Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Coconut Pointe (Bonita Springs, FL) Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coconut Pointe (Bonita Springs, FL) Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2010, 11:16 am

Programs: WN A+/CP, UA1K, AA PP; Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Plat; National EE
Thanks for your great review. How much more was the full breakfast vs the Cont Brkf in the club?

Do any of the Bay Suites have the A/C vent problem?

Originally Posted by FD1971
Rates dropped to the low 200's and were appr. 20-25% more expensive in comparison to 2009 during my stay there recently. Occupancy is up significantly from last year. Summer rates should drop to the 130-150's ^

Nor1 upgrades included the Bay Suite for $ 90 and Island Suite for $ 110, both very reasonably offers in my book.

Check-in was a desaster, the lonely manager on duty appeared to be close to the end of her shift and it showed, no Diamond Amenity offered and no AAA breakfast coupons provided, only the standard folder given out, including the activity overview, boat schedule and 10% off cert for the spa including free entrance as a Diamond, a $ 30 value per person ! ^

I requested a king room away from the infamous A/C vents on the roof of the attached conference center building to the north of the tower and received a corner room in the opposite direction on one of the two RC floors with three balconies, including one from the bathroom. Bathroom is very light with a view down to coast towards Naples, however still features a very old and very basic shower head.

Went down to the Regency Club for a quick check what is offered during the lunch/early afternoon hours and found the club to be deserted. Nuts, crackers and some cookies were offered aside from still and sparkling water ( Perrier ) Pepsi, Diet Pepsi and Sierra Mist. It seems that the self made lemonade also became a victim of the Regency Club enhancements...

Dinner service is still a shadow of its glory days as one of the top Regency Clubs in the US, hot appetizers are still gone. Aside from the usual veggies and cheeses, several self-made dips and crackers were offered, actually a nice idea, however they should add some small cards pointing out the ingredients. We really enjoyed the spicy bruchetta like tomato and onion dip variety and the steamed zucchini, a strange dish on offer was a strawberry filled with brie cheese...

Desserts included some very decent self made pastries that were offered from 5.30 until 9 p.m.

Back in the days, when the club was open until 10, the after snack hour dessert set up was quite famous, nowadays the club closes at 9 p.m.

The breakfast was a typical Regency Club Continental Breakfast, nothing to write home about, including smoked salmon. We preferred the full buffet downstairs, which is one of the better buffets systemwide in the US and features dishes like Bircher Muesli or Fajitas, so some offers outside of the usual arrangements with eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage...

We took the boat to the island on several days and were once again impressed by the variety of wildlife only a few yards away from the shore, including dolphins hunting 10 yards away or stingrays jumping out of the water only some more yards away. The island is still subject to massive erosion, however still a major competitive advantage and one of the reasons we return frequently.

Service at check out was significantly better, two well knows agents on duty including a lady with a German name manning the Diamond/Platinum line. Internet was not taken of the bill, but this seems to be the running gag of the property, at least for me with three stays there since April 1, 2009.

They have new cushions for all the beach chairs, the old ones were borderline disgusting with tons of stains and cuts, which was appreciated by the significant other.

Under the bottom line, Bonita is still a very nice resort with a solid Regency Club and far superior to the Regency Clearwater, which is a beach hotel, but not a real resort.
Old May 14, 2010, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by honey4life12
Thanks for your great review. How much more was the full breakfast vs the Cont Brkf in the club?

Do any of the Bay Suites have the A/C vent problem?
Very good questions...

Cannot answer the question about the suites at all, I recommend you call them to get a clear answer, I cannot even make an educated guess here.

Not sure, if you ask about the quantity of the buffets or the financial aspects.

We booked the AAA rate, which included breakfast, the full buffet should be ~ $ 17-20 ( 4 for 3 promo rate was also available and resulted in about the same rate and always includes an upgrade and full breakfast )

Quantity-wise, we are talking about a typical Continental Breakfast in the Regency Club, really standard fare plus salmon, some fruit, Tazo tea.

The full buffet is really one of the nicer ones, presented nicely, made to order eggs, usually one Mexican dish like small fajitas or breakfast quesadillas, different variety of fruit and good quality danish and bread, some items freshly baked by the hotel kitchen aside from the usual hot dishes, scambled eggs, bacon, sausage and breakfast potatoes ( three or four different styles rotating on a daily base )

I always liked the sugar stick they serve with your tea, features like this or the Bircher Muesli show some attention to detail that is normally unheard of for most US properties..., but well established internationally.
Old May 26, 2010, 9:22 am

Thumbs down Stay April, 2010

We had a three night stay here, our first. This is an attractive property not too far from either Ft. Myers or Naples. It is a high rise on the edge of a mangrove swamp. The interior is understated and elegant in a quiet way. It seemed moderately busy for a Wednesday-Saturday period. Our platinum status was not initially recognized. We had difficulty with the front desk with regards to our room assignment. For our second and third nights we had a second room booked and we were given an upgraded room. We were abruptly asked on our third night to leave our upgraded room late in the afternoon, this resulted in our last night having our new room comped and being given breakfast coupons as well. Although the manager was most apologetic, it left a bad impression. We intended to pay for our stay with Hyatt certificates, which we did at check out. Because I did not pay close attention to the charges, we were undercharged by several hundred dollars and incorrectly charged for the comped breakfasts and internet access. We only realized the errors when the unpaid charges from check out appeared on our credit cards. Only after multiple phone calls, emails and filing a dispute with Amex, were we finally able to settle the bill with additional Hyatt certificates being mailed to them and almost five weeks later getting a credit to our Amex accounts. The front desk operation here was inept and disappointing to say the least
Old May 31, 2010, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL DM; US GP; Fairmont PL; HHonors DM; Hyatt GP Diamond; Hertz President's Circle
Memorial Day 2010 Stay R

In brief, this is a beautiful property with incredibly mediocre service at best. Stay away on holiday weekends unless you enjoy a Spring Break crowd with ill-behaved kids.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 1:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlynGyn
In brief, this is a beautiful property with incredibly mediocre service at best. Stay away on holiday weekends unless you enjoy a Spring Break crowd with ill-behaved kids.
Agree a 100% about the service level that could be improved, however ill-behaved kids are a standard feature of every resort in the US during holiday periods, especially national holiday weekends and Hyatt is no exception.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:11 pm
Used to be " vincentppetty "

Programs: DL Platinum/1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium; Loews Platinum; GHA/Omni Platinum; Hilton Gold
Question Anyone stayed here recently?

Has anyone stayed here recently?

Just booked a 4-night stay for my wife and I over Thanksgiving and was curious whether anyone has any recent information on what sounds to be a wonderful property?

I used the last of my four Diamond Suite Upgrades and we have been assigned a Bay Suite -- any additional information on these Suites or recent experiences with these Suites? Any Diamonds ever get upgraded to a higher level suite?

Thanks so much!
Old Oct 10, 2010, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL PM '04; Hyatt Diamond
stayed here before was diamond... nice property. kids had fun at the pools and slides. lazy river was nice. enjoyed the breakfast (but not lunch or dinner) on property.

am going this wknd on the AAA breakfast rate. will give feedback after on staff and upgrade.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:52 pm
Used to be " vincentppetty "

Programs: DL Platinum/1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium; Loews Platinum; GHA/Omni Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by performancefitness
stayed here before was diamond... nice property. kids had fun at the pools and slides. lazy river was nice. enjoyed the breakfast (but not lunch or dinner) on property.

am going this wknd on the AAA breakfast rate. will give feedback after on staff and upgrade.
Can you elaborate on what you didn't like about lunch or dinner?

Did you use your Diamond Upgrade Cert this time around?

I look forward to whatever info you can provide on this property...
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Originally Posted by vincentppetty
Has anyone stayed here recently?

Just booked a 4-night stay for my wife and I over Thanksgiving and was curious whether anyone has any recent information on what sounds to be a wonderful property?

I used the last of my four Diamond Suite Upgrades and we have been assigned a Bay Suite -- any additional information on these Suites or recent experiences with these Suites? Any Diamonds ever get upgraded to a higher level suite?

Thanks so much!
We were given a Bay Suite last year. It was a 1BR with connecting Corner room that came with a Murphy bed. Overall maybe some 80sqm or so, 3 small balconies, 2 bathrooms (1 tub, 1 shower). Quite nice. Will go again next week and see what they have in store for us.

Does anybody have recent experiences with the resort fee ? I paid it last year then saw that it is usually comped for Diamonds...so planning not to make that mistake again.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by banzani
We were given a Bay Suite last year. It was a 1BR with connecting Corner room that came with a Murphy bed. Overall maybe some 80sqm or so, 3 small balconies, 2 bathrooms (1 tub, 1 shower). Quite nice. Will go again next week and see what they have in store for us.

Does anybody have recent experiences with the resort fee ? I paid it last year then saw that it is usually comped for Diamonds...so planning not to make that mistake again.
Really?? do they comp the resort fee for diamonds?? when I stayed as an award, it wasn't added, but i've had two stays at the Hyatt Orlando and was charged the $20 each day???
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by vincentppetty
Can you elaborate on what you didn't like about lunch or dinner?

Did you use your Diamond Upgrade Cert this time around?

I look forward to whatever info you can provide on this property...
Lunch was just ok, but for the price am willing to check out some other restaurants. What worked was going to the breakfast buffet (kids eat for half-price) a little later as to cover a few more hours before the mouths must be fed again. I really enjoyed the breakfast, very european in feel and quality.

Dinner just wasn't that good, especially for the price per entree and the service was very slow (but polite). Would do dinner for just appetizers this time, but maybe some off site exploration.

Last trip before diamond, didnt have access to regency club and didn't leave the facilities (either the vacation club or the hotel proper).

I didn't use my diamond upgrade cert bc I'm curious to see what room they will/if they will upgrade me to... with the AAA Hot Deal of $111/nt.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:58 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Originally Posted by performancefitness
Really?? do they comp the resort fee for diamonds?? when I stayed as an award, it wasn't added, but i've had two stays at the Hyatt Orlando and was charged the $20 each day???
I've seen several posts here (including for this hotel) that the resort fee was comped for Diamonds. Starwood does the same for their Plats. But it appears it is something you need to ask for, otherwise it will just be on your bill. I don't think this is standardized in any way, but it seems worth trying.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:07 pm
Suspended

The resort fee is charged for regular stays, comped when you use points/FFN

Spa access is comped for Diamond members, not the resort fee ^

Since some FD agents are beyond clueless, however, it is probably worth trying
Old Oct 13, 2010, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by FD1971
The resort fee is charged for regular stays, comped when you use points/FFN

Spa access is comped for Diamond members, not the resort fee ^

Since some FD agents are beyond clueless, however, it is probably worth trying
Will definitely ask @ the FD!

Called this morning to make sure and check the response. Concierge answering the phone didn't know and had to ask. Response was "resort fee is the same for everyone."
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Until two or three years ago I was comped without asking every time (several years). Not comped since. I asked the first time assuming it was a mistake and received a very abrupt no. If resort fees would ruin the stay for you don't go.

(This year we went to Clearwater instead, so I don't have current frame of reference).

By the way, what is the spa like? Don't think I was ever comped in but didn't know to ask either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.