Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Cypress Regency (Orlando) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Cypress Regency (Orlando) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old May 3, 05, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat/QF Lifetime Gold/Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, Accor Plat, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Some of the suites have some amazingly large patios...just huge.
Old May 3, 05, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
1459 is my favorite, patio, king bed, not a suite (so not as hard to get), corner room with view of pool, patio faces Epcot and fireworks, etc.

Not big room but great views and patio.
Old May 4, 05, 12:35 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat, AA EXP, SPG platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
I've been to the Grand Cypress a half dozen times as a diamond, and have never been upgraded to the few suites that they have--always on the RC floor though and always with a pool view (quieter/better views). I agree with one of the previous poster that there really isn't much a difference between the non-suite rooms except for the view/noise. The rooms are rather tight by Orlando standards (Disney/Sheraton Dolphin-Swan, Westin Bohemian, the Peabody are all more spacious/comfortable), but the service level is quite high. The RC food quality is also tops.
Old May 4, 05, 1:46 pm

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
One Incredible Stay at the Hyatt Grand Cypress...

I don't know if IHH and I ever mentioned this, but Thanksgiving 2000 we were given the most unbelievable room EVER!!! My buddy Steven asked if we would not mind having a bi-level. IHH said, "Well is on the RC floor?" Steven said, "I can give you access, but it is not on the floor." Dad, shush, key word -- BIlevel! It was room 1741, I think??? It was the most amazing! I will see if I can rummage up some pictures. It had a full dining room and a dull living room and then a patio larger than both of those rooms! Then there was a spiral staircase up to a large bedroom. And the BATHROOM -- it had a jacuzzi tub that was enclosed!!!

It was a long time ago. We love the RC, so we are happy with any room, 1118. 1109 is a GREAT room! 1105 seems like it was nicer, too.

IHH -- was it 1741?
Old May 25, 05, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Well, seems that the hotel is sold out this weekend... like almost everything. I asked for a room with a patio OR a room with at least a normal size terrace.

Unfortunately, they told me they couldn't do it. We're blocked into a room on the 17th floor with RC access and a pool view. They said since the hotel is so full we'll probably be happier up there anyway.

In no way am I complaining. We are there on our extended 4 FFNs. We're happy just having the RC access and having a room that doesn't face Rt 535.
Old Jun 12, 05, 8:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Dia, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Delta Gold
Just a quick update....

We stayed at the Grand Cypress for 4 nights (SOS) from 6/2-6/7 and found it absolutely excellent. The kids loved the Camp Hyatt (free with the SOS coupons), we all loved the Sunday brunch at LaCoquina (probably the most expensive brunch I've ever paid for but I cannot imagine anything better). Everything about this place is top rate.

BTW, we stayed on the 7th floor facing the pool. Fireworks were great!
Old Jun 21, 05, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by macj86
Is this room a suite?
Yes it is, and the conceirge's did their best to try to get us into one of them during the busy Memorial Day weekend. They were all full (I saw people on the terraces). Our consolation prize was to get a room on the penthouse floor facing the pool. No complaints there. We only wanted it for the full balcony.
Old Oct 11, 05, 3:16 pm

Another Grand Cypress Review & Room Choices (MERGED)

No need to repeat myself... the only difference is the room number 1726

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=Grand+Cypress

Again, a flawless stay.

The room amenities have been replaced with Portico Ecalyptus. The bottles were fairly large and I noticed they were not replaced for our second day. I can't say that I blame them. My husband was ready to take the new bottles home . Yes, I know many of you don't like Portico products, but I really liked the scent of this one. It's not L'Occitane, but for a few days it will do.

We did receive one of the funnies notifications under our door yesterday morning.

"We will be cleaning the terraces between 9am and 5pm. Do not be alarmed if you see someone on your terrace. They will be rappelling from the roof. For your privacy, we suggest you keep your drapes closed during those hours."

I don't know why, I just found this really funny.

A notable change - they are replacing all the poolside lounges with lounges with padded cushions. We lucked out and got a new one - it's a vast improvement. They've also purchased a lot of new umbrellas. ^^^

Super Kudos to Hyatt
They have 4 Hyatt families from New Orleans living and working in the hotel until they can go home. We were told that many Hyatts in the US have taken in some of the families and given them a temporary home and let them continue to do their jobs, except in a different hotel.

The concierge staff is wonderful - they're even calling Kauai for us to "introduce" us to this new hotel and concierge for our upcoming trip.

We most definitely will be back to this hotel.
Old Feb 3, 06, 8:55 am

IMO, the RC is very child-friendly...many kids all the time. There may be restrictions after a certain time, but since I don't have kids, never paid attention. The resort fee includes the basic items, including, local & 800 calls, use of facilities/towels/activites (see below), etc. I can't remember anything out of the ordinary.

I never heard of any problems with the pool area...as a rule of thumb for any resort, I wouldn't bring anything too valuable to the pool and leave it lying around all day. Usually you can conceal a camera for instance, just make sure you check it every so often.

Sorry, can't comment on the kids club or equestrian center. However, there are many recreational activities there, such as windsurfing, paddle boating, hydro-biking, 9-hole golf, biking, quadricycling (don't know if that's a word), etc.

Originally Posted by Gatwickba
Hi there. I have booked for me and my family to stay in the Grand Cypress in Orlando at the end of May, we have stayed here for the odd night before when we have done the Disney Christmas party and travelled over from Tampa, but this year we decided to go all out and book the Regency Club for 2 weeks.

We know a little about the hotel, but would like some advice from anyone who has stayed here regularly.....

Is the Regency Club child friendly (unlike some of the posters on the BA Forum!)
What is included in the resort fee?
How good is the Kids Club?
Has anyone used the Equestrian centre?

Is the pool area secure? - read on another site about people coming in to use the facilities and being able to access the pool area, possible theft of sunglasses, cameras etc?

Any info would be greatly received, like I say we have stayed here for 1 night on 2 occasions so would really like to make the most of the trip......especially combined with Club World on British Airways!!!

Roll on May!!!
Old Feb 3, 06, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
We love this hotel. While I can't comment on the equestrian center, there are so many other activities included, like the golf and the water sports, you won't be bored. Service is also fantastic.

I don't think that they could really stop anyone from "sneaking into" the pool, but I don't think it's a major concern, either. Just take the same precautions that you would anywhere else.

Mike
Old May 2, 06, 2:24 pm

I will be bringing my family with 3 young'uns and had 2 questions:
1. Do they either have rooms with 2 Queens or kid's suites? If they only have 2 Doubles, then we won't be able to fit in the room. I found a review at http://hotels.about.com/cs/orlando/a...grandcyp_2.htm that refers to kid's suites with bunk beds. We have enjoyed the kid's suites at the HR Orange County many times.

2. Also, is there an age limit on the waterslides? My kids are 4, 2, and 1.

Thanks! This will be my last year as diamond (ugh!) and I intend to go out with a bang!
Old May 2, 06, 2:39 pm

There definitely are kids suites. Why don't you give the diamond line or the hotel a call about them? I've never seen them listed on the reservations page.

I don't know about the age limit on the water slide, but they may be just a little to large for anything but the 4 year old, and that may be too young.
Old May 2, 06, 4:49 pm

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
Slide...

The main slide is VERY fast and the pool is always cold (not heated), so only for the brave of heart in December. Yeah, yeah I still would not miss a chance to go down!

What is great, they have 1 heated pool (where you will see all the people) and a little slide there. That slide is NOT manned (although they can view from the towel bar) and little kids can go on it.
Old Nov 15, 06, 10:37 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Well, I've been to the Grand Cypress during Halloween week and I think there ain't anything to add to what others before have posted.

Rooms are getting tired if they are compared to newer properties in Orlando. Too bad they assigned us a non-view room right next to the elevator. Would have been nice to have a pool view instead of the garden view. Have had a room which was already equiped with the Grand bed. Public spaces are still great. Too bad the bigger part of the pool is not heated. Service was friendly in any department: The roommaid Amy was especially great. Didn't eat there in the evenings since La Coquina was closed except for two evenings and it had a menu fixe which did not appeal to us. We however had a few lunches at their deli style poolside place. Did not like the fact they don't have a Starbucks outlet on property. That was always a nice surplus at the JW Marriott or the World Center Marriott.

Conclusion: Still a nice hotel yet if one of the Marriotts won't be sold out next time, I think I will return to one of those. The rooms at those are spectacular compared to this Hyatt. I was disappointed by the room we were assigned despite the fact that the hotel was far from being full. Also do these feature public spaces as nice as the Hyatt's and they heat their main pools in the off-summer months. Also possible that I'm going to try the Omni Championsgate which unfortunately has a bad location.
Old Dec 27, 06, 7:28 pm

The rooms are all basically the same except for the xx09 rooms which are a little larger & have 2 bathrooms.

I have a particular affinity for the rooms on 17 (any of them). They consider that the penhouse floor and it's at the narrowest part of the building. I believe there are only 6 or 8 rooms in each wing. It's nice & quiet up there.

I've never ordered the room service.

The entire pool area is great. The lounges with cushions are a recent welcome addition.

I wish I could be more specific re: room numbers but I seem to have drawn a complete blank tonight. I always ask for a room facing the pool or lake. I don't care for the rooms that face Rte 535 (the front of the hotel). While they are not noisy you can still here some road noise. I prefer the quiet of the other side of the building.

I'm headed there tomorrow and will report back if you have any other questions.

You can also do a search. I know I've started a few threads with reviews.

Last edited by Mary2e; Dec 27, 06 at 7:45 pm Reason: fix room number

Search this Thread
Search Engine: