Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency O'Hare REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency O'Hare REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old May 29, 2007, 2:05 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
And why would anyone stay there, anyway, unless:
1) ...they don't know about the other Hyatt in Rosemont
2) ...they can't get in at the above
3) ...the rates were MUCH better at "THE ORD" property
4) ...they were attending a conference at "THE ORD" property

..."THE ORD" property being the cavernous one with the quarter-mile walk to your room after you arrive.

...the other Rosemont property being the classy, manageable one with rooms that didn't need upgrading the last time I stayed there (and shuttle service).
Old May 29, 2007, 7:41 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
I use it for mattress runs

and our corporate is usually lots cheaper than the Rosemont hotel.
Old May 29, 2007, 12:01 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a diamond, I used it to see where I'd be upgraded to, and ended up in very 70s-style split-level suite on the 9th and 10th floors with a spiral interior staircase. I've only seen a room like this in one other Hyatt, the one in Vancouver B.C.

My impression from previous stays in Rosemont is that suites there are just two connecting rooms with one made into a parlor.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 3:32 pm

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
Just stayed here 21-23 of June 2007

I just got back from staying at this property with my wife and sister-in-law. In general the renovations were good. We got upgraded to a suite (no idea why, but not complaing), but the view was of construction equipment; we have no status at Hyatt. Tried the bar, and the restaurant both were a bit dismal. They looked nice, but the bar's selection was pretty crappy for wine and they ran out of mineral water; who runs out of mineral water? The breakfast buffet looked good, but the food was greasy and quite ineatible. The service was good though. My big complaint is 17 to self park, and the 9.99 t-mobile hotspot wifi...the renovated rooms are nice looking.

Phil
Old Jun 27, 2007, 4:54 am

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
1-Since there is no more pool, how is the health club ?
2-Did you try the RC ?
Old Jun 27, 2007, 6:49 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ducatibiker
1-Since there is no more pool, how is the health club ?
2-Did you try the RC ?
Both are pretty good, both are located on the main atrium floor to the left of the desk as you stand facing it. This probably means that any room + club access = a club room so there won't necessarily be upgraded amenities in the room (although there were in my suite upgrade).

You have to parade across the lobby in athletic gear to get to the health club, not a big deal but mildly annoying.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 9:30 am

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
RC / Health Club

The health club is "okay" in my book. All the equipment is new, but it is crowded. I prefer Sofitel's bottled water and fresh fruit to the layout in the gym. Would have preferred them keeping the pool, but I guess they feel they can get more revenue with more meeting space. The RC was a bit of a disappointment to me, but then again I am used to the club floors at the Ritz Carlton's...so I wouldn't be a good judge of what is good for Hyatt. My other club experience was in Kauai which was vastly superior to this property...

Phil
Old Jul 18, 2007, 5:34 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Not so bad..

I've just started staying at Hyatt hotels and can't compare to other Hyatts. I have no status yet.

This is my impression of the hotel:

My room is 2832 in the Executive Wing. The room is pretty big. All the furniture except the two desk chairs looks brand new. There's a mini bar with the essential stuff, but it's a bit overpriced. (a small bottle of Evian is 4.50, a can of Pepsi 4 bucks ).

There's actually an extra fridge for your own stuff.

There's a Westin style coffee maker.

Bathroom is very small.

The room is not noisy at all. They must have changed the windows because there are AA MDs passing right outside my window landing on 22R and it's dead quiet..

Internet is t-mobile, but included in the Business Plan rate. Otherwise it's 9.99.

No Pool, awesome lobby and service is excellent.

Selfparking is 17 bucks

All in all, would recommend this hotel to anyone.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 8:47 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
The executive wing is ok.

The main building isn't.

Although, it still blows my mind that there are no mini-bars.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 8:55 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by robb
The executive wing is ok.

The main building isn't.

Although, it still blows my mind that there are no mini-bars.
There was a mini bar in my room
Old Jul 18, 2007, 9:32 pm

Recent Hyatt O'Hare+ stay

I was sort of excited about staying at the Hyatt since it had been closed for several months for much needed renovations. So when I pulled up, the first thing I noticed was the renovations to the front entrance and glass canopy. Also, the reflection from the televisions in the sports bar above the entrance. Promising. The lobby is much improved. The escalators to the main level have been replaced and the atrium lobby is open, airy and much refreshed. Ok.

My check in takes about five minutes because I have two separate reservations for consecutive nights [don't ask]. I'm told there is a chance I may have to change rooms after the first night. Huh, come again? Ok. I'm directed to the 'Executive Floor' which sounds nice - but in reality is the annex of the hotel. The directions are sort of confusing - but essentially don't get on the elevators. Just sort of keep walking and following the signs. I huff down to the room with bag/briefcase [no offer of assistance] and find my room. Now, as I'm walking down the hallway, continuing around the elevators and still walking - I'm noticing that the rooms and carpet don't look especially new. But regardless, I keep plugging along. I get to my room and voila: this has been renovated? Ok, here's my question: What hotel chain renovates hotel rooms and puts in [or leaves] the existing 27" bulky, non-HD television sets? Really, this room has been 'renovated'? The bed is comfortable but I'm still not convinced I need 6? 8? pillows? Half end up on the floor.

Here's a question: So I get a free newspaper, but it's not the Chicago Tribune, Sun Times or even USA Today. Nope, it's the local Rosemont [Western suburbs] rag. Why would they do that? Also, the 'gift shop' sells 'gourmet' coffee; but doesn't carry newspapers or magazines? I grabbed a copy of the Tribune off the concierge's desk - go ahead, bill me fifty cents.

The 'Executive Floor' - is this some marketing guy's idea of a joke? Everyone who I saw heading down there looked disgruntled. Oh, and there was a fair share of airline employees staying down there so it's my take that these 'second class' rooms are for those [like me] who paid below rack for my room. Regardless, it's hardly the 'Hyatt experience' one expects at an 'atrium' hotel.

Also, can someone explain how they get $17 a day to self park in a garage where water leaked on my car for the three days I was parked there?

And though I'm happy enough to walk the half mile to the Rosemont CTA station, why doesn't the hotel offer a shuttle? The whole point of staying at Rosemont was to save on parking and still have a convenient connection to downtown. But considering the current state of the Blue Line - it was a big mistake. An endless ride [so it seemed] in to the city and back.

I ate in the sports bar off the lobby one night - average, uninspired food and service. Prices were what you'd expect: $12 hamburgers, etc.

As usual, I wanted to believe the hype on the Hyatt O'Hare website and was rewarded with disappointment. Yes, the hotel public spaces are improved; but you could fool me [a frequent traveler] on the room renovations and I still can't figure out the lack of plasma tv's in the rooms.

Then again, I spent the following two nights at the Minneapolis Hyatt on Nicolette Mall and can say without question, this is one tired hotel. And though Hyatt's are suppose to have T-Mobile wireless - this one doesn't. They have wifi, just not the kind you can use with a T-Mobile account. Everyone gets charged to use it.

The fifth night on the road: Fairfield Inn [Marriott] in Fargo. Let's see, king size bed [quite comfortable], free wifi [it really worked] and plasma television. Free parking. Go figure.

The next night: Residence Inn/Omaha: King bed [quite comfortable] free internet [not wifi] but it worked fine. Free parking.

The next night: Wyndham/Overland Park, Kansas. Not so hot. I got some free wifi from the Motel 8 next door. But they did have free copies of the Wall Street Journal, KC Star and USA Today. Not bad.

The following night: Adams Mark/Indianapolis Airport: Free internet, decent/comfortable bed and very nice LG HD flat screen tv. Oh, and they had free parking, too.

The Hyatt's [ORD/MSP] are both four star hotels - that offer less at higher prices. The others are 2/2.5 star hotels - that offer more at a lower rate. I didn't get any 'points' or 'status', but I saved a bundle.

Last edited by pdx42; Jul 18, 2007 at 11:22 pm
Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:17 pm

Hyatt O'Hare continued.

1. No question of assistance or help from registration to my room. It's fine, I'd just driven 500 miles; I can schlep my bags down the hall.
2. Executive Floor/Wing - whatever. We all know what I'm talking about here. And for the record, the windows are smaller in this part of the hotel and mine wouldn't open - sort of frustrating.
3. Yeah, the tv's suck for just renovated rooms.
4. With the decorative pillows - it's eight or nine.
5. I did have a water stain on top of my car - and there is a leak in the garage. I had it rewashed - but worth mentioning.
6. I'm glad you enjoyed your 'tasty' burger. The prices at the sports bar are higher and the food is average. It's not bad, it's just what I expected. I ate it - it beat McDonald's.
7. Shuttle: Regardless of how I booked the hotel I wanted to save a few bucks [it's my dime]. But I noticed a lot of other guests huffing it to the CTA stop - so in an effort to be, 'customer friendly', why not run a half hour shuttle to and from the stop? I'm 44, healthy, active - the walk is fine. But others might appreciate that sort of service from a - full service hotel.
8. I've stayed downtown before: Park Hyatt, Intercontinental, Sofitel [I'm no stranger to higher end properties] - but the reality of this experience doesn't change any of the facts.
9. You asked for a Tribune/WSJ and got them free? Good. Again, doesn't change anything. The question remains: why would the hotel put out a second-rate newspaper for their guests? My guess: they got a deal from the paper.
10. And what's with the gift shop not selling newspapers or magazines? Strange, huh?
11. Don't knock Priceline. It's one of the best online products to come out of the internet travel revolution. If someone else was footing the bill, these comments would all still be legitimate. As for those mostly useless Hyatt points you can have them. Hotel loyalty programs [in my book] aren't worth much. I'd rather spend $70 a night on a four star hotel and pocket the savings. [For the record, I get points through Amex] You think the Hyatt O'Hare is worth $170 a night? The airport Sofitel $185? I'll never pay rack rates again and after trying some lower end hotels that offer more for less - I'm moving towards that end of the market. I just finished a 13 state, 2,944 mile, ten day trip. The bottom line: four star hotels offered less at a higher price than the 2.5 star properties.

Four star properties:
Free parking: no.
Free internet: no.
Free newspaper: sometimes.
Free breakfast: no.

2-2.5 star properties:
Free parking: yes.
Free internet: yes.
Free newspapers: yes.
Free breakfast: sometimes.

Price difference: significant savings.
Disadvantages: hardly any if you're not insistent in a downtown location.

As Bill Murray said, "that's a fact, jack!"

Last edited by pdx42; Jul 18, 2007 at 11:25 pm
Old Jul 19, 2007, 1:30 am

Last edited by nonyflyer; Aug 20, 2013 at 11:55 pm
Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:19 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Stayed here last night.
Shuttle driver was very friendly-offered bottle water.Some confussion amongst the travellers regarding which Hyatt they were at.
Late night checkin was extremely friendly and efficient-very nice change from the idiots Marriott usually has working the weekend shifts.
Room in Exec wing was very,very clean and quiet.Bed was exceptional.I slept a good 9 hours.
Breakfast buffet was a little expensive-but very good-I made a little piggie out of myself!Very good baked goods and a few small touches that made $20 not feel like such a bad thing for a breakfast buffet.
Checkout was friendly and efficient and happy to make sure my 5k bonus points got posted to my account.
All in All a very nice stay.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 12:31 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
My recent experience here has been very positive. The public areas are wonderful and the club is the best I've seen in the U.S. at a Hyatt. Almost has a PH feel to it in there. I find the rooms quite comfortable and quiet. IMO this place is A LOT better than the Hyatt Regency downtown in every way except location.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.