Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Coconut Pointe (Bonita Springs, FL) Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coconut Pointe (Bonita Springs, FL) Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2010, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL PM '04; Hyatt Diamond
well, very odd experience.

Got to the property and checked in about 3pm Saturday. Had reserved a King bedroom at the AAA rate. Was upgraded without using a Diamond upgrade cert to a corner room suite - king bed (3 balconies - very large and very nice) on the 2nd to top floor (concierge level) close to the Regency Club. So far, very nice experience. Kids were offered fresh squeezed OJ by Ursala (second time - used her our first stay - fantastic!!).

Now the tricky part. Unexpectedly had sick kids with us AND I had to work... thus I needed a larger room or rather a room with two beds. I left to go work with some new clients for a few hours and I returned to a room that was NOT a spectacular upgrade (though still on the club floor), in fact, the room was ordinary in every way - the thermostat didn't work, so it was very warm in the room.

We had the AAA breakfast for two but didn't eat down there (though it has been my favorite Hyatt breakfast experience) - we ate in the Regency Club and departed early to go to sailing in St. Pete. The regency breakfast was nice and better than most Hyatt properties.

Overall, check-in at 3pm, checkout at 9am. Didn't have time to use any of the facilities as the kids were sick and just relaxed in-room.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by performancefitness
well, very odd experience.

Got to the property and checked in about 3pm Saturday. Had reserved a King bedroom at the AAA rate. Was upgraded without using a Diamond upgrade cert to a corner room suite - king bed (3 balconies - very large and very nice) on the 2nd to top floor (concierge level) close to the Regency Club.
Did they tell you that it was a suite ?

Sounds like a regular standard corner room to me. It has three balconies and is very light, but otherwise just a slightly bigger room and more or less standard Diamond upgrade...
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by FD1971
Did they tell you that it was a suite ?

Sounds like a regular standard corner room to me. It has three balconies and is very light, but otherwise just a slightly bigger room and more or less standard Diamond upgrade...

hmmm, felt like a standard diamond upgrade, was in a rush, but it was larger and nicer than the standard upgrade as a platinum. you are probably correct. May use a suite upgrade during next stay to examine the difference.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:47 pm
Suspended

hmmm, felt like a standard diamond upgrade, was in a rush, but it was larger and nicer than the standard upgrade as a platinum. you are probably correct. May use a suite upgrade during next stay to examine the difference.
Exactly the problem...

As pointed out numerous times already, the FD organisation and personel leave a lot to be desired at this property.

I checked in right next to people without status, who asked for a corner room and got one on a relatively high floor. Kind of awkward, if they tell you a minute later that they are soo happy to be able to welcoming you back and as a valued Diamond member, they pre-blocked a corner room for you ( which was two floors higher )

And as pointed out numerous times by various posters as well, more or less every rate includes the full breakfast downstairs anyway and the food selection during cocktail hours has been downgraded significantly.

So, the only real Diamond perks consist of free spa access and some snacks in the early afternoon...

During my last stay, I was offered NOR1 upgrades to suites for very little money, so I would double-check before 'wasting' a suite upgrade as there are better values out there in my book...
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by FD1971
Exactly the problem...

As pointed out numerous times already, the FD organisation and personel leave a lot to be desired at this property.

I checked in right next to people without status, who asked for a corner room and got one on a relatively high floor. Kind of awkward, if they tell you a minute later that they are soo happy to be able to welcoming you back and as a valued Diamond member, they pre-blocked a corner room for you ( which was two floors higher )

And as pointed out numerous times by various posters as well, more or less every rate includes the full breakfast downstairs anyway and the food selection during cocktail hours has been downgraded significantly.

So, the only real Diamond perks consist of free spa access and some snacks in the early afternoon...

During my last stay, I was offered NOR1 upgrades to suites for very little money, so I would double-check before 'wasting' a suite upgrade as there are better values out there in my book...
I def share your opinion about burning an upgrade cert here! AND your opinion about the property in general...
(at least they didn't charge me the resort fee because my stay was so short)

What's a NOR1?

I may be spending one weekend a month at this location for the next 6 months so would appreciate any finer details you have to offer.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 7:12 am
Suspended

(at least they didn't charge me the resort fee because my stay was so short)

What's a NOR1?

I may be spending one weekend a month at this location for the next 6 months so would appreciate any finer details you have to offer.
Sorry to bother you once more with the same question

Did they tell you that they did not charge the resort fee, because the stay was so short ? ( kind of a very strange argument in any case and with the internet being what it is, a very dangerous one as well )

Or was it just a organisational issue and they somehow forgot it...

The NOR1 upgrades are offered at the end of the booking process and you can opt to be upgraded at an additional charge ( space available ) if you go for it. Some properties offer just one or two options, but the Regency Coconut Point used to offer suites at a low charge ( please find one of my earlier from May 2010 for more info )

In any case and considering the quantity of stays you have ahead you, ringing the sales department to ask, if any discount is available cannot hurt. Even, if it will be in the 5 % range only, it cannot hurt, the property gets pricy during weekends in general and especially during the high season in Florida.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Just back from a 4 night stay.

Upgrade using e-cert was initially to Bay suite but inquiring at check-in resulted in Island suite (similar, but just a little bigger and including a dining table). Room was on 6th floor only, and was cut in a weird way. We almost liked the Bay Suite on our last stay better. There was also no walk-in shower (both bathrooms tub only). Plus, the master bedroom was right behind the elevators and there would be a constant whooosh-whooosh sound. But we were too lazy to ask for another room.

It is also true that some of the areas are starting to look a little tired (carpets, sofas, chairs, especially).

RC offering did not change from last year, we actually preferred breakfast in the lounge over downstairs (even though it was included in the rate). Overall this is still a decent lounge.

Facilities (pools, beach) are still very nice and remain well kept.

Resort fee was a pain, was not comped for a Diamond, instead has increased from USD 15 to 20 (even though at time of initial reservation it was 15). Initially was charged 8 (!) times for both rooms of the suite. After some discussion down to 3 times (4th night was free as part of rate offer). Includes bicycle rental, nice idea, but bicycles are not in good shape. Chain went off and had to walk back to hotel.

This used to be a favorite spot for us, but this recent stay has left us with mixed feelings.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:00 am
Used to be " vincentppetty "

Programs: DL Platinum/1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium; Loews Platinum; GHA/Omni Platinum; Hilton Gold
Talking A truly AMAZING Thanksgiving at Coconut Point!

Hyatt Regency Coconut Point Resort & Spa: Bonita Springs, FL

Dates of Stay: Wednesday, 11/24/10 - Sunday, 11/28/10
Total Nights: 4

In a nutshell, this is truly one of the most beautiful Hyatt's in the country, and it rivals the Hyatt properties in Hawaii! The amazing customer service, combined with superb amenities and truly beautiful location makes this Hyatt one that should not be missed by anyone!

Now, for my detailed review:

My wife and I arrived on Wednesday, 11/24/10 for the start of a long Thanksgiving weekend. Neither of us had been to this property before, and we were scared that it would be quite crowded for the holiday -- we were pleasantly surprised to see that there were no major crowds, and the hotel was running extremely smoothly for a Holiday weekend.

As you drive up to this property, only one word comes to mind -- sheer amazement. This is a truly beautiful property that towers over the Estero Bay as you drive in down Coconut Road. As you get to the end of Coconut Road, the entry to the valet parking is very lavish and inviting. Although, I would suggest self-park at this resort. My wife and I are used to most Hyatt properties where the self-park garage is some walk from the resort and valet is the most more efficient option; however, although valet was extremely polite and efficient, the self-park garage was attached to the hotel itself and very conveniently accessible from the hotel. As such, although the valet service was wonderful, at $20/day for valet compared to free self-park (included in the $20/day Resort Fee) I would suggest the self-park. It honestly appeared that most people chose the self-park option, as the valet was never busy.

We pulled into the valet parking area and were quickly met by a very helpful and friendly bellman, who quickly took our bags and got a valet to take our car. We were then whisked into the lobby, which definitely surpassed all of our expectations. Upon entry, you can look straight through the main lobby hallway and see beautiful fountains and the waterfall pool; a truly beautiful view to inspire anyone who enters. The lobby itself is very lavishly appointed, and is definitely more on par with a Grand Hyatt than a Hyatt Regency.

Our check-in was very quick and efficient, despite one small wrinkle. We approached the desk, and were immediately welcomed by the front desk agent. She was very friendly and efficient, offering us a glass of champagne while she checked us in. She thanked us for being loyal Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond Tier Members, and informed us that we had one of the most beautiful Bay Suites that they had to offer. She also told us that as Diamond Tier Members, we would have access to the Regency Club on the 17th Floor, and explained the Regency Club Amenities to us. She then gave us a property map and a beautiful folder with property photos and information. I do note one very interesting thing as a Hyatt Gold Passport member, there was a personalized letter inside the folder, again thanking me for being a Diamond Tier Member, and also stating my current Hyatt Gold Passport Point Balance and informing me of how few points I would need to redeem a free 7-night stay at the property. After such a friendly and efficient check-in, my wife and I proceeded to the elevators to go to the 11th Floor, which was indicated on our key packet -- this is where the tiny wrinkle occurred. When we got to the room on the 11th Floor, we opened the door to find a truly beautiful Bay View Suite -- however, we noted that there was a crib in the room, baby toys on the coffee table and another guest welcome folder on the desk. We quickly realized that we had been given the wrong room, and turned to exit the room, only to be greeted by the room's true occupants trying to get into the room as their keys were no longer working. Talk about an awkward situation. We apologized and left the room, immediately returning to the front desk where a very apologetic front desk agent stated that we were actually in the same room on the 12th Floor, and she gave us new keys and we were off. Other than that small wrinkle, check-in service at this property was amazing, and I would assume such a wrinkle is a very rare occurrence.

Upon reaching our room on the 12th Floor, we were truly in awe -- it was one of the most amazing Suites we have had, with a truly perfect view. We had used one of our Diamond Suite Upgrade Certificates to confirm a Suite for the entire 4-night stay, and it was well worth it. The Upgrade is to a Bay Suite, which is the smaller of the two main Suite types -- but, it did not feel small at all! Plus, the view on the Bay Suites actually seems to be better than the view from the larger Island Suites would be based on the positioning of the building. As soon as we walked into the Suite, we were greeted by an AMAZING sunset! This property overlooks the Estero Bay, facing to the West, which allows for truly beautiful sunset viewing. The Bedroom portion of the Suite had large floor-to-ceiling windows with Balcony on the West wall, allowing for our first sunset viewing of the trip. Not only was the view magnificent, but the Suite was truly amazing.

The Bay Suite is arranged in a two-room typical Suite format, with a Standard Bedroom attached via a connecting door to a large parlor. Although we only checked in for a One Bedroom Suite, I do note that the Bay Suites have a second attached bedroom should one want more space for a larger family -- and, having accidentally seen the room on the 11th Floor, which was set up in a two bedroom configuration, it looked very nice for a large family. But, our One Bedroom Bay Suite was perfect for the two of us. The Bedroom is a relatively standard Hyatt bedroom, very well appointed and perfect for sleeping. The Bedroom was equipped with the typically comfortable Hyatt bed, as large chair/ottoman, along with a large computer work desk and typical dresser with flat screen television. Then, the Bedroom had a relatively standard Hyatt bathroom, featuring a dual shower/tub, a single vanity, a slightly partitioned toilet area, and the Hyatt Portico Eucalyptus bath products. Then, the Suite was definitely a very large one, featuring an equally large flat-screen television, a large coffee table, well well suited to room service dining, along with a large chair and sofa sleeper. Much like the Bedroom, the Suite also had large floor-to-ceiling windows on the West wall, as well as behind the couch. This allowed for two large balconies, making the total Balcony county for the Suite at three, which allowed for plenty of amazing views throughout the day. The Suite also featured a bathroom with typical toilet, single vanity, and a very large glass shower, which we actually preferred to the shower/tub combo in the Bedroom. There was also a large entry hallway, leading from the Suite door toward the bathroom or parlor area. Additionally, it most be noted that both televisions were equipped with DVD players, as I understand all rooms were as well. All-in-all, one of the nicest standard suites that we have ever seen. It definitely makes me wonder how amazing the larger Suites were!

As for the property itself, it is truly amazing!

As for recreation, there is no lack of recreation opportunities! There are a total of three pools -- a large pool with water-slide for kids and families, a relaxing adult lap pool and a beautiful waterfall pool. There are two nice hot tub areas, and ample seating around the pool. And, unlike many resort pool areas, there is also ample shaded seating if one does not want to sit in the sun. We spent a few of our days just lounging by the pool and we definitely enjoyed every minute of it. There is also a rock climbing wall and a fire pit for night time s'more making. Also, there is a ping-pong table on property, as well as a beautiful golf course on the neighboring Hyatt Vacation Club property. Finally, a very quick and beautiful walk down the boardwalk path there is a private marina where a Hyatt shuttle boat will take you on a regular schedule to this property's private beach. Alas, we did not get the chance to take advantage of this part of the property, but from what we were told, it is a very beautiful beach.

For shopping, there is abundant shopping in and around the property. Inside the property, there is a wonderful little coffee shop/ice cream shop that doubles as a small grocery. The ice cream is amazing, as are the morning pastries and Starbucks coffee. Then, the coolers feature a selection of sodas, beers, wines and pre-made sandwiches to take to the private beach or back to the room. Additionally, they have very well priced s'mores kits for families to use at the fire pit. Finally, they had a very nice selection of DVDs available for "rent" -- you get charged a deposit of $35 to your room, but so long as they were returned by 11 am the next day, the deposit was refunded. Next, there is a very unique jewelry store just off the main lobby, as well as a very large "Lamont's Gift Shop." This "Lamont's" seemed larger than at most Hyatt locations, and it featured a variety of local and beach products along with designer clothes and styles. Then, in addition to all of the wonderful shopping on property, this property was within a few miles of multiple malls. First, just off of Coconut Road, less than 5-minutes from the property, is the beautiful Coconut Point Shopping Complex. This is not a typical mall but is instead a town-center, with exterior walkways and residential units over many stores. It offers a large variety of shopping and dining, as well as a large movie theater and typical anchor stores, such a Dillard's and Best Buy. Then, a few miles away, at the entrance ramp to I-75 is the beautiful Miromar Outlet Mall, which has hundreds of retailers and dining options. So, there is no lack of shopping and dining potential near this property.

As for dining, as previously mentioned, the local malls have a vast assortment of eateries if one wishes to leave the property, but, on property, there are also a number of amazing places to dine. However, I do caution that all portion sizes are rather large, so if you don't go to eat hungry, I'd suggest splitting a portion with your traveling companion. First, Tanglewood, one of the two main sit-down restaurants on property, offers a variety of food options throughout the day. We only ate there for dinner, which was AMAZING, but they also have a large breakfast buffet as well as lunch. Next, Corkscrew, the poolside bar and grille offers amazing pool-side food and drinks. Both the food and the drinks and reasonably priced for a pool-side location, and the food was of amazing quality for pool-side dining. Then, there is Mangroves, a lovely bar area just off of the main lobby; it offers a variety of fine dining appetizers which are large enough to have as a dinner and wonderful drinks. It is definitely a nice relaxing place to sit for a drink and relax at the end of the day. Finally, Tarpon Bay, the seafood restaurant is the only dining location that I would hesitate to recommend -- although the service and the atmosphere was good, the seafood did not taste as fresh as I had expected; for the price, I would suggest opting for Tanglewood instead.

The Regency Club, located on the 17th Floor, is one of the nicest Regency Clubs that my wife or I have ever been in. The Club itself is very large, with sample seating space, both at tables and large comfortable couches. The Club never felt crowded and always offered excellent service. There are two large flat-screen televisions, a computer for internet access and a devoted concierge to assist with dining or local attraction information. In addition to the service had the large spaces, the food selection was by far the best we have ever encountered. Each morning, there is a typical continental breakfast -- but, unlike many properties, they have an excellent hot food option as well, that appears to vary each morning. Then, throughout the day they have a selection of excellent cookies and snacks, in addition to water and soda. Then, in the evening they have wonderful hors d'oeuvres, including a hot option each night. It must be noted, however, that much like other Hyatt properties, alcoholic beverages are no longer complimentary -- but, the cost for these beverages ($3 beer, $4 wine, $5 mixed drink) is still much better than you will find at any bar on property. So, the Regency Club is definitely a very valuable area of the resort, and I would highly recommend booking a Regency Club Room for this service.

Finally, with regard to the Resort Fee. It is $20+tax per day at this property, which is standard for most Hyatt resorts. Some of the items that this includes are: self parking, wired internet access, and newspaper delivery each morning. Like all Hyatt Resort properties, all guests, regardless of Hyatt Gold Passport Membership Tier, pay this fee -- it is NOT waived for Diamond Tier Members. However, it is waived on stays using award nights.

All-in-all, this is truly one of the nicest Hyatt Resorts in the country, and by far the best Resort in Florida. This is one property that should not be missed!
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:28 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Glad you enjoyed it - it really is a nice Hyatt property that we have visited every year since it opened. We also like the fact that you can usually use the facilities at the Vacation Club, especially the Lazy River - great fun!

We will be there again next week - can't wait!
Old Dec 13, 2010, 1:39 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
$50 off stay expires 12/31/10

When I stayed at this hotel a few months ago, they gave me a 4" x 6" color printed card for:

$50.00 off your next stay at the Hyatt Regency Coconut Point for 2010

Fine print: $50 off one nights roon rate. Reduction will be take at the front desk upon receipt of certificate. Must be 21 years of age to book a reservation. All hotel reservations are subject to availability and must be made in advance. Offer is not valid with group/conventions and may not be combined with other promotional offers. Excludes reort fee, room tax, gratuities, service charges, other taxes and other incidental expenses. Promotions blackouter periods may apply due to seasonal periods or special events, and normal arrival/departure restrictions apply. Hyatt reserves the right to alter or withdraw this program at any time without notice. The trademark HYATT and related marks are trademarks of Hyatt Corporation, 2010 Hyatt Corporation. All rights are reserved. Offer expires 12/31/10.

If anyone has a reservation before the end of the year (but not in the next week or so) and can use this, please send me a PM and I'll mail you the card.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, CO Elite
Anybody know if they finally got flat panel tv's in the rooms?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 6:42 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
They have LG TV's. We are staying here at the moment and enjoying the balmy 33 degrees
Old Dec 14, 2010, 7:04 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
... enjoying the balmy 33 degrees
holy cow, hoping it heats up for you !!
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Some thoughts from my latest stay here

Tanglewood restaurant is currently closed for refurbishment. I noticed that the prices in Tarpon Bay have increased by 15% in the last 12 months - this was enough to convince us to eat elsewhere.

Additional Diamond bonus is access to Spa Lounge and 10% of any treatments

RC was pretty pathetic, although I have to say the resort was very quiet. Breakfast selection was paltry and food in the evening wasn't worth bothering with so we only visited once

I managed to get lots of photos of the resort as there were no people outside due to the cold weather. I have posted them in the Hyatt group on Flickr
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:08 pm

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
Some thoughts from my latest stay here

Tanglewood restaurant is currently closed for refurbishment. I noticed that the prices in Tarpon Bay have increased by 15% in the last 12 months - this was enough to convince us to eat elsewhere.

Additional Diamond bonus is access to Spa Lounge and 10% of any treatments

RC was pretty pathetic, although I have to say the resort was very quiet. Breakfast selection was paltry and food in the evening wasn't worth bothering with so we only visited once

I managed to get lots of photos of the resort as there were no people outside due to the cold weather. I have posted them in the Hyatt group on Flickr
It sounds like this property is continuing its slide into dignified mediocrity...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.