Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Seoul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Seoul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I think with where the pool is situated to the south east of the building (opposite side from main entry), they may have had some issues with use by non guests as well as towel theft.

As for Tattoo's, that is a common requisite for the region.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cdmca
I was just browsing the website for this property and saw a link for "An Important Announcement" on the welcome page. It's their "Important Summer Operation Policy". All of it is quite authoritarian.

How busy does their pool get that you have to get a pool coupon at check in (1 per person, no replacements!), and exchange it for a wristband, which you must wear UNTIL CHECK OUT in order to use the pool? Also, one towel per person (towel shortage?) AND people with tattoos can't use the pool?

Is this a luxury hotel or a 3 star all-inclusive in MX?
It's because management gives sold way too many Club packages to wealthy families then combine that with staycation guests, foreign guests and even their biggest outdoor pool in Korea can't handle them all. You've got all the 8am towel savers, room guests bringing in friends and fam, etc and it becomes a recipe for pool disaster. I just go to a SE Asian country and enjoy pool villa and a beach. Gave up on this hotel pool when they introduced the draconian bracelet system 4 years ago. Many hotels in Korea have to do this because of the sheer numbers they get.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:15 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The latter is pretty common in Asia, the rest is to fight overcrowding..... what's the problem if you are a registered guest?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by RTW1
The latter is pretty common in Asia, the rest is to fight overcrowding..... what's the problem if you are a registered guest?
The problem is that the pool looks like this as local residents have membership at the Olympus Club and pretty much have run of the place all summer. Really unpleasant.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
The problem is that the pool looks like this as local residents have membership at the Olympus Club and pretty much have run of the place all summer. Really unpleasant.
They get a lot of DYKWIA during these days. I pity those poor pool attendants who have to enforce the rules (but probably don't).

I think what really got me was they made staying guests pay for parking. No other major luxury Seoul hotel does that.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
It is hard to blame the hotel, since they most likely get a lot more revenue from local residents who stay many weekends year round than business travellers spending infrequent one-night layovers.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

We were discussing means to combat even more overcrowding, which seems to me like a good thing..... but it's rather simple, if you know in advance and don't like it... stay somewhere else.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:04 am

In my experience, the overwhelming proportion of the crowd is not Club Olympus members, but rather the local families who come to stay specifically for the pool (which surely makes up for over 80% of the full occupancy during the summer weekends). I'm sure Club Olympus members are just as dismayed about the crowding as the non-staycation hotel guests!

Not my favourite Hyatt to begin with (tiny and dated standard rooms, even tinier bathrooms with shower over bathtub, and very few upgrades), but it's definitely on the avoid list during the summer high season if you're not there on a staycation yourself.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by RTW1
We were discussing means to combat even more overcrowding, which seems to me like a good thing..... but it's rather simple, if you know in advance and don't like it... stay somewhere else.
It's very nice in the shoulder seasons, when the outdoor pool is still open but nobody uses it! And I do like the Olympus Club spa area overall.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's very nice in the shoulder seasons, when the outdoor pool is still open but nobody uses it! And I do like the Olympus Club spa area overall.
what do you think of 322Sowol-ro, the restaurant redo?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:18 am

I just don't understand what is so special about the pool at this hotel that attracts gazillions of guests.
I stayed at this property not too long ago and didn't think the pool was any different from other hotel pools.
I should add that this hotel was pretty underwhelming and I won't stay here again next time I'm in Seoul.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by agjil
I just don't understand what is so special about the pool at this hotel that attracts gazillions of guests.
I stayed at this property not too long ago and didn't think the pool was any different from other hotel pools.
I should add that this hotel was pretty underwhelming and I won't stay here again next time I'm in Seoul.
I don't care for it but tons of Koreans love that it's an outdoor pool - a rarity in space limited Seoul.
It's also included in room stays, cheaper and bigger than the Urban Island pool at the Shilla hotel.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aventine
what do you think of 322Sowol-ro, the restaurant redo?
Don't know, never eaten there. What happened to the Paris Grill? Man, was that place overpriced, but always went when somebody else was paying.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't know, never eaten there. What happened to the Paris Grill? Man, was that place overpriced, but always went when somebody else was paying.
Paris Grill became the new Grand Club. Yeah, it was overpriced but they actually made great quality dishes. The bread was sooo good.

https://seoul.grand.hyatt.com/en/hot...rand_club.html
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:16 pm

Have any Globalist received a complimentary suite upgrade at Grand Hyatt Seoul GH Seoul?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.