Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UnitedConnection
The hotel provides its own express shuttle service from HKG Arrivals. A very luxurious motor coach. Look for the Hyatt-branded booth across the lobby from Customs & Immigration exit and banking services. Separate charge. Per email correspondence on 7/11/19, this service is no longer offered by the hotel. Two alternatives are:
Hotel Limousine/MPV: HK$1150 per trip per car (Mercedes S-320) or 6-person MPV for HKD$1400
Airport shuttle service (3rd party): ''Vigor Airport Shuttle Service Limited'' located at Arrival Hall B-01. Take shuttle to ‘’Harbour View International Hotel’’ (next door to GH). HK$140 per person per trip. This is no longer affiliated with the hotel, so tickets must be purchased directly from the vendor.

Diamond benefits as of 4 Sep 2016
  • Complementary Continental Breakfast (in lounge) 7AM – 10:30AM Monday – Friday & 7AM – 11AM (Weekends & Public Holidays)
  • Diamond buffet breakfast also available in Grand Cafe
  • Complimentary Evening Cocktails - 5:30PM – 7:30PM
  • All day complimentary tea, coffee, refreshments, and limited alcoholic beverages (not sure if this is in room or in lounge as lounge hours are 7AM – midnight)
  • Complimentary 3 pieces laundry per day (standard service; not cumulative) for guests staying in a suite (not limited to Diamonds).
  • Grand Club meeting room 1 hour/day.
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:13 pm

Was there for NYE 2 years ago. Grand suite view seemed great to us (18th fl I think, but not 100% sure). Fireworks were clear and easy to see.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice hotel for sure, but am I the only one who thinks that they lie about their room sizes? I'm in a king room (club level harbor view) which they claim is 40 sq m (430 sq ft). It seems to be much, much, much smaller than that.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Nice hotel for sure, but am I the only one who thinks that they lie about their room sizes? I'm in a king room (club level harbor view) which they claim is 40 sq m (430 sq ft). It seems to be much, much, much smaller than that.
Not sure how Hyatt are counting or if the following is related at all to this, but Hong Kong in general has a bizarre way of calculating property square footage, and tends to include areas like window sills and other completely useless spaces. Our apartment is X sqft but our property in Sweden of a similar size (on paper) is significantly larger in reality.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Not sure how Hyatt are counting or if the following is related at all to this, but Hong Kong in general has a bizarre way of calculating property square footage, and tends to include areas like window sills and other completely useless spaces. Our apartment is X sqft but our property in Sweden of a similar size (on paper) is significantly larger in reality.
It's much worse than that. They'll include the apartment's share of the common areas as part of the gross square foot calculation. It's completely ferkakte.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
I wouldn't be surprised if they counted the hallway too.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

lol. Well, it's only 2 nights.

Although now I'm worried about my stay at the TST in a couple of months. They only claim that their rooms are 28 sq m. Does that mean that they are really just closets?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

lol. Well, it's only 2 nights.

Although now I'm worried about my stay at the TST in a couple of months. They only claim that their rooms are 28 sq m. Does that mean that they are really just closets?
Even the so-called 38 sq m corner rooms are a tight squeeze and no way a true 38 metres at that!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
The Suites at the HR TST are some of the smallest I've ever seen at a Hyatt. The ones at GH are definitely larger but still small by international standards.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:02 pm

Explorist upgrade certs

Does anyone have experience using an Explorist club upgrade cert here? I'm mostly interested in what Club room I should expect the cert to book me into. If I book a standard (non-club) harbor view room, will the cert get me a harbor view club room? Or will I receive the lowest category club room regardless of what level room I originally book?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UnitedConnection
Does anyone have experience using an Explorist club upgrade cert here? I'm mostly interested in what Club room I should expect the cert to book me into. If I book a standard (non-club) harbor view room, will the cert get me a harbor view club room? Or will I receive the lowest category club room regardless of what level room I originally book?
The club access awards don't include a room upgrade. They only give you lounge access.

Whether the hotel might independently upgrade you to a better room is a different question. I could see this as a property that might do it.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
The club access awards don't include a room upgrade. They only give you lounge access.

Whether the hotel might independently upgrade you to a better room is a different question. I could see this as a property that might do it.
Really? I only stayed at this hotel once, but I view them as a hotel that will argue details about policy and nickel and dime you, and fight to not give you anything more than is required.

- They tried to sell me an upgrade to a suite at the same price that the suite was selling for (not the price difference -- the full price, in addition to my room rate)
- They did not proactively send the amenity which I paid for (Prive rate) -- I had to ask to get it
- They tried to limit my restaurant breakfast (also paid for through Prive rate) to one guest, not two. Their argument was that the room type I was upgraded to (club room) charges more for additional guests (this is totally irrelevant because the rate which I actually booked does not charge more for additional guests).
- They did not proactively apply my Prive discount on my F&B charges -- I had to request a manual adjustment.

I got everything that I was entitled to, but it was like pulling teeth. This is probably my worst experience at any Hyatt. I hated the Andaz Wall St too, but at least the employees there weren't actively trying to rip you off. Needless to say, I won't be back.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee

Interesting, so I will actually get the room I booked at worst then (instead of being "downgraded" to the entry-level club access room).
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by UnitedConnection
From my experiences on using the club upgrade award and 3000 point upgrade on standard room reservations, they have always assigned a room with city and harbor view on floors 30 and above (Grand Club is on 30-31/F), but of course YMMV.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I only stayed at this hotel once
This property has always treated me extremely well, and I believe that's a pretty consistent experience in this forum.

If it weren't for the location, this might be my go-to Hong Kong property.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really? I only stayed at this hotel once, but I view them as a hotel that will argue details about policy and nickel and dime you, and fight to not give you anything more than is required.

- They tried to sell me an upgrade to a suite at the same price that the suite was selling for (not the price difference -- the full price, in addition to my room rate)
- They did not proactively send the amenity which I paid for (Prive rate) -- I had to ask to get it
- They tried to limit my restaurant breakfast (also paid for through Prive rate) to one guest, not two. Their argument was that the room type I was upgraded to (club room) charges more for additional guests (this is totally irrelevant because the rate which I actually booked does not charge more for additional guests).
- They did not proactively apply my Prive discount on my F&B charges -- I had to request a manual adjustment.

I got everything that I was entitled to, but it was like pulling teeth. This is probably my worst experience at any Hyatt. I hated the Andaz Wall St too, but at least the employees there weren't actively trying to rip you off. Needless to say, I won't be back.
A shame. They used to have a good reputation and I had a few good stays years ago. Sounds like their Hyatt corporate masters tightened the strings to pay for those renovations.

Last edited by Aventine; Feb 4, 2019 at 11:48 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.