Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Seoul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Seoul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I try to bring a picture postcard of my hotel building. It helped a lot when I was staying at the PH Seoul and the taxi driver started to go over the river to take me to the GH. You can also ask the front desk, lounge, or concierge desk to write down the hotel's name, address, and other directions in the local language.....or you can have the taxi driver telephone the hotel to get the information.
Most taxis know GH because it's been there since 1978. PH is definitely a bigger challenge for some taxi drivers.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Originally Posted by Aventine
Most taxis know GH because it's been there since 1978. PH is definitely a bigger challenge for some taxi drivers.
concur..."Hyatt Hotel" is one of the few english phrases I can say to a taxi driver, and usually get to the GH. I've never stayed at the PH, so no experience there.
even "American Embassy" isn't recognized - in my experience. Once (in the days b4 phone GPS) I tried to show the US flag...no go.
Had to point to the location on a map...no chance I could properly pronounce "Gwanghwamun" and have him understand
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:32 am

Has anyone stayed in a renovated (standard) room recently? Is it legit “fully” renovated with brand new bathrooms? If so, how do they compare with the rooms at PH?
I’m edging towards the PH but the location of GH for sightseeing seems to be much better according to comments on FT. I would opt for GH but I wouldn’t want a room with the old fashioned teal bathrooms I saw on TA..Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: Star Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, EY Silver
Originally Posted by Central90210
Has anyone stayed in a renovated (standard) room recently? Is it legit “fully” renovated with brand new bathrooms? If so, how do they compare with the rooms at PH?
I’m edging towards the PH but the location of GH for sightseeing seems to be much better according to comments on FT. I would opt for GH but I wouldn’t want a room with the old fashioned teal bathrooms I saw on TA..Thanks in advance.
I stayed in a King Mountain View room this past weekend. It is indeed fully renovated, including the bathrooms. Note that the room feels smaller than the 30 sq meters indicated on the website. The bathroom does not have a tub but has a spacious shower stall with a wall/hand-mounted shower head (water pressure was good on the 19th floor).

While the renovation was tastefully done, I was disappointed that there was no magnifying mirror in the bathroom, no evening turndown service and no warning that the renovation work continues even on weekends. So, while service is still 5 star, the hotel hard product is but a solid 4 star experience.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Central90210
PH rooms are bigger for sure. They come with the useless handheld showerhead and poor water pressure but they're much nicer. The only thing GH has going for them is the renovated GC.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by UAuhoh
I stayed in a King Mountain View room this past weekend. It is indeed fully renovated, including the bathrooms. Note that the room feels smaller than the 30 sq meters indicated on the website. The bathroom does not have a tub but has a spacious shower stall with a wall/hand-mounted shower head (water pressure was good on the 19th floor).
Originally Posted by UAuhoh
While the renovation was tastefully done, I was disappointed that there was no magnifying mirror in the bathroom, no evening turndown service and no warning that the renovation work continues even on weekends. So, while service is still 5 star, the hotel hard product is but a solid 4 star experience.
PH rooms are bigger for sure. They come with the useless handheld showerhead and poor water pressure but they're much nicer. The only thing GH has going for them is the renovated GC.
Thanks both! I can’t imagine how much smaller the room can be when 30sqm isn’t even spacious to begin with.. Either way, judging from the photos of the renovated rooms, I actually find them to be quite tasteful, akin to the new rooms at GH Hong Kong (which can easily pass off as a PH). Guess I’ll go for GH based on the location and better redemption value.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Is there an airport limousine bus from GH Seoul to GMP? Or would the subway from Hangangjin station be the best option?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stay notes
The Grand Club is a ZOO during the Korean vacation period. Forget about doing work here during the meal hours because only the window seats have power outlets. I recommend coming at 5:30pm to get your pick of seats for the evening hour.

Kids are allowed at breakfast time. They will do made to order eggs but takes a while due to the sheer amount of people here.

The Grand Suite is a renovated old corner Jr. Suite but with new sliding doors partitioning the living area off. Still only one vanity and a walk-in closet by the door. It still has a new room smell from the renovation that gave me a mild headache. I asked for an air filter to be brought up and ran it all day. Smell dissipated.

The bed is still as firm as I remember. Don't think it's a Hyatt Grand matttress.

Last edited by Aventine; Jul 7, 2019 at 6:28 pm
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:59 am

The Grand Club is a ZOO during the Korean vacation period. Forget about doing work here during the meal hours because only the window seats have power outlets.
Have to there few times the next Q and thinking about booking my stay here. Last time I was there, the GC was fine and I liked the hotel, though the location wasn't the best, if I recall correctly.

Generally speaking, when are the Korean vacation periods? I'd like to avoid those dates and may opt for the PH instead.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Visconti
Have to there few times the next Q and thinking about booking my stay here. Last time I was there, the GC was fine and I liked the hotel, though the location wasn't the best, if I recall correctly.

Generally speaking, when are the Korean vacation periods? I'd like to avoid those dates and may opt for the PH instead.
It's from the beginning of July to the middle of August. No kids allowed after 6pm but they sold enough Club Access to completely fill this place.

They only refill some dishes once and don't do the delicious tarts or cakes.

Last edited by Aventine; Jul 7, 2019 at 4:23 am
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:55 am

It's from the beginning of July to the middle of August. No kids allowed after 6pm but they sold enough Club Access to completely fill this place.

They only refill some dishes once and don't do the delicious tarts or cakes.
Thanks. This is helpful.

This property made a very good first impression on me. While I was only there for several days, during checkout one of the hotel staff accompanied me from the lobby to the outside entrance to await for the KE limo bus, and chatted with me (about 10 or 15 minutes) until it arrived. Can't ever recall experiencing that from any other hotel.
luvFclass likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stupid design

Becareful for stubbed toes on this raised 3/4 inch marble from the bathroom to bedroom. Just painful.

Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not everything will be refilled but all dishes were high quality.

Last edited by Aventine; Jul 8, 2019 at 4:51 am
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AVOID, AVOID, AVOID during the Korean vacation period from start of this week to middle of August. Just more of a zoo than usual. This Globalist got a grand New Grand room for the next few days. I know most hotels need to worry about revenue but a corner room would have been nice.

I'm glad Globalists can skip this line but there's another one waiting at the GC. It's a luggage mess in there.

Last edited by Aventine; Jul 25, 2019 at 2:10 am
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
I'm wondering whether the crowd is mostly people who live in Seoul and want an urban escape? Or people who live outside Seoul and visit the city during holidays?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.