Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Cypress Regency (Orlando) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Cypress Regency (Orlando) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:41 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Normally got a normal (Executive) suite there, once the VIP one.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
Great recent feedback so I was hoping to sneak in a couple other questions:

Have an upcoming points stay as a Diamond and first time guests to the property. We can certainly deal with a basic room, however, any thoughts on what suite(s) would be a reasonable upgrade to ask for would be appreciated. Not knowing the property I don't want to ask for something unreasonable. We stay much more often at Coconut Point and seem to get the Bay Suite no matter what rate we book. But we also have a 10 year history with the property and know a lot of the key staff. We're going in completely blind on this one

Second, what (if any) level of PFD/lifejacket is required to take any of their watercraft out on their private lake? We are big boating safety people but could never find this clarified anywhere. Have 2 small kids if that makes a difference.

Thanks folks for any feedback.
As someone else mentioned, it's nearly impossible here to get a suite here without using a DSU. It's not because the staff doesn't try hard or anything like that. I think the staff is fantastic. It's just that it's a very popular hotel with families, especially since kids can play all day at Disney or the pool while mom and/or dad goes to a nearby convention. This is definitely a property where you should use a DSU if you truly want a suite.

Unfortunately, I cannot answer the question about life jackets. I imagine that the hotel has some available. That little lake is a fun place in which to splash around in a canoe or paddleboat. I think your children will very much enjoy this property.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I am so happy to hear the positive experience again at this property! I abandoned it years ago and now that there's a new GM it may be time to try it again.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
Second, what (if any) level of PFD/lifejacket is required to take any of their watercraft out on their private lake? We are big boating safety people but could never find this clarified anywhere. Have 2 small kids if that makes a difference.

Thanks folks for any feedback.
They have lots and lots and lots of life jackets there for use for the boating activities, and there is no additional charge for them (unless perhaps you don't return them?).

They also require kids below a certain age (or maybe it was height) to have life jackets on (and a band) if wanting to use the waterslide. No additional charge for that. These seem to be the same life jackets for boating and for the pool/waterslide. We pick them up by the food/drink-selling hut down between the pool and the lake beach with the bicycles/boats. Last I was there a few months ago, there were preschool-aged kids out on the four person paddle boats, some probably still in diapers. They had borrowed life jackets from the hotel.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 14, 2015 at 3:49 pm
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Super helpful info ^^^

Looking forward to the trip (<2 weeks) and will report back in terms of the value proposition here vs. Coconut Point (our normal escape)
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Went ahead and changed to a paid stay in order to use a DSU per the above advice. They confirmed the Executive Suite but indicated that the resort "isn't all that busy" so we'll keep our fingers crossed for something better.

Great feedback above and much appreciated, will report back after the fact.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I am so happy to hear the positive experience again at this property! I abandoned it years ago and now that there's a new GM it may be time to try it again.
Nothing really changed over the last years.

Your comments back in the days were a bit exaggerated, the Grand Cypress was never really that bad, they had some issues (some nice people retired, they outsourced accounting to India, the renovated rooms were a massive change in style, parking charges etc) but under the bottom line it was always a very solid 4 Diamond option with nice pools, massive grounds, a solid RC and a good Tennis Center.

In recent years, the competition upped the ante, so the Grand Cypress had to try harder to get all kinds of guests, ranging from conventions to Diamonds expecting a suite for free.

Still a good option in town, but now we have more choices to choose from.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Originally Posted by FD1971
Nothing really changed over the last years.

Your comments back in the days were a bit exaggerated, the Grand Cypress was never really that bad, they had some issues (some nice people retired, they outsourced accounting to India, the renovated rooms were a massive change in style, parking charges etc) but under the bottom line it was always a very solid 4 Diamond option with nice pools, massive grounds, a solid RC and a good Tennis Center.

In recent years, the competition upped the ante, so the Grand Cypress had to try harder to get all kinds of guests, ranging from conventions to Diamonds expecting a suite for free.

Still a good option in town, but now we have more choices to choose from.
I agree with you 100%. We have been regulars there for years and have ALWAYS had great service. I guess you just can't please everyone.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:30 am

I used to be their biggest fan. Until they got a new GM and I refused to go back. My entire saga was posted in this thread.

I was not hard on the hotel, nor did I demand anything such as suite upgrades or the like. It's actually a great property.

I'm now going to consider it again since the GM is gone. The property is as described, but I don't need to be insulted by the GM or the staff, only to find that I'm right and receive no apology.

But that's water under the bridge. I look forward to trying it again if it meets my requirements for that particular trip. Since I now have a friend working at Disney, it's actually less expensive for me to stay onsite than at the Hyatt.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:37 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond AA Platinum
Mary2,
We had the same issues. Stayed here 4-6 times a year and never made a request but when we had an issue (2 tiimes), we always felt belittled. Recently stayed at a few other properties and will give Grand Cypress a try again this year. Although we did a quick overnighter and had a tough experience again, but not on the hotel as much as a single person at the front desk that made life miserable.

I will say, that the resort fee at this hotel, that gives you virtually nothing except for internet that you get for free for being Diamond is attrocious.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:07 am

Agree. Between the resort fee and parking, for now, it's either less expensive or only slightly more to stay onsite at Disney.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Agree. Between the resort fee and parking, for now, it's either less expensive or only slightly more to stay onsite at Disney
h

That's assuming a guest would want to stay on site. I'm a native Central Floridian. I moved away many years ago but it will be a cold day in h*ll before I'd ever go to Disney (by choice). I'm not the only childfree adult who feels this way. Furthermore, the Grand Cypress is head and shoulders above almost every single hotel on Disney property. The pool alone is much, much nicer than anything on Disney property. The new Four Seasons is gorgeous but it's usually triple the price of the Grand Cypress.

Resort fees and parking fees are charged at almost every single resort hotel in Orlando. The Grand Cypress is not unique in these respects.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
h

That's assuming a guest would want to stay on site. I'm a native Central Floridian. I moved away many years ago but it will be a cold day in h*ll before I'd ever go to Disney (by choice). I'm not the only childfree adult who feels this way. Furthermore, the Grand Cypress is head and shoulders above almost every single hotel on Disney property. The pool alone is much, much nicer than anything on Disney property. The new Four Seasons is gorgeous but it's usually triple the price of the Grand Cypress.

Resort fees and parking fees are charged at almost every single resort hotel in Orlando. The Grand Cypress is not unique in these respects.
But many of them are offering their Diamonds something. This hotel really offers virtually nothing except $5 off a resort fee.

With so much competition for the luxury resorts in the area, this hotel does not stack up for my needs (We are childless adults too).
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TheTourVan
But many of them are offering their Diamonds something. This hotel really offers virtually nothing except $5 off a resort fee.

With so much competition for the luxury resorts in the area, this hotel does not stack up for my needs (We are childless adults too).
This might be the subject of a separate thread post.....I'm not aware of hotels 'offering' Diamonds any special perks. I read about special unwritten Diamond treatment at certain properties but have never seen a hotel target Diamonds with stated perks. Maybe I'm just unaware
Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
So my plan is to do the Elite Tier Offer this summer and reach Diamond status in a month. My family has a trip planned to Orlando in August that I would love to use my DSU for. However I have two concerns:

1 - That the suites will sell out before I reach Diamond. I mean it is still summer time so families are still doing their summer vacations.
2 - IF I can get one of the Exec or VIP suites, will they let me pay the rate for the adjoining room to make a 2 bedroom suite. We need 2 rooms for our trip. Actually, I would like to just pay the regular rate for a room and get Diamond status upgrade for the adjoining room since it's technically not a suite by itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.