FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Grand Hyatt Amman REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/133876-grand-hyatt-amman-review-master-thread.html)

Dampflok Oct 24, 2001 5:42 am

Grand Hyatt Amman REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

In November I am going to the Hyatt in Amman. Any experience with this property?

SFO_FT Oct 24, 2001 12:31 pm

Was there last December. Property is fine. Feels like a suburban U.S. property. Nice furnishings, but nothing spectacular.

speedbird001 Oct 25, 2001 8:35 am

I was there last June. Very nice and comfortable. Lots of new hotels in Amman and renovated Intercontinental.

------------------
speedbird001

Dampflok Nov 30, 2001 11:56 am

Just came back from my vaccation in Jordan and want to share the experience in the Hyatt Amman with you.

We were arriving really early (somewhere between 4 and 5 am) at the Hyatt due to the a bit inconvenient flight connections from Europe. We were just planning on storing our luggage there and where extremely positively surprised that the receptionist even offered us to have our room already. The staff was very friendly and professional all the time.
The building is nice, but indeed not spectcular, but the view is. You have a cool view over the city to the new mosque form the breakfast room.
After two nights we left to explore the south of Jordan and returned a week later to the Hyatt.
Returning we were already greeted by name and had a fruit basket and a water waiting in the room (I have no status with Hyatt).

I can really recommend this property. The staff is doing everything to make your stay enjoyable.

stimpy May 2, 2004 4:53 pm

Any recent reviews? The spa info on the web looks great!

stimpy May 25, 2004 7:40 am

To answer my own question, the hotel is in great shape. It is however full of American defense contractors gabbing away about Iraq. Just spending a few minutes in the Grand Club told me more about Iraq than I could learn in days of watching TV. All the hotels here in Amman are doing great business these days.

The spa is pretty good, but nowhere near as nice as Seoul or Tokyo. WiFi is 10 dinar per 24 hours, available in the lobby and Grand Club. The GC breakfast is very good!

RTWSTARALLIANCE Oct 30, 2007 2:30 pm

GH Amman assist please

Off next month to Petra via Amman. Have one night upon arrival into AMM at GH, next evening at Marriott in Wadi (Petra) and final night at GH again.

Anyone been there GH or Marriott for that fact? Treatment of Diamonds. Have award room confirmed on Club for both nights. How about transport from AMM to GH? From Amman to Marriott in Wadi? Any and all comments appreciated. Thanks.

Bondiboy Nov 1, 2007 9:17 am

I have stayed at the GH Amman (as a Diamond) several times and it was unmemorable. The location is not great and the security precautions are somewhat restrictive. Currently I stay at the IC at a corporate rate of approx $100 - which is far more reasonable that the rates at the GH.

If the sole purpose of your visit is just to transit Amman to get to/from Petra there may be better alternatives than the GH. There is also a half reasonable local hotel located at the airport.

When I visited Petra I rented a car and drove myself - a very exciting drive past some of the great Crusader Castles. There are lots of travel agencies who can arrange the trip for you

RMC500 Nov 1, 2007 4:24 pm

Since the bombing, the GH in Amman has lost a lot of business and security is tight (e.g., you have to go through metal detectors to even get onto the hotel grounds). That said, if it's only a one-night stay in AMM, I would go with the GH. When I was there, the club level was virtually empty. I was using points, and as a Diamond, was upgraded to club level. You can arrange transportation from airport to GH via email with the hotel. Also, there is (or used to be) a Hertz office in the GH, and it's easy to arrange a car and driver to carry you to Petra, which is about 3 hrs or so away - they will also send a car and driver to take you back to the airport or whereever. Hertz may cost a little more, but the vehicles are clean and safe, and the drivers speak English. Incidentally, the hotel with the best location in Petra (and also the nicest) is the Movenpick, which is located at the entrance to the ancient city, so you can simply walk from the hotel to the tourist sites; I'm sure you'll need a taxi or rental to get from Marriott to the site.

RTWSTARALLIANCE Nov 2, 2007 9:54 am

Is the hotel at AMM nice or ok? The drive if safe sounds wonderful.

We noted the the GH AMM was highly rated in one of the travel mags. Should we arrange car service with Hertz directly. I gotta believe it is cheaper than some of the rates I just got from the GH. Maybe pick at car up at the GH Hertz counter then drive. Interesting.

How about taxi from AMM. The GH is quoting $40 or $60 one-way.

The hotels at Petra are packed. Our hotel is sold out. Marriot has free shuttle service to the Petra gate.

Any additional comments appreciated. Thanks.

mecabq Nov 2, 2007 10:22 am

The Hyatt is nice. Far nicer than the InterCon. The rooms are large and bathrooms typical Hyatt elegance. Given that the food in Amman is pretty mediocre in general and that there isn't a lot to walk to from the Hyatt, you will be glad to know that the restaurants at the hotel are quite good.

Taxis from the airport to central Amman (including the Hyatt) are a fixed JOD 17.5, or $25. This is perfectly safe and easy to do -- just walk out from the airport, and there will be an attendant who hands you an official ticket/receipt (like at DCA and LGA, for example) and directs you to a taxi. The drivers are friendly and honest almost all of the time.

Bondiboy Nov 2, 2007 1:22 pm

The last time that I visited Petra (2005) I came from Jedda and arrived at AMM a little after noon. I picked up my rental car at the airport and drove directly to Petra.

The advice given above re the taxi fare is 100% correct.

I have nothing against the Grand Hyatt, except that it is barely of HR quality and branding it as a Grand Hyatt is a real stretch.

I recommend that you do a little reading on the Crusader Castles before you go

RTWSTARALLIANCE Nov 16, 2007 7:31 pm

Grand Hyatt Amman report 11/2007 and Petra

Please see my ongoing report as this is really a trip to Petra. See Trip Reports.

Preface: Going to Petra.

Rate: Used 10,000 points from Club room.

Transportation: I had arranged transport from AMM for 45 JOD but a guy on our plane who also came in from SFO offered us a lift. Upon arrival you will walk your luggage thru a screening before entering the Hotel.

Parking: not used

Check-in: This was efficient. I was already on Club and asked about upgrade. All junior suites occupied but as Diamond this would be the upgrade from Club. They will copy your passport.

Perks: I received a bottle of wine and my friend who has not status got chocolates.

Lounge: Have not visited it yet. Letter says newly renovated. Opens at 7 AM. Hot items and drinks 6 to 8 PM.

Room: You enter onto marble. To the right is the bathroom which has an angle like the GH Hong Kong. Then comes a night stand, king bed, night stand, comfy chair and ottoman, desk with two chairs, entertainment center with tube tv and two closets. The bedroom area has carpet.

Bathroom: The bathroom is in marble. Cozy with toilet to right, single sink and shower room with tub and separate standing showere area. No name amenities.

Internet: This is nice. Club rooms have complimentary internet. When I clicked the screen already had it noted.

Gym: not been

Spa: They do have spa services. Might get that on the way back.

Eating venues: will advise later

Local markets: will advise later

Local area: Here to visit Petra. So later today will take a car and driver to Petra. Will post more later. Arranged by the Hotel.

Negatives: All is well.

Closing: Would stay again. More than I expected. The guy with us had just stayed at the Le Meridien and hated it. Old and like a convention hotel. So glad we did not stay there.

RTWSTARALLIANCE Nov 17, 2007 2:14 am

After waking I find my bathroom a little dirty versus what would be comfortable. I also find my room near the highway which runs outside the back of the Hotel. So much for quiet in my profile. My friend who has no status has the quiet room.

Also. I went down to Hertz to confirm my transfer (car and driver) information to Petra. The rate quoted by the Hotel was wrong and they wish to charge an additional 85 JOD since the driver has to stay overnight. Fortunately I have 8 pages of printed e-mails back and forth to the Hotel with no mention of this extra charge. I told them to work it out.

The Lounge spread is very so so. None of the items other than juices are kept cool/cold. So the idea of eating items which by my standards not been kept chilled bothers me. They also do not restock items. No orange juice after it ran out. But this is supposed to be among the finest in AMM.

RTWSTARALLIANCE Nov 17, 2007 8:42 am

The Hyatt honored the rate working something out with Hertz. Getting a car and driver was the best option. People usually make this a day trip but being over-night has worked out. See more about this under Trip Report and the Marriott forum.