Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2001, 5:47 am

I read in a Japanese paper last week. This property slightly lifted room rates due to strong demand. So did the Westin Tokyo. The St. Regis is opening in 2004 in Tokyo and will command prices along the line of the Park Hyatt, the paper, Nihon Keizai Shimbun, said.
Old Feb 15, 2001, 6:47 pm

Programs: Many
Easily one of the top 2 or 3 hotels in Tokyo,
IMHO. I stayed there 2 years ago using
GP points. I would go way out of my way
to stay here again.

A little story from my stay...It was mid-afternoon and my wife and I were in the room getting ready to go meet an acquaintance. We had a book we brought from the states to give him. I thought it would be nice to wrap it in some of those nice Japanese papers, so I called down to the concierge, who knew what I was looking for. I had literally just put the phone down (I still swear to this day that my hand was still on it, when there was a knock at the door. Lo and behold, it was someone from the staff with the requested wrapping papers. All I can figure is that they have concierge staff on each floor, and as I was on the phone
with one of them, he/she was directing an associate what to do and where to deliver it whilst I was on the phone.

There were a few other, lesser examples,
but my wife still shakes her head over the incredible service level in this hotel.
Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately given the tariff) my wife prefers the mountain countryside of Gifu-ken prefecture to Tokyo.

Old Mar 28, 2001, 12:45 am

Park Hyatt Tokyo - Restaurants

Hi all:

I'm planning to stay at the Park in Tokyo next month. I've heard a lot of accolades about the New York Grill, but I was wondering if anybody has tried the other restaurants - Girandole, Kozue, etc.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards
Old Mar 28, 2001, 6:42 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Kozue was outstanding.
Old Mar 28, 2001, 9:07 am
Original Member

Just got back last weekend from this hotel. We ate at all three restaurants, here are the reviewsL

Girandole - This is the restaurant that serves breakfast, and also has a la carte and set menus for lunch and dinner. The slant is towards italian with a japanese flair. We only had breakfast there but it was outstanding,

Kozue - This has bento boxes, shabu shabu, as well as traditional japanese meals. Food here is outstanding but just as pricy as the New York Grill. The Shabu Shabu was great. Dinner for two was about $250.

New York Grill - We had an outstanding dinner here, but reserved three weeks in advance and still had problems getting a reservation. The steak is the big attraction and absolutely melt in your mouth delicious! Well worth the $300 we spent on dinner One glass of wine and a 3 course dinner for 2 people).
Old Mar 28, 2001, 12:08 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
Girandole is fine, but not much atmosphere -- and they don't make as good drinks and NY Grill. And while you can easily spend $300 per couple at the NY Grill you can have a fine meal with a drink for $100 per. I have always been able to get into the NY Grill when staying at the hotel -- if you don't mind having dinner late, say 9:30 or so, I've just gone up and presented myself and they have set up a table -- or you can eat at the counter watching the chefs! Have never done Kozue. Enjoy!
Old Dec 16, 2001, 4:59 am

May I bring this thread again?

Park Hyatt Tokyo, despite Japan's sluggish economy, the hotel managed to redefine the luxury boutique hotel concept in a most pleasant and contemporary way. It boosts the average of 95% occupancy rate; now that is a remarkable achievement in light of the current economy.

I have stayed at this property hundreds of nights so have some of my friends. What concern us recently is the very rapid turnover of its formerly competenet professional staff including the management.

While the hotel does a meticulous job of maintaining its facilities and shines as classy and contemporary as ever, for us many long-term patrons, the recent noticable decline of the service by concieges, bell-boys, and even the management is something to feel concerned about.

I love this hotel; otherwise I would not have spent over 200 nights here; the staff are like family; however, my friends and I have noticed that the more able staff are leaving the hotel, a major concern for us regulars. And I would venture to say the current top Japanese management, ( though the GM is an English gentleman) does not have a panache for managing or dealing with
boutique clientels. Sure the hotel is the
favorite of all the celebrities who visits Tokyo including the most recent stay by Tom Cruise, I hear. But at the rate they charge, Hyatt International should realize that regular patrons don't simply stay because of the wonderful facilities and views; they expect respectable service and follow the competent top management, where-ever they go.

In a couple of years, Tokyo will have the successive openings of the super high-end international boutique hotels that would directly compete with Park Hyatt. They include, 55 room Marunouchi Four Seasons in front of Tokyo Station, St. Regis in Shimabshi, Peninsula Hotel near the Imperial as well as Mandarin Oriental in Nihonbashi.
Also a spectacular Grand Hyatt is opening in two years in a major Roppongi development area.

I hope Hyatt International management recognizes this and start thinking about what PHT must do to face these competiton.

Old Dec 16, 2001, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Kanetaka-sama: I seem to be following you around the boards this morning - nothing personal!

I have posted my opinion on this property in other threads. It is one of the finest hotels I have ever stayed in. I was a guest for 10 days in 1997; I believe it was still a fairly "new" property then. I was impressed with everything about this establishment, including the highly competent personnel.

You mention two problems: unprecendented high turnover and declining service provided by personnel. This is surprising in such a high-end property, especially in the cultural context of Japan where such an emphasis is placed on service. Also, the economy is still slow, so why the high turnover? I would assume that the Park Hyatt Tokyo has a loyal following of return clients such as yourself; it's a shame they may risk losing this valuable asset. Have you contacted management or Hyatt directly?

P.S. A Grand Hyatt in Roppongi?! I remember this neighborhood as being quite young and "in" ... maybe it's changed a bit?
Old Dec 16, 2001, 12:09 pm

Monsieur Blairvanhorn,

Bon soir monsieur. I feel like practicing my elementary French having just returned from a 48 hour sojourn to Paris from New York. I did stay at Madeleine as posted here in another thread and enjoyed my stay and shopping and faire de promenade very much.

I just also got back from Japan so this morning has been my jetlag morning; so alert at an ungodly 5 am. This month,it almost seems I reside in the valleys of jetlags
or jetstreams, so to speak.

Now back on the topic of PHT. It is still one of Tokyo's THE premier hotel and that seems to be the problem ,inflicting a sense of snobbism and 'oh well, we are always full
with celebrities no matter how bad the economy is in Japan' attitude. I remember when they first opened 7 years ago, then GM, the most capable and likable who now heads Hyatt International in Asia Pacific,(I would say rightfuly so ) as well as his team of assistant managers worked so hard and did every thing possible to make our stays as pleasant,welcome and trouble free as possible. Those days were truly remakable and their team succeeded in overturning the old boys, THe Imperial, The Okura and The New Otani in the class below.

The second GM who was, for some reason or another sent over from Hyatt Regency Saipan, was a near disaster. Despite my 100 plus stays during his rather brief tenure, he could not even recognize me in the hallway.
( and this is a 180 room only BOUTIQUE PARK HYATT.)

The current management, mainly junior management consisted of the Japanese certainly lack the charm, finess and tact that I would dare expect from this property as a long term patron. and believe me this opinion is shared by many others who have stayed there many times. Okay, its Hyatt, but it is one of the most expensive PH in the world and boosts one of the highest revenues in Hyatt International chain.

If you stay here a few times a year, you might not notice these often inner-workings of the hotel. But, the high-turnover of particularly good middle management does suggest something. N'est ce pas?

Incidentally, despite the state of economy in Japan as reported as it is, it is more like a dichotomy created. You would be surprised to know how some restaurants and a few hotels are doing quite well. I would expect major departures of even more able management to be headhunted to upcoming superstar hotels very soon.

As for the Grand Hyatt Roppongi, it is about 7 minute walk west of the busy Roppongi junction. It will be a part of a huge 'Roppongi Hills' urban development that includes an enormous 45 story office tower as well as Museum of Modern Art Tokyo Branch and a TV station studio. Plus several super premium condominums to go with them. The hotel is expected to have about 450 rooms.

I am curious to see what just might happen to the future of this hotel. The hotel is owned by TOKYO GAS who owns the Kenzo Tange designed skyscrapers and managed by Hyatt International. Quite interesting to see how Grand Hyatt in Roppongi, which is much more centrally located, will compete with PHT, not no mention the upcoming Peninsula, Four Seasons and St. Regis...

I shall look forward to more recontre avec toi a bien tot.

Merci,

Kaoru

Old Apr 11, 2002, 7:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
I will be visiting Tokyo (leisure) in May of this year (my last visit was January, 2000). This will be my first stay at the Park Hyatt Tokyo (Diamond Gold Passport member, four nights on Faster Free Nights award).

Any general suggestions related to this hotel or Tokyo will be most welcome. Is it true Diamond members receive complimentary health club access? Is there any special room or type I should request when checking in? Are there any suggested restaurants in the vicinity (other than the hotel's New York Grill)? Is there a location nearby with internet access?
Old Apr 12, 2002, 12:26 pm

Just a general Tokyo suggestion, if you like Electronics, you have to go visit Sony! You can walk through and see all of the newest electronics that haven't been released outside of Japan yet.

Other than everybody's suggestion about the New York Grill, I can't think of any *must eat* places in Japan. One of my favorite ways to eat though (and I can't think of the Japanese word for the type of establishment) is going to those bars that you can order different meats grilled on skewers, and drink little beers. Take some friends and spend a few hours!
Old Apr 12, 2002, 12:37 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NickyD:
One of my favorite ways to eat though (and I can't think of the Japanese word for the type of establishment) is going to those bars that you can order different meats grilled on skewers, and drink little beers.</font>
They are called "Yakitori" places.

I'll also be using my awards at the Park form 5/31 - 6/3. My third stay in this awesome hotel...Looking forward to it!!!
Old Apr 14, 2002, 11:56 am
DCW

I will also be using my award in late April, I want to use it in May but it was all full when I call in late Feb.

The is a very good Tempura rest. in the Sony building (I think either in basement or ground floor).
Old Apr 15, 2002, 12:06 am

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
Diamond members, DO get comped gym useage. One of the nicest views of the city, so you should try it out.
Also there are laser discs in the room and you have a choice of some reasonable entertainment gratis.

Wander around Shinzuku , Omotosando, the Ginza . Most restaurants have English menu's and take credit cards (unlike the taxi's).

One of my alltime favourite hotels. Enjoy.
Old Apr 22, 2002, 9:58 pm

IMHO, the New York Grill is absolutely over-rated in terms of quality of their food. The view is one of the most awesome ones, though. So I suggest you might stop by the bar for a drink. But then if you are staying there, you might have the similar view from your room....

the New York Grill got most comments from Zagat survey in Tokyo. It does not mean it got the highest rating on food. At the price they charge, they should be alot better.

Few people do not use the basement shopping/restaurant floor, called Park Avenue, accessible with only one of the three elevators.. the one that goes down to the parking lot. At level B1, there is a wonderful Sushi Bar, Sushi Shun. and there is a high-end convenience shop to stock up to avoid their exorbitant room service charges if you are staying for several nights. Even a post office and a nice hair salon and a quick massage shop as well as full-service Kinokuniya book shop.

I think one of the best ways to enjoy the hotel is not to go out of the property much, since the facility; gym, pool, spa and rooms are just so superb. Its a waste if you are staying there and try to do lots of merry-go arounds of Tokyo, IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.