Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Osaka (Left Hyatt 30 June 2023) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Osaka (Left Hyatt 30 June 2023) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by suite2suite
And No omelettes....
They could still surprise us with an omelette station in the club lounge...
suite2suite likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
I remember when the Club room was full for breakfast and they had to call me when a table became available.
Hope that will no longer be the case.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looks like it is taking up what used to be the entire 28th floor, so it will certainly accommodate many more people than before.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Tax is included in the rate as it used to be also at Kyoto Hyatt Regency until it decided to change the rules. Be happy HR Osaka has not changed theirs.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Although not on the English page, the Japanese page says that the RC lounge will be serving sparkling wine from 12 noon to 10 pm during the month of August to celebrate the opening of the new lounge.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:14 am

Stayed at Hyatt Regency Osaka in August. Was upgraded to a suite without even asking. Visited the new RC on the 28th floor. Very nice, but about average for Asia. Breakfast buffet in the restaurant on the first floor was better, although, there is an omelet station in the RC. RC is nice in the evening with lots of drink and slightly better food than before. Management at this hotel treat globalists very well. Drink in the 1st floor bar will cost you (Asahi beer cost me 11 USD) so enjoy it in the RC.

Location is not the best, unless you are visiting the aquarium or Universal Studios. Staying out past midnight, after the trains shutdown, will cost you 60 USD to return by taxi from Umeda station. Maybe best to stay out all night until 5am when trains start back up...Have not found a better level 2 Hyatt anywhere except the Hyatt City of Dreams in Manila.

I've received better service at level 2 Hyatts in Asia than most level 5's in the US.
hailstorm likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Would it be a good idea to use the HR Osaka as a "base", when wanting to take day trips to places like Nara, Kobe, and perhaps Hiroshima. First time in Japan this fall, and trying to plan my 13 night itinerary.

I'm thinking:

Tokyo x3
Osaka x4 (and make day trips)
Fukuoka x2
Kyoto x2

That leaves 2 more nights. I'm thinking I could leave it to those four cities and add an extra night in two of them, or utilize the 2 nights to explore other cities (like Sendei or Kanazawa). Any input greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by murphyUA
Would it be a good idea to use the HR Osaka as a "base", when wanting to take day trips to places like Nara, Kobe, and perhaps Hiroshima.
Oh gosh, no. You'd want a hotel centered by Osaka station for that, like the Hilton or IC.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:25 am

Would it be a good idea to use the HR Osaka as a "base", when wanting to take day trips to places like Nara, Kobe, and perhaps Hiroshima.
It is certainly not impossible, and I know others who have done it.

It depends a lot on your priorities. Staying in a more central location would certainly same a lot of time, but you might have other things to consider, such as if you need night credits or the rate (especially if using P&C) or if your a Glob, then the perks and maybe using a suite upgrade, etc.

The shuttle to Osaka Station is about 30 min, by train I would think about 4045 min to get to Namba (from where you could take Kintetsu to Nara) and 50-55 min to get to Osaka Station.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Oh gosh, no. You'd want a hotel centered by Osaka station for that, like the Hilton or IC.
Thanks for the advice, but I figured a 30 min shuttle ride to and from Osaka Station would alleviate a portion of the hotel being located far from central Osaka.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the advice, but I figured a 30 min shuttle ride to and from Osaka Station would alleviate a portion of the hotel being located far from central Osaka.
It's 30 minutes if you catch it exactly on time, and the bus doesn't fill up first (it's not very big). Odds are you'll be spending more than an hour each day riding and waiting for the bus.

But hey, you can do it. I just wouldn't recommend it over better options.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:51 pm

The bus ride is about 25-30 min, and as Hailstorm has said, there is also waiting time, especially on the return when you will not be able to plan the time that easily. But there is also train access at 50-55 min, and unless you're staying at the Granvia right above JR Osaka or maybe at the Hilton, it would also be 15-30 minutes from any other hotel. For example, it would likely take at least 20-30 minutes to walk from the IC, depending on the crowds along the most direct route.

I would say the the HR Osaka is terribly located for anyone who wants to spend most of their time in central Osaka, such as Dotonbori or Kitashinchi, but it is less of a disadvantage for taking day trips from JR Osaka or on Kintetsu. 30 min vs 5 mins to hit the bar scene would seem like an eternity, but 150 min vs 120 min one way on a day trip is doable if there are other advantages to be gained.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:53 pm

Thanks to the both of you. I still have a lot of planning, obviously. I'm torn between wanting to get maximum value of the JR pass, but not going overboard on what's actually feasible. I'm now thinking my 4 nights at HR Osaka might be better suited if I changed it to 2 nights (for day trips Kobe and Nara), and then spend 2 nights at a more central Osaka hotel for visiting Osaka itself.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
The bus ride is about 25-30 min, and as Hailstorm has said, there is also waiting time, especially on the return when you will not be able to plan the time that easily. But there is also train access at 50-55 min, and unless you're staying at the Granvia right above JR Osaka or maybe at the Hilton, it would also be 15-30 minutes from any other hotel.
I don't recall it taking more than ten minutes to walk from the RC Osaka, or the more reasonably priced hotel across the street where I did my laundry.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
I don't recall it taking more than ten minutes to walk from the RC Osaka, or the more reasonably priced hotel across the street where I did my laundry.
I'm sure you're correct. I was just ballparking it, and I'm a slow walker. I probably should have said 10-30 min, since I imagine that there are a number of hotels from which it is possible to walk to JR Osaka in about 10 minutes, assuming one knows the way and does not end up fighting against heavy pedestrian traffic. The IC would look to take less time than it does based solely on distance, but the couple of times I've walked it has been like swimming upstream.

The point I was trying to make is that the trip from the HR to JR Osaka might add anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes travel time vs a more central location, but to some people that might not be a significant difference for taking a day trip to Nara or Hiroshima if there are some other advantages of staying at the HR. But of course I agree with you that a central location would be better absent of a specific reason (such as the excellent P&C rate) to stay at the HR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.