Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Dallas (Downtown) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Dallas (Downtown) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2015, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Downside risk is that if they catch the scam, the second room is at the rack rate which can far exceed whatever you're paying for the first room as they've presumably got you in a situation where there aren't too many choices.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 1:29 pm

What you propose is fraud. It also is potentially dangerous.

If you do this and get caught, the scenario that Often1 describes is just one possibility. In the hotels in which I worked, we evicted guests who knowingly violated occupancy limits.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: IHG (Spire), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Lifetime Gold); Hyatt (Globalist)
Does anyone have recent updates for this hotel, in general? I was able to use a DSU for an upcoming 5 night work trip where I'll have lots of free time, but have never stayed before.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Am I wrong or are there no posts about this hotel since 2016? Did a search and found DFW GH, North Dallas Hyatt, etc.
If I missed something, please direct me there.
Otherwise, a question-- how is Globalist treatment here? Upgrades, breakfast, club lounge? I think there is no lounge anyway (?)

Globalist partner is heading there this week for 3 night stay for a convention.
I will be joining for 3 more nights' long weekend.

Should we just extend the stay at this hotel? Or switch to somewhere else better? We don't mind moving hotels once.
Could also do an HHonors hotel (Diamond status) or IHG (Platinum).
Thoughts? Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Do a few Dallas trips annually and I have to say it's one of the more disappointing markets for Hyatt based on property searches...only GH is at the airport (and nothing higher tier/newer anywhere else), mostly all limited service north of Downtown. Could really use something better up by Addison/Plano/Frisco.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:22 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Do a few Dallas trips annually and I have to say it's one of the more disappointing markets for Hyatt based on property searches...only GH is at the airport (and nothing higher tier/newer anywhere else), mostly all limited service north of Downtown. Could really use something better up by Addison/Plano/Frisco.
HR Stonebriar in Frisco is coming. There is seperate thread somewhere
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
I stay here quite a bit. They tend to upgrade me to the sunrise suite quite a bit when there's availability. It's basically a normal room with a door to a huge living room, dining room, table, lots of windows, and another bathroom. Overall, it's a large convention hotel with an okay location.

There's no club lounge - breakfast is in the restaurant, which is better than a club lounge. Gym is okay but can get crowded. The hotel is a bit remote since you're a few blocks walk to downtown (not that there's much of interest in downtown dallas).

Dallas hotel market is so-so with pros and cons to a lot of places. I prefer the location of the Hyatt House Uptown since it's walking distance to a bunch of restaurants and bars, but it's really old and worn down. Marriott has some decent options with The Stoneleigh (Le Meridien).
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by kyushuman
Am I wrong or are there no posts about this hotel since 2016? Did a search and found DFW GH, North Dallas Hyatt, etc.
If I missed something, please direct me there.
Otherwise, a question-- how is Globalist treatment here? Upgrades, breakfast, club lounge? I think there is no lounge anyway (?)

Globalist partner is heading there this week for 3 night stay for a convention.
I will be joining for 3 more nights' long weekend.

Should we just extend the stay at this hotel? Or switch to somewhere else better? We don't mind moving hotels once.
Could also do an HHonors hotel (Diamond status) or IHG (Platinum).
Thoughts? Thanks!
Stay here regularly. Upgrades are very plentiful. Highly likely to get a nice suite (which you likely won’t get at Hilton or IHG). Impressive older building with giant atrium. Food in restaurant is fine. Good staff. No lounge.

Location isn’t bad for exploring downtown. Easy (free) access to attached observation tower for happy hour.

Avoid the Hyatt Houses near downtown: old and poorly managed. Nicest Hyatt in DFW is Grand Hyatt DFW but this one truly isn’t bad.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 59Impala

HR Stonebriar in Frisco is coming. There is seperate thread somewhere
Can't come soon enough!
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by lighthouse206

Stay here regularly. Upgrades are very plentiful. Highly likely to get a nice suite (which you likely won’t get at Hilton or IHG). Impressive older building with giant atrium. Food in restaurant is fine. Good staff. No lounge.

Location isn’t bad for exploring downtown. Easy (free) access to attached observation tower for happy hour.

Avoid the Hyatt Houses near downtown: old and poorly managed. Nicest Hyatt in DFW is Grand Hyatt DFW but this one truly isn’t bad.
I've stayed at HH Lincoln Park (a bit further from dt than the uptown location) a early last year (or late the year before) and it was very comfortable and clean. Fresh carpet and paint, seemed to feel quite fresh all around actually. The only issue was traffic noise.

Anyways, I was wondering about HR as well. Since GH DFW can't take my cat 1-4s anymore, and Dallas being the easiest market for me to burn them and enjoy a weekend getaway, I am thinking of trying out the HR downtown next time I have cat1-4s to burn. For me, the location is nice since it is a quick drive to the design district which is usually my main reason for getting to Dallas (other than getting my rollercoaster fix at six flags).
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by MarkOK
I've stayed at HH Lincoln Park (a bit further from dt than the uptown location) a early last year (or late the year before) and it was very comfortable and clean. Fresh carpet and paint, seemed to feel quite fresh all around actually. The only issue was traffic noise.

Anyways, I was wondering about HR as well. Since GH DFW can't take my cat 1-4s anymore, and Dallas being the easiest market for me to burn them and enjoy a weekend getaway, I am thinking of trying out the HR downtown next time I have cat1-4s to burn. For me, the location is nice since it is a quick drive to the design district which is usually my main reason for getting to Dallas (other than getting my rollercoaster fix at six flags).
I just stayed at Lincoln Park and really didn’t like it. Staff not well versed on Hyatt policy, broken blinds, mediocre breakfast, etc. Facility is ok, I guess. HR downtown is far superior IMHO.

I think the HP Park Central is also better than HH. The HR North Dallas is newly renovated as well but I find its staff mediocre too and not as good as HR downtown.

Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I had an overall good stay here last weekend. Overall, this is better than the average HR.

1. Was contacted morning of arrival via text and email. I was pro-actively offered a choice of an upgrade to a suite on low floor or room with a view. I opted for a view. Also was able to confirm free valet parking for the award stay, a combination of my back to back reservations (one on points, one on a cat4 award), and a late check-out. This sort of reach out is a huge customer service gesture in my opinion!

2. Check in was done very politely and professionally. Check out was good too, but this is one of the busiest lobbies I have encountered in the Hyatt chain, perhaps it was just my timing.

3. Valet service was mostly good -- they were fast even at busy times. Tiny detail missed was that they weren't the best about opening/closing doors for passengers.

4. Breakfast was in the restaurant. Between my partner and I, we did both buffet and a la carte, all was removed. For some reason, one charge was put on my portfolio as a lunch and I had to have that rectified at checkout. Breakfast quality was good and perfectly satisfactory, but I've had better.

5. Room was pretty nice hardware wise. I liked the lounging chair and the chaise lounge, though the lounging chair was creaky. There was some transfer of noise both from outside and within the hotel. A white noise machine would have been appreciated but I ended up sleeping well.

6. Housekeeping was without issue. They even gave me a note about how my dental kit was provided. I don't know why, but I Hyatt has it in their system that I request a dental kit.

7. Location certainly is okay -- but like mentioned above there isn't exactly a lot happening around there. It is a hot half mile walk to get to the bars/restaurants on Main street.

8. Pool and area was more or less a bust. Small pool, hot deck. It's there, but not really much of an amenity.

Overall, I am more than happy with the stay and will likely return with more Cat4 certificates. Certainly not as nice as GH DFW on a number of accounts, but hardware and service wise, this place is pretty good.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 10:12 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 7/23 to 7/24

Location: The name is correct: this hotel is absolutely in Downtown Dallas. Location wise it's pretty good, it's across the street from Union Station which gives you access to the DART Light Rail, TRE Commuter Rail and Amtrak and a half mile away are two other Light Rail lines which will take you to DAL along with the Dallas Street Car. It's also just north of the I-35E/I-30/I-45 junction so driving around the Metroplex is quite simple. As I didn't have a car and was taking the train and relying on the Light Rail it was perfect.

Hotel: This is a massive convention center type hotel. The good news is that it looks great for a hotel which is old enough to have been featured prominently in the opening credits of Dallas. The bad news is you get the kind of service and deal with the kind of crowds such a hotel attracts. Also their self park is down a hill across a street and walking in the summer must be brutal. They do have valet right now at least. All dining also seems to be open and they have numerous restaurants on the 2nd floor along with a store that sells drinks and snacks.

Check In: I arrived at 12:30 AM along with a bunch of people whose flights were cancelled to find a line of at least 75 people to check in that spilled outside the hotel. Thankfully my additional guest had checked in earlier and I could skip it but that was not a good first sight. He confirmed they offered the late checkout to him.

Check in line

Room: Pretty nice. The huge TV was a nice treat as were the great views of downtown Dallas. Bathroom was a decent size and had a good shower. There was also power near the bed. We did have to call down for extra pillows but I'm sure most people like three.

Overall a good option, just don't try to check in at midnight.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 10:32 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
Overall a good option, just don't try to check in at midnight.
Heading here today after a stay at the Thompson. Fingers crossed I don't run into a check-in line like this! :-)
Old Jul 26, 2021, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I used to work here back in the 1980s. Did you know the original color scheme was blood red? All of the interior corridors around the atrium had red walls. Everything was red and shiny chrome.

They used to have a parking garage attached. Did they turn that into more rooms? There was a remote parking lot across the street to the north.

It's nice to see they've kept the old place up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.