Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Mar 8, 2022, 3:43 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Seeing quite a few negative reviews here, so my chance to provide a counterpoint

We stayed there for a night this past weekend using our Globalist Category 7 award (I've seen people here refer to a "TSU," and I don't know that initialism, but maybe it's the same thing).

As others, breakfast was comped, even though it doesn't have to be by rule. And they had looked for an upgrade (also not required), but they really were pretty full. We got a top floor full ocean view right at the front and it was wonderful. Was the furniture maybe a little old? Perhaps, but it's a bed and a chair so not really relevant. No smell, anyway.

Enjoyed the balcony for quite a while. Then went to the Subset Lounge. We hung out there for a couple of hours watching, well, the sunset over the water with drinks and some snacks. On a prior visit we ere also in the lounge and, right as the sun was setting, a whale breached. Uh, yeah, I'll take that every time

So the comped breakfast was great. High pries if one had to pay ($32 for a Benedict with dungeness crab,, which was fabulous). But just got charged the evening snacks and tip for breakfast.

The one downside (as mentioned by others), is that housekeeping were trying to enter the room at 9:33AM. The door said noon checkout (not sure if it's listed as earlier somewhere else), but 9:33? Really?

We did leave around 10 as we had to be on our way.

IN any event, it was a very nice stay. We would certainly go back, although it's not a must-visit place for us, really. Just very pleasant.

Cheers.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 5:58 pm

Category 7 award night is a free night up to an award category 7. TSU (or DSU) are suite upgrades done in advance based on availability instead of waiting/hoping the property will upgrade you to the best available room including standard suites (which is what the TSU books into). So if you were globalist and standard suite was available and you didn't get that, they did not follow the rules.

And for globalists, yeah breakfast IS required to be comped by rule, so if you are globalist they aren't doing you any favors.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 6:03 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by antonius66
Category 7 award night is a free night up to an award category 7. TSU (or DSU) are suite upgrades done in advance based on availability instead of waiting/hoping the property will upgrade you to the best available room including standard suites (which is what the TSU books into). So if you were globalist and standard suite was available and you didn't get that, they did not follow the rules.

And for globalists, yeah breakfast IS required to be comped by rule, so if you are globalist they aren't doing you any favors.
Thanks for the terms. What I have read is the standard Globalist benefits, other than 30% spend bonus, do not apply to HRC properties.

https://help.hyatt.com/en/faqs/world...ence-club.html

Cheers.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS

BUT, like some Hyatt properties, they could say you just have a $20 breakfast credit. Breakfast for 2 at this property can be VERY expensive.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Thanks for the terms. What I have read is the standard Globalist benefits, other than 30% spend bonus, do not apply to HRC properties.

Cheers.
This is a unique property. At the time it was converted from a Park Hyatt resort to a timeshare, the town of Carmel or Carmel Highlands would not allow them to convert all of their units to a timeshare. They were required to maintain a hotel on the property. So they must operate as both. Now something may have changed in the meantime but I do believe it still operates as both a hotel and a timeshare. I don't know to what extent they just combine all the rooms & suites together as a combination timeshare/hotel. To the extent it is still a hotel, they are required to honor Globalist breakfast benefits.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 6:21 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
This is a unique property. At the time it was converted from a Park Hyatt resort to a timeshare, the town of Carmel or Carmel Highlands would not allow them to convert all of their units to a timeshare. They were required to maintain a hotel on the property. So they must operate as both. Now something may have changed in the meantime but I do believe it still operates as both a hotel and a timeshare. I don't know to what extent they just combine all the rooms & suites together as a combination timeshare/hotel. To the extent it is still a hotel, they are required to honor Globalist breakfast benefits.
Thanks. Did not know that. I do know that, when we stayed there some years back I got my HRC Brand Explorer check. However, we were on a timeshare package deal, so then may have explained it.

We had been expecting the HRC for mrs. brps account as she is our chosen Globalist and has 9 brands at present. Now I wonder if it will track that way.

Cheers.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 9:02 am

That property tracks as a hotel unless you specifically book it under the HRC section. Otherwise it is a hotel like any other and the benefits apply like any other.
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:06 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That property tracks as a hotel unless you specifically book it under the HRC section. Otherwise it is a hotel like any other and the benefits apply like any other.
Thanks. That seems reasonable in the end. I had called the Globalist line about this. After a long hold she had worked with her supervisor and posted it as HRC anyway, so we got our 10th brand and the cert...just in time to use at some local properties that are going 4->5 on March 22

Another (so far) interesting facet is that,while the billing had some drinks/snacks and the breakfast tip (and we got points based on that spend), when it finally hit the card, the tip amount is gone. Perhaps they decided to comp that, too? It was o the same receipt. I just hope that the server got her tip.

Cheers.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Thanks. That seems reasonable in the end. I had called the Globalist line about this. After a long hold she had worked with her supervisor and posted it as HRC anyway, so we got our 10th brand and the cert...just in time to use at some local properties that are going 4->5 on March 22

Another (so far) interesting facet is that,while the billing had some drinks/snacks and the breakfast tip (and we got points based on that spend), when it finally hit the card, the tip amount is gone. Perhaps they decided to comp that, too? It was o the same receipt. I just hope that the server got her tip.

Cheers.
The tip is included for free breakfasts for Globalists.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 100k, Hyatt Globalist, Hhonors Diamond, Marriot Platinum
Which standard suite is better

Looking to book a suite using points. I see three options - California suite, highland suite and ocean view townhouse spa suite. We like that the townhouse is more spacious. Are other rooms better location or view wise?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:53 pm

pointsrunner which room did you end up staying in?
Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
We stay here for the timeshare and love it. Kool aid during Stockholm. Its the best. Cash tips for housekeeping even if little is done. Nothing really beats the views and highway 1. Its not cheap. We rarely eat onsite. Next booked reZ is December. We have an October reZ that we still must cancel.
Last time we did hyatt vacation points for 2-br (300 series) and had a greater view than normal.

Old Jul 10, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: Globalist, Diamond via Aspire
Had one night stay using Cat7 cert. Was able to book a garden view room only about 1 month ago. After that its sold out.

Checkin was smooth. Mentioned if there is better room available and a one-bedroom ocean view suite was given. Really appreciated. Room was large and the view is fantastic.

My kids enjoyed the pool very much. We noticed there were enough clean towels by the pool, which was not the case last summer. Seems the hotel is well staffed now.

Had dinner at the lounge and breakfast at pacific edge. Much better/faster services. Again, view was superb.

Will return next year.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 9:39 pm

Good stay. Fitness center expanded from 18 months ago. As Globalist, 10:00AM checkout (ouch) extended to noon. Breakfast covered entree, juice and coffee. Weddings had most facilities unavailable, i.e. Sunset Lounge, areas by pool, but service was good.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 10:12 am

I earned a Cat1-7 cert a few weeks ago expiring mid Jan 2023. Pleasantly surprised to be able to book an award single night on a weekend next Jan...not sure how pleasant the stay will be at the tired property in a cold possibly wet January. Maybe I'll play a round before check in and after checkout.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.