Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Minneapolis (Downtown) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2002, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist

Just did a seach and couldn't find anything, so here goes:
I am lucky enough to have to make a trip to the fair city of Minneapolis in late Feb. I see they have 2 hotels, the Regency & a Hyatt Whitney. Does anyone have any thoughts as to which is better? My other option would be Starwood, and they don't appear to be represented at all in the city.
PS-- as a Diamond, I would be mostly interested in how they treat elites.

[This message has been edited by mauld (edited 02-01-2002).]
Old Feb 1, 2002, 9:05 am
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
The Whitney is a very nice hotel but somewhat "away from the action", the Regency is a typical big city convention Hyatt, nothing wrong with it . . . but. The Regency does have a RC, while the Whitney does not. The last two times I have stayed at the Whitney -- you get the usual choice of amenities, but nothing towards breakfast -- but each time they did (without asking) upgrade me to one of their bi-level suites, very nice. The restaurant in the Whitney is very good also. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 3, 2002, 1:49 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I also would head for the Whitney hands down.
Not a winner but highly satisfactory with a caring staff.Improved since Hyatt took it over.
The other Hyatt visited last year was one of the poorest of any stays with any Hyatt.Regency Club rooms in run down condition , cracked stained sinks,dirty windows,poor quality regency club,and so on.
Poor uncaring service to boot.
I was there during a cloning convention (my luck)with lots of protesters around and security folks.
The Hilton around the corner which I toured was very new and impressive. Don't know how they compete in that market.Triple Airline miles for your stay at the Whitney if your stay falls on the correct dates! See Hyatts website for further details!
Happy Travels

[This message has been edited by 777 global mile hound (edited 02-03-2002).]
Old Feb 4, 2002, 1:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Whitney, hands down. Nice suites there. It's a SHORT cab ride away from DT. The Regency is closer to the action but with much smaller rooms.

If you want to have a drink with another FTer during your brief stay, let me know.

FYI- By FAR the nicest hotel in town is the Minneapolis Grand (unaffiliated).
Old Sep 15, 2004, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Any current comments on the HR downtown? Do they have a RC open? Thanks
Old Sep 15, 2004, 2:13 pm
sy7

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I stayed at the downtown HR last weekend. It has been semi-renovated. The the rooms have been repainted, the carpet is new, and the bathroom has been updated with oval tub and curved shower rod. I liked the private dressing area by the bathroom. However, the bedding is still the old style with bedspread and no feathertop mattress. Overall, the room was fine, though not as nice as the fully renovated Hyatts. I also liked that the coffeeshop in the lobby carries a nice selection of krispy creme donuts.

I didn't check out the RC since it is closed over the weekend.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 4:01 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Stayed there this past spring. RC is closed on the weekends, but they gave me certs for 2 free drinks and 2 free appetizers in the lobby bar. Breakfast was continental in the lobby restaurant.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
any updates on this property. the last post is in 2004. thanks.
As of several months ago, the lounge is open on weekends. Other than that, it's the same old average Hyatt.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I used to live 2 blocks away and used the gym/bar/pool, etc. there. First, the restaurants are among the best in Minneapolis. If you like steak, Manny's is as good as any steakhouse that I have been to in New York. Get the cheesecake for dessert. Oceannaire is very good for seafood.

The gym is above average and very large. The equipment is fairly new and the staff is "Minnesota-nice." Be sure to say hello to Doug for me if you go to the gym. Note: many of the rooms overlook the indoor pool, which feels kind of strange. It can get gross if someone is smoking in the pool area.

The hotel itself is kind of tired looking. I haven't seen any of the rooms since the makeover, but from what I saw while at the pool, it's nothing wonderful. The staff is friendly, though, and the location is decent--it is on the skyway, but all the way at the end.

Mike
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by mikeef
First, the restaurants are among the best in Minneapolis. If you like steak, Manny's is as good as any steakhouse that I have been to in New York. Get the cheesecake for dessert. Oceannaire is very good for seafood.
While both restaurants are located on hotel property, neither restaurant is affiliated with the hotel, and neither restaurant allows charges to be posted to your room. In other words, great meal but no points.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:32 am
Suspended

interesting comments. thank you.

any thoughts on parking? i have been staying at sheratons out of town so parking hasn't been an issue.

but, after not being sent a useful promotion recently and hyatt rolling out its free night thingie, i wanted to give this hyatt a try. i booked eight nights here to start.

is parking easy/cheap?
Old Aug 18, 2005, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
any thoughts on parking?
Parking is $12/night w/in and out privileges. Meters are usually easily found on 12th street, and are free between 6 p.m. and 8 a.m.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
As of several months ago, the lounge is open on weekends. Other than that, it's the same old average Hyatt.
I was in some 1-bedroom suites there in spring this year and "same old average Hyatt" is a good characterization. However, the suites didn't feel nearly as dated as the feel of some of the hallways and common areas.

It's location isn't well-suited for me, but other than that there is no reason I would avoid the Hyatt there. The other options in town besides the former LeMeridien/current Graves Hotel are all sort of aged now or not that great.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 7:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
This would be an improvement of sorts. When I made my reservations for October, the CS rep stated that the lounge is still not open on weekends. I hope that it is.

***update*** I just checked my October reservations on line, found a much lower rate (yeah me!) and asked about the RC. Here's the scoop:

M-F: Breakfast 6:30am-9:30am
M-T: O'D 5:00pm-8:00pm (none on Friday)
SS: Breakfast only 7:00am-10:00am.
***end update***

I agree with the comments about the exercize facility - it is the best of all of the US Hyatt's that I've visited. It is a downtown club attached to the hotel. I think that, as a diamond, I got free use of it the last two times I've stayed there.

There is also a great little Japanese place just across the street (facing the health club and parking garage). Pretty good sushi bar.

Last edited by macj86; Sep 23, 2005 at 7:28 am
Old Mar 20, 2007, 4:10 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
perfectly acceptable Hyatt convention hotel -- nothing great but certainly not bad. RC is small but very pleasant. The steak house attached to hotel is pricey but excellent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.