Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Hotel Canberra - A Park Hyatt Hotel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: m0hamed
The "Ambassador Lounge" is permanently closed
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Hotel Canberra - A Park Hyatt Hotel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:46 am

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by astonmartinv8
So is one of these true?

Either I should get the Club Deluxe King room as a Diamond (their best available "room") without needing to use the suite upgrade or;
I guess we all work differently, but I always book and pay for the base rooms, and Hyatt ups us to the Club, so in your instant ,book the Park King and obtain the Club King.

Should you wish to use a suite upgrade you will be given the Park suite

Now that should give you a starting point, let the fun commence
Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:04 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SG Solitaire PPS, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I have paid for the Park King at Hyatt daily rate of AU$295 a night and been upgraded to the Club King Deluxe for my suite upgrade (booked via the Diamond Line - Australian number). The Club King deluxe room is 77sqm compared to 41sqm for the Club king. The Club King Deluxe room is not advertised on the website. The Park Suite is advertised as the only suite at 82sqm and is Hyatt daily rate of $645 a night.

Should I have been given the Park Suite?
Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:47 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by astonmartinv8
I have paid for the Park King at Hyatt daily rate of AU$295 a night and been upgraded to the Club King Deluxe for my suite upgrade (booked via the Diamond Line - Australian number). The Club King deluxe room is 77sqm compared to 41sqm for the Club king. The Club King Deluxe room is not advertised on the website. The Park Suite is advertised as the only suite at 82sqm and is Hyatt daily rate of $645 a night.

Should I have been given the Park Suite?
I had a similar experience at the Hyatt Regency Greenville (see Master Thread) where I was confirmed into a seemingly oversized room but upon checkin was upgraded to an actual suite. It may be the same situation here. My suggestion would be to call reservations AND the hotel and have them add a note that an upgrade to a Park Suite would be appreciated if available, then upon arrival, if you're not given an upgrade and don't find the Club King Deluxe to be satisfactory as a suite, ask them to return the suite upgrade certificate OR bump you to a Club King and return the certificate. At 77 sqm (or over 800 sq ft.) though, I'd definitely say that the room you've been confirmed in would be considered a suite, as it's over twice the size of the average hotel room (industry wide).

Last edited by NDDomer86; Jan 12, 2010 at 6:53 am
Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:58 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by m0hamed
As your rightly entitled to the Best Available Room, I'd cancel the suite upgrade and do what I did with the Park Hyatt Sydney and call the US Diamond line the day before to arrange the best available room, which to me would be the Club Deluxe King.
A Club Deluxe Room does not seem to be a valid room type at the Park Hyatt Sydney, but regardless, the entry level suite at this property is the Premier Suite at 73 sqm. The Club Deluxe Room at the Park Hyatt Canberra is 77 sqm so certainly larger than the entry suite at the Park Hyatt Sydney. If one is to make an argument on size alone, this does not hold a footing. Also, keep in mind, that while we may have differing opinions of what constitutes a suite, the hotel is free to designate whatever rooms they wish as a suite, and as long as they assign it as an entry level suite (and sell it as such), it seems there is no recourse available.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 3:33 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Sorry, I was referring to the Club Deluxe King at CBR, and referncing my use of the Diamond line on a recent stay at PHS. FYI I received a City/Harbour View King a the PHS after in house reservations attempted to tell me it was only a one category upgrade.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 3:34 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Call both.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 2:46 am

Programs: Qantas, Gold Passport, SPG
Can anyone with recent club experience let me know what is on offer in terms of breakfast, and evening drinks?

We're due to have a stay on the 24th January.

TIA
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:55 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by keiko
Can anyone with recent club experience let me know what is on offer in terms of breakfast, and evening drinks?

We're due to have a stay on the 24th January.

TIA
Same question. I'll be there next week.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 1:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Same. Same.

Is in-room breakfast offered complimentary to Diamonds?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:54 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by danger
Same. Same.

Is in-room breakfast offered complimentary to Diamonds?
Not from memory - the breakfast in the Lounge is more than adequate though.

And the lounge is one of the few on the planet with Russian Caravan Tea - awesome.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:48 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Underwhelmed

I just completed a one night stay and was underwhelmed. On arriving in my taxi the porter said: "Hey mate. Do you wan' me to put your bags on the trolley and take 'em to your room?" I'm not a snob (not much of one, anyway) but at a Park Hyatt I expect a high degree of professionalism, even in Australia. Something like "Welcome to the Park Hyatt Canberra. May I assist you with your bags?"

The front desk agent welcomed me back to the hotel (I'd never stayed before) and directed me to my room. The bags were promptly delivered. The bathroom is huge and very nice with marble throughout, a separate bath and shower and a number of amenities like a shaving kit, dental kit, cotton wool etc. The big thing missing from the room, though, was a luggage rack. The only place to put your suitcase is either on the lounge or on the floor, neither of which are suitable to me. The second big letdown for the room is the size of the TV. It wouldn't be bigger than 26 inch, probably smaller. For a Park Hyatt and for the size of the room it really is too small.

The evening canapes and drinks in the Ambassador Lounge were very nice with a decent selection. Breakfast was average. There are not hot items at all. Toast, muffins, croissants, two or three cereals, muesli and fruit about sums it up.

The evening turndown occurs without request. It was very nicely done with two bottles of water left. However, the bedspread/doona/duvet looked like it had just been thrown over the bed. I might be being picky but it didn't look like any care had been taken.

Ahhh, yes. The Diamond amenity: two apples! Wow. I've had better Diamond amenities at el-cheapo Hyatts in the US. Very disappointing. There was no beverage side to the amenity, either. Seriously.

The Clubhouse fitness centre is very good. Several cardio machines and a good number of weights machines.

It's a very nice hotel, to be sure, but, for a Park Hyatt, this stay didn't impress. I'm back at the end of the week and hoping for improvements.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:55 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Less underwhelmed

A two night stay over the weekend was much improved on my one night last weekend. The concierge was more professional and the Diamond amenity went from two apples last week to five pieces of fruit, a bottle of red wine and a handwritten note from the GM.

I had a club sandwich from the room service menu and was very pleasantly surprised to see no additional charge. No tray charge, no 15% room service charge, nothing additional for public holidays. I can't remember the last time I stayed at a hotel that didn't charge extra for room service.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 2:08 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by danger
A two night stay over the weekend was much improved on my one night last weekend. The concierge was more professional and the Diamond amenity went from two apples last week to five pieces of fruit, a bottle of red wine and a handwritten note from the GM.

I had a club sandwich from the room service menu and was very pleasantly surprised to see no additional charge. No tray charge, no 15% room service charge, nothing additional for public holidays. I can't remember the last time I stayed at a hotel that didn't charge extra for room service.
I stayed on Friday night, same amenity.

My room service was late (50 minutes, quoted 30), received a box of chocolates as a sweetener (boom boom). Overall a decent stay - the arsed up and double-charged me for dinner, promised to fix it and email a revised invoice, which I received around 20 minutes after checkout.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:43 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Just checked out today. My experience is as follows. Arrived approximate 4pm waited few minutes for a porter no one arrived had to go get luggage trolly myself then porter came out to lend a hand. Check in was good I used my diamond suit upgrade for a park suite. Proceed to the room with the porter. Rooms very spacious has two bathrooms one with massive bath. Bed very comfortable. Small standing balcony and a few limited pay tv channels the standard hotel package. Diamond amenities were 5 piece fruit plate and a bottle of good wine. Brand name bathroom amenities included bath salts etc pool spa gym are in a separate building. Short walk.
Ambassador lounge had self serve tea coffee and . Between 6and 8 pre dinner drinks and canapés which included a good range of different canapés cheese deserts spirits beer soft drinks coffee tea. Breakfast is $39 per head served in the promenade cafe for a full buffet very good had a chef making omlette and service from staff was excellent.
Check out wasn't as swift as check in with issues with my upgrade but once sorted all in all a good stay.
I would recommend this hotel compared to the novotel it's 3 times as good. Free parking on site.
Old May 31, 2011, 1:23 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Despite the negative reviews, I just checked in and was expecting to have to argue for a Club Deluxe (which my PL rep agreed was the best available room). Despite informing that I have booked a Non Smoking King, when I asked "What room type do you have me in?" the FD agent replied "The Ambassador Suite."

The Suite is actually called the Hughes Suite, and is by far the larges suite I have ever stayed in. It features a foyer, living room, kitchen, bedroom, 2 balconies and a huge bathroom with a spa. Welcome amenity was a bottle of red (which I swapped for White) and a fruit platter.

So far, very impressed. As others have noted there were no porters at the front entrance. Yet to explore the club or other areas of the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.