Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2010, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
I stayed here last week for one night on a business trip. It was fine for me, but then again I am not very picky. The place struck me as more of a motel with some new furniture. The lack of air conditioning was annoying, but it was cool enough outside to get some sleep. Everyone at checkin seemed to be getting training. Perhaps this is what happens at the beginning of summer when new employees arrive from local high schools.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I had a stay at the Monterey HR in June. I burned a suite upgrade (although from prior posts, it seems diamonds often get upgraded anyway) and was confirmed into a Monterey Suite.

I will echo what many posters in this thread have noted: the front desk and RC staff appeared very inexperienced, and the RC itself was quite spartan in its offerings. At least the RC refrigerator was always well-stocked with drinks, but I agree with past posters who suggest that the RC is just doing the minimum to avoid having to give Diamonds free breakfast and 2.5k points. Certainly this lack of offerings in the RC doesn't give a good impression of the property.

I also wasn't a fan of the Monterey Suite, which is basically two connecting standard rooms with one acting as the living room. Thus, the bedroom has a door directly into a hallway, which meant that noises from people in the halls were often bothersome. Additionally, the connected layout meant the light switches tended to be in awkward places relative to how a guest would normally enter the rooms.

I don't know how the Monterey Suite was done after the renovation, but it really feels like they added it as a second thought... as if they had been planning on having two separate rooms and then decided they wanted a suite - it truly feels like they didn't put much effort or planning into it. For example, while I was a fan of the lighting in the bedroom due to the lights in the bed backboard, this is absent from the living room side so the lighting is not nearly as nice and the room seems rather dim at night. There is a desk on the living room side attached to the cabinet the TV is on, but this is absent on the bedroom side despite an identical TV cabinet layout, so there is no desk in the bedroom. It would also have been nice to have a desk layout that allowed easier viewing of the TV, as well as some extra sitting areas in the living room in addition to just the sofa that replaces the bed.

I do think the lack of AC is a big problem. While I acknowledge that Monterey does stay cool most of the year, during my visit it got pretty close to 80F highs and the rooms got very warm. The ceiling fan in my room wound up not mitigating the heat much because it made a rather loud low-pitched oscillating sound on the two highest settings, so it wasn't possible for me to sleep with the fan turned up. Also, leaving the windows open may not be an optimal situation depending on room location as my windows overlooked one of the primary parking areas (my suite was in the RC building) and patrons leaving the hotel bar were often numerous and quite noisy into the early hours even on weekday nights, and then in the mornings, noise from delivery trucks and the hotel's equipment moving stuff around was also loud in that area.

Overall my stay was pleasant enough. Housekeeping was good and the staff was friendly even if inexperienced. However, these shortcomings do make me consider alternatives next time I'm in Monterey.

Last edited by gengar; Aug 14, 2010 at 7:51 pm
Old Aug 14, 2010, 9:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, Delta Plat, UA 1K, Avis Presidents
Hm

Stayed at this hotel on 8/7 on BWB. No upgrade. Echo what most people have said. Feels more like a good motel than hotel based on the rooms. Floors/walls are thin I guess because I could hear jumping up and down above me. Regency club is tiny, but the staff does their best. Lots of weddings this time of year too, so parking near my room was a problem at night when everyone returned. You'll find parking, it just might be a bit of a walk. No A/C in the room, just a ceiling fan and an open window. Make sure you turn those bathroom lights off before taking a nap or leaving because they are HOT. I took a nap with those lights on and my room rose enough in temp to wake me up. Very odd and very noticeable, (or maybe it was just my room). Great looking golf course.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
I am currently staying here tonight using diamond suite upgrade, monterey suite was granted. Lots of wedding, and golf tournament is going on this labor day weekend.
Third time staying at their monterey suite, 2 full bath, living room, king bed, two balconies.
Regency club was very crowded, but food was great. Even though they have limited selection, but quality is much better than SFO, great desert!~
Old Sep 5, 2010, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
No Air Conditioning

I stayed at the Hyatt Monterey Aug. 24-26. Montery had been cold all summer, but summer with >90'F arrived on Aug. 23.

When I checked in ~ 9 PM I saw a lot of room with windows and doors open toward the parking lot. I thought it was strange since there's no privacy. I found out why when I went into my ground floor room. The room was very hot and stuffy, and the thermostat on the wall didn't work. A call to the front desk confirmed that there is no air conditioning in the hotel, a few roomss had portable AC units. I was relocated to the second floor facing the golf course so it wouldn't be too bad with the windows opened. It was almost midnight before the room was bearable to sleep.

I understand that Monterey does not need AC for ~360 days a year. But if you happen to be there during the 5 hot days, then you'd expect AC in a Hyatt Regency.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:31 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
We booked one night stay at this hotel arriving on Friday, June 25, and departing the next day. I was not recognized as a Diamond at check-in, was not offered the Diamond amenity or the lounge benefits. It took two calls and another visit to the FD to get things straightened out. Checked-in at about 5 PM and checkout at about noon the next day. One word to describe this property: CHAOS! Chaos at the FD, chaos in the parking lot and chaos at the regency club. Party atmosphere on Friday night.

Reception & FD:

Arrived as indicated above late Friday afternoon. The small lobby by building 5 was packed with drinking and drunk happy hour guests and locals. FD agent (not high school age kid) although polite didn't seem to recognize Diamond status. I asked for and got an upgrade to "a Suite"

Room:

The room (# 628) was a one-bedroom suite located on the 2nd floor of building 6 with at least 50 sqm in size. Nice, well-appointed, and overlooking the golf course. small size bathroom with a huge rain shower and no tub and another small restroom by the enterance with a sink and comode. The suite was clean and comfortable with two flat screen TVs in the bedroom and the living room. We requested a baby crib and it was delivered promptly

Service:

Nice staff at the FD and RC. Housekeeping delivered when we requested a crib. Some minor issues with FD but it was corrected.

Turn down service was not performed maybe because of the relatively late check-in.

Free but chaotic parking lot on first come first serve basis.

Regency Club:

The regency club which is located in building 5 on the other side of the lobby building is very small in comparison with other executive lounges I have been to. It looked like two rooms were converted to form this RC. Children are allowed in the lounge but due to its small size guests were constantly bumping into each other.

Food:

Breakfast in the lounge was cont. Fruits, cereals, pastries, chesses, juices, smoked salmon, bagels, etc. were available in addition to hot beverages. Food offerings at happy hours (5-8 PM) were okay. Honor bar for alcohol, beer and wine but no premium brands.

Did not try any other F&B outlets at this property.

Excellent location right at HWY 1 (Cabrillo HWY) about a mile south of beautiful downtown Monterey and its cannaries and wharf.

Swimming Pool:

And kids play grounds right next to the RC at the back of building 5. All looked like great fun but it was too cold to participate.

Our total bill for room and tax was about $160 and I paid with 3 $50 HGC and charged the balance onto my cc.

See photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/...7624403918282/
Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, ICG Platinum Royal Ambassador, Avis President's Club
Have stayed here twice. Both times upgraded to a Monterey suite automatically. I agree with others-- while comfortable the overall experience is not that extraordinary ( the room, RC, etc.). Much prefer the Monterey Intercontinental on the waterfront.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, US Air Gold
Stayed here on 12/4 - 12/5 using a suite upgrade. Emailed the GM a week before letting him know it was a special occasion. He came through with flying colors. I was upgraded to a VIP suite and had a bottle of wine and fruit platter awaiting me in the room. The front desk person heard it was a special occasion and sent me a antipasta plate, which was above and beyond what was required.

The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful, although I really didn't need much from them on this stay.

The hotel is nice. As some other people have commented, it is sort of motel style with a bunch of 2 floor buildings spread out. It is sort of annoying to be a couple minute walk from the Regency Club, but it really isn't a big deal (unless it is raining). The property is very nice and in good condition.

I stayed in a VIP suite on the 1st floor of building 7. It was a 2 room suite. It was basically 2 attached hotel rooms. The first room had a chez lounge, which was really uncomfortable to sit in. It also had 2 chairs and a coffee table. There was a large full bathroom in the room too. Both rooms had flat screen TVs.

The bedroom was a typical hotel room. The bathroom in this room was much nicer. It had a rain shower, which was a nice perk.

To be honest, we didn't spend much time in the hotel room, since there is so much to do and see in the area. This hotel is definitely not as nice as the Highland Inn property, but it is also about 1/4 the price.

I would definitely stay here again if I venture back to Monterey.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:50 pm

Programs: spg starwood -platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Melissa At The Front Desk Made Our Stay(s) A Great Success!!

Last week, we ended up having 2 stays at this hotel. We called first to book our reservation and had the pleasure of speaking with Melissa at the Front Desk. Without even asking, Melissa alerted us to the fact that Route 1 was closed and to take an alternate route to the hotel. That saved us countless hours! When we checked in for our first stay we met Melissa (who has worked here at the hotel for about 4 years). Melissa was exceedingly friendly and knowledgeable. She found us a wonderful upgraded room and suggested a great place to eat in Carmel (which was incredible) including what to order at the restaurant! When we decided to return to the hotel for a second stay later in the week, Melissa took care of everything for us once again. It is so refreshing to work with someone at a Front Desk as sharp and talented as Melissa. Thank you Melissa!

We enjoyed our room and the hotel overall. However, one thing that disappointed us just a bit was the Regency Club offerings. At dinner time, there was no hot dish ... just dried fruit and some nuts, vegetables, some broken pieces of cheese (it almost looked like leftovers from another day) and cured meat. While I have not been to too many RC's thus far, I was under the impression that they served a hot dish around dinner time? Also, the afternoon offering was simply the dried fruit and nuts. This is one area I thought the hotel could improve upon. On the other hand, I thought it was a nice touch to offer us a few half price drink coupons at check in for the open bar/fireplace area by the front desk. Although we did not use them, it looked like they had some wonderful offerings.

Overall, a couple great stays in a great CA location. I hope to be back again soon.
Old May 19, 2011, 5:40 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Is the resort fee charged on an award stay? If it matters, I'm a lowly Platinum.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA AA HGP SPG HH
They have portale air conditioners in the rooms now.

Just checked in about half an hours ago.

The first thing I saw was a portable air cooling unit. On the end of the table, there is a card under the remote control for it:

"Due to our year-round cool climate here in Monterey, our guest rooms do not have a centralized cooling system installed.

For your comfort, this room has been equipped with portable air cooling unit that will lower the temperature in your room in just a few moment."

As it's not that hot right now, I didn't bother to try it for that claim. But if you have been reluctant to make reservation in this property before, it had been rectified somewhat.

Regarding the check-in, it was somewhat crowded with a long line. There were no clearly marked Diamond priority check-in. I was somewhat tired due to pretty grilling drive. So I let the staff shepherded me into using the express check-in machine. Then I started to ask where can I request 1w as amenity choices, ... Suddenly they realized I am a GP Diamond. Hours for regency club was promptly produced. I did have to ask for Regency Club discount drink coupons, which was offered promptly once asked. I will echo what others had said, that the front desk staff are friendly and well-meaning, but seems a little bit under-trained and hurried.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 6:58 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

An air cooling unit (an evaporative cooler) is NOT the same as an airconditioner. It's just a fan that blows over a water tank.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 12:01 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
An air cooling unit (an evaporative cooler) is NOT the same as an airconditioner. It's just a fan that blows over a water tank.
Am also here now as part of a family road trip and central coast tour. Staying in Monterey suite that is equipped with the aforementioned cooling unit, which do not appear to be installed in all rooms based on the unit instructions placed in the room. Rest assured that these units are not an evaporative cooling unit, they are a somewhat portable air conditioning unit that works similar to a window a/c unit: they have a flex hose for outside air inflow to the unit and various fan speed settings. They are mounted on wheels and the flex hose is extendable thus the unit can be moved somewhat around the room. Though the high temps this week in Monterey have only been 70ish, anyone who has visited here knows the rooms can get stuffy and take a while to cool in the evenings. The unit is certainly effective and will make a world of difference on the rare occasion when there is a truly hot day. If you are a GP Diamond or Platinum visiting and are concerned about room temps, make sure you request a room with the cooling unit.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
LTO $119 - resort fee waived

Hat tip to Travelzoo, but available on the Hyatt.com website as a limited time offer without putting in any promo code (which should:get point/stay credit) $133.05 all in/night. Includes weekends, too. Prepaid rate, book before 11/16.

Rate Description:
Reduced Rate: Excludes Tax - Booking Window: November 9, 2011 - November 16, 2011 - Valid: November 21, 2011 - January 31, 2012 - Blackout Date: December 31, 2011 - Resort Fee Included in Rate, Per Night. - Full Prepay/Non-Refundable at Booking.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
Hat tip to Travelzoo, but available on the Hyatt.com website as a limited time offer without putting in any promo code (which should:get point/stay credit) $133.05 all in/night. Includes weekends, too. Prepaid rate, book before 11/16.

Rate Description:
Reduced Rate: Excludes Tax - Booking Window: November 9, 2011 - November 16, 2011 - Valid: November 21, 2011 - January 31, 2012 - Blackout Date: December 31, 2011 - Resort Fee Included in Rate, Per Night. - Full Prepay/Non-Refundable at Booking.
Found it. Thanks!

Last edited by loulou8; Nov 10, 2011 at 1:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.