Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Westlake Village, CA REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Westlake Village, CA REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2003, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I agree with the above comments. It has a brown/tan color scheme and is poorly lit, leaving the impression of being dreary, small, and old.

I had been staying in the Marriotts/Renns in the area which are much nicer for me. I have one more stay next week to hit my 4 on the Diamond promotion. I'll try it once again after that to see if elites are treated any better.

On the other hand, a co-worker of mine has stayed there for the last 2 years and prefers it to the others in the area.
Old Oct 5, 2003, 2:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I live/work in the area. Business, the Westlake Village Inn is the best in the area (no affilations to the chains). For family, I sometimes put them up there as I've gotten great AAA rates at times $69.

I assume you need to be in the area. Otherwise, stay on the westside of LA if you intend to go into the city.

[This message has been edited by beachfan (edited 10-05-2003).]
Old Jun 15, 2004, 1:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
NO updates, but I can tell you the best restaurant in the area is Leila's, about 2 miles away, moderate priced, you'll be happy (i'm very picky).
Old Jun 15, 2004, 2:33 am
Patron

Hotel is located in Thousand Oaks between downtown Los Angeles and Santa Barbara on the 101 Ventura Freeway east of Malibu Beach. The further away your room is from US 101 Ventura Freeway that more quiet it is.

Old Jun 15, 2004, 7:53 am

I just finished up a six-wwek stay at this property. It still smells musty. The restaurant is dark and not particularly pleasant; restaurant staff is not pleasant. My room keys NEVER worked. The Regency Club was fine; staff there was generally good/pleasant. The gym was functional, if small and claustrophobia-inducing. The setting is very nice.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 8:20 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Thanks for the tip

Thanks for the updates. Is the hotel pretty good about upgrades to the RC floor?

Originally Posted by beachfan
the best restaurant in the area is Leila's, about 2 miles away, moderate priced, you'll be happy (i'm very picky).
Thanks for the recommendation. Do they serve breakfast too?
Old Nov 22, 2005, 9:19 am

Westlake Village - Remodel - RC Closed

Staff swears that it's posted to the hotel website, but I didn't spot it during a quick perusal. In any event, the hotel is undergoing a major renovation (their characterization). The Regency Club is closed. There was no water last night (announced when I checked in). Another guest said that he'd heard the Regency Club would re-open sometime in December, though that seems hard-to-believe, based on the fact that the remodel just started. (I was just there a week ago, and there was no mention of remodel.)
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:33 am

Programs: Various
If I remember correctly, several Hyatt locations w/Regency Club close down during the holiday for remodel or "deep cleaning" I know for sure it happened at HR Aventine (aka La Jolla) during the last 2-3 weeks of December.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 1:10 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
The Hyatt Westlake Village is truly the Hyatt where "time passed it by." RC will likely be closed until February. No new HY beds until at least that time. Renovations are ongoing throughout the hotel 1-2 floors at a time. In a stay this past weekend, our "non-smoking" 3rd floor King and its entire non-smoking wing smelled strongly of smoke, there was no T-Mobile but some other company, and fitness center is miniscule. This property was a major disappointment and reminded me of why I'm not going for Diamond.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 8:41 am
Suspended

The RC is still closed , but after having a quick look through the entrance , the slow holiday season seems to be a major factor for it since the 5th floor seems to be completely renovated.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 9:15 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
The Hyatt Westlake Village is truly the Hyatt where "time passed it by." RC will likely be closed until February. No new HY beds until at least that time. Renovations are ongoing throughout the hotel 1-2 floors at a time. In a stay this past weekend, our "non-smoking" 3rd floor King and its entire non-smoking wing smelled strongly of smoke, there was no T-Mobile but some other company, and fitness center is miniscule. This property was a major disappointment and reminded me of why I'm not going for Diamond.
Happy New Year all
While Hyatt has a property here or there that could use some renovations so does every other chain out there.
Can you name me one that doesn't ?

And if a few Hyatts here or there don't measure up I still find many great properties to choose from.
The best thing about the Hyatt Westlake is that it is has an excellent General Manager who used to manage one of the Park Hyatts.
And that usually means a mighty good team on board.
Dining there also was quite good on my last visit.......
If the health club is inadequate I hope that will be adressed too down the road.I have noticed some great improvements with Hyatt fitness centers as of late....Many have added the new Life Fitness brand of equiptment to their facilities

Sorry to hear that Hyatt Diamond may not be working for you.
I can say that absolutely no program topped the generosity of Hyatt Gold Passport in 2005
Especially with "Faster Free Nights".
Have my fingers crossed for another great year with Hyatt.
If you come across a better more rewarding program that you switch too please clue me in.
I am involved in most the majors and I have certainly been considering some changes with my programs that I might consider cutting back on or eliminating
Unless something drastic happens to Hyatt GP in 06 it looks like that would be the the last program to go!

Here is to Hyatt Gold Passport in 2006 ^
And another hopeful return of the Freddie Award winning "Faster Free Nights" in the New Year

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jan 2, 2006 at 12:55 pm
Old Jan 11, 2006, 9:12 am

Background: I’m a Hyatt Diamond and a 50-day a year guest at this hotel.

Checked in last night. No mention of ongoing renovations, but there was a flyer at the front desk indicating that water would be out from (I believe) midnight to 4:00AM…if an arriving guest happened to notice the flyer.

It’s presently 8:00AM and we’re dry. And upset. Hotel staff doesn’t answer the phone (operator has mysteriously lost my call transfers to the front desk three times now), but when cornered in the hallway staff indicates that water won’t be on again until “maybe this afternoon”.

Regency Club opened mysteriously last night – first time I’ve seen since November - but was closed again this morning.

My room is dreadful. I understand that some have been renovated, but not this one. It’s like a bunker, with just a single, narrow window at or above eye level. It overlooks some busy thoroughfare – I didn’t climb up on the bed to determine which one.

Ugh. Beware.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:24 am
Suspended

365 Road Warrior,

Sorry to read about your problems. I always liked the property, the rooms were vintage 1980`s, but they always had their RC open, even on weekends shortly after 9/11 and the war in Iraq, when every hotel closed their RC, because it was soooo slow. Easy on/off 101 was also a plus...

So I had breakfast for the first time in the restaurant downstairs, where the buffet displayed is a little weak, later I learned you had to order everything from the server, not only juice and coffee ( like it is normally the case ) but also cream cheese and all the other staff...

Both servers were busy, one was also seating the guests, so the bagel was a little dry without the cheese

I. from Belgrad, Serbia checked me in and could not care less. I actually questioned myself , if he did not like me , cause the Germans were more Pro Croatia in the war, cause I really asked myself why he performed so subpar...

When I was there two weeks ago, the RC was definitely completely renovated and looked nice, but was closed

Big question is how a hotel should behave, if they expect that they will have no water for a certain time period.

Selling rooms and expecting to discount them by 50 % , because of the water would be smart business wise, not selling them at all for the night would be fair, what did they offer you ?
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Threy
365 Road Warrior,

Sorry to read about your problems. I always liked the property, the rooms were vintage 1980`s, but they always had their RC open, even on weekends shortly after 9/11 and the war in Iraq, when every hotel closed their RC, because it was soooo slow. Easy on/off 101 was also a plus...

When I was there two weeks ago, the RC was definitely completely renovated and looked nice, but was closed

Big question is how a hotel should behave, if they expect that they will have no water for a certain time period.

Selling rooms and expecting to discount them by 50 % , because of the water would be smart business wise, not selling them at all for the night would be fair, what did they offer you ?
I've been a regular here for a few years. I too like the hotel, generally. Recent problems have been trying.

In the Regency Club last night, I really didn't notice any differences. Perhaps the flooring or something I wasn't paying attention to. But same tables, food, staff, (non-functional) computer, (non-functional) coffee machine...

They certainly haven't offered me anything. A reduction in room rate doesn't do me any good, since my employer's paying.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 6:19 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Background: I’m a Hyatt Diamond and a 50-day a year guest at this hotel.

Checked in last night. No mention of ongoing renovations, but there was a flyer at the front desk indicating that water would be out from (I believe) midnight to 4:00AM…if an arriving guest happened to notice the flyer.

It’s presently 8:00AM and we’re dry. And upset. Hotel staff doesn’t answer the phone (operator has mysteriously lost my call transfers to the front desk three times now), but when cornered in the hallway staff indicates that water won’t be on again until “maybe this afternoon”.

Regency Club opened mysteriously last night – first time I’ve seen since November - but was closed again this morning.

My room is dreadful. I understand that some have been renovated, but not this one. It’s like a bunker, with just a single, narrow window at or above eye level. It overlooks some busy thoroughfare – I didn’t climb up on the bed to determine which one.

Ugh. Beware.
Sorry to hear that.
While I certainly can't say what the overall experience is at the property at present it sure sounds like there is some transition going on during what was an obvious and well needed renovation.
My suggestion contact the GM and or his executive assistant in house.
Drop a line or email the property and let them know what isn't working and for that matter what is.They have a great team on board as do most Hyatt's
I can assure you that they do care and value your feedback.
It sounds like it's just a matter of time before the property is in a good position to perform with the full "Hyatt Touch"

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jan 11, 2006 at 6:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.