Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2014, 10:12 am

Suite Upgrade Cert - To do or Not to do

Hi All,

Will be staying four nights at the PHT next month using HGP @ 22,000/night (pre-devaluation). I have a suite upgrade certificate and was wondering if I should use it or not.

I was thinking of switching one of the nights to points+cash (15,000+$300) for one night and applying the upgrade, and then hoping they'll let me stay in the suite without moving me back to the normal Park King for the remainder of the stay.

Is the extra $300 worth it, or should I just try my luck and ask for a complimentary upgrade to a Park View King at check-in.

Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2014, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by nsmn4945
Hi All,

Will be staying four nights at the PHT next month using HGP @ 22,000/night (pre-devaluation). I have a suite upgrade certificate and was wondering if I should use it or not.

I was thinking of switching one of the nights to points+cash (15,000+$300) for one night and applying the upgrade, and then hoping they'll let me stay in the suite without moving me back to the normal Park King for the remainder of the stay.

Is the extra $300 worth it, or should I just try my luck and ask for a complimentary upgrade to a Park View King at check-in.

Thanks!
From my past experience as a Diamond, they have moved me to a best available room even a suite was available.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
From my past experience as a Diamond, they have moved me to a best available room even a suite was available.
Thank you for the info. That is what I have also read in the forums. I'll try my luck then.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by nsmn4945
Hi All,

Thanks!
One night on cash and points will not get you upgraded to a suite for the remaining award nights. If the majority of your nights were fully paid and you just had a few award nights, your chances of being allowed to remain in the suite on the award nights would be much better.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
One night on cash and points will not get you upgraded to a suite for the remaining award nights. If the majority of your nights were fully paid and you just had a few award nights, your chances of being allowed to remain in the suite on the award nights would be much better.
Are we now talking about certainties and chances or total assurance?

The only guarantee on paper terms for him to stay in a suite the entire time is to book all nights under an eligible rate and use the SNA.

The practical experience of yours truly is that so far I have ALWAYS stayed in a Suite unless one single time when I got the Park View Corner Room which I absolutely loved as well because of the bathtub with a view.

If Suites are sold out he can't get one, obviously. If there is one available he will be able to keep it.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 10:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (WIKI)

But if you book a suite for just one night, chances are that it won't be available for the full period..... But when staying on the cheap it might be a worthy gamble, assuming the first night in a suite is available.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
The practical experience of yours truly is that so far I have ALWAYS stayed in a Suite unless one single time when I got the Park View Corner Room which I absolutely loved as well because of the bathtub with a view.

If Suites are sold out he can't get one, obviously. If there is one available he will be able to keep it.
Well, the little twerps wanted me to move to a lower category room for the second night of a two-night stay because the first night was paid and got the customary diamond upgrade to whatever the next category was, while the second night was on points.

I told them where they could stick their room move, and they relented, but that wasn't their first opening gambit.

I guess in the case of a suite, they would be delighted to force you to move, available suite or not.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Pickles
Well, the little twerps wanted me to move to a lower category room for the second night of a two-night stay because the first night was paid and got the customary diamond upgrade to whatever the next category was, while the second night was on points.

I told them where they could stick their room move, and they relented, but that wasn't their first opening gambit.

I guess in the case of a suite, they would be delighted to force you to move, available suite or not.
Don't really understand the attitude towards something that you were not entitled to. Were "the little twerps" infringing on your human rights by asking you to move to the room that was only better than the one that you booked?

Anyway, you pulled DYKWIA and won, so good for you, I guess.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:58 pm
formerly lcag08

I thought Diamond benefits were supposed to apply to point bookings too?
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lcag08
I thought Diamond benefits were supposed to apply to point bookings too?
Diamond benefits apply to point bookings. Diamond suite upgrades only apply to paid rates.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC

I think you have to elaborate on the room types we are talking about here. Do you point to a Park Suite or just a regular Park View King when you talk about 'Customary Diamond Upgrade'?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:00 am
formerly lcag08

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Diamond benefits apply to point bookings. Diamond suite upgrades only apply to paid rates.
Yes, Pickles mentioned that he/she was downgraded from the 'customary diamond upgrade to whatever the next category was' due to staying on points on the 2nd night. No mention of a certificate.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I think you have to elaborate on the room types we are talking about here. Do you point to a Park Suite or just a regular Park View King when you talk about 'Customary Diamond Upgrade'?
It sounds like this was a regular room upgrade, in which case the poster was quite right to refuse to move. The hotel should either upgrade a guest for the entire stay or not at all.

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Don't really understand the attitude towards something that you were not entitled to. Were "the little twerps" infringing on your human rights by asking you to move to the room that was only better than the one that you booked?

Anyway, you pulled DYKWIA and won, so good for you, I guess.
I don't think it is DYKWIA behavior to refuse to be pushed around. Asking a guest to move like that is twerpy behavior.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 7:00 pm

Just wanted to share: Decided to bite the bullet and return to the PH for my birthday in late March so I booked a 6 night stay! After a tumultuous past few months in my personal life, I'm really looking forward to relaxing and enjoying a great stay.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 1:18 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

After more than 10 years of staying at this hotel, today was the very first time I used the spa. I hadn't even set foot in it before. All I can say is that free use of the spa, a diamond amenity here, is a heck of a treat and very relaxing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.