Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Downtown Miami Hyatt Regency REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downtown Miami Hyatt Regency REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
FYI: There is no light rail or metro rail that goes to South Beach you have to take a cab or the bus.
Thank you for the correction. That will teach me to work from memory.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
deleted

Last edited by Crazyhotelguy; May 21, 2014 at 8:04 pm
Old May 2, 2014, 5:24 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I should have gone with the advice of those who said to stay away!!! Service wise, this
was my worst Hyatt stay. With the front entry barricaded off and valet coded full at 9PM, we were directed via sign to the self-parking garage. I do not mind the self-park option, but was not a fan of schlepping our bags and our two older travel companions up and down stairs througha maze to the hotel. Had we not been packed for a 15 day cruise, I would have felt differently...

The service issues were with front line staff at the bell stand and front desk. The GSR whom checked me in basically ignored all requests and then made a point to give mr a sort of "did you say something to me " attitude. I tried asking a bellman for assistance from the garage, but was told he had never done such and would have to ask permission to do so.... REALLY? where is the hospitality/service attitude? Iwas told I could pay to exit the garage and return yo the front, which was again open, but paying multiple times to park was just not very acceptable to me.

The Regency Club is pathetic. There are tables and chairs for the non-closed off club in the elevator lobby.

We used a suite upgrade and received a Miami suite, more of a JR suite (1 room). Our second room seemed a bit nicer in decor and was a suite connector.

Rooms were ok, nothing special. We faced the river with a nice view, but for those who are easily disturbed-soundproofing was not purchased for this building. We like a little roar, so the cars crossing the bridge put us right to sleep.

I will avoid this hotel in the future. I booked it for convenience to the cruise port. There seem to be much better options in the same area.

EDIT/UPDATE: The day staff here is completely opposite of the night shift. The front desk was wonderful this morning , as well as Melina the Guest Service Manager. My concerns were heard and an apology was given. I was assured that changes would be made to signage to ensure hotel guests would be accommodated, even when events were taking place. I mostly wanted to make management aware of the poor guest service and only asked if we could have breakfast in the restaurant vs.the club. I was quickly granted that. While at breakfast, we were greeted by the GSM and rooms director, whom without prompting, comped our stay, returning the points and cash from the C&P stay. This was way above expectation and makes me feel as if they are trying to resolve /correct issues. This is the service I have come to expect from Hyatt.

Last edited by Crazyhotelguy; May 2, 2014 at 5:35 pm
Old May 2, 2014, 12:57 pm

just a little image of the Regency Club.
Old May 2, 2014, 2:34 pm
Used to be " vincentppetty "

Programs: DL Platinum/1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium; Loews Platinum; GHA/Omni Platinum; Hilton Gold
Smile Great Service!

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
EDIT/UPDATE: The day staff here is completely opposite of the night shift. The ftont desk was wonderful this morning , as well as Melina the Guest Service Manager. My concerns were heard and an apology was given. I was assured that changes would be made to signage to ensure hotel guests would be accommodated, even when events were taking place. I mpstly wanted to make management aware of the poor guest service and only asked if we could have breakfast in the restaurant vs.the club. I was quicklu granted that. While at breakfast, we were greeted by the GSM and rooms director, whom without prompting, comped our stay, returning the points and cash from the C&P stay. This was way above expectation and makes me feel as if they are trying to resolve /correct issues. This is the service I have come to expect from Hyatt.
This sounds MUCH More like my experience at this property. I stay here usually 2x per year while teaching at the Police Academy and I have never had a bad experience. The Mgmt at this property has always been AMAZING - so very glad that they were able to correct your issues.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:22 pm

recent stay

just completed a 3-day stay at this property. I read a lot of this thread, and thought I'd offer a few updates.

during my stay, there was a large convention going on as well as another simultaneous in-house conference, so this property was very busy during this time.

I was assisted on check-in by Ted, one of the assistant FD managers. he was cheery and very hospitable. as diamond, I was given a complimentary upgrade to a corner Miami suite. he tried very hard to hook me up with a VIP suite, but because of high occupancy, none were available. because a large in-house group had booked all the Rregency Club floors, I was offered full-breakfasts for (2) each morning in the hotel restaurant, which definitely had better and a wider variety of offerings (I snuck a peek at the Regency Club). I was also given vouchers for (2) drinks each day of my stay.

The corner Miami suite (xx41) was OK. It was, as described in earlier posts, about the size of a Jr. suite. as others have also posted, the rooms really need some updating. however, in all fairness, it was comfortable.

but, where this property really stood out was in its customer service. everyone was friendly and seemed to go out of their way to create a pleasant stay. restaurant managers were very accommodating to comply with any dietary restrictions. when there was a minor issue with my folio, another FD staff happily corrected the mistake and surprised me with a decent and unexpected folio credit for the trouble. concierge was helpful with anything I asked of them.

after checking out, I received an email from another FD manager following up with me about another minor issue I had and my experience overall. I obliged and offered genuine constructive feedback, which was well received and appreciated. I was pleasantly surprised at their offer to comp me a future 1 night stay!

so, yes, the rooms are a bit dated. but attentive guest attention made up for it with me.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:57 am
Used to be hamajicky

I echo Cabrits's post. Just stayed there, got a Miami suite. Slept ok, room was clean. However, the whole hotel is in need of a major redo. But for $104/night, I should not complain.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
FYI: I had a really bad incident at this hotel a few months ago and will never go back.
I had awoke to food poisoning and went down to the front desk asking for help... "please get a taxi for me to go to the ER."

I stood there for 10 - 15 minutes with no help, finally lead out from the front desk to a taxi. The taxi driver refused to take me, so I was left in front of the hotel trying to find a way to the ER, no hotel staff was there to help.

The front desk never called a manger to help me, nor did they make sure I was safely on my way. I don't know if any of you have experienced severe food poisoning, you are weak and incompetent, I could barely walk. At the hospital I was quickly admitted. I spoke to management, we kept playing phone tag and they never followed up.

This is a horrible hotel, I would never go back if my life depended on it.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
FYI: I had a really bad incident at this hotel a few months ago and will never go back.
I had awoke to food poisoning and went down to the front desk asking for help... "please get a taxi for me to go to the ER."

I stood there for 10 - 15 minutes with no help, finally lead out from the front desk to a taxi. The taxi driver refused to take me, so I was left in front of the hotel trying to find a way to the ER, no hotel staff was there to help.

The front desk never called a manger to help me, nor did they make sure I was safely on my way. I don't know if any of you have experienced severe food poisoning, you are weak and incompetent, I could barely walk. At the hospital I was quickly admitted. I spoke to management, we kept playing phone tag and they never followed up.

This is a horrible hotel, I would never go back if my life depended on it.
Terrible .
Any reason you did not just call an ambulance?
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
If you have ever had the experience of severe food poising you are impaired, not able to make rational judgment' I went to the desk for help.

It's a typical human action to help someone in need, the hotel, it's staff failed to do so.

Having worked in hotels I know what they should have done... that is why I went to the desk...they stood there not knowing what to do!!! I told them I needed to go to the ER ASAP.

I could hardly walk and they left me there jumping from cab to cab.

They should have called a manager and if needed an ambulance. This is what I was trained to do working at Marriott and Hilton.

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Terrible .
Any reason you did not just call an ambulance?

Last edited by Radiant Flyer; Aug 16, 2014 at 8:51 pm
Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:27 pm

I was unimpressed with the Hyatt Regency Miami. (pictures on my blog here)

I walked in, and went to the check in desk. The attendant gave me a room key, let me know about the regency club, and sent me on my way. I went up the elevator, and...the key didn't work. Both keys didn't work. Instead of dragging all my luggage back down to the lobby, I decided to use the security phone on the floor and ask them to open my room.

After waiting a couple minutes, a security guy came up. He asked if we had the grey or blue key cards. I said we had the grey ones and he said that the grey key cards tend to not work. He showed me that you had to hold the magnetic stripe on the card and push down real hard for the key to work. Took him a couple times before even he could open the door. I wasn't very happy about the key card not working, so the security guard suggested that we go to the lobby and ask for the blue key card.

I opened the door, and looks like they put me in a suite! I had no idea since I was only staying one night, I didn't really expect to be upgraded, nor had the check in guy mentioned anything.

There's no water in the room that's free, so I went to the Regency Club to grab a couple water bottles. Since the key card is so hard to use, I was stuck in the elevator for about 5 minutes trying to get the elevator to recognize the key card so that I could use the club. It was a little terrifying since I would get in the elevator, put the key card in, press the regency club floor button, and then have the elevator door just close as I'm trying to get the damn key to work.

I went back down to the lobby and asked for the blue key card as the security guy recommended. The front desk attendant was confused but did it anyway. Hoping for better luck, I tried the elevator again to get some breakfast at the Regency Club, but once again I was stuck in the elevator for about 5 minutes before the light turned red rather than green. Then I realized that when switching the cards, the attendant didn't code the card to have club access! So I went back to the front desk and they coded it, no problem. I was still ready to believe that the card would work after this third attempt. And still, stick in the elevator another 5 minutes before it would even recognize the card. So I've concluded that neither key cards really work.

I was very surprised to find in my email a note from a front desk "manager" apologizing for the whole key card experience, which was nice but I hope they just fix those key cards.

I wouldn't really recommend staying here, but this is the only hotel I've ever stayed at in Miami so I wouldn't be able to tell you if all the hotels around here are like this or if there's somewhere better to stay.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Are there any inexpensive garages near the hotel? I assume street parking is not possible here.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:45 am

Depends on when you go. But daily parking in the garage during weekends is $9. (Or was when I stayed a couple months ago)
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:38 pm

Stayed here for 3 nights last week over the weekend. First advise don't waste your DU on this property. Club rooms on 23rd are better than Miami suites on 12th floor.
Breakfast was very limited and basic. Small club floor area. Rooms are old and tiring. Service was OK. Overall Nothing fancy or to write great stuff abt.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Good experience in July 2016

I just stayed here and wanted to chime in to say that I had a positive experience. The property is very well located, on the riverwalk with easy walks to Brickell and to Bayside. The area around the hotel is undergoing lots of development (new Whole Foods across the street). The riverwalk is beautiful especially towards Bayside. There are fantastic Brazilian and Peruvian restaurants just a few blocks away, so you aren't stuck eating overpriced hotel or tourist food.

As a Diamond I was upgraded to a Miami Suite. It was un-renovated but very clean and was fine. Will be curious to see what these rooms look like when the renovation is complete (a renovation is ongoing). The rate was very reasonable when I stayed ($116).

What could really use a renovation is the lobby, but even though it is pretty 80s it is comfortable and spacious. Lobby bar staff is very friendly and competent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.