Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UnitedConnection
The hotel provides its own express shuttle service from HKG Arrivals. A very luxurious motor coach. Look for the Hyatt-branded booth across the lobby from Customs & Immigration exit and banking services. Separate charge. Per email correspondence on 7/11/19, this service is no longer offered by the hotel. Two alternatives are:
Hotel Limousine/MPV: HK$1150 per trip per car (Mercedes S-320) or 6-person MPV for HKD$1400
Airport shuttle service (3rd party): ''Vigor Airport Shuttle Service Limited'' located at Arrival Hall B-01. Take shuttle to ‘’Harbour View International Hotel’’ (next door to GH). HK$140 per person per trip. This is no longer affiliated with the hotel, so tickets must be purchased directly from the vendor.

Diamond benefits as of 4 Sep 2016
  • Complementary Continental Breakfast (in lounge) 7AM – 10:30AM Monday – Friday & 7AM – 11AM (Weekends & Public Holidays)
  • Diamond buffet breakfast also available in Grand Cafe
  • Complimentary Evening Cocktails - 5:30PM – 7:30PM
  • All day complimentary tea, coffee, refreshments, and limited alcoholic beverages (not sure if this is in room or in lounge as lounge hours are 7AM – midnight)
  • Complimentary 3 pieces laundry per day (standard service; not cumulative) for guests staying in a suite (not limited to Diamonds).
  • Grand Club meeting room 1 hour/day.
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by vnfilm1
I google map and it seems Conrad Hong Kong is a better location compare Grand Hyatt.
Conrad is a much better location (unless you're attending an event at the convention center). Additionally, Conrad will let you eat breakfast in the restaurant or the lounge.

GH is a physically more impressive property (with a very attractive lounge and a nice pool), but depending on your preferences, Conrad may well be the better choice. The standard Diamond upgrade there (depending on availability) would be to Victoria Harbour view, and if you're really lucky, a suite.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Not sure what a “better” location is defined as.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
Conrad is a much better location (unless you're attending an event at the convention center). Additionally, Conrad will let you eat breakfast in the restaurant or the lounge.

GH is a physically more impressive property (with a very attractive lounge and a nice pool), but depending on your preferences, Conrad may well be the better choice. The standard Diamond upgrade there (depending on availability) would be to Victoria Harbour view, and if you're really lucky, a suite.
I've stayed here multiple times. The rooms have never impressed me. Had a club room last time and it was meh. The lounge is pretty nice though.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
GH is a better property than Conrad but some might prefer the location of the Conrad above Pacific Place, and reasonably short walk to Central.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by seawolf
Not sure what a “better” location is defined as.
More convenient to sights and attractions, more convenient to MTR, more convenient to shopping, more attractive, more pleasant for walking, better views, no huge construction zone across the street - you name it, the Conrad's is better unless you need to be at the convention center.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:58 am
Original Member

More convenient to sights and attractions, more convenient to MTR, more convenient to shopping, more attractive, more pleasant for walking, better views, no huge construction zone across the street - you name it, the Conrad's is better unless you need to be at the convention center.
Convenient to which sights/attractions? Is guest taking MTR/Uber/taxi? Is traveler interested in shopping? Is traveler here for work? What time of the year will the stay take place?

Does OP have any elite status?

The point is vnfilm1 didn't specify criteria.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:02 am

Does OP have any elite status?
OP clearly stated that has Hilton Diamond. Since he is contemplating paying for a club room at GH, it seems reasonable to assume that he is not Globalist (and likely not Explorist, either).

The point is vnfilm1 didn't specify criteria.
Actually, OP expressed concern about GH's location, which is pretty much universally acknowledged to be rather inconvenient unless you're attending an event at the convention center. As opposed to Conrad, which has an excellent location for pretty much all purposes relative to virtually any other 4 or 5 star Hong Kong property.

On the facts provided, I have no hesitation recommending Conrad. If OP has further questions, I suspect he knows how to post a reply.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:20 am
Original Member

OP clearly stated that has Hilton Diamond. Since he is contemplating paying for a club room at GH, it seems reasonable to assume that he is not Globalist (and likely not Explorist, either).

Actually, OP expressed concern about GH's location, which is pretty much universally acknowledged to be rather inconvenient unless you're attending an event at the convention center. As opposed to Conrad, which has an excellent location for pretty much all purposes relative to virtually any other 4 or 5 star Hong Kong property.

On the facts provided, I have no hesitation recommending Conrad. If OP has further questions, I suspect he knows how to post a reply.
"Universally acknowledged?" Seriously? GH would have been out of business a long time ago if they trade is only convention business. Need to understand requirements before blindly making recommendations. I don't think there is a right recommendation until OP provides more criteria.

Conrad is closer to MTR and on top of shopping mall. If traveler is taking taxi/uber, it's irrelevant especially with Uber.

Conrad location is great if traveler wants pricey food options in Pacific Place. GH is closer to Wan Chai and the authentic mom-and-pop eateries. Don't know what type traveler OP is.

If it is the choice is so obvious, I don't see why OP even posted the question to begin with.

Last edited by seawolf; Apr 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm Reason: Apologies to Kacee and updated response.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:44 am

"Universally acknowledged?" Seriously? GH would have been out of business a long time ago if they trade is convention business. Need to understand requirements before blindly making recommendations.
If you go through this thread, I think you'll see that the criticisms of the GH's location are pretty consistent. You'll see similar comments in the Marriott forum when people ask about Ren vs. JW.

And my recommendation was not "blind." It was appropriately tailored to OP's specific question and details re status and purchased GC access. I acknowledged that GH is more convenient to the convention center, and that GH has a more impressive physical facility, including a really notice lounge and pool.

There was a further follow up comment by another member to the effect the rooms at Conrad are a bit "meh" compared to GH and I would agree with that, though I've found the Conrad rooms spacious and comfortable if a bit bland.

Not sure what your problem is, but your personal attacks are not helpful. OP asked for thoughts on GH vs. Conrad and I shared mine. Again, OP can follow up if he has further questions.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:53 am

Thank you ALL for your input.
I am a discoverist thru Hyatt credit card while I am Diamond in Hilton level. So, I like to know how lucn is the cost for upgrade at Grand Hyatt Hong Kong. And I hope GH will allow me an early check in
I am not sure at this point what best to do because I want to be able to use the Hyatt Certificate and get over with before they expired in August 2018.
If the upgrade price is too high, is there any local restaurant around Grand Hyatt so that we can have our meal if needed. if Wanchai has local eatery, can you please suggest a few restaurant so that we can try the food. DH has mobility issue and we will take a taxi from GH to Wanchai, I just need the name of restaurant so that I can search ahead of time for the exact location.
This is my first time to visit Hong Kong. Your expert advice will be a big help in planning.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:18 pm

From my experience, the GH isn’t located that terribly as many have noted on here - Wan Chai Station is just 7-10 minutes away on foot via a covered walkway, and Wan Chai is a much more interesting and authentic neighborhood than say Conrad’s neighborhood of Admiralty with endless office towers and high end shopping malls featuring international brands. Wan Chai is quintessentially Hong Kong, with the old and new, east and west. Can’t think of a better neighborhood for someone who wants to experience the authentic side of HK.

That being said, if you or your companion has mobility issues and walking 7-10 minutes to the nearest MTR Station is a hassle, I’d recommend Conrad over GH, despite GH being a much better property. Of course the point is moot if you’re planning to travel everywhere by cab or Uber.

While the breakfast at GH (Grand Club or Grand Cafe) is usually the highlight of my stay, if you want breakfast outside of the hotel nearby, I’d recommend Cafe de Coral. It does not have any Michelin Stars or is not on the Bib Gourmand and is even a fast food chain (ie not fine dining and not the most authentic), but it serves a very good HK fast food breakfast and only locals go there. I’ve never seen tourists there so you know it’s a no BS kind of place. Nearest branch is at 151 Lockhart Road, about mid way between GH and Wan Chai Station and has elevator access if that’s required.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Central90210
From my experience, the GH isn’t located that terribly as many have noted on here - Wan Chai Station is just 7-10 minutes away on foot via a covered walkway, and Wan Chai is a much more interesting and authentic neighborhood than say Conrad’s neighborhood of Admiralty with endless office towers and high end shopping malls featuring international brands. Wan Chai is quintessentially Hong Kong, with the old and new, east and west. Can’t think of a better neighborhood for someone who wants to experience the authentic side of HK.

That being said, if you or your companion has mobility issues and walking 7-10 minutes to the nearest MTR Station is a hassle, I’d recommend Conrad over GH, despite GH being a much better property. Of course the point is moot if you’re planning to travel everywhere by cab or Uber.

While the breakfast at GH (Grand Club or Grand Cafe) is usually the highlight of my stay, if you want breakfast outside of the hotel nearby, I’d recommend Cafe de Coral. It does not have any Michelin Stars or is not on the Bib Gourmand and is even a fast food chain (ie not fine dining and not the most authentic), but it serves a very good HK fast food breakfast and only locals go there. I’ve never seen tourists there so you know it’s a no BS kind of place. Nearest branch is at 151 Lockhart Road, about mid way between GH and Wan Chai Station and has elevator access if that’s required.
Can you please tell me about the cover walkway to Wanchai station. I try to look at google map and can not find it. If you remember and can give me a detail direction, it will be a big help
Will stop by Cafe de coral to try out the food, google map shows, the sign Cafe De Coral above the 7 eleven store, just wonder if 7-Eleven and cafe De coral are same store.
Is there any good local good dimsum or noodle to stop by for lunch or dinner in Wanchai.

Regarding taxi fare in Hong Kong, does anyone know how it works. If my distance is < 1km, how much taxi fare work and will taxi driver has problem to take us.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by vnfilm1
Can you please tell me about the cover walkway to Wanchai station. I try to look at google map and can not find it. If you remember and can give me a detail direction, it will be a big help
Will stop by Cafe de coral to try out the food, google map shows, the sign Cafe De Coral above the 7 eleven store, just wonder if 7-Eleven and cafe De coral are same store.
Is there any good local good dimsum or noodle to stop by for lunch or dinner in Wanchai.

Regarding taxi fare in Hong Kong, does anyone know how it works. If my distance is < 1km, how much taxi fare work and will taxi driver has problem to take us.
This is directly over O'Brien road on google maps. If you walk out GH and cross Harbour road, you'll see the covered walkway leading from the Immigration building. You'll see the walkway highlighted in green if you switch to satellite view on google maps.

7-11 and cafe de coral are not the same.

Quick google search will pull up taxi info Transport Department - Taxi fare of Hong Kong
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:41 am

Most if not all cab drivers will either (rudely) decline or quietly berate the passenger for short distance travels (less than 3km), especially if they have been in line for a while at a hotel, unless the GH bell staff is very firm and insistent.

Best go for Uber in such or even all cases.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA XP, BA G, AS 100K, Hyatt G
I took a red taxi from GH to Peak Tram in Central just yesterday so that was <3km. Paid the 24HKD. Had no issue with the driver but he did spend the whole time talking on phone in Cantonese. Maybe he was complaining about us
Markie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.