Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Cypress Regency (Orlando) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Cypress Regency (Orlando) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old May 27, 07, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I've always been given access, but I've also always been on a RC floor.

I do know the GC is now charging non-RC floor guests $50 pp if they want to access the lounge, so they may start enforcing it, but I can't tell you for sure.

The RC is one of the reasons we started staying at this property too.
Old Sep 7, 07, 6:11 am

No adults only pool. Only heated and unheated. Both the pools are fairly large and shouldn't be much of a problem with kids.
Old Jan 21, 08, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
We stayed here in October using a combination of points and paid stays...stayed for two nights in two connecting rooms. It was my wife and two children, 3 and 18 months. Worked great as we put them in the other room to sleep and we could have the TV on and relax in the other room...we got lounge access and basically fed the kids at night up there as they had fresh fruit, heavy appetizers, etc...mom and dad had a few cocktails then we went to the lobby sushi lounge and let the kids run while we ate sushi...worked out really nice and I must say this property quickly became a favorite of mine...GREAT SERVICE!
Anyhow...my question is has anyone ever used points to get a suite? We are headed back in April for two nights and the rate is $309/night...I was thinking about using 23K/night for a suite. If you have used points for a suite, which one did you get?
Old Mar 6, 08, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Recent stay-better, but not quite there yet

Just got back from a four-day stay there and noticed that the property and service had improved, but were still not quite there.

Good: Front desk service was definitely much friendlier. The range of amenities is excellent, but you pay for it in the resort fee. The elevators seem to be moving a lot more quickly, as well. Service at the pool was also pretty good.

Bad: Hotel is in serious need of a remodel. It's right out of the eighties. The tip grubbing is probably the worst of any hotel that I have stayed at in years. Other services throughout the hotel were mixed: I had a room opposite a suite that was holding a dinner, and the staff was out there until almost 11pm banging around dishes while cleaning up. I had to call the front desk to send up someone to tell them to quiet down.

Overall, the hotel is fine, but I'm there once a year for a conference that is moving to the JW Marriott next year. I'll be moving with it.

Mike
Old Apr 22, 08, 6:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton Gold,Starwood Preferred, United, AA
The RC floor has the same size rooms. The amenities usually are special. Tre RC itself is great. There is the regular breakfast offerings of fruit, cereal, bagels, and pastry. During the day there are fresh cookies, nuts fruit and dried fruit to snack on. In the evening they have a lot of appetizers and free coctails and then at 8pm they have desserts and after dinner drinks.:-:
Old Apr 22, 08, 8:40 am

Programs: UA Global Services 2.92+ MM, Hyatt Globalist
I stayed there just last month and have to agree that the RC offerings were good in the AM, but the PM appetizers were absolutely worth it. I can see making them a meal! The staff are also very nice and helpful...
Old Apr 30, 08, 6:57 am

Thumbs down Bad experience

OK I am at the Hyatt GC. I checked on the RC floor and when I first started looking it was an extra $79/night at the front desk it went to $99/night, so that would have raised our rates to over $300/night. I opted not to spend that much extra (I am staying for 5 nights). I requested a King room and was put into a 2 DBL room with a view of the front parking lot. They said that was all they had. Got into the room and man was I disappointed, the room does look tired nothing like the rest of the hotel. They keep the outside so clean and nice looking. Unpacked and got settled, hooked up the computer to the ethernet plug in the room and could not get out. Called the help desk and they couldn't get it to work remotely so someone from the hotel was to be dispatched out. I waited 30 minutes called downstairs and spoke with a male that said he would have someone there in 10 minutes. 45 minutes later I called back down and was told that they didn't have anyone on duty during the weekend that I just needed to hookup via Tmobile wireless and they would have it repaired the next day. I spoke with the Manager (not a helpful person and could barely understand him, he was speaking so fast) he tried to blame it on my companies computer access till I told him I was the IT manager for the company. He never offered to move me or anything just that he would have someone there the next day and they would let me know what they found out.

The next day came I went to my conference and came back, no notes on the desk or messages on the phone so I called downstairs and spoke with the IT guy and he stated that the wiring in the room was bad. He asked if I was able to connect via Tmobile and I said yes but the signal strength was low. Do you think he offered to move me into another room or offered anything? NOPE... He said ok well at least you are connected and if I need anything else to let him know. I thought about calling the Manager but from my previous experience he didn't seem to interested in helping.

Needless to say the conference gave us a survey on whether or not to come back to this hotel next year and I voted to move somewhere else. After speaking with others, they all agree that the outside of the hotel is so nice and well kept, maybe they need the gardners to come take care of the hotel rooms!! I think they take better care of the birds here than the guests. Thanks for listening..
Old May 8, 08, 11:51 am

Programs: HH, HyattGP, Hertz, SWA, USAir, NW
I just returned from a long golfing weekend with my son at HRGC. My favorite room numbers end in 51 (1451, 1551, 1651) they overlook the pool and have a nice view of the fireworks at night. The key to the RC is to eat breakfast early, say 6:30 to 7:30. The parks do not open until 9:00 so you can usually beat the kiddie’s crowd. Avoid this hotel all together June, July & August if you cannot tolerate a lot of little kids. The place is overrun with them. Best time is Jan, Feb & Mar (not Easter). I have also stayed at the Villas and agree that it is a bit of an oasis, quite and more refined. The restaurants at HRGC are a rip off, outrageous priced with average service, except for Fred the bartender at Hurricanes, he is a great bartender!
Old Jun 17, 08, 8:00 pm

Programs: hhonors
June 17 08,
My wife and I are currently here for a conference for her work. She's diamond in Hilton and requested a "status match" for this visit, which was granted ( thanks Flyertalk!!!).

Upon check in we were given a Regency Club floor room, the front desk and RC lounge concierge have been most gracious. Free mixed drinks and beers ( Bud, Michelob and Heiniken) , also chocolate covered strawberries, big cookies, brownies, etc in the lounge 8-9 pm, earlier in the evening there was a nice selection of cheeses, meats and shrimps,crackers, as well as some salad available in the lounge - starbucks coffee and AZO tea available all day.

We were also given a welcome amenity which we were allowed to choose - we got Evian and a nut-fruit tray.

FYI, lots of food in the area, most of it within walking distance if you're motivated, Ihop, BK, a chinese buffet, Denny's, and a steakhouse are all right near the entrance to the property. Also gas stations and a small grocery store just off the property if you're looking to beat the prices in the hotel.

Wireless access in the room through T-mobile @ $9.99 per day( can be billed to your room) , or wired access at $11.99 per day. There were some other 802.11 networks available from our room, but they wouldn't give an ip address.

Our room was in excellent condition, some might call it slightly dated, but it was by no means shabby or bad.

So far a wonderful place to stay with very good service.
Old Aug 14, 08, 12:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton Gold,Starwood Preferred, United, AA
Smile

The Grand Cypress is due to begin renovations in October. They will do a section of a wing at a time. It is a great place to stay with kids. Lots of activities to do besides the pool. There is biking,non-motorized water boats, 9 hole pitch and putt, basketball,tennis and a rock climbing wall. I would definitely get a car just for the convenience. This is one of our favorite properties. The RC is great too.
Old Aug 15, 08, 2:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy Card, CO Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Amex Centurion and its perks...
Renovation with commence in October

I was at the hotel recently and learned of the extensive, 65 million dollar renovation the hotel will be going through. It will be a new hotel according to the staff. The RC will be moving from the 11th to 12th floor and will include a walk out patio. The good part is all of the bad plumbing will be replaced--this is really important as we had a terrible problem with the shower not draining every time.

Also, Cascades will be closing and replaced with a spa. The hotel will remain open and it will be done wing by wing.
Old Aug 15, 08, 2:23 pm

The hotel NEEDS a spa. It's good to hear their putting one in.

But, Cascades is the only place to have a sit down breakfast, lunch or dinner. Why would they close it? Perhaps their going to close La Coquina and put Cascades down there. It's closed most of the time anyway.

Is the same GM still there?
Old Aug 17, 08, 6:23 am

Smile

They expect the entire project to take 15 months. Paul Tang is still the GM.
As far as Cascades closing the info I received indicated it was closing for renovations and would re-open with a new theme. I did hear they were putting in a spa but did not ask the location.
Old Aug 18, 08, 9:51 am

Programs: Hyatt: Plat, HH: Dia, Spg: Au, VS: Red, Accor: Plat, BAEC: Ag, Nordic Choice: Au
My info concurs with diamond_46's about La Coquina, which is to be a full service spa, and the restaurant probably combined with Cascades. Other stuff (unconfirmed as yet) include a lazy river and removal of the trees in the lobby.
Old Nov 7, 08, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Just called the hotel as I'll be staying there on Sunday and Monday and was told that due to renovations they don't upgrade diamonds to the RC floor at this time. Once the renovations are over they'll start upgrading to RC floor again. As the lady put it, it is not part of the diamond package anymore. They still give access to the RC. I'll see what happens over the weekend and will report back.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: