my favorite hotel now!
Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA PP, Hyatt DM, Marriott SE, SPG Gold
Just had a great stay here on FFN, one night at PH Tokyo , then four in Kyoto, then two more back at the PH Tokyo... upgraded to Park View coming, Park Deluxe going. Honestly, there's not much difference between the two. The swimming pool and workout area is ginormous, the service ridiculously efficient, the breakfast was outstanding. Just a fantastic hotel. As an added plus I watched "Lost in Translation" on the AVOD on the flight over. Agree that the NY bar is smoky, and its $12 for a freaking Budweiser... that cuts pretty deep into the sushi budget.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:30 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even a tacky looking club in Tokyo will charge Y800-900 = $9-10 for a beer, so I'd say the additional charge for the NY bar isn't very much by local standards. The real win is that Diamonds no longer have to pay the Y2000 cover charge.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:05 pm

Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Even a tacky looking club in Tokyo will charge Y800-900 = $9-10 for a beer, so I'd say the additional charge for the NY bar isn't very much by local standards. The real win is that Diamonds no longer have to pay the Y2000 cover charge.
Yeah, price like that is normal at a high-end hotel in Japan. I didn't have a problem with the price but I did have a problem with their smoking policy. There was no segregation in the bar area so my jacket and clothes smelled horrible after spending an hour there. I mentioned that to the management and they ended up giving me 5000 pts in return. A nice gesture, but that doesn't solve the problem though.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 3:27 pm

New York Grill menu

Does New York Grill only offer a buffet option for lunch? I'm not exactly interested in a appetizers and dessert buffet. I just want a nice rare big thick juicy piece of meat! Just wondering if it would be possible to have a a la carte menu for lunch instead...

Are the options for beef the same for lunch and dinner? At the moment, there are 4 options for lunch - Australian ribeye, Yamagata ribeye, Yonesawa sirlion (this is what I want to eat! ) and Sendai tenderloin.

I would be perfectly happy just eating a larger cut of meat and nothing else. Can we get that option for lunch or/and dinner?

Many thanks.

Last edited by phaleesy; Mar 30, 2010 at 3:38 pm
Old Apr 5, 2010, 5:33 am

Having read recent reviews in this thread, I'm somewhat puzzled by the upgrades for diamonds on FFN stays.

I was at the PHT over the weekend. Room 4610. A pokey little room which a friend told me was the standard room. From the floor plan, it is the smallest room on the floor. That is fine, since it's a 'free night' and I shouldn't really be complaining. It is a south facing room. Not sure if it's South-east or South-west. Yogigi Park and the Tokyo tower is on the left.

On checking out today, I asked if I could have a different view for my next stay (the coming Saturday- also on a FFN). I was then told all standard rooms face this direction. If I want a different view, I would have to pay for a deluxe room. So 1) it seems as a diamond, I would be getting the standard room on a FFN again, and 2) all the pokey rooms face the same direction!

I'm not exactly fuss about getting a small room or not getting an upgrade (though it seems everyone here and people I know had a deluxe room on FFN, and I'm the exception?). I'm mainly concerned about the view from the room! I'm currently lugging a tripod and fisheye across Kansai because a friend said I could turn off all the lights in the room and catch Tokyo at its best at night- shimmering lights, skyscrapers, etc. From Room 4610, I see this big black patch (Yogigi Gardens), low rise buildings and very little light at night. Very disappointing!

Does anyone know what the upgrade policy (if any) is for FFN stays?

Last edited by phaleesy; Apr 5, 2010 at 5:40 am
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVP Gold, AA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by phaleesy
Having read recent reviews in this thread, I'm somewhat puzzled by the upgrades for diamonds on FFN stays.

I was at the PHT over the weekend. Room 4610. A pokey little room which a friend told me was the standard room. From the floor plan, it is the smallest room on the floor. That is fine, since it's a 'free night' and I shouldn't really be complaining. It is a south facing room. Not sure if it's South-east or South-west. Yogigi Park and the Tokyo tower is on the left.

On checking out today, I asked if I could have a different view for my next stay (the coming Saturday- also on a FFN). I was then told all standard rooms face this direction. If I want a different view, I would have to pay for a deluxe room. So 1) it seems as a diamond, I would be getting the standard room on a FFN again, and 2) all the pokey rooms face the same direction!

I'm not exactly fuss about getting a small room or not getting an upgrade (though it seems everyone here and people I know had a deluxe room on FFN, and I'm the exception?). I'm mainly concerned about the view from the room! I'm currently lugging a tripod and fisheye across Kansai because a friend said I could turn off all the lights in the room and catch Tokyo at its best at night- shimmering lights, skyscrapers, etc. From Room 4610, I see this big black patch (Yogigi Gardens), low rise buildings and very little light at night. Very disappointing!

I stayed here for 4 nights using NBT nights in January.
Was upgraded to a deluxe room facing Mt. Fuji
I'm guessing they were fully booked so you weren't upgraded?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by phaleesy

There is no difference between a regular and point/free night redemption stay. You should always get the best available room as a Diamond member.

At Park Hyatt, it is all about understatement. Considering that you are in Japan, I would also recommend not to force the issue during the check-in process, in other words, an email should do wonders.

Email the property, report your recent experience and ask what room might be available for your next stay. If you do not have any history with Hyatt or if you are a newly comped Diamond member, I would not expect too much, if the property is booked solid and/or many more Diamond members are enjoying a higher priority in terms of getting upgrades. Normally, the responsible staff at such a property will meet every morning to go through the list of people checking in to determine which room will be made available for each guest.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 9:59 am

Thanks for your comments, FD1971 and chang9121990.

You may be right about the hotel being full over the weekend. It is peak sakura season in Tokyo after all. Most of these posts relating to deluxe rooms were stays made during winter.

I'm just taken aback by the checkout person telling me that I would have to PAY for a deluxe room if I wanted a different view. Firstly, I was not aware that the standard rooms face one direction only - that the 'nicer' views of Shinjuku or Mt Fuji can only be seen from the higher category rooms.

Secondly, I was not asking for an upgrade. I was only asking if it would be possible if I could get a different view next Saturday. (obvious I was not aware that a different view meant a category upgrade but now I know!).

I am also not one of those loud rude obnoxious people who bang on the counter, flinging their status cards and demanding an upgrade. I'm a meek, quiet and unassuming girl, which was why I thought the comment made by the check-out person was inappropriate and uncalled for.

I am a newly minted diamond and this is my first time at the PHT. I am aware of the 'pecking' order. But right now, I am reconsidering whether I should actively court the PHT or bring my business elsewhere. Guests who stay on FFNs could still potentially spend a fair amount on spa treatments, restaurants and the bar...

Last edited by phaleesy; Apr 5, 2010 at 10:07 am
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by gijoe24jp
I didn't have a problem with the price but I did have a problem with their smoking policy. There was no segregation in the bar area so my jacket and clothes smelled horrible after spending an hour there. I mentioned that to the management and they ended up giving me 5000 pts in return. A nice gesture, but that doesn't solve the problem though.
What were you expecting? It's a farkin' bar, not a hospital. Very generous of the management to give you anything for a situation of your own making.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.