Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Seoul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Seoul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by christof
Have any Globalist received a complimentary suite upgrade at Grand Hyatt Seoul GH Seoul?
YMMV. Some have but I haven't. Corner room usually.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I really wanted to like this property. The lobby is really promising, loved the location, the shuttle to Itaewon was really handy but honestly taxis are so cheap that it didn’t matter.

But room really was a disappoinment. Stayed paying full rate and used a DSU. Was assigned a Grand Suite which really is a Junior Suite. It seems that the sofa and chair are made from particle board covered in burlap. Bathroom is strangely laid out, and gosh it would be handy to have a fan in there since it’s so closed in. View is breathtaking and bed fantastic.

Visited Club for breakfast and it hit the marks, nothing to rave about. Did not visit for drinks.

Would probably pick the Park Hyatt over the Grand Hyatt next time although other reviewers aren’t raving about that property either.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
I really wanted to like this property. The lobby is really promising, loved the location, the shuttle to Itaewon was really handy but honestly taxis are so cheap that it didn’t matter.

But room really was a disappoinment. Stayed paying full rate and used a DSU. Was assigned a Grand Suite which really is a Junior Suite. It seems that the sofa and chair are made from particle board covered in burlap. Bathroom is strangely laid out, and gosh it would be handy to have a fan in there since it’s so closed in. View is breathtaking and bed fantastic.

Visited Club for breakfast and it hit the marks, nothing to rave about. Did not visit for drinks.

Would probably pick the Park Hyatt over the Grand Hyatt next time although other reviewers aren’t raving about that property either.
PH Seoul Cornerstone or room service breakfast is way better. Heated floors in the bathrooms are a nice touch too.

They cheaped out so much on GH Seoul's 5 year renovation. Not even funny. The shower knob is a joke in the regular rooms (filmsy and cheap) and the TVs ancient. They don't even have HD channels!!
Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:53 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
I agree with the opinions on GH Seoul. I found the room very underwhelming although adequate for a four night stay. Beds aren't as bad as others had mentioned in some posts and reviews, and I didn't have problems with the temperature in teh room. The bathroom really needs to be gutted and tub replaced with normal shower. The shower temperature controls were finnicky and a pain to keep from getting scalded. I was extremely impressed by the gym, but didn't make use of the spa or indoor pool.

Breakfast in lounge was adequate, I wish they had more Korean selections like the breakfast at PH Seoul.

Location of GH Seoul is very nice IMO. Once I figured out you could take the second left out of the parking lot and walk down to the craft beer bars I was at home The local bus routes get you where you need to go, although I made the mistake of trying to get a series of cabs late at night on a Wednesday coming back from Hongdae since I couldn't figure out the correct bus route.

Overall if I go back to Seoul I think I'll pick something closer to Namdaemun or Myeongdung with easier access to the subway, but GH was decent. PH room blew it out of the water, but that's another thread.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigshooter
I agree with the opinions on GH Seoul. I found the room very underwhelming although adequate for a four night stay. Beds aren't as bad as others had mentioned in some posts and reviews, and I didn't have problems with the temperature in teh room. The bathroom really needs to be gutted and tub replaced with normal shower. The shower temperature controls were finnicky and a pain to keep from getting scalded. I was extremely impressed by the gym, but didn't make use of the spa or indoor pool.
It's liveable but you can find a lot more modern options out there for the same money. The room temperature panel is a piece of garbage too. I've had many nights with an electric radiator going in my room and that simply should not occur. I've had the shower knob fall off on one stay and had to abandon the shower and room. They moved me but it was pretty damn embarrassing that I had to beg them to move rooms.

They also charge 20000 won for outdoor parking per night!
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:59 am

The room is also really quite tight (and unable to accommodate a rollaway bed), unless you've been upgraded into one of the corner rooms.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:23 am

After reading thru some of the recent comments I'm starting to question if I should keep the reservation I made at this hotel for 2 days in late March. I plan to use points and since there's only 2 Hyatt options in Seoul I initially picked this hotel since it seems to be so close to the Itaewon neighborhood which we wanted to be close to for exploring bars, etc. It doesn't appear that there's much around the immediate area of this hotel and from what I can see it would require 10-15 minute walk to a subway line. Would you guys recommend the Park Hyatt instead of this location? How hard is it to get from the side of the river the PH is on to the side the Grand Hyatt is? It currently appears that most of the activities we plan to do in the 2 days we are in Seoul are in the Grand Hyatt side of Seoul. Sorry if my question sounds dumb but this will be my first time in Seoul and want to make sure I pick a nice location to use my points at but also not be too far away from transportation, etc.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by FTNNBP
After reading thru some of the recent comments I'm starting to question if I should keep the reservation I made at this hotel for 2 days in late March. I plan to use points and since there's only 2 Hyatt options in Seoul I initially picked this hotel since it seems to be so close to the Itaewon neighborhood which we wanted to be close to for exploring bars, etc. It doesn't appear that there's much around the immediate area of this hotel and from what I can see it would require 10-15 minute walk to a subway line. Would you guys recommend the Park Hyatt instead of this location? How hard is it to get from the side of the river the PH is on to the side the Grand Hyatt is? It currently appears that most of the activities we plan to do in the 2 days we are in Seoul are in the Grand Hyatt side of Seoul. Sorry if my question sounds dumb but this will be my first time in Seoul and want to make sure I pick a nice location to use my points at but also not be too far away from transportation, etc.
I prefer the PH over the GH in Seoul, and the location is one of the reasons I prefer the PH.
The PH is right next to a metro station that connects to pretty much everywhere in Seoul while the GH is kind of isolated up on a mountain.

IMHO, the PH is much better location-wise for tourists who prefer to use public transportation.
Even though the PH is located south of the Han River, it's a short metro ride to the north side of the river, and the metro station is a one minute w alk from the hotel entrance.

These days I don't stay at Hyatts in Seoul anymore, but if I were to choose one, I'd choose the PH hands down every time.
Not only I like the location better, the rooms are also much better, and it's also less crowded.
The GH was seriously packed every time I was there.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
If given a choice, I would pick the PH Seoul all day long if I had to choose. The hills and scenery of breathtaking at the GH, but the quality is so much nicer at the PH in my experiences. As previous poster mentions, the subway entrance #1 is literally right below the Cornerstone Grill where breakfast is served. I prefer the area where the PH is located rather the the GH. But with the subway, you are literally 30 minutes away from all the cool areas within Seoul, including Myeongdong, Namdaemun, Dongdaemum, Hongdae etc... Finally, both hotels have the convenience of KOR limo <>ICN that drops you off literally at either hotel's doorsteps.

I am at the GH for the Olympics in a month, the PH currently is not offering C&P redemptions, and the corp rate is too high to justify the stay at PH.

Enjoy!

Last edited by luvFclass; Jan 23, 2018 at 3:46 pm
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only plus I could give you for GH during that time is the cherry blossoms on the property and Namsan Park. The walk to the subway is downhill and not so straight forward either. It's uphill all the way back.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:59 am

Thanks agjil, luvFclass, and Aventine for the great information.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Renovations are being done on floors 15-18 until March. The noise is audible so if you work in your room during the day then I'd suggest the Grand Club. I bet they're doing the floors and fixtures like the already done up Grand Executive suites.

Last edited by Aventine; Jan 24, 2018 at 1:46 am
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Wow, really surprised they are doing that over the Olympics...haven't been there since '15 (but stayed there more than 50 times lifetime)

I do want to try the PH, probably is my work is on the old town side (Yongsan & City Hall area) - not in Gangnam
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rwm818
Wow, really surprised they are doing that over the Olympics...haven't been there since '15 (but stayed there more than 50 times lifetime)

I do want to try the PH, probably is my work is on the old town side (Yongsan & City Hall area) - not in Gangnam
Very puzzling for sure.
I think most of the IOC members are at IC Pyeongchang and/or FS Seoul.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:40 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Has someone tried the renovated rooms yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.