Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Buffalo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Buffalo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 12, 2021, 12:42 pm

Was looking into this property for a weekend trip to Niagara this summer, looks like they're taking reservations starting in March. Kind of leery all of a sudden, reading the above...
Old Jul 7, 2021, 4:41 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
According to the Hyatt site, re-opening August 1st.

As per this report, the new owner plans to renovate and open „at the beginning of next year“ (i.e. 2022) under the Hyatt flag.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/lo...7-1c6a77ad66b5

BUFFALO, N.Y. — Nik Fattey looks across Roosevelt Square and thinks about what was and what could be again.

As the owner of Fattey Beer Co. in downtown Buffalo, he said he's thrilled about the prospect of Douglas Jemal reopening the Hyatt Regency Buffalo, closed since March 2020. Jemal is working through the legal foreclosure process in New York State Supreme Court to assume ownership of the 396-room hotel, a process that could be completed within the next 60 days, said Terrence Gilbride, a Hodgson Russ LLP partner and Jemal's attorney for the Hyatt transaction.“The Hyatt is huge for us,” Fattey said. “The traffic we get from the Hyatt is very real.”

Read the full story from our partners at Buffalo Business First.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 59Impala
According to the Hyatt site, re-opening August 1st.

As per this report, the new owner plans to renovate and open at the beginning of next year (i.e. 2022) under the Hyatt flag.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/lo...7-1c6a77ad66b5
I hope they would get rid of the shower tub combos.
59Impala and Yoshi212 like this.

Last edited by Aventine; Jul 7, 2021 at 7:08 am
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Anyone stayed here recently at all? Going to be here for the weekend for the Wings game on monday. The bills also happen to be playing Saturday night, so I imagine the city will be pretty alive, but at 8k hyatt points it was a great redemption. Looks like there's plenty to do within walking distance/the metro rail.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 11:23 am

Well, just finished my stay. Some thoughts:

-Arrived Saturday at 6pm, tons of people were without rooms - there was a "large group" that had just left (which I would later find out was the NE Patrioits)

-The wifi was probably the worst I have ever experienced from any hotel. It was abyssmal - speedtest, when it would work, said 1.25 down and 0.13 up. I overheard people asking about it while checking in and was told that it was "due to people streaming". It was bad. It wasn't an in-room problem either, the main lobby was not much better.

-The first night I was there (Saturday) , there was a dog barking in it's room on our floor from 1130pm until at least 130 am. The owners were nowhere to be found. I pretty much met all of my floor neighbors - everyone was upset. We believe the owners went out to the Bills game and didn't get back til late. Security was sent up, but all they did was verify our claims. I mentioned it again at checkout and was given 3,000 points for the inconvenience, but some of the floor residents were really upset.

-We were upgraded to a suite I believe - I'm not sure which one based on the room descriptions. The actual room itself was nice, with a huge (65-70") TV,

-Breakfast portions were very small for the price. I ordered pancakes (16 I think) with a side of bacon ($3) and hashbrowns ($3), and it was about half the size of what you would get at iHop.

-Breakfast is served in the atrium, which is fairly exposed to the elements so it was very chilly - a blizzard had just started. I didn't mind it, but my wife was pretty cold despite being bundled.

-Hotel staff was generally pleasant.

Overall I love the location, we had a very short walk in the blizzard to the buffalo taphouse and big ditch brewing company, as well as easy access to the metro train to head down to the arena for the Wings/Sabers game. I would consider staying here again, but the internet would have to be usable.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BThumme
Well, just finished my stay. Some thoughts:

-The wifi was probably the worst I have ever experienced from any hotel. It was abyssmal - speedtest, when it would work, said 1.25 down and 0.13 up. I overheard people asking about it while checking in and was told that it was "due to people streaming". It was bad. It wasn't an in-room problem either, the main lobby was not much better.

-The first night I was there (Saturday) , there was a dog barking in it's room on our floor from 1130pm until at least 130 am. The owners were nowhere to be found. I pretty much met all of my floor neighbors - everyone was upset. We believe the owners went out to the Bills game and didn't get back til late. Security was sent up, but all they did was verify our claims. I mentioned it again at checkout and was given 3,000 points for the inconvenience, but some of the floor residents were really upset.

-We were upgraded to a suite I believe - I'm not sure which one based on the room descriptions. The actual room itself was nice, with a huge (65-70") TV,
I remember just using my LTE during my last stay. The internet was beyond bad. This hotel allows dogs in the rooms now?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
I remember just using my LTE during my last stay. The internet was beyond bad. This hotel allows dogs in the rooms now?
Well, one of two things.

Either yes, they do, or:

They don't, but they allow service/support animals, although if that's the case, you aren't supposed to leave them behind. You know, because they are service pets. You'd think if that was the case maybe there was an issue with the owner and someone should have unlocked the room to investigate to make sure the owner was okay.

Fairly or unfairly, the floor consensus was that the owner(s) traveled for the BIlls game and left them in the room for the night. Problem is every time the elevator dinged, or made a noise, or a door was opened/shut, it went crazy.

In regards to the internet - if I was there for business, I would have legitimately had to find another hotel. Crazy you had problems as well, which makes it seems like it's a bigger issue and not a one-off.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BThumme
Well, one of two things.

Either yes, they do, or:

They don't, but they allow service/support animals, although if that's the case, you aren't supposed to leave them behind. You know, because they are service pets. You'd think if that was the case maybe there was an issue with the owner and someone should have unlocked the room to investigate to make sure the owner was okay.

Fairly or unfairly, the floor consensus was that the owner(s) traveled for the BIlls game and left them in the room for the night. Problem is every time the elevator dinged, or made a noise, or a door was opened/shut, it went crazy.

In regards to the internet - if I was there for business, I would have legitimately had to find another hotel. Crazy you had problems as well, which makes it seems like it's a bigger issue and not a one-off.
My last stay was almost 3 years ago too. My sense is this hotel won't do any meaningful renovations but continue the status quo. Sounds like breakfast got exponentially worse. It went from great a la carte or buffet to pared down a la carte w/ buffet to small sized a la carte?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
My last stay was almost 3 years ago too. My sense is this hotel won't do any meaningful renovations but continue the status quo. Sounds like breakfast got exponentially worse. It went from great a la carte or buffet to pared down a la carte w/ buffet to small sized a la carte?
The breakfast options were pretty much pancakes with maple syrup or an American style breakfast (eggs,bacon/chicken sausage, potatoes). There was fruit or muffins to go, but they were pretty standard/boring items (a wrapped up apple, small muffins).

The quality of the breakfast was very good! It's just the portion sizes were incredibly small.

No buffet of any sorts.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 6:48 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hyatt Diamond
Staying here now. The good news is the internet is faster. I have 6MB down and 20 MB up, which is plenty for Teams calls.

I arrived at 11:30 and they had a room ready for me, but I elected to wait an hour for a suite to get cleaned. They were nice enough to upgrade me to a premium suite, which was unexpected.

The pool and spa are currently under renovation. The room I'm in is pretty dated and could use a renovation, but I'm doubting that will happen anytime soon.

It appears as though a full breakfast is included, but I'm not a big breakfast guy and went across the street for coffee. I will try checking breakfast out tomorrow morning.
BThumme likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nmoe
Staying here now. The good news is the internet is faster. I have 6MB down and 20 MB up, which is plenty for Teams calls.

I arrived at 11:30 and they had a room ready for me, but I elected to wait an hour for a suite to get cleaned. They were nice enough to upgrade me to a premium suite, which was unexpected.

The pool and spa are currently under renovation. The room I'm in is pretty dated and could use a renovation, but I'm doubting that will happen anytime soon.

It appears as though a full breakfast is included, but I'm not a big breakfast guy and went across the street for coffee. I will try checking breakfast out tomorrow morning.
Nice to know the internet has gotten better. It was absolutely anaemic before.
BThumme likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by nmoe

FYI, I was advised of a dollar cap for the breakfast in the restaurant. Starbucks is not included. Food's fine but it's more for the convenience than anything else. Hope they had resolved their staffing issues. Make sure you check your bill at check out - my concierge had to get involved to get breakfast charges wiped. This is despite confirming with the girl at check out.

Happy hour at Lucky's across the street isn't bad.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pWei
FYI, I was advised of a dollar cap for the breakfast in the restaurant. Starbucks is not included. Food's fine but it's more for the convenience than anything else. Hope they had resolved their staffing issues. Make sure you check your bill at check out - my concierge had to get involved to get breakfast charges wiped. This is despite confirming with the girl at check out.

Happy hour at Lucky's across the street isn't bad.
Just checked out today after a 2 day (originally 1 day, thanks United!) stay.

FDC was tragically incorrect on breakfast...she claimed that it was only comped for Globalists on award stays. I was like You have to be kidding me, that's not the WOH program, and she said Well I've been working here since i was 16 and that's the policy.

I called WOH after going up to my room, complained, and I had an apology email from the manager within an hour or so. They comped my (Starbucks) breakfast and sent 5K points my way. Good resolution to the issue, but can only think of how many other Globs have gotten stiffed over the years.

The property may have felt fresh 30 years ago, but it's probably the worst Hyatt I've stayed at in my 3.5 years with the program so far. To be fair there is a sign in the lobby that says they are undergoing a renovation. No other Hyatt choices downtown so it's here or stay at a nicer other program hotel.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
FDC was tragically incorrect on breakfast...she claimed that it was only comped for Globalists on award stays. I was like You have to be kidding me, that's not the WOH program, and she said Well I've been working here since i was 16 and that's the policy.
That sounds like the young woman we had when we checked out. The other (taller) young lady is much nicer - she resolved an issue for us, and even remembered us the next time we walked by (the next morning?), closing the loop with an update that closed the matter.

Glad to hear you got it resolved with a peace offering. There must be a reason why, as I understand, Hyatt corp and hotel owner has ongoing litigation over Hyatt wanting to deflag them. I wouldn't hold my breath for the pool or renovation to be done.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The hotel lobby is under renovation. No idea why there first.

Given a dirty King room under a points stay (hairs left in the tub) and front desk didn't really care about switching me for one night. Just hallow apologies and said they were full for Columbus day. believe the owners want to deflag and put it in the Line hotel brand. Saw this from Google reviews and odd that they recommend guests contacta non-Hyatt entity.

Wifi is still bad. Writing this on 5G now.

Last edited by Aventine; Oct 10, 2022 at 6:03 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.