Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2010, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
I stayed there for 4 nights in May, a few things I recall:

* Parking: Street parking was pretty easy to find (parallel on either on the main road or on the road behind the hotel) - good way to save $20+ a night.
* Regency club was fine - two of the four nights they had the same hot appetizer. Concierge was super friendly, offering tips of the area and helping out at the lounge (willing to call down to get a simple food item 3 minutes before closing).
* The pool area is nice - but closes at 10 pm, and they kick you out at that time & lock the gate. Wish the gym would be free to guests.
* Wired internet in the room didn't work, so used the wireless and was credited for it at check-out.
* Location: Close to I-5, we were trying to visit both SD zoos, so it was good for us. However, not in downtown La Jolla but close to UCSD - so there are a lot of restaurants open late in the area.

PS - The weather in May in San Diego sucked, it was cloudy, cold, and constantly raining. Quite a shock, coming from sunny Santa Monica!
Old Jan 20, 2010, 6:25 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by jdawg
PS - The weather in May in San Diego sucked, it was cloudy, cold, and constantly raining. Quite a shock, coming from sunny Santa Monica!
May and June are the worst months for weather in San Diego.

We call it May grey and June Gloom. Overcast and mucky, mostly from the deserts starting to warm up and sucks in the marine layer from the west.

As to the architecture of the hotel, locals call it the toaster because of the shape of the building looking like a box with a piece of toast sticking out of the top, and the big bank building next to it looks like a blender.
Old May 26, 2010, 12:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Hertz PC,National EE
I did two stays here recently and wanted to make a quick mention.

I booked 2 Queens and I asked the front desk if they had any kings available. She said she didn't on the club floor, but then decided to be nice and gave me a "petite suite", which is a very strange room. It's an L shape with a decent sitting area, but has a Murphy Bed...yes that's right...a murphy bed. I didn't know these were still in use, and certainly not in a room that at least 50% bigger than a standard room. Maybe it's for people who have hotel parties?

There is a also a separate room that is the size of 2 small bathrooms that has a coffee maker, small fridge, and sink. Why it's hidden behind some double doors is beyond me - I guess if you wanted to setup a wet bar for the hotel party that required the murphy bed, it would be ideal.

Overall, this is a very very odd suite, but a welcome upgrade for the interesting factor.

Valet is 25 bucks now (I'm pretty sure) and the rooms were recently renovated and pretty nice. There are flat screen TV's contrary to an older post on here (at least in both regency club floor rooms I've been in).

Japengo is across the street and tasty (though expensive).

Like others have said, I'd take the HR Mission Bay over this purely for the grounds which makes it feel like a resort and the diamond breakfast is rockin'. This feels like a business hotel sitting in the middle of a resort area with a so-so Regency Club.
Old May 26, 2010, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by astan100

I booked 2 Queens and I asked the front desk if they had any kings available. She said she didn't on the club floor, but then decided to be nice and gave me a "petite suite", which is a very strange room. It's an L shape with a decent sitting area, but has a Murphy Bed...yes that's right...a murphy bed. I didn't know these were still in use, and certainly not in a room that at least 50% bigger than a standard room. Maybe it's for people who have hotel parties?

There is a also a separate room that is the size of 2 small bathrooms that has a coffee maker, small fridge, and sink. Why it's hidden behind some double doors is beyond me - I guess if you wanted to setup a wet bar for the hotel party that required the murphy bed, it would be ideal.

Overall, this is a very very odd suite, but a welcome upgrade for the interesting factor.
murphy beds are not uncommon....HR Waikiki suites for instance have murphy beds.
Old May 26, 2010, 12:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Hertz PC,National EE
Ah excellent...I'll be there in 2 weeks and will be sure to ask
Old May 26, 2010, 9:25 am
Community Director Emerita

It sounds as though you got a hospitality suite. Murphy beds are very common in such rooms, as they are predominantly used for business meetings or cocktail parties.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 11:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by astan100

Valet is 25 bucks now (I'm pretty sure) and the rooms were recently renovated and pretty nice. There are flat screen TV's contrary to an older post on here (at least in both regency club floor rooms I've been in).

Japengo is across the street and tasty (though expensive).

Like others have said, I'd take the HR Mission Bay over this purely for the grounds which makes it feel like a resort and the diamond breakfast is rockin'. This feels like a business hotel sitting in the middle of a resort area with a so-so Regency Club.
Had a recent stay at the property as well and I also got one of these petite suites. Mine wasn't L shaped, but I had the same strange wet bar hidden like it was in a closet.

Very new and fresh. They asked me if I wanted turn down service, which I replied yes to as we were heading out for a BBQ. No turn down service was done when we returned that night

We also spent some time by the pool, it was nice and busy (t mobile hot spot works great by the pool, free for elites). The pool bar was not open (on a sold out Sunday ), but there was a person taking orders and serving. She "forgot" to mention that she represented room service so our two drinks had a neat 4USD delivery charge + 22% gratuity added . I mentioned this to the front desk and they removed the charges.

Checked out the club as well. They had snacks (nuts, fruit etc) throughout the day, did not check the breakfast or night offerings.

BTW, got the folio emailed to me and it included both internet and the comped drinks. Had to call to get it removed.

All in all, an OK property, slightly more upscale than the Mission Bay location, but I agree that if you get a good room at Mission Bay, I would rather stay there for the rockin breakfast and better offerings by the pool.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:44 pm

Thumbs down

A bunch of petty problems making my stay here pretty poor.
-Had to ask for my free breakfast vouchers.
-Confirmed crib needed at check in 2PM, wasn't delivered when we got back from the zoo 6PM. Delivered while at pool.
-Wanted to write a note for a tip for person leaving crib, no pen/paper (they got it though.)
-Only one towel left at the pool, after us.
-No in room coffee, tea, which means no cups to play with. Nykid was devastated. That's his favorite part about travelling.
-No mini bar fridge to keep kids milk cold.
-(only valid complaint) Requested a bottle opener three times. Offered to come down, said he'd call back right away. 10 min later I rigged my B2 belt buckle. Then 15 min later they sent up a waitress with a wine opener.
-Bed phone broken.
-Crib is TINY, shorter than my 18mo
-Bathtub rusty.
-Wired is free, not wifi

The staff couldn't be friendlier...rivals the GH Kauai.
Other notes:
Street parking was harsh...multiple big events, all but one spot on La Jolla Village Dr. taken. Tons of space taped off for party supply trucks. They were still charging party guests $5.
Given complimentary tea/coffee vouchers for the "Starbucks"/market in the lobby.
If I wasn't getting a free night award for this sub-hundred single night stay, I'd be mad. This was going to be just a mattress run.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Stayed here last week. Regency Club is closed so was given two appetizer vouchers for the bar ($12 each), two breakfast vouchers, and a voucher for Perk's coffee. The room was ok, nothing special just a king bed on the 15th floor. Staff were great. AAA rate was $92/night with G3 bonus, amenity, and 2500 club closure bonus = ~5500 GP points. Not a bad haul.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:55 pm

Be careful about parking on street in front of hotel (La Jolla Village Drive): bartender in Michael's says there are a couple incidents per week of car windows smashed and cars looted.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:05 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Snagged a couple of upcoming stays in San Diego on the 92 dollar rate AAA, stayed one night this week

No upgrade, got a corner room. Club was still closed so they offered the 5500 points, free full breakfast at the restaurant and also two free appetizers at Michael's (for Diamonds)

The corner room had significant street noise and the bed was very uncomfortable. Very different from the Petite suite we had last time. Not a good night sleep.

We arrived fairly late and ordered the appetizers from Michael's from our room for pick up, the vouchers had a F&B credit for 12USD. I jumped in the shower and my SO went down to pick up the food. She was told that one of our appetizers was more expensive than the 12 dollars, so the voucher was not valid and we had to pay the whole amount.

At check in the next morning, they comped everything.

Parking is easy (and free) on the street behind the hotel and steps from the front door. You can also park on the main street and I would park there in a heartbeat if the street behind the hotel was not available.

BTW, at check out the manager confirmed me in a suite for next weekend, the standard rooms are not very nice and the one I got was facing the main road and quite noisy. I would make sure I was in a suite at this place.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by tommy777
Snagged a couple of upcoming stays in San Diego on the 92 dollar rate AAA, stayed one night this week

No upgrade, got a corner room. Club was still closed so they offered the 5500 points, free full breakfast at the restaurant and also two free appetizers at Michael's (for Diamonds)

The corner room had significant street noise and the bed was very uncomfortable. Very different from the Petite suite we had last time. Not a good night sleep.

We arrived fairly late and ordered the appetizers from Michael's from our room for pick up, the vouchers had a F&B credit for 12USD. I jumped in the shower and my SO went down to pick up the food. She was told that one of our appetizers was more expensive than the 12 dollars, so the voucher was not valid and we had to pay the whole amount.

At check in the next morning, they comped everything.

Parking is easy (and free) on the street behind the hotel and steps from the front door. You can also park on the main street and I would park there in a heartbeat if the street behind the hotel was not available.

BTW, at check out the manager confirmed me in a suite for next weekend, the standard rooms are not very nice and the one I got was facing the main road and quite noisy. I would make sure I was in a suite at this place.
I believe the vouchers for Michael's are for food only, not F&B. I hope it was for food only else I paid for my drinks for no reason.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG gold,Marriott silver, AA, UA, Delta
Here now. Nothing special, a typical suburban Hyatt, a ways from downtown LaJolla. Very spartan RC evening offerings. RC closed by 8pm. No coffee maker in room. I would not stay here again.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG gold,Marriott silver, AA, UA, Delta
Next Morning

RC breakfast also spartan, although salmon was of high quality. RC design allows only 6 people to sit at table height, the rest must bend over an end table. No meat and only 2 cheeses. No granola or eggs. Pool is large, but laned off for the adjacent private health club. Diamonds get a $2 discount off the $13 daily fee at health club. The hotel does have its own ex room and use of the pool is free. This property is really a business hotel and not at all resorty. I have cancelled my return reservation.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:20 am
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
5,000 point bonus

Just got this email for a promo:

ENJOY HYATT REGENCY LA JOLLA AT AVENTINE STARTING AT JUST USD$99 AND EARN 5,000 BONUS POINTS

Experience luxury in San Diego when you stay at the Four-Diamond Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine in San Diego. Right now weekends start at just USD$99 a night and weekdays start at just USD$179, plus earn 5,000 Hyatt Gold Passport® bonus points per stay of two nights or more.

The Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine is perfect for business or pleasure, offering you wonderful amenities and services including our brand-new complimentary 24-hour Stay Fit Gym. Relax by our junior Olympic-size pool, take in a game of tennis or dine at any one of the six restaurants on property. Come discover why La Jolla has been nicknamed "The Jewel of the Pacific," with incomparable beaches, shopping, dining, galleries and attractions.

To take advantage of this great offer on your next two-night stay, visit hyatt.com now, book by March 15, 2011, and request Offer Code HRLJ5K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.