Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Cypress Regency (Orlando) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Cypress Regency (Orlando) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2003, 11:23 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
And as far as Self Parking, yes it is free. The lot is off to the side of the main hotel but close enough to the building not to be a big bother. I have been at many resorts where there definately was a 'fee' for self parking (i.e. my recent stay at the Westin Diplomat & Spa- where self parkings cost $12 per day!).
Old Feb 10, 2004, 7:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, United Premier
HR Grand Cypress-Recent Stay

Just made a reservation for an executive suite for my wife & I and two teenage boys. Havent been to the Grand Cypress in several years...is the Regency Club still as good as it was...say 4 years ago? How are the Executive Suites? Appreciate any info on recent stays...Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2004, 8:38 am

I just stayed there two weeks ago on a FFN. Check in was not as smooth as most hotels. We were assigned a standard room on the regency club level with a lake view. I would probably ask for a pool view if we ever go back. I found it very strange that they had an Asian theme in the public areas, but the room was very much country in decor. The landscaping and pool area are very nice. The public areas reminded us very much of the Maui Hyatt Regency.

For the day we went to the club, they had COLD/chilled chicken wings and really horrible fried dumplings. They didn't even use a food warmer, which I found odd. The attendants went around asking everyone's room number which we found more intrusive than simply having a sign in sheet at the door. We were asked our room number three times by two different people within 5 minutes. I don't see why people think this club is one of the best in the country.

I think I got food poisoned because for the next two days, I had a fever and felt nauseous. It ruined our Disney weekend because I wasn't well enough to walk around. Unfortunately, the next night we were staying at the Grand Hyatt in Tampa, so it was too far for my friend to go to WDW on his own while I stayed in bed.

It's not likely that I will ever go back there, but I can see why some people like it. The Swan is still my favorite hotel while visiting Disney.

Edited to add.... As a Diamond, we were given the option to not pay the resort fee if we were not planning on using any of their amenities. Also, the parking valet and bell staff were very quick.

[This message has been edited by Tummy (edited Feb 11, 2004).]
Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:27 am
Suspended

We actually had two great stays there last October and enjoyed the Regency Club food both times.

Breakfast is your usual expanded cont. breakfast you find in most Regency Clubs.
Not as good as Scottsdale for example, but very solid.Salmon was of good quality, service was great, no empty bowls at all.

During the day they offered the usual cookies and beverages and in the evening they changed the hot snacks every day, but always offered a nice salad.

The after dinner pralines were top notch, can remember a guy from Asia who bunkered about 30 pralines from the nicely presented "Etagerie" and went straight to his room.A desperate, but smart move.
Actually the very same guy was using the club with his family and his toddler and the staff made sure that they feel at home.

We played cards for about two hours and the staff made sure we were not thirsty.Great service, being there for several hours, I could witness the Concierge constantly helping out several guys and even a stranded traveler on the phone.Apparently he was misconnected and was actually looking for another "non Hyatt" property, Concierge made sure that he got the right directions !

[This message has been edited by Threy (edited Feb 11, 2004).]
Old Feb 11, 2004, 1:42 pm

This is also one of the very few US Hyatt RC's that do not charge for alcholic beverages. When checking in, have the desk tell you what is included in the resort fee. I wasn't told of any of the benefits and thus missed out on the bikes, water sports etc, assuming there were additional charges for their usage.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 9:54 pm

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
Had a very nice stay last March during the week while I was in Orlando for a conference. Sunday afternoon arrival with glass of champagne.

I was given a nice Regency club room with 2 bathrooms, 1 with shower and 1 with bath. A bit wasted for 1 person but nice for a couple or family.

Club was very nice with shrimp and crab appetizers on Sunday night, smoked salmon and a very nice homemade granola for breakfast and nice appetizers and some drink in the later afternoon, early evening.

There is some 24 hour jacuzzis and a nice pool area and by the looks of it, sailboats, bikes, and other facilities althought not sure if they require additional payments or not since did not have much time. The only complaint was that they did not have high speed internet then.

Old Mar 19, 2004, 7:49 am

Personally I stay away from the Grand Cypress property (and I'm a Diamond) becuase of their obnoxious "Resort Fee" they want to charge for services that should be included. In fact they can never quite get it right what the fee covers if you ask. I have stayed several times at the Villas and Grand Cypress, which is on the other end of the property (and otherwise unaffiliated with the Hyatt). They too try to charge the resort fee, but the manager and I had a discussion, and it never shows up on my bills. The Villas are oversized units - even the smallest "studios" feature a bedroom and a step down living room with sleeper sofa. On my recent visits we have stayed at Portofino Bay or the Hard Rock at Universal. Pricing is much more competitive than the Disney resorts, and with both you get unlimited front of the line rights at Universal; just show your room key and step right up to the front of the line! At Hard Rock you can stay on their club floor, wake up at a leisurely hour, have a nice breakfast in the club lounge, and then walk to the front gate of the parks, which is about a 5-7 minute walk. You can't do that at Disney. Portofino is a bit further; you need to ride their water shuttle (or a bus). So despite my loyalty to Hyatt, I can't recommend Grand Cypress.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 4:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
The Grand Cypress is my favourite Hyatt in the USA. The resort fee is annoying, but it does include free golf (on site mini par 3) bikes, and pedal and sail boats. Its funny we go to Orlando a couple of times per year and rarely go to Disney. In Orlando we would rather spend a day or two at the Grand Cypress enjoying the facilities.

The Grand Cypress regemcy club is my favourite US club. Free drinks (don't see that at to many US regency clubs) and snacks all day long. Great place to hang out.

You can't go wrong staying at the Grand Cypress. I do agree though, if you are going to do a lot of activities outside of the hotel, I am not sure if it would be worth the extra hundred or two.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 6:55 am

Just got back from a stay here and once again I was not disappointed. As a Diamond I was given a room (1172) on RC floor, amenity delivered promptly (champagne & fresh fruit as well as the 'welcome' glass of champagne at check in. This time, I did ask what the resort fee was for, and had it explained to me (bikes, boats, mini golf etc). (The last time no one told me, and I sat on the beach looking longingly at the bikes/boats--figuring they would be some wildly pricey extra cost). I did take some pics, and will post them when I get back to my office on Monday. This is one of the very few Hyatts in the US with FREE (not an honor bar) drinks during the evening in the RC. Additionally the breakfast buffet in the RC is outstanding, and they leave out snacks, and beverages during the day--so I do believe it is worthwhile, although as a Diamond I don't have to pay. Upon check out they gave me a coupon for $100 off resort services (dining, reg golf etc) for my next 2 day or more stay.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 3:57 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by goingnow:
What room type does a Diamond need to reserve to GUARANTEE the RC access?</font>
Normally Diamonds would be given RC access, although since it is a resort it is ultimately up to them. I've never heard of this hotel denying access to a GP Diamond.

To answer your question: In order to GUARANTEE RC access you would have to book a RC room.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 6:01 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by vector:
Great pix. What is room 1172 classified as? </font>
Not sure, it looks pretty standard--but I assume it was an upgrade as I'm a Diamond, although last time I was given a view of the pool/lake area and this time of Disney. Not sure which is the 'preferred' view. On the floorplan map (back of the door), all rooms on the floor, except for 2 suites appear to be about the same size.

Old May 1, 2004, 4:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, United Premier
Question HR Grand Cypress Regency Club - Recent Stays

Heading to the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress in Lake Buena Vista, Florida, next month...Regency Club suite reservation.

Haven't been to Grand Cypress Regency Club in about 3 years. Is the club as nice as it was a few years ago? How are the food, service, drinks, etc.? We found it to be, in our opinion, the BEST Regency club...next to Kauai...

Thanks.
Old May 2, 2004, 8:32 pm

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
Stayed there last October. Was VERY pleasantly surprised by the Regency Club. Decent breakfast's as well as cocktails and nibbles at night.
Much appreciated by my 15 year old son with a bottomless pit for a stomach.
Old May 8, 2004, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I'm there now.

Breakfast is excellent for what I want (fruit, yogurt, bagels, lox).
Cookies are very nice.
It seems like evening snacks are not quite the same level they used to be, but are not shabby.
Excellent service.
Old May 9, 2004, 7:05 am

Not to be a nag, but do a search on Hyatt for this hotel as I've posted some pics of the rooms, grounds & RC club here. Yes, the evening snacks are not quite what they used to be, but it is still one of the very few Hyatts in the US where beer & wine are complimentary (not sure about other alcoholic drinks??).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.