Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold.
My wife and I will be there for a long weekend in a few days and staying in a townhouse suite using a DSU. I will try and post some pictures, will also see if I receive any pushback regarding breakfast.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Just completed a 3 night stay. Burned some Points. Was assigned Room 529.

Views- We were on the lower level. Partially blocked by trees & plants. However was pleased.

Room- The refurbish was evident. Newer bed, shower, ect. However there is that dampness that you get from being on the water. Also a little smell of "old" in the property. Fireplace worked great. Nearly full wall sliding glass door opens up to nice size outdoor area with two chairs.

Property- pretty much stairs everywhere. parking was no problem. Again its older and it shows but still maintained well. Very quiet and cozy place.

Carmel- Was here to drink wine. lots of that accomplished. However during my brief research i didn't realize the real program should be to get going a little earlier in the day and head to carmel valley. Fortunately the concierge recommended we head there and then carmel. Glad we took their advice. Very chill spot. Pro tip would be to stop at Lafayette Bakery (the one in the mall; not downtown) on the way out of town for a sandwich or two to bring with. Save cash on the food and spend the limited time at another tasting room. Also-Basically the valley tasting rooms shut down around 5 or so while the carmel tasting rooms close later; like 7-9. So finish in the valley and head back to town for dinner and more. Found many of the carmel ones keep pouring if there is a crowd so closing time didn't seem to strict.

A few were $10, most were $15, a few were $20-25 for reserves. A solid 4-5 if not more at every place to try. Split every tasting with my girlfriend and nobody minded. Bought bottles at most to avoid paying for the tasting. Pretty great time.

Point Lobos- Pretty much a must do if your at all outdoorsy. We took a quick 1.5 hour lap through and think we had a good feel for it. Pay the $10 for parking and get to the good stuff. Its super close to the hotel. Get up, do this, then drink wine. Kind of had a Torrey Pines feel if you have walked that one, with less hills.

Monteray- Concierge was kind of a downer on Monterey. Didn't take their advice and drove up anyway to get a feel of things. Didn't like the vibe. Took 17mile drive back to Carmel. More wine. If your there; do the drive. It was neat but Point Lobos was better if your holding your $10 closely.

Closing Thoughts-
Would i pay $500. No.
$300- Sure.
Happy with value for points. yes
Would i come back. If the deal was right otherwise there were options just as convenient north towards monetary.

For being as old as it is. I liked it.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:31 am
Community Director Emerita

We are returning to the hotel where I have stayed many times. The last two times, I was given a courtesy upgrade to a specialty suite. Once was to one that is in the main building below the dining room. This is my favorite for its views and use of space. We've also had the suite that is at the end of the townhouses, smaller with no kitchenette but has a lovely view to the south. For the upcoming stay, I used a TSU. My upgrade is into a townhouse. I called to express a preference for a suite that is all on one floor. I learned there are 3 such suites on the property. I was told these are specialty suites and I would have to pay several hundred dollars per night. Needless to say, I lost interest.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:31 pm

This property is one of my favorite Hyatts in North America. As a Diamond/Globalist, I have always had a townhouse or suite with a stunning view over Big Sur. I am enjoying our current stay but am noticing more than ever the number of stairs it takes to reach anything. Breakfast used to be served in a room close to ground level in the main building. Now that has been closed, and the interior is being used as a gallery. Breakfast is served in Pacific Edge that is at the top of the property. Yes, you get a great view but I always enjoyed the view from the balcony of the breakfast room. The only elevator in the main building is for staff so it means several sets of steps up to the check in area and Pacific Edge. Pacific Edge has been extended and now has an exterior balcony. I've taken a picture from our room that allows you to see this. We were given townhouse 503. It has the clearest view of the water of any of the townhouses we have had here.

Exterior view of Pacific Edge restaurant and balcony

View from the lounge adjacent to Pacific Edge toward the north

View from room 503 at dusk toward the south
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Stays on points just went up from 25,000 to 30,000 points per night. We love this property and the area.
We booked a stay for September 2018, just before the increase.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA XP, BA G, AS 100K, Hyatt G

We just spent two nights in 508 which is a two floor townhome style suite. This can easily fit 4 adults as there is a full bath with a tub in the bedroom at the lower floor, and another full bath for the top floor which also includes a fully equipped kitchen. The suite and common space though well maintained can definitely use an update. And as mentioned many times in this thread, the ocean view is spectacular, especially at sunset.

Last edited by vudoosj; May 14, 2018 at 11:36 pm Reason: add picture
Old May 16, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
Angry

Originally Posted by beachmiles
Stays on points just went up from 25,000 to 30,000 points per night. We love this property and the area.
We booked a stay for September 2018, just before the increase.
The cash and points rate is now $300 + the 15,000 pts per night, way too much!
Old May 16, 2018, 11:03 am

Yeah it is a category 7. Frankly absurd. I have seen cash rates during some weekdays for under 200, and as nice as this property is location wise, it is insane to be a 7.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA XP, BA G, AS 100K, Hyatt G
Originally Posted by antonius66
Yeah it is a category 7. Frankly absurd... as nice as this property is location wise, it is insane to be a 7.
i agree
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: CO
Suite question

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Hyatt Highlands. Quick question, I plan to use the a globalist upgrade. I read a single level is better than the town house suite. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations from their experience? If ther are any other recommendations or things I need to know that would be great. Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can provide.r
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by markpappai
My wife and I are planning a trip to the Hyatt Highlands. Quick question, I plan to use the a globalist upgrade. I read a single level is better than the town house suite. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations from their experience?

I've stayed here many times. The townhouse is the standard upgrade. I've had one floor suites but when I checked for my last stay, I was told those are specialty suites and not covered by Globalist upgrades. From my Dec 2017 post above:

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We are returning to the hotel where I have stayed many times. The last two times, I was given a courtesy upgrade to a specialty suite. Once was to one that is in the main building below the dining room. This is my favorite for its views and use of space. We've also had the suite that is at the end of the townhouses, smaller with no kitchenette but has a lovely view to the south. For the upcoming stay, I used a TSU. My upgrade is into a townhouse. I called to express a preference for a suite that is all on one floor. I learned there are 3 such suites on the property. I was told these are specialty suites and I would have to pay several hundred dollars per night. Needless to say, I lost interest.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:59 pm

The Ocean View Townhouse Spa Suites (the bi-level ones) have a full kitchen, if that might be important to you. The kitchen isn't especially spacious but I wouldn't term it a kitchenette.

If you are staying any time soon, you might want to research the traffic issues being caused by the Rio Road construction project in Carmel by the Crossroads shopping center. Even without this project, northbound traffic in the early evening going into Carmel can back up all the way to the Hyatt - this is only making things worse.

I have never encountered any meaningful southbound traffic coming from Carmel to the Hyatt in the evening. The main beach is Carmel is a pleasant spot to watch the sunset.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
There are some (relatively) reasonable off-season cash rates for one bedroom ocean view suites - hyatt.com indicates these are "premium suites" and distinct from the "standard suites" townhouses - are these same as the 3 specialty suites you were referring to? Do you happen to remember the room #'s of the ones you stayed in (particularly the one below the dining room)? Thanks.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I have a property map and it shows the two suites in the main lodge are 102 and 105. It appears that 105 is the one below the dining room
dpb132 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by speedytimmy

If you are staying any time soon, you might want to research the traffic issues being caused by the Rio Road construction project in Carmel by the Crossroads shopping center. Even without this project, northbound traffic in the early evening going into Carmel can back up all the way to the Hyatt - this is only making things worse.
Today's local news reported a THREE HOUR traffic delay. In addition to construction, film crews for Big Little Lies are in the area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.