Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Coconut Pointe (Bonita Springs, FL) Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coconut Pointe (Bonita Springs, FL) Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2003, 8:31 am
Suspended

I just returned from a FFN stay and will add my comments.

I was on the Regency Club floor facing those dreaded A/C units -- and they were not that bad -- I was high up -- but I don't think it makes for a nice use of the outside balcony sitting area.

The shampoos on the RC club are the ones used in the spa, on the other floors, they are the usual Portico products.

RC club was great -- missed breakfast -- but the dinner hors deouves came from the Tanglewood Restaurant -- a AAA 4 Diamond winner -- and they were Beef Tenderloin and Stuffed Pork loin with cherries -- the night that I was there.

Having said this, I must comment on those who have noted the supposedly high prices for food at the resort.

First, I know of no hotel or resort dining that has food that is dirt cheap.

Second, as noted above, Tanglewood is a AAA 4 Diamond award winner, and I can attest at least to the taste of the hors deourves that were served, that it is worth every penny that they charge.

Third, their dinner entrees range from $20-$25, and in my book, that is not extremely high, especially given the quality of the food.

Fourth, I noticed the menu of Chops, and some other local restaurants -- they have a big book in the RC Club containing these next to the Concierge Desk -- and Tanglewood's prices are in line with many of these restaurants.

Fifth, after imibing the free booze at the RC Club, you have got to be crazy to drive to those restaurants -- better to stumble down to the restaurants in the hotel!

Sixth, I ate at the Tarpon Grill, which specializes in seafood. The prices for entrees range from $25-$30. This is even higher than Tanglewood, but it was delicious, and there was a reggae band playing the Friday night that I was there.

Seventh, at Tarpon Grill, I would recommend the Fried Red Snapper @$27. It comes sort of like the type of fish ordered at a Chinese Restaurant and the fist averages 2-3 lbs., each!!! So, although expensive, two could share it as an entree easily!

Eighth, the timeshare presentation does not provide you with a $100 coupon for all the shops at the Miromar outlet mall nearby. However, certain shops -- Crabree and Evelyn, and Escada still do accept it. The Cert can be used for dining or spa services onsite, or for other locat restos.

Finally, if you go to the Miromar outlet mall first and receive their coupon booklet, they have a 10% discount Cert good at all of the Hyatt's restos, so this will bring down your food cost somewhat.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 10:24 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NJUPINTHEAIR:
Forgot to add that the $10 Resort fee covers the "free parking" and "free DVD rentals."

As a Diamond, however, I was not charged the resort fee.
</font>
Seems to depend on the agent checking you in, same with the $1 fee for 800/888 calls, some waive them, some look at you like you are a frog, if you ask them how they handle it...

Diamond/Resort fee summary from my last stays:

Orlando Grand Cypress:
Stay 1:Manager asked me, if I want to pay for it or not.Decided to pay, cause we would use the features extensively, especially the Pitch`n`Put Golf
Stay 2:No question asked, S 10 fee on bill, but waived after some argueing ( We checked in at 9 p.m , checked out at 9 a.m. not really able to use any feature...

Naples/Bonita Springs:
Manager explained all the features for about 2 minutes, told me how much is it, but no fee charged on check out !

Cambridge/Cheasapeake Bay:
No resort fee charged, don`t think hotel has a resort fee !

[This message has been edited by Threy (edited Dec 11, 2003).]
Old Feb 9, 2004, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
I'm currently at this (Coconut Point) resort and am having a great time.

While a Diamond, I was actually disappointed in the 1-800-Checkin service. The agent who handled my call actually seemed annoyed that I called ...didn't recognize me as a Diamond, and after putting me on hold for several long moments gave me a non-Regency Club room on a low floor facing inland. (My service with the 800 line was so disappointing I'm tempted to write a complaint letter to Hyatt.)

When I arrived at the resort, I just checked-in the old fashion way --when I did, they gave me a great bay-view room on the Regency Club floor. I asked about suite availability and they said they're sold out...and I believe it --the place is packed. When I arrived on the Regency Club level (17) there were people heading in/out the Presidential Suite. The front-door and check-in staff are all helpful and friendly.

In any event, the accomodations are great (I've been here before) and the ammenities include toiletries from the spa. The Regency Club room is clean and neat and contains a variety of snacks/treats/drinks throughout the day. The Club is open 6am-10pm; continental breakfast is served 6:30-9:30, afternoon cookies/softdrinks are served 11am-5pm, hors d'oeuvres and wine/mixed drinks are served 5pm-8pm, and codials/petit fours are served 8:30-10pm.

The snacks are top-rate; last night they had beef kabobs and potstickers... tonight they had sausage wrapped with pastry and duck eggrolls. The breakfast and cookie spreads have also been nice.

The resort is well maintained. And they've opened a new observation deck/lounge area on their private beach a short boat ride away.

Food throughout the resort is top-notch (but has a price to match.)
Old Feb 11, 2004, 7:20 pm

Just one interesting follow-up to Coconut Point: I don't know if it was a quirk in the elevators or my luck, but I noticed that when I was the first to enter the elevator and slide my card in to gain access to the 17th floor (Regency Club Floor), it "ignored" people who pressed buttons for floors below 17.

On a few occaisions, I'd go in... swipe my card/hit 17... and then a handful of other people would hit buttons for a few floors below 17. Once the door closed and we went up, the lit buttons for the floors below 17 went off and the elevator became an "express" for the Regency Club floor. The other guests in the elevator didn't know what was up ...and didn't know what was so special about the 17th floor since the elevator cars don't say anything about the Regency Club or the reason for the keycard slot.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 11:55 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by goingnow:
What things are there to do in the area of the resort? We are traveling with a 15 yr old son and want to find things for him to enjoy.</font>
There's not much around outside of the resort... most of the activities are contained within the resort grounds. If he likes tennis/golf/etc., he can do that there... or swim in one of the many pools. Inside, there's also a gameroom with pool table and video game machines... but while I was there, I didn't see any other teens there to play with.

At their dock they also provide kayak rentals which can also be fun --you can take the kayaks in/out of the mangrove coasts in the bay between the hotel and their beach.
Old Apr 4, 2004, 7:14 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Thumbs up Hyatt Coconut Point, stay report on FFN

My first judgement of a hotel is how they treat you on an award stay. This hotel, IMHO, did everything right. If I had been able to direct how this would have gone, it's how I would have done it. Well, OK, I may have given myself a suite, but that's neither here nor there.

Check in was a breeze. Actually, 1-800-checkin at 8AM was easy. The rep called the hotel and informed me she was going to try and accommodate my preferences. She came back saying the hotel had a RC room blocked for me that was empty but not ready. This was 8AM, remember. I would have been happy with 3PM, but they told me that they would endeavor to have the room ready by noon.

I called around 11AM and the front desk agent said, "We would love to welcome you whenever you're ready to come in. Your room is ready for you". A brief stop at the front desk to see the same nice agent got me my amenity selection and room key. I was put in a stunning King room on the RC floor. I have a feeling that most of the rooms are stunning, with bright decor that makes the rooms feel huge. Mine had a fridge, which allowed me to keep some water that I got from the club. My room was a partial Gulf-view, but it looked southward toward Naples which really gave a nice, long, pretty view off the balcony. I really, truly felt "upgraded"! Room amenities were from their "Stillwater Spa" line and were great.

The club spread was OUTSTANDING at ever meal - sliced meats, cheeses, pastries, cookies, fresh fruit. It's a model for RC's. I have only seen one like it, in San Diego. Eating here at meal time would feel like a MEAL, not a snack. I'm sure others have seen similar clubs around the world, but I'm mostly a domestic Hyatt guy. Regardless, the club is large, with plenty of table space inside and lots of chairs on balconies outside. Staff is attentive and supremely nice. And, they're not afraid to ensure guests' comfort. One mother and daughter entered the club in bare feet one evening. The attendant asked them to "please help us maintain the atmosphere of the club by returning with footwear". The mother got miffed, but they left. I guess some people would think that it's ok to go into a public food area in bare feet, but I'm glad the club attendant addressed it. I personally prefer covered feet in my non-pool dining areas. But that's just me. The club was available to guests from 6AM to 10PM continuously, with beverages available when there was no food service.

The spa was beautiful. The fitness center was adequate, with weight machines, dumbells, several treadmills and crosstrainers. It was not crowded when I was in there, but imagine there would be some waiting during peak times. It was clean and well-kept. I didn't spend much time at the pools, as I was in town for a lot of family functions. They looked incredible and I'm sure others could do a better job describing.

One disappointment was the main restaurant, Tanglewoods. We were seated for 20 minutes without being approached by a server. The place was busy, but not "jumping". No water, no acknowledgement. We went to leave, and the hostess did get the manager. He was polite, and apologized profusely. He put us at another table, in the same station with the same waitress who had ignored us previously. ( She ended up being a delightful woman who apologized for being really overwhelmed. ). I was equally disappointed in the bill. The most expensive entree on the menu was the Filet, at $24. She explained the evening's special, Filet with stuffed shrimp, which sounded great. They didn't mention the price, and I didn't ask. We both ordered it, and I was shocked when I saw the bill. $48 for a filet and two stuffed shrimp. I didn't say anything, but I thought that it would have been appropriate to say, "Our special is XXX, it comes with XXX, and it's 48". Nonetheless, the food was OK (NOT oustanding), and we left. I also found it curious that the manager never offered anything for our trouble...not even a cup of coffee. We didn't ask, either.

The restaurant couldn't spoil what had been a tremendous stay at a really great Hyatt. The hotel was sold out two of our three nights there. Yet, we never felt they missed a beat. We never had to wait for our car with the valet. We never waited too long for housekeeping, who really did a nice job.

I did write a personal "thank you" to the EAM/Rooms for the upgrade. Despite being a diamond, I'm well-experienced with Hotels, Hyatt and others, who don't follow the rules of their frequent guest programs on paid stays, let alone award stays.

I look forward to returning to this hotel many times and spending even more time there.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 7:59 pm

We just returned from this property!

Our family of 4 just returned from this property this week. We stayed there on a Priceline rate. It was our first experience using Priceline and we were treated wonderfully by this Hyatt. We are also GP members. We loved this property and really enjoyed our stay. We did find the beds to be horrible though! Did you find the beds terribly uncomfortable? That is really our only complaint with this property other than it not really being on the beach.
Old Apr 10, 2004, 9:19 am

Wow!

Wow! The beds in our room were nowhere near Westin's Heavenly bed! These mattresses were more like Motel 6. Seriously, our backs were killing us (even the kids) and we all commented that we thought the floor would be more comfortable. They must have different mattresses for different rooms. As I stated previously we stayed on a Priceline rate, so we were not in the same area as you, although we are Gold Passport members. Interesting! Thanks for information!
Old Apr 10, 2004, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by travelovingnurse
Wow! The beds in our room were nowhere near Westin's Heavenly bed! These mattresses were more like Motel 6.
Where are these Heavenly Beds? During my 2 stays there, both on the RC floor, our beds were like laying on plywood. This is a great resort, but I was surprised they did not spend a little more on mattresses
Old Oct 16, 2004, 12:13 pm

Thumbs up Current FFN Stay

I'm currently at this resort on an FFN award stay ...and this marks my 3rd stay here.

The service is at phenomenal levels --everyone from the front door man to the front desk staff to housekeeping are friendly, cordial, and warm. The entire staff seems genuinely interested to make sure all guests have perfect vacations. Of all of my Hyatt stays, the staff here is the best.

Rooms/views are as expected ...and the RC fare is very good. I have no complaints either about the food/drink offered on the resort grounds ...nor am I shocked by resort pricing. (Example: seafood dinner + 2 drinks + dessert + tip = $60.)

While some trees are showing the wear/tear from the hurricane/tropical storm force winds that were here back in August, and broken billboards litter highway 41 near the resort, unless you knew about Charley, you wouldn't have known this resort was close to a Category 4 Hurricane. (Unforuntately, can't say the same for the resort's island neighbors to the north --I still can't get over the devestation on Sanibel and Capitva Islands.)

All in all this a top-notch resort property that I continue to recommend. I'm already planning on returning for my 4th time next February.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 10:57 am

Beach

Originally Posted by Happy
Weatherboy, did you go to the beach ? If so, can you report the condition ?

So they let Diamonds to have room on RC floor or have RC access on FFN. That is good to know. We will spend 2 FFN's there late November.

Thanks for update.
The beach is fine... I just wish they'd open up a resteraunt/bar out there ...and perhaps extend the hours of the boat service to/from the beach.

You get diamond perks (RC upgrades or access, etc.) regardless of your room rate... so yes, you will get an RC room or at least RC access on your stay.

I don't notice any difference from the RC and non-RC rooms here. Although rooms on the RC floor have balconies while rooms on the 18th floor above it and other even floors don't.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 10:32 pm

Location: SFO; AA Platinum, NW Platinum, UA 100K, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hertz President's Circle, Avis First
Just to weigh in on the Bonita Springs property:

My family and I have stayed there now three times, using both FFN and points. Diamond status combined with the property's service have been absolutely excellent. For example:

Pre-reserved 2 specific rooms overlooking the Estero Bay for my wife's birthday last spring; I've never had another property actually block out a specific room for me, though I've often called in advance to try

Access to RC AND complimentary breakfast coupons, though this was admittedly an exception because it was my third stay there. Coupons allow you to order anything off the menu and the RC spread is very good.

Island Beach is ok; you must time the boat trips or you can get stuck and the beach itself is narrrow.

Restaurants are too expensive, but the quality of the staff, top notch RC and extra attention Diamond members get keep us coming back.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 10:24 am

Has anyone used the spa or spa services at this property? I'll be in the area over Christmas and was hoping to try them out. Thanks for any thoughts.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 11:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy Card, CO Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Amex Centurion and its perks...
It is a fine property with a spa that is more than satisfactory for a Hyatt resort. You should have a very nice time. If you have specific questions, please let me know.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 4:49 pm

Thumbs up Updated Trip Report

I'm back at Coconut Point again --I think this is my 5th stay here.

Again, I'm delighted with everything again --overall, the hotel is in excellent shape, the staff continues to over-deliver, and food/drink resort-wide remains exceptional.

However, the pool snackbar/bar service could use improvement ...but it just may be because this isn't a busy season. There were no waitresses/waiters servicing the pool areas --you had to walk to the snackbar and order food/drink there and carry it back with you. The table service at the snackbar was ok but slow ...but again, I think this was more because of the season and lack of crouds than anything else.

On the other hand, the staff in the RC is the best I've encounted in a Hyatt yet. Everyone, regardless of time of day, is extremely personable, warm, outgoing, and friendly ....and will go completely out of their way to make sure your RC visit is 110% perfect. Some examples: I visited the RC one evening 5 minutes before they were shutting down evening food service and most of the food was gone (as expected.) I was really in there to grab some free water But the RC agent actually asked if I was hungry, described what was put out that evening, and had the resteraunt downstairs assemble me a sampling of what was prepared!! And then one breakfast, I really wanted a cherry danish... but all the danish was gone. Again, my only dismay being a subtle sigh at the display of carbs, the RC agent rushed to the rescue and had a cherry danish rushed up from downstairs. And when it came to making recommendations (or reservations) for restaraunts or golf courses, the RC agents were outgoing and friendly and did everything possible to make the best arrangements possible. In the last few days, 5 separate RC agents serviced the lounge and all were equally wonderfull! The service there has been so good, I'll be dropping a note to the Manager to commend him for the service. ^ ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.