Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort and Spa (Albuquerque) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort and Spa (Albuquerque) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Seems like there are some award nights available now. Anybody stayed recently? I'm curious how things are with Covid? (I ask, because I just look at the HH Carsbad, and they say the pool is closed indefinitely due to COVID. Uh, it's an outdoor pool!)
Old Jan 8, 2022, 11:19 pm

Bumping this one up because I'm curious about current Globalist breakfast offering.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I had a week long stay here over Spring Break.
1. Used a TSU for the standard suite. The suite was rather good sized for a week -- It's just basically two standard sized rooms. Living room has basic couch, chairs, TV, desk spaces and a full bathroom. To either side a 'standard room' is opened up. I did like having two showers. We had views dead on to the Sandia mountains, but were pretty far down that wing so it was a long walk through multiple doors and turns to get there. Anyways, decent room placement.

2. The housekeepers use a very strong smelling cleaning solution. Did not like that. We were pre-emptively opted in for daily housekeeping, which they did for the first 3 days, but then they didn't come at all the last 3 days (during which, the hotel was getting noticeably busier due to a conference).

3. Did not care for the hotel-branded shampoo and conditioner. Too strong smelling of mint.

4. The furnishings and rooms do feel old and worn. Not a big deal for me (as long as it is clean), but the hardware doesn't match the premium pricing this place charges in peak seasons.

5. Breakfast was in the Santa Ana restaurant and was 8AM-2PM (brunch menu). Wednesday had a buffet, but all other days was just a la carte. I really wish they opened sooner as 8AM is a late breakfast for me, even on vacation. They were also always slow seating people, and most days, when we get there, we had to wait 10 minutes just for them to seat everyone in line in front of us (and they weren't that particularly busy). The food was quite good though, and the service was excellent. We had the same server most of the week and he was very good and attentive, remembering our preferences and drinks by the third day. All breakfast charges were waived without issue and we spent something like $80 each day. Didn't matter what we ordered, it was waived (we opted for 'lunch' entrees like the trout or burgers several times).

6. Hot tub was working, and though always had a few people in it we had no problem on our stay finding our way in there. Pools were heated but the weather was chilly enough that I didn't swim in it (though, quite a few people were enjoying the water)

7. We were going to go horseback riding but then saw they had a weight limit of 235 lbs. I'm a tad heavier than that, could have probably fibbed, but I didn't want to strain some poor old rescue horse. We did ride the bikes up to the stables and said our hellos to some of them.

8. I really liked this location. Downtown Albuquerque was 20 minutes south, Sante Fe was 40 minutes north. IMO, old town Sante Fe felt like any old tourist site. For every true art gallery there was three stores selling trinkets and the same old mass-produced touristy goods you'd find in Waikiki, Grant St Chinatown SF, etc etc. Only thing I really enjoyed there was Meow Wolf. Back areas of quieter old town Albuquerque ended up being where we found much more interesting things in terms of art and artist. Several trail heads going up the Sandia mountains were just 15 minutes west (we did a hike most of the way to the top). We had plenty to do for the week and this location was a pretty good spot to launch from.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
What are current options for dinner on property? The internet suggests that Corn Maiden is permanently closed.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dkc192
What are current options for dinner on property? The internet suggests that Corn Maiden is permanently closed.
Following. That would be a real shame if the Corn Maiden didn’t survive COVID.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
Originally Posted by dpb132
Following. That would be a real shame if the Corn Maiden didn’t survive COVID.
Pretty sure Corn Maiden is gone. I was there in January and no sign of it. Looked like they turned the space into an event space (weddings, conferences, etc).
Old Jul 17, 2022, 6:26 pm

We stayed here for a single night on the 7/9 and then 3 nights from 7/13-16. As a globalist staying on points, I received an email before our stay and I responded with a request for a higher floor room with a view of the mountains. We received a 2nd floor room for the single night stay and a 3rd floor room with a TSU for the 3-night stay (it was exactly as MarkOk described). Both were in the Turquoise Wing with a view of the mountains but in first hallway before the courtyard and not too far down. The resort was mostly full for both stays and had no additional suites available, e.g. my brother and father, who are also globalists, did not get suite upgrades.

We all enjoyed the resort and, while I've never stayed before, it seemed to be mostly back to pre-Covid status, e.g. breakfast buffet every morning (contrary to the attached info sheet), lots of activities, a country singer in the bar on Friday night, etc. While the staff wore masks, and it was recommended for guests, the vast majority of guests did not.

Our combined family of 11 ate breakfast at the resort all 4 mornings and enjoyed the food. There were some unique offerings, plus an omelette station on Saturday (that I didn't notice other mornings). At check-in, I was told that globalists could choose breakfast in the restaurant, Santa Ana Cafe (either buffet or a la carte), in-room dining, or from the Trading Post, and all would be reimbursed. We also ate dinner at Santa Ana Cafe one night and the food was good, if not a little pricey. Corn Maiden is definitely not open.

I'm attaching some current flyers they provided. I'll be happy to try and answer any questions.

iahphx, dpb132, antonius66 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 11:10 am

For the many who appear to be interested, I specifically asked the staff on property about corn maiden and the definitive answer was that they are reopening it in the future. They have redone the interior and are definitely planning on reopening it they say.
dpb132 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I want to thank the recent posters who gave us some idea of what to expect now at this resort. This was my 3rd time staying here (in more than a decade), and my first as a globalist. I like the hotel -- especially as a globalist. The "anything you want for breakfast" was fun, especially since you can basically get lunch instead if you want to. The food overall at the Santa Ana Cafe is good, but not great. The options are a bit limited, but if you ask nicely, you can get some variations. Like the menu only offers chicken enchiladas, but they'll do other meat fillings if you want (for a small upcharge, that you won't pay anyway). We always ordered an appetizer (like soup or chile strips) just to try these New Mexican dishes, but didn't do both juice and coffee because at $8 and $6 each, we didn't want to run up the tab too much (not that I think it would have been a problem, though).

The only problem with eating lunch food for breakfast is you run out of things to eat at the hotel restaurant for dinner (pretty much the same menu). We solved that problem by going to the Rt. 550 strip and getting some takeout, which we ate on the scenic patio of the still-closed Corn Maiden restaurant. The problem with this is that it takes awhile to drive to that congested street (almost 15 minutes), so it's not the most pleasant thing in the world. The best takeout food we found was at La Casita in Bernalillo (I'd recommend the stuffed sopapilla or Indian taco), but watch out -- they close early (a New Mexican thing, for sure).

The grounds of the hotel are very peaceful and nice: we also rode the complimentary bikes to the stables, and did the walk down to the Rio Grande a few times. Nice swimming pools, and the whirlpool, steam room and sauna at the spa are free for globalists.

They did not have a suite to upgrade me, so they simply gave us two connecting rooms when I asked for an upgrade (we had our daughter with us). I've never had a hotel do that for me before, and I thought it was quite nice (occupany of the resort was low in early September).

As far as planning goes, the hotel is basically in an exurb of Albuquerque (the Route 550 sprawl is the end of the northern sprawl, and the hotel's location is peaceful). You could certainly visit the sites of ABQ from the hotel if you wanted to, but ABQ probably isn't exactly what most tourists are looking to focus on. Santa Fe would be a doable day trip, but I think you're better off staying in Santa Fe to see that area. And then you probably also want to spend at least a couple days in Taos. For this reason, I'd recommend 2 and preferably 3 nights (and 2 full days) at the Tamaya resort (since there's not that much of interest outside of the hotel in the immediate area) and then move on.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 8:07 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Quick review:

Stayed here 3 nights as Globalist. Booked into a conference suite, upgraded to the VIP suite. Gorgeous room, warm and smartly furnished -- reminds us more of a Park Hyatt feel than a Hyatt Regency. We were on the 4th floor, dead center of the property, and had sweeping views of the grounds and mountains each morning from 3 separate balconies. Lovely property, enjoyed nice runs in the morning along the Rio Grande. Full breakfast comped each day for family of four. Minor construction seems to be going in on the conference wing, did not disturb us at all. Starbucks in the lobby each morning was very much appreciated. Lounge and Corn Maiden (the hotel's signature restaurant) are still closed without a reopening date; a shame, although even without them open, this place may well be the best use of a 1-4 cert in the continental US (takes over my previous top spot, the Tempe Mission Palms.)

We braved the pool/water slide despite high 50s/low 60s degree weather -- it was c-c-c-old! But the warm water that feeds the heated pool comes from the water slide, so as long as you stayed underwater, it wasn't too bad. Equipment for tennis, biking, etc all provided on site. Wanted to go horseback riding, but they cancelled our ride that day because it was "too windy" -- whatever.

Oddly enough, the laundry bags have Marriott branding, though I don't think this property was ever part of the Luxury Collection -- what's up with that?

Old Apr 15, 2023, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Quick review:

Stayed here 3 nights as Globalist. Booked into a conference suite, upgraded to the VIP suite. Gorgeous room, warm and smartly furnished -- reminds us more of a Park Hyatt feel than a Hyatt Regency. We were on the 4th floor, dead center of the property, and had sweeping views of the grounds and mountains each morning from 3 separate balconies. Lovely property, enjoyed nice runs in the morning along the Rio Grande. Full breakfast comped each day for family of four. Minor construction seems to be going in on the conference wing, did not disturb us at all. Starbucks in the lobby each morning was very much appreciated. Lounge and Corn Maiden (the hotel's signature restaurant) are still closed without a reopening date; a shame, although even without them open, this place may well be the best use of a 1-4 cert in the continental US (takes over my previous top spot, the Tempe Mission Palms.)

We braved the pool/water slide despite high 50s/low 60s degree weather -- it was c-c-c-old! But the warm water that feeds the heated pool comes from the water slide, so as long as you stayed underwater, it wasn't too bad. Equipment for tennis, biking, etc all provided on site. Wanted to go horseback riding, but they cancelled our ride that day because it was "too windy" -- whatever.

Oddly enough, the laundry bags have Marriott branding, though I don't think this property was ever part of the Luxury Collection -- what's up with that?
Any pics of the room at all? Would love to see pics of the room more than your laundry bags!
Old Apr 17, 2023, 5:25 am

Sorry, didn't get to snap any room pics, but it looks very much like the website photos!
Old Oct 29, 2023, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I completed a 5-night stay here in mid-September but just getting around to writing a review. The hotel was dead quiet during our visit so we may not have had a typical experience but I liked everything about the hotel except my experience with the front desk.

Booking
I booked a three night reservation and then decided to add two additional nights, all on points (12k for four nights and 9k for one night). Rates were around $240/nt so right on the threshold I seek of 2 cents per point.

I had applied a TSU to my three night reservation and when I added on the last two nights was advised only the fourth night would be available and I’d have to move to a regular room for the fifth. I decided to go with it tho it didn’t quite end up working out as I expected.

Room (Pics below)
I had the Executive Suite for my first three nights and a base room for my last two (I will get back to this later).

The Executive Suite was courtyard-view; a bit dated but very clean. There’s no door between the living room and bedroom. The foldout couch seemed decently comfortable. We had a small patio with a couple of chairs. No issues at all.

For our last two nights we moved to a base room. The biggest issue with this room was we could plainly hear our neighbor - any sort of sneeze, television noise, etc was plainly audible. White noise mostly solved it but it was surprisingly bad.

Food
I thought the breakfast was great. My family is still talking about the breakfast potatoes. They were excellent (more like wedge cut fries). The breakfast crew was very kind and attentive. Most days there were only a handful of other tables, we typically sat outside under the heaters which was plenty warm in September. Our last day saw a buffet which we enjoyed.

We had dinner on property the night we arrived and it was really pleasant to be outside dining with the Sandia mountains as our backdrop. There were some relatively healthy options, service was very friendly, food tasty, and the beer was even cheaper than street pricing back home in DC.

Pool and Amenities
Most days there was absolutely no one at the pool, however they’d cheerfully turn on the waterslide when my son and I wanted to use it. The slide was fast and fun, not super long but it was fun. The pools were heated and pleasant. The hot tub was HOT. Again, probably not a typically experience since the resort was dead quiet but we had a great time at the pool.

We also borrowed (free) single speed bikes to ride around the trails on property. You can probably do 3-4 miles across the various trails. It’s completely flat and was fun.

We meant to do the horseback riding but ran out of time. There was a bread-baking class and they give out the finished product in the lobby, it was very tasty with jam and butter. Also, the front desk has (free) s’mores kits for use at the fire pits… very nice!

It is a bit isolated. I’m a big walker but you really can’t walk anywhere from this property (except around the property). It is convenient to be between Santa Fe and ABQ. Of everything we did in our five days here, my favorite was the drive to Santa Fe via Valles Caldera National Preserve. Our Uber driver from ABQ recommended this and I found the scenery stunning. My son had been learning about the Manhattan Project which is why we made the drive to Los Alamos.. the scenery really made it the highlight. We did Bandelier National Monument on the return which was also beautiful.

We also did a day trip to Santa Fe via the RailRunner which has a station not far from the hotel. That was fun, I felt I only needed an afternoon in Santa Fe itself.

My only complaint was in how the room change was handled
I knew going in I only had the suite for four nights and the room for the last night. No problem.

However, when we arrived the front desk said we’d have one suite for the first three nights, then move to another suite the fourth night, and then to another room the fifth night. They could not seem to figure out a way to keep us in one suite for four nights (the four nights were during the week so no weekends in the way).

The app showed Junior Suites available for the whole stay so I asked if we could downgrade to a Junior Suite for the stay. Nope, not possible.

We settled on keeping the suite for the first three nights and then moving to a regular room the last two.

Now the hotel was DEAD during our stay. We truly barely saw any other guests at the hotel. When the morning of the room switch came, I asked if we could move right from the suite to the room. Nope, checkout is 11am and checkin is 3pm. I asked for a late checkout - nope. Early checkin - nope. So we had to pack everything up, store it with the desk and then move it back into the new room. Note - the app showed virtually every room type (including the jr suites) available for sale. We were put in a bottom floor, no-view room for the last two nights.

I might be spoiled by hotels normally working with me as a Globalist but I just felt the hotel was not very accommodating about the room change considering we hardly saw any other guests. I’m not a complainer but that left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

Aside from the front desk, everyone else at the hotel was lovely and welcoming which made it even more noticeable.

Still, if I were to be back in the area I’d return. Pictures below

Suite: living room

Suite: living room wet bar

Suite: bathroom

Suite: bedroom

View to Sandia mountains from dinner

Fire pit

S’mores kits are free at the front desk!

Walking trails on property to the Rio Grande

Omelet and excellent potatoes

Blue corn pancakes

Huevos Cerillos (excellent)

Fruit plate
MaldivesGoal likes this.

Last edited by River in Sight; Oct 29, 2023 at 4:52 pm
Old Oct 30, 2023, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by River in Sight
My only complaint was in how the room change was handled
Thanks for the detailed review. I stayed here a few times pre-COVID and really liked it, but the then-GM decamped for one of the Vail properties and it seems the place has been slowly sliding backwards since (no more Corn Maiden restaurant, renovations that don’t seem to have markedly improved the hard product, customer service anecdotes like these, etc.).

They really should have worked with you on a better solution. This is probably worth a note to Hyatt corporate.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by dpb132
Thanks for the detailed review. I stayed here a few times pre-COVID and really liked it, but the then-GM decamped for one of the Vail properties and it seems the place has been slowly sliding backwards since (no more Corn Maiden restaurant, renovations that don’t seem to have markedly improved the hard product, customer service anecdotes like these, etc.).

They really should have worked with you on a better solution. This is probably worth a note to Hyatt corporate.
Agreed; it simply is not acceptable to have a Globalist in the basest room on the property if there are several other "upgrades" (i.e. view, high floor) available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.