Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Newport Beach, CA ("Newporter") REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Diamond Benefits:
  • No Regency Club; breakfast entrees on the menu at SHOR
  • Last reported as one entree + one beverage per person, up to 4
  • Does not include room service
  • Amenities (choice of one, as of 3/19/2015)
    • 1,000 points
    • ?

In general:
  • Parking
    • Valet: $47/night
    • Self: $40/night
    • Parking rates above do not include Jazz series events
    • Street: none nearby
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2001, 8:57 am
Original Poster

One coupon for suite upgrade at the Newporter for trade. Valid till July 2002 (one year from now). Make offer.
Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2001, 9:44 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Spent a weekend here during June. Do not accept a room in the main building. Rooms in other buildings seem to be slightly more acceptable. I would never, ever stay here again. And I believe in "never saying never."

[This message has been edited by hedoman (edited 07-23-2001).]
Old Jul 22, 2001, 9:23 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I generally like Hyatts very much, and I can count the real dissapointments on just one hand! It's been a few years now, but I recall very well that this was not my favorite by any means, and there are so many other truly fine properties nearby!
Old Jul 23, 2001, 10:09 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

This property was pretty disappointing a couple of years ago - so unless they've done a major renovation, the room is more like a Holiday Inn standard - grounds and area are pretty nice though.
Old Jul 27, 2001, 10:08 am
Original Poster

I have a gift certificate for Hyatt Newporter on Jamboree Road for "upgrade to a suite (room and tax only)" valid until July, 2002. if you are interested let me know what you can trade/pay for - just make an offer.

I stayed the Hyatt Newporter on 1107 Jamboree Road, Newport Beach CA just a month ago. It has a great restaurant and I was pleased with the attitude of front desk and the managerial staff. I was a Hyatt Gold Passport member and I got a complementary Golf tickets for two at their facility - I gave them to a couple of my colleagues who said it was great. (it is only a 9 hole facility as I understand).

You will also get a choice of fruits/wine boquet delivered to your room if you are a passport member.

Overall, with the service I think it was an above average facility.

Old Sep 12, 2002, 1:47 pm

Location is good, right near Fashion Island and Newport. Hotel has an older look to it, but if you can get one of the refurbished rooms, they are quite nice.
Old Sep 12, 2002, 6:03 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
It is quite tired, but OK. Avoid the rooms that are far away from the main building.

I think they live off of the Jazz festival a bit too much.
Old Sep 16, 2002, 9:42 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Aim for a room in the building nearest tennis courts. Motel 6 could beat out rooms in the main building. Repeat....do not take a room in the building where you check-in. Oh, and parking is only $12 or so per day.
Old Sep 16, 2002, 10:16 pm

Ugh. I have been lurking for a while now. This subject prompted me to make my presence known. I stayed at this hotel June. Inquired about updgrade, and was told the smelly, tired room I was given was an upgrade. No amenties, nor the breakfast coupons that were promised at the time of reservation. Left after 1 night, spent the rest of the stay in another hotel Sorry, but I would consider booking your group somewhere else.

Old Feb 12, 2003, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA, DL, HH, NW, UA, SPG
Ok, I see a little bit of disagreement as to which building is best: is it next to tennis courts, main building, check-in building. Where are the refurbished rooms. How are they best obtained. Is there better less expensive parking?
Old Feb 12, 2003, 5:24 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
My room last summer was quite nice. I was in the 2 story building near the pool.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 8:02 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by slow:
Ok, I see a little bit of disagreement as to which building is best: is it next to tennis courts, main building, check-in building. Where are the refurbished rooms. How are they best obtained. Is there better less expensive parking?</font>
There's about 3 different pools.

I was staying with a large group, so I was able to see about 5 different rooms in 4 different buildings. The rooms in the same building as the front desk were the worst. If you were to enter the lobby from the main entrance and exit directly through the rear of the lobby, you'd be headed downhill, towards the bay. These rooms are not the best either. If you were to leave the lobby through the front door: the building up ahead on the left (nearest the driveway) this is were I stayed. The rooms overlooking the pool on the 2nd floor were O.K. The rooms on the lower floor smelled funny. If you were to leave the lobby through the main door, and walk to the left (north-east I believe) BETWEEN the last building I described and the main building (with the lobby) you would come to another building at the far Eastern part of the property. I was inside of two rooms in that building, on the bay (North) side, near another pool that were the nicest rooms. They had the newest furniture also.

Old Feb 15, 2003, 7:38 pm

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
An aternative, is the Irvine HyattRegency, its ten minute drive north of the NewportHyatt on the same road, and on weekends its US$79+, with newer rooms, and 24 hr supermarket a short walk away, and free shuttle to JohnWayne Airport and few other local places.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 6:46 pm

Hyatt Newporter is spotty at best. I was there Sunday night on a $27 Priceline rate and it wasn't pretty (OK, yes, I know, I only paid $27). It's my understanding that they have no Regency Club options. The in-room guide excitedly promotes that the hotel was "totally renovated in 1982". Hmm, gee, that was 21 years ago -- about the average age of the Front Desk staff. The Newporter is a "suburban" type motel, in great need of a major "refreshing".

The Hyatt Irvine (2 miles away) trounces this location in just about every way. Although you do sometimes have to pay a bit more -- my Saturday night room was $28.

See more details in the CA hotel review section at biddingfortravel.com. Here is my most recent "review":
-------------------
If you love wicker chairs circa 1979 and mismatched furniture, then the Hyatt Newporter cannot be missed !

Oh, and the lovely views, too. A nice 20 foot hedge right outside the balcony. It's so green and thick ! Really does a nice job of blocking all the bright sunshine !

Ah, and the cool CA distant ocean breezes are so wonderful when mixed wth the pungent ammonia-like odor the whole cleaning staff seem to be using even at 645PM. Ahhhh. Of course the hallway corridors carry the unmistakeable remnants of the huge buffet the hold right in the lobby. Ah, day-old waffles and toast --- or perhaps those are from the still-uncollected room service trays littering the passageway. Hard to tell.

Prior to checkin, I had called to add my Gold Passport number and request a King Nonsmoking room. Upon arrival, I requested the Lido Building (reportedly the newest). Before I could catch a breath, the snippy clerk blurted out "that will be an additonal $30 for the upgrade". I got a tad nasty (oops) and stated that it really didn't seem fair to have to upgrade to a room that had been renovated and had modern furniture. She replied back that the rooms were not all that improved, that the $30 was "basically for the high speed internet service".

I had a complimentary upgrade certificate from Gold Passport and asked if that would cover the $30 upgrade charge. She said that it would, but that they didnt have any nonsmoking rooms in the Lido Building.

At this point, I just decided to forget using the upgrade certificate, especially since this location has no other Regency Club perks. I took back the upgrade and was given a non-smoking king in the main building.

There hasn't been much, if any, renovaton/change since I stayed here last fall. The hotel corridors are Ramada-esque circa 1975. The room, while clean, and not with stained carpets as in my previous stay, is a mish-mash of furniture. For some odd reason, I have a FAX machine in the room. Since it filled up half the work desk, I moved it to the floor. There are several cords all in a tangled mess. The wicker chairs look just like the ones that Jack/Chrissy/Janet used on Three's Company.

The hotel is deserted. The parking lot nearly empty. Several buildings appear as if they haven't been used in weeks.

I wouldn't stay here again. Ooops, unless I need another cheapie night to earn some Hyatt promo points.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Location, location, location! I think it is a lovely hotel with dated rooms - definitely get a re-furb'd rrom. The grounds are pretty & very romantic at night, I like the bar, you can walk to Fashion Island or Balboa Island (a real island in contrast to Fashion Island!), to the Art Mueum (currently excellent Picasso to Pollack exhibition), walk the nature preserve of the Back Bay, go to the Ritz in FI or drinks and/or dinner - it's really not all that bad. Would much prefer to stay here than the nasty Marriott & definitely better than staying in Irvine!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.