Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Colorado REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Colorado REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2016, 3:05 pm

Thanks for this review. It sounds like this will be quite a step down from a Park Hyatt Vendome.

This hotel leaves me conflicted.

1) They don't waive fees for parking (yet), and they seem to have fees (resort/spa). This makes award stays really expensive

2) The hotel does seem to be......a bit dated. Maybe more than the Westin Snowmass.

3) I've been to BC, I've walked all around the PH. There are only a handful of hotels (that we can redeem at) that are truly ski-in/ski-out. This is one of them. They have the 8100 bar, billiards, ice rink right outside, multiple fire pits, etc - you can definitely do everything you want at BC, without leaving this hotel. So there is a ton of positives here. I see this hotel competing with the Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch - but at a slightly lower price point.

I debate....

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
A bit of a late review (stayed here beginning of August), but I wanted to post for those considering the PH Beaver Creek in summer. I'm not a skier, so I'm in no danger of returning in the winter, but summer in Beaver Creek was fantastic.

We stayed one night at the Westin in Avon and then headed up the mountain to Beaver Creek about 9:00 AM as we wanted to maximize our time there. Valet parking was an absolute breeze. We were pleasantly surprised to only be charged $20 for the valet parking at check-out.

This was our first time in a PH after many HR and GH stays, so I was expecting an extra notch of luxury. In general, I didn't really get that. Our room was not ready but the lovely FD associate provided us with bottled water and promised to call on my cell when the room was ready.

One ski lift, the Centennial Express lift, was open, and lift tickets (unlimited rides all day) were $30 a person. We took the lift all the way up the mountain and hiked down in the morning, a rugged, somewhat grueling (at least for my GF) 4 mile hike down with many switchbacks.

Our room was then ready, and I was kind of disappointed that the lowest-level King room I booked is exactly what I got as a Diamond, no upgrade of any kind; our view was of the hotel entrance and the valet parking.

Beaver Creek Village itself was quite alive during the summer; everything appeared to be open. While there are a few dining options in BC, I wasn't too impressed by the variety. We first tried the Blue Moose Pizza and were ignored for about 10 minutes, so left there and went to the Dusty Boot Saloon which is kind of a Texas Roadhouse knockoff kind of place. Decent bar food and beer. We actually ended up there twice as we couldn't find anything better in BC.

Took advantage of the great jacuzzis here, but unfortunately, only 2 of them were really working. There are 5 in total along with a smallish (non heated in summer) lap pool. Only the large middle jacuzzi was working along with one smaller one. I kind of felt like, if you're staying at a Park Hyatt, all of the facilities should at least be working properly.

Breakfast the next morning in the PH restaurant, 8100, was fantastic, easily the best Hyatt breakfast I've ever had. We could have ordered whatever we wanted ala carte (FD said we had $100 F+B credit for breakfast), but the buffet was so great we couldn't pass it up. Artisan salads, charcuterie, cheese, lox, pretty much everything you could imagine on a breakfast buffet.

So the breakfast was the highlight of the trip. This place really didn't live up to my expectations of a Park Hyatt (non working jacuzzis, very basic room) but overall the location was fantastic and I would come back here again in the summer in a heartbeat as long as the rates weren't too bad. We paid a rate of $207 in the summer which I pretty much thought this place was worth. I can't imagine paying $800-$1000 a night for this place in high season. You're paying that much exclusively for location, and not for the property itself.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Waived parking and resort fees for Diamonds will be nice come March. Great property with outstanding breakfast and restaurant. Due to a room issue we brought up with mgmt who addressed it promptly and took care of us. Will be back, just sadly won't stay with WOH once it begins.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 9:53 am

Yeah, but I am looking at going in Jan/Feb.

I debate on this hotel. The Westin Avon looks a bit more modern, has only 30/nt parking, costs only 20k night b4 5th night free.

At 30k/nt + all the fees, you really put a premium on the ability to be "that close" to a ski resort. But the fact the Westin still has a gondola, and easier access to i70/more restaurants - makes it seem more appealing. I am searching this thread for a good reason to stay at the PH. The diamond breakfast + even closer location seems to be about it. If I am reading the responses here right, and evaluating the pictures correctly - the PH BC doesn't live up to the Park Hyatt expectations we typically have.

8100 seems nice, but I can tell it is going to be out of my price range. (I am guessing $7-10 beers, and $15-18 mixed drinks.

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Waived parking and resort fees for Diamonds will be nice come March. Great property with outstanding breakfast and restaurant. Due to a room issue we brought up with mgmt who addressed it promptly and took care of us. Will be back, just sadly won't stay with WOH once it begins.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 10:20 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
When I talk about a ski trip, this is always my wife's first choice. It's not just ski in/ski out, it's the ski valets and the boot warmers and other added touches. It's true that this isn't the PH Vendome, but it's a ski lodge at its heart, and a very nice one at that.

If you're on an all points stay, there is no resort fee. You still have the parking fee, if you have a car.

The Diamond breakfast at 8100 is very nice and a great way to start off a day of skiing or other activities. We didn't eat any other meals there, but I recall the prices were comparable to just about any place else in a ski resort setting - and much less expensive than PHV. We tended to eat at other places in the Village and take advantage of their happy hour offerings.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 10:56 am

I think your wife would really enjoy the Westin Snowmass, my girlfriend really did. There are other ski in/ski out properties. I have stayed at the Westin Snowmass, and honestly can't find a lot that differentiates the PH BC to the Westin Snowmass. They have ski valet, boot warmers, a number of restaurants nearby, etc. The Westin Snowmass is just missing a village the size that Beaver Creek has (no ice skating rink, for instance).

The PH BC isn't the only ski in/ski out place we can redeem at. There is still the Westin Whistler, Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch, Westin Avon (it has its own gondola), Hilton Whistler, Marriott Tahoe, Sheraton Steamboat, St Regis Deer Valley, Marriott PCMR (2x), Hyatt Escala The Canyons @ PC, Waldorf Astoria PC

For this particular resort, Beaver Creek, the PH BC takes care a lot of needs. Free breakfast, eventually free parking, waived resort fees on award stays, a lively little village, ski valet, yes - it takes care of it all.

I just waffle with the fact that the Westin, Avon is much more affordable, practically as nice, more accessible, and still connected via gondola. And then I could also just drive another 3 hours down i70 to Aspen, and stay at a much less busy resort (Snowmass), and enjoy the Westin there. Or just stay at the Sheraton in Avon.

I feel this resort is maybe taking advantage of the monopoly they have. No reason to make it a real Park Hyatt, when there is no other choice but the Ritz Carlton for a true ski in/ski out location. And like others have said, the Ritz Carlton is leaps and bounds ahead of the PH BC - but it also costs $700-800/nt, vs $500/nt for the PH BC.

I can see why your wife loves it, and why everyone else loves it. You don't have to take a gondola to the resort, or hop in a car. You literally ski to the ski valet. I try not to get too caught up on that, especially if the Westin Snowmass is still only 12k pts/night, and seems just as nice on every other measure. And of course, no one is forcing us to stay at a chain hotel here, there are going to be dozens of independent hotels with their own ski valet at all of these locations we are talking about.

I personally encourage everyone who has stayed at the PH BC before, to drive a little further down i70 and check out the Westin Snowmass. Aspen is really quite a bit more interesting in many ways, the town is full of wealthy people, and less tourists. It really makes for an over the top ski town/ski experience. Plus, after you get tired of Snowmass (which is hard, it is 4000 acres+), you have Aspen....Aspen Highlands, both with their own awesome terrain.

I have spent multiple weeks around Vail/Avon/Edwards. I have ate all around the BC village, walked around the Park Hyatt, even poked my head inside. It is nice, but I can't help but hesitate spending all those points. In fact it has me rethinking if I should just book another trip at the Westin Snowmass.

You just think of all the other Hyatt properties that cost 30k/nt, that you would love to stay at. And the fact that this hotel is really only worth $140~/nt, in the off season....

/sigh

Originally Posted by skj
When I talk about a ski trip, this is always my wife's first choice. It's not just ski in/ski out, it's the ski valets and the boot warmers and other added touches. It's true that this isn't the PH Vendome, but it's a ski lodge at its heart, and a very nice one at that.

If you're on an all points stay, there is no resort fee. You still have the parking fee, if you have a car.

The Diamond breakfast at 8100 is very nice and a great way to start off a day of skiing or other activities. We didn't eat any other meals there, but I recall the prices were comparable to just about any place else in a ski resort setting - and much less expensive than PHV. We tended to eat at other places in the Village and take advantage of their happy hour offerings.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 5:51 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Physically the BC Westin is really quite nice. I loved our room and their spa was one of the best I have seen at any Westin. My wife and I both had treatments that were great. I did not stayed at the PH, but I did peak inside to check it out for a future stay and I would have to give the look test award to the Westin. We did have a few issues while staying there though, but I would be willing to give them another chance if I was staying on points.

As others have said the PH location is hard to beat. It and the Oprsy (which is another great hotel you should check into) have the best ski in, ski out of any property at BC and that accounts for the difference in price. The ski valets at the Westin were great as well but....unless you want to ski arrowhead or Bachelor Gulch one must takes several lifts ski down, over and take more lift to get to BC's summit. It was too much. I found after trial and error that when staying at the Westin I would take the shuttle in the morning (which picks up right across the street from the Westin) to the main BC area and then you can pick up Centennial Express lift (6) and then (*8) and voila you are at the summit. Much, much easier. Where I would use the Westin's gondola was at the end of the day to go back to the hotel. That was handy. The Richard Sandoval restaurant inside the Westin is a great spot for dinner. I recommend it even if you are not staying there.

Having said all that, and to further complicate your decision, I am going to try the Sheraton Mountain Vista Villas this year as I am trying to save money. For 10k a night in SPG points its a steal (and I am using 50k for 6 nights!) and I am willing to sacrifice staying right by a lift for the savings. Next season when my non skiing wife goes I will splurge and give the PH a try although from everything I read here on FT its not nearly as good as other PH's. My wife loved the village area, although she found plenty to do at the Westin and was quite happy there.

End the end I don't think anything will ever come close to topping our stayed at the ski in, ski out, St Regis Deer Valley. Worth every point and then some, as the base room starts around $1100 in ski season. We upgraded to a suite. It was a dream! I could rave on and on about that stay.

Last edited by 1readyset2go; Dec 22, 2016 at 5:59 pm
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:22 am

I've stayed at or been to many of the ski resorts available for points. The BC Hyatt is a better location and you are in the village (everything is pricey but has the ski village feel). The Westin is a better hotel, kitchens available, many restaurants available in Avon (15 minute walk) and has a professional gym and pool. The Westin also has a shuttle to Vail. The Westin lacks the village and it would takes you 10-15 minutes to get to Bachelor's Gulch and probably 25 minutes to get over to Beaver creek (which is all lift serviced and skiing). The Sheraton is fun and in the town of Avon but not ski in/out. You need to take the city bus to BC or Vail.

The Westin Snowmass is in a great location right on the hill. Snowmass is a good mountain for beginner/intermediate skiers. For more advanced, you need to take the bus to Aspen and Aspen Highlands.

They are more chain hotels opening around Vail Colorado properties. SPG is opening one in Vail. The Vail Holiday inn is becoming a Doubletree. Marriott opened Residence Inn in Breckenridge.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:07 pm

I have actually stayed at the Sheraton Mountain Vista Villas for a few weeks, so I can clue you in here. I had a wonderful room with an en suite, fireplace, balcony, etc. Parking was crowded however.

I also remember this being a very......different Sheraton, in regards to it being primarily a bunch of condos with owners, vs. a more traditional hotel entrance, and amenities.

I agree though, I think the St Regis Deer Valley is probably the nicest hotel you can redeem at, maybe competing with the Waldorf Astoria Park City. Every other redeemable option is basically a Sheraton/Westin/W/etc.

I know the Park Hyatt brand is supposed to be as nice as WA/StR, but it seems everyone is agreement that this Park Hyatt is nice, but just a little lackluster.

N_Phoenix is sharing some insights though, SPG opening a Vail resort is interesting, the base of Vail is super congested/big, and I just have no idea where they would fit a resort in, that isn't a half a mile walk from a lift. The Holiday Inn going to Hilton management is disappointing, as the HI Vail was always a budget hotel in a otherwise expensive area.

I personally don't know why there isn't more investment from hotel chains, in ski resorts.

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
Physically the BC Westin is really quite nice. I loved our room and their spa was one of the best I have seen at any Westin. My wife and I both had treatments that were great. I did not stayed at the PH, but I did peak inside to check it out for a future stay and I would have to give the look test award to the Westin. We did have a few issues while staying there though, but I would be willing to give them another chance if I was staying on points.

As others have said the PH location is hard to beat. It and the Oprsy (which is another great hotel you should check into) have the best ski in, ski out of any property at BC and that accounts for the difference in price. The ski valets at the Westin were great as well but....unless you want to ski arrowhead or Bachelor Gulch one must takes several lifts ski down, over and take more lift to get to BC's summit. It was too much. I found after trial and error that when staying at the Westin I would take the shuttle in the morning (which picks up right across the street from the Westin) to the main BC area and then you can pick up Centennial Express lift (6) and then (*8) and voila you are at the summit. Much, much easier. Where I would use the Westin's gondola was at the end of the day to go back to the hotel. That was handy. The Richard Sandoval restaurant inside the Westin is a great spot for dinner. I recommend it even if you are not staying there.

Having said all that, and to further complicate your decision, I am going to try the Sheraton Mountain Vista Villas this year as I am trying to save money. For 10k a night in SPG points its a steal (and I am using 50k for 6 nights!) and I am willing to sacrifice staying right by a lift for the savings. Next season when my non skiing wife goes I will splurge and give the PH a try although from everything I read here on FT its not nearly as good as other PH's. My wife loved the village area, although she found plenty to do at the Westin and was quite happy there.

End the end I don't think anything will ever come close to topping our stayed at the ski in, ski out, St Regis Deer Valley. Worth every point and then some, as the base room starts around $1100 in ski season. We upgraded to a suite. It was a dream! I could rave on and on about that stay.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by factory81
....SPG opening a Vail resort is interesting, the base of Vail is super congested/big, and I just have no idea where they would fit a resort in, that isn't a half a mile walk from a lift.....
It is a conversion of Cascade resort in Cascade Village.@:-) Property originally opened as a Westin then left SPG in the 90s.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:53 pm

How's the hotel post WOH? Is parking fee waived as Globalist using points?

And if the stay is revenue, is the resort fee waived? When booking online seems like resort fee is still imposed to the total even when logged in as a Globalist.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nowstime
.....Is parking fee waived as Globalist using points?......
Yes.

.....And if the stay is revenue, is the resort fee waived?......
No.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
Yes.

No.
Thank you Terry

Just called the hotel and they told me for Globalist, they will waive the Resort Fee at check out if it's still on the bill. But this way, I will still have to pay for parking...
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: A few
I had resort fee waived and parking fee waived after reminder on checkout last week
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
if the stay is revenue, is the resort fee waived? When booking online seems like resort fee is still imposed to the total even when logged in as a Globalist.
Originally Posted by TerryK
No.
That would be a T&C violation:
Resort or facility fees, where charged by the applicable hotel or resort, will be waived for Globalists when paying an Eligible Rate.

WoH Terms & Conditions
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
That would be a T&C violation:
Resort or facility fees, where charged by the applicable hotel or resort, will be waived for Globalists when paying an Eligible Rate.

WoH Terms & Conditions
Wow! How did I miss that? I was charged resort fee this March for paid nights and thought nothing wrong of it. I am a Globalist on mixed paid/award stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.