FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Colorado REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/133597-park-hyatt-beaver-creek-colorado-review-master-thread.html)

gwhite216 Mar 10, 2010 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by eddie1973 (Post 13548156)
If I'm doing an award stay, what type of room usually will be given and whether I can get RC access as a Diamond. Btw, is there a RC at this property?

It is a Park Hyatt therefore there is not a RC. Room category will depend on occupancy. I would call the day before check in and speak to the front desk. It is a great property but expensive.

DealDetective Mar 10, 2010 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by eddie1973 (Post 13548156)
If I'm doing an award stay, what type of room usually will be given and whether I can get RC access as a Diamond. Btw, is there a RC at this property?

I have an award stay there coming up and my reserved room type is Courtyard. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an upgraded room, but know they are quite full for Spring Break. I'm actually looking forward to a property without a RC, so we can get complimentary full breakfast every morning.

el_jefe Mar 10, 2010 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by gwhite216 (Post 13503737)
We just left the PH BC this morning after a great stay. We had 2 rooms using FFN. Each room was upgraded to a slopeside king. I received 2 amenity cards at check in and did not pay a resort fee. Breakfast in 8100 was comp every morning. They actually gave me 8 certificates valid for up to 4 people each. The bar service in 8100 was rather sluggish and we did not eat there other than breakfast. Overall the hotel and staff were great! The amenities and location cannot be beat.

Checking in tomorrow - I can only hope my experience is as good as yours.

TerryK Mar 10, 2010 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by DealDetective (Post 13550810)
..... I'm actually looking forward to a property without a RC, so we can get complimentary full breakfast every morning.

Although you do receive full breakfasts at PHBC, some Hyatts without RC only provide continental breakfasts.

TerryK Mar 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by speedbird001 (Post 13548165)
The Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch is in the Beaver Creek area and is a far superior hotel.

Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch is a wonderful property. However it is at Bachelor Gulch, not Beaver Creek. :p It can easily take you half an hour to get to/from the main base at Beaver Creek.;)

DealDetective Mar 11, 2010 8:05 am

Originally Posted by el_jefe (Post 13552675)

How long will you be there? We're arriving Sunday!

gwhite216 Mar 11, 2010 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by el_jefe (Post 13552675)

Originally Posted by DealDetective (Post 13550810)
I have an award stay there coming up and my reserved room type is Courtyard. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an upgraded room, but know they are quite full for Spring Break. I'm actually looking forward to a property without a RC, so we can get complimentary full breakfast every morning.

We originally had 2 Courtyard rooms and received slope side. If you can I would request the 2nd floor. There is a nice sitting area overlooking the lobby. You can sit there and enjoy music while drink your own wine if you would like. Breakfast for 4 is $141 ea. morning so prepare to tip heavily. It is a great buffet though. Enjoy!

skj Mar 12, 2010 5:20 am

Originally Posted by DealDetective (Post 13555372)

We arrive Sunday, too, for 4 nights using NBT awards. The hotel is probably full of people there on award stays of one kind or another.

gregorygrady Mar 13, 2010 9:36 am

Originally Posted by TerryK (Post 13552882)
Although you do receive full breakfasts at PHBC, some Hyatts without RC only provide continental breakfasts.

This is no longer the case as of 4/2/09, with the exception of HR Bethesda which doesn't have a restaurant, just a coffee stand type place for breakfast. Everywhere else you should be getting a full breakfast nowadays. ^

el_jefe Mar 15, 2010 10:18 am

Originally Posted by gwhite216 (Post 13557261)
We originally had 2 Courtyard rooms and received slope side. If you can I would request the 2nd floor. There is a nice sitting area overlooking the lobby. You can sit there and enjoy music while drink your own wine if you would like. Breakfast for 4 is $141 ea. morning so prepare to tip heavily. It is a great buffet though. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by DealDetective (Post 13555372)

I actually left on Sunday and I was having such a great time, I didn't even log on to FT while I was there. We did request an UG to Slope Side, but the property was/is fully committed. We were on the 2nd floor, which was fantastic with it's little sitting area.

This property was fantastic, there were a few things I didn't like so much, but they were totally outweighed by what I did. The rooms were fine size for me and the girlfriend and our other two travel companions (we had two rooms). I booked this with my FFN nights from this year's promo. The free breakfast was WONDERFUL, but as another poster said, be prepared to leave at least a $25 tip for a group of four. The Spa was wonderful and the Arnica Sports Cure was great, albeit expensive at $265. Be sure to save the $25 off treatment coupons you get a check in (they demand them for the discount), however the front desk will give you more upon request. The outdoor hot tubs and fires were fantastic and the lobby is a wonderful place to relax in the evenings. The location to the lifts and the village can NOT be beat.

Finally, we flew into EGE. I did not know this, but SAVE YOUR BOARDING PASS. Any boarding pass into EGE can be redeemed for a FREE LIFT TICKET on the day of arrival. So, we arrived in EGE around 9am (first flight in on UAL) and were at the resort by 10:30. This s basically a $100 value just for flying into EGE which is FAR more convenient than DEN. Also, the Ski Valet at the property is top notch and super efficient.

As for things I'd didn't like so much, but would not cause me not to return. SO MANY KIDS!! Granted, I didn't realize this was spring break for parts of the country when I booked it, but wow... there were loads of kids. The resort is pretty much shut down by 10PM (as is the rest of the village)??!! Virtually none of the resort charges count for points (the Spa is not owned by Hyatt) and the lift tickets purchased at the resort don't count either. This is one area where SPG wins. Since you get charged a 5% resort service fee on all Spa treatments, I really think they should give you points - otherwise don't charge the 5% resort fee.

I hope this is helpful. This is a terrific property.

El Jefe

TerryK Mar 15, 2010 10:47 am

Originally Posted by el_jefe (Post 13579430)
.....Finally, we flew into EGE. I did not know this, but SAVE YOUR BOARDING PASS. Any boarding pass into EGE can be redeemed for a FREE LIFT TICKET on the day of arrival. ......

Great tip! ^ I always fly into EGE, yet didn't know about this free life ticket offer.

....As for things I'd didn't like so much, but would not cause me not to return. SO MANY KIDS!! Granted, I didn't realize this was spring break for parts of the country when I booked it, but wow.......

PHBC is wonderful for kids. The Kids' Ski School is practically next door.;) I believe it is a Spring Break every week in March for parts of the country.

......Virtually none of the resort charges count for points (the Spa is not owned by Hyatt)....

I have not found any spa operated by any Hyatt where charges can earn points.:(

TerryK Mar 15, 2010 10:49 am

Originally Posted by gregorygrady (Post 13568822)
This is no longer the case as of 4/2/09, with the exception of HR Bethesda which doesn't have a restaurant, just a coffee stand type place for breakfast. Everywhere else you should be getting a full breakfast nowadays. ^

Whoops! :o I am behind times.

DealDetective Mar 20, 2010 6:50 pm

Great property for ski vacation!

Just completed a 5 night stay here during peak Spring Break. They must have been at full capacity because the HDR room rates quoted on the website were the maximum daily rate on the back of the door. (I've never seen a hotel actually charge those rates!) As such, we were very pleasantly surprised to have our Courtyard NBT reservation upgraded to an Executive King. It was a large, lovely room, although its location immediately above the porte-cochere resulted in a very limited courtyard view. If I were paying the HDR of $1,300/night, I probably would not have been very happy with the view. Traveling with our teenage daughter, however, it was great for her to have the sofa bed by a gas fireplace with her own TV and an extra-large bathroom. Since our room was located on the 2nd floor adjacent to the sitting area overlooking the lobby, we felt like we had access to an indoor balcony, albeit not a private one.

Complimentary Diamond breakfast was really delicious. In addition to the wide assortment of buffet items and cook to order omelets, you could special order French toast, pancakes, Belgian waffles or even Eggs Benedict at no additional charge. Without the certificates, the full buffet would cost $32 + tax & tip. While gratuity is not included with the breakfast certificates, we were happy to pay the gratuity for such a nice breakfast. Some days, I was not even hungry until dinner time.

During ski season, the convenience of this property cannot be beat. Lift tickets can be purchased at face value every morning in the hotel and charged to your room. Before arrival, I called the Concierge for a recommendation on equipment rentals. She told me that Gorsuch was located downstairs in the hotel building and rental charges could be billed to our room. We went with her other recommendation, Base Mountain Sports, located in the village just across the skating rink from the hotel, which gives Hyatt guests a 20% discount. For some reason, they also gave me a store credit equal to 10% of the rental charge, perhaps because I reserved online? We arrived on a Sunday and went to get our equipment at 8:30 pm and were the only people there. We were in and out in 10 minutes! They told us that Monday was going to be their busiest day of the season, so we were glad we were able to beat the rush. They even delivered our skis and boots directly to the Hyatt Ski Valet, which was a fantastic advantage of staying at the Hyatt. Looking at the resort map, I didn't realize quite how close the ski valet was to the lift. We found it easiest to take the Buckaroo Gondola up then ski down to the Centennial lift to eliminate having to carry skis at all!

The Allegria Spa was one of our favorite hotel amenities. They were participating in SpaFinder's semi-annual Spa week, offering $50 50 minute massages and facials while we were there. They also had a Spring Break special on 25-30 minute treatments for $60-$69. They could not be combined with the $25 certificates given at check-in, but were a bargain nonetheless. Ask about current specials. Arrive an hour before your appointment to take advantage of the Aqua Sanitas Water Sanctuary.

We also enjoyed the s'mores happy hour featuring gourmet homemade marshmallows in really interesting flavors--M&M, Vanilla Bean, Heath Bar toffee, Grand Marnier and Creme de Menthe--which you could roast over the firepit. This was the nicest Hyatt s'mores service I've seen, with a choice of dark or milk chocolate. They even provided large wet wipes to clean sticky fingers when you were done.

The only aspect of the property we were were not thrilled with was Housekeeping. I recognize the property was full, but we found their service to be very inconsistent. We had to call some days to have the room cleaned or for items not replenished when the room was cleaned, such as lotion, soap and shampoo. We didn't realize until later in the week that chocolate-covered toffees (yumm!) were provided at turndown because we didn't get them the first couple of nights. Whenever we called for such items or additional bottles of water, however, they were very prompt in responding.

Processing Hyatt Check Certificates for our "incidentals" was quicker than I expected. She simply counted the certificates and posted a credit. She commented that someone had brought her $5,000 worth earlier that day, so they seemed very familiar with them.

All in all, a great property, a great stay and an excellent use of NBT nights!

Houston Infinite Platinum Mar 23, 2010 9:20 am

I just read what deal detective wrote and don't have much to add. I also spent the spring break week between March 13th and 20th. The full buffet breakfast coupons where awesome. I see some folks complaining about the tip, come on, I had 3 people and was glad to leave a $20/day tip for 3 full buffets. We also were upgraded to a slopeside second floor room. I was thrilled to get the upgrade given we used points for the room. I wish I knew about the spa finder deal...But I will look for it next year. Overall it was a great week. Great facility and outstanding location. My biggest issue will be getting to Diamond over the next year, to take advantage of the same deal.

gregorygrady Mar 26, 2010 1:14 am

Originally Posted by DealDetective (Post 13615483)
Lift tickets can be purchased at face value every morning in the hotel and charged to your room. Before arrival, I called the Concierge for a recommendation on equipment rentals. She told me that Gorsuch was located downstairs in the hotel building and rental charges could be billed to our room.

Wow, that's certainly quite the deal. I almost went here earlier this month and had looked into lift tickets. BC/Vail has some serious control of their lift ticket pricing. I looked and looked but couldn't for the life of me find a lift ticket anywhere for under the $96 daily rate, except one random extra ticket that some guy sold on eBay for like $60-70.

However if you can charge the lift ticket to the room, you get a nice 20% discount if you use Costco Check Certs. ^^^^