Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Colorado REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Colorado REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old May 28, 05, 8:36 pm

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
Angry Disappointed, Frustrated, and Disgusted at the Park Hyatt Resort at Beaver Creek

I plan to send a letter to Hyatt Diamond Customer Service, as well, however since I am currently on property, I thought I would quickly post this here.

My parents flew in to Colorado and we decided to spend one night at the Park Hyatt Resort in Beaver Creek. We are here on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. We arrived at 1PM.

To start, my husband said, "I will park the car myself," and the valet said we only have Valet. Just a notation.

We got inside the lobby to find the line for check-in about a dozen people deep. The hotel has 230 rooms, including 4 suites. We had already called 1-800-CHECKIN, so we were good to go. However, we were forced to stand on the line.

When we got to the counter, my father (who had 1 room) and myself (who had 1 room) -- 2 rooms total, I said, "Diamond checkin, we have already checked in with 1-800-cHECKIN. Would it be possible to have a suite upgrade based on Diamond Status?" "There is NO WAY."

We continued with checkin.

As he went to print our key cards, he said the machine was broken and engineering would be sent up to fix it. The line continued to get deeper and deeper, with no explanation why the line was not moving. He said that it would be fixed in a minute or two.

I said, "Okay, while we are waiting, why don't we fill out our Diamond Amenity cards and our Diamond Breakfast Coupons?"

He shrugged his shoulders. Eventually after the first time that the Engineering man came up, he decided to start to fill out the cards and coupons. Meanwhile the Engineering man came up and cracked jokes with him and left. We said, "Ah good, it is fixed?" He replied, "Oh no, there is no way that it could be fixed that fast." Then he laughed and said, "I guess I should stop breaking it!!!" (Was that supposed to be humor???)

By this point, my 20 month old has lost it completely.

"Can't you just let us into the room?"

"Oh absolutely not. You will have to wait for the key card machine to be fixed."

Meanwhile, he finally hands us our diamond amenity card. We make our respective choices.

FYI: Food was Fruit (an apple, an orange and a banana), Chips and Salsa, or cookie. Beverage was 2 bottles of Beer, a half bottle of Chardonnay, a half bottle of merlot, milk or soda

I chose Fruit and Chardonnay (but as always, put I would love sparkling if possible) and my dad chose Chips and Salsa and Chardonnay.

I don't want to forget, but eventually we did get our amenities and I received Merlot instead of Chardonnay.

When he handed us our Breakfast Coupon, we were still waiting for the key machine. I quickly glanced at it:

Park Hyatt Beaver Creek
Resort and Spa
Diamond Member Breakfast Club
Please redeem this coupon in the Cafe.

1 Pastry
1 Tropicana Juice
1 small Coffee or Tea

Redeemable only at the Cafe. Not valid in Room Service or any other hotel outlet. No substitutes please. Not redeemable for cash. Non-transferable. Please present card to Cafe Cashier.

In case you do not know what the Cafe is, it is a Stand that sells packaged quick items. Basically so the skiiers can grab a quick drink on their way to the slopes.

I quickly questioned him. The Diamond policy says Breakfast, not this. He smart-alecky replied, "That is breakfast."

A nice bell-hop (who we did not need -- we only had a few bags for a one night stay) let us in our room.

We finally received our keys a few hours later.

We called Hyatt Diamond Gold Passport tonight and I kid you not, when I told the lady on the phone what the breakfast coupon said, she said, "REALLY???" And started to laugh. She quickly called Customer Service and transferred me to them. He agreed and quickly called the hotel. He came back on the line and said he spoke to Ben, the manager on duty. Ben was calling the F&B Manager and Ben would call me in my room.

Ben called a few minutes later. He said that that is the coupon, take it or leave it. I said, all I wanted was what Diamond policy states, a Continental Breakfast and I would like to sit in a restaurant and enjoy it. Most hotels give out full buffet (basically because it is too hard to track) or charge you the difference if you want the full. I said I don't find paying the difference, I just want what the policy states. He said that a pastry and a small coffee is a continental.

On their Breakfast Quick Start Menu there is an item called the Continental -- Choice of Juice, a Basket of Fresh Bakeries, Butter, Preserves, and a Freshly Brewed pot of Illy Coffee, Decaf or Tea for $13.75

Just as a point of reference Two Eggs with Cottage Cheese or Hashbrowns and choice of Ham, Bacon or Sausage is $13.25

Or a 3 egg Omelette with Cottage Cheese or Hashbrowns is $13.75

That was that. I said I didn't understand and he hung up.

My husband was so frustrated by this point, he went down by himself to discuss this. Basically Ben said that was that. My husband said we have stayed at about 90 Hyatts and we have never had this issue. My husband then took a comment card to show him he was disgusted and filled it as low as possible and stated, "Would never stay again." Then Mr. BHH showed him his Diamond card. Then Mr. BHH showed him his Starwood Platinum card and said, "I guess from now on, Starwood will get my business."

Ben called our room a few minutes later and spoke to my husband. The exact words were, "We will try to work it out this time." My husband then stated, "We are not asking for anything that the policy does not state that we should not receive."
Old May 29, 05, 2:26 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Silver
Originally Posted by acecatus
They should have offered you (and anyone else so inconvenienced) a free drink at the bar or snack while you waited...and waited.....
Boy, I agree with that. At the Hilton Hawaiian Village, the computer was down (they couldn't print keys), so when I walked up, they told me it would be about 30 minutes and (as I was Diamond) gave me a free drink coupon and another amenity (I can't remember what it was). I went to the bar, had a couple of drinks and, when I came back, the computer had come up, but was down again. This time, they treated me to dinner.

When dinner was over (about an hour and fifteen minutes later), my key card was ready and I was finally in my room, not the least upset.

In a somewhat similar situation, at the Hyatt Waikiki, I was able to check-in, but the lock on my door was broken. They opened the door so I could put my luggage in, walked me over to the Regency Club and explained my problem to Mark (at the Regency Club there). Mark made sure I always had a Mai Tai in front of me until maintenance had my door fixed in about an hour. I returned to my room very happy indeed.

I always figure that how a hotel handles a problem like that, especially if they are able to turn a major inconvenience into a pleasant experience, is the true measure of a quality establishment.
Old May 29, 05, 9:41 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM
Thumbs down The breakfast reflects the attitude of the hotel

I stayed there as a Diamond years ago and was disappointed in the attitude of the staff. I have never returned because of that. Obviously nothing has changed.
Old May 29, 05, 12:22 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
but I suppose it falls within the definition of breakfast.
You really have to look at the class of the hotel to determine whether something is acceptable or not. What can pass as a 'room' in 1-star hotel will not pass as a 'room' at a 4-star property.

The hotel in question appears to be a 4/5-star property (depending on the source). What OP described would not meet a definition of a breakfast in a 4-star hotel, and it would most definitely not meet the definition of a breakfast for a 5-start property.
Old May 29, 05, 1:03 pm

This Does Sound Pathetic for a Park Hyatt - Breakfast Sounds Like Days Inn Standards!

As a Diamond member, I would be annoyed as well. Having formerly headed up marketing for Days Inn Hotels for a short period, this sounds like a Days Inn Breakfast (although we probably wouldn't have had Tropicana). While a Continental Breakfast has different standards at every hotel, clearly this is the absolute minimum that any hotel could offer and to do it in the cafe versus restaurant is pathetic. Also, to put it in these terms is sad as well.

Also, the length of wait in a luxury hotel is unexcuseable. While the guest should not expect a Suite Upgrade, the hotel should be doing things to make the experience better - like sending the guest over for a drink/coffee in the restaurant or offering some extra amenity and apologies.

I wouldn't stay at this hotel on a paid stay or on points based upon what I've heard!
Old May 29, 05, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IK in Seattle
Sorry to hear about your problems at Beaver Creek BHH.

For the record BoulderHyattHopper is probably the most Pro Hyatt, Pro Gold Passport person on the face of the earth. She is normally over the top in her enthusiasm for Hyatt properties. If she is complaining, there is a problem.

The Park Hyatt Beaver Creek has a fantastic location, but it also has a history of having serious problems with an attitude by some of the staff.

Rooms often run $450+ a night. You would think they could give out something more than a doughnut for breakfast.
Exactly and that is why Hyatt Corporate should also have a look into the breakfast coupons scenario at the Park Beaver Creek.I am certainly in favour of efficient hotel operations , but at some point a Hotel GM or the responsible person has to realise what is enough.

Based on the rules and on the definition of a continental breakfast the hotel is may be right ( IMO except the fact that they only offer it at a catch and go kind of desk and not in one of their restaurants ) but again you are giving out those certs to very loyal customers....

What is the incentive for the hotel, getting a few $$$ more, because one has to buy themselves a decent breakfast ? Sure, but an angry ( not returning ) Diamond creates a higher loss , especially considering the upscale competition around in the area...

Again I second 1k in Seattle`s comment, hopefully BHH will have an enjoyable trip ( seeing BHH is already preaching the little fellow something about loyality to Hyatt He may become the youngest GPP Diamond on the planet )

P.S.

Posting this from the Hyatt Regency Cologne after enjoying some Bailey`s on Ice and fantastic Creme Brulee in the RC !! ^

Last edited by Threy; May 29, 05 at 1:16 pm
Old May 29, 05, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by KVS
You really have to look at the class of the hotel to determine whether something is acceptable or not. What can pass as a 'room' in 1-star hotel will not pass as a 'room' at a 4-star property.

The hotel in question appears to be a 4/5-star property (depending on the source). What OP described would not meet a definition of a breakfast in a 4-star hotel, and it would most definitely not meet the definition of a breakfast for a 5-start property.
I agree that the Beaver Creek breakfast offer was shabby and beneath that of a 4/5 Star Park Hyatt (cf the other extreme Park at Tokyo where it is in room!). BUT, their duty strictly is to provide breakfast, not breakfast commensurate with price or whatever.

It is disappointing, no doubt. If I were the BHH I would be dismayed. But since they are not in breach, there is little to be achieved by complaining, especially when it is a hotel with such an attitude! All that will result is dampen the holiday.
Old May 29, 05, 6:13 pm

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
Originally Posted by goingnow
The reason that SERVICE at hotels is going down the drain fast is due to some of the earlier posters on this thread that are so quick willing and eager to ignore the perks that are a stated part of the hotels own loyalty programs...
You're missing the point. In this case, the OP reports that all Diamond perks were delivered - no suite upgrade, a welcome amenity and continental breakfast. Admittedly, the breakfast option here is disappointing, but it still can be described as a "continental breakfast" by most people, which is what the program promises. It does not promise a buffet or a table at the restaurant.

Many of us have become expectant of Hyatts (particularly PH's) delivering more than the program rules state. What amazes me is that people rave about SPG when they consistently deliver LESS than their own rules stipulate. More concerning in this case should be the slow service.
Old May 29, 05, 6:16 pm

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
At the end of the day they HAVE a continental breakfast

I will add an addendum, that we did have a nice stay, after a "rocky" start...

The full service restaurant has a Continental Breakfast. After the phone calls back and forth, they finally said they would work something out. While the Manager in the restaurant did allow us to have the WONDERFULLY yummy breakfast, he basically let us to a table and left... It was so wonderful! When the time for the bill came, we kept waiting and waiting and waiting. Finally we received a bill for $98. We called the manager over and annoyed he said, "You did not have to wait! You know that it is taken care of!"

Again it comes down to that this is supposed to be a PARK HYATT RESORT! Maybe I got spoiled living in Germany!!! Koln! Hamburg! What happened to my favorite little Brussels? My girl went to CDG, if you need help in Europe!

As for the entitlement, I love the Hyatt Gold Passport Program. My dad became a Diamond in 1987 and has been one ever since. For those of you who do not know me, I am a STAY-AT-HOME MOM! Every single, solitary stay of mine is out of my pocket. My husband is a Diamond, some business, some not. I find the "entitlement" worth it. Just give me what I am "entitled" to. When the policy did not state that I did not get the hotel's continental breakfast, I was excited to get it. If I get a suite, bonus ... more room for my son's crib! If I get to stay on the RC floor, bonus ... I did not have to walk too far! All I am asking is that you go with what the policy states! I will continue to stay at Hyatt, because I think it is worth keeping in business. I love the program! I love most of the hotels! I love that I have had the chance to stay at Hyatts on multiple continents!!!

God Bless America (and Germany!) and God Bless Hyatt (and traveling!)! Oh and as the Archbishop of the diocese of Indianapolis would say ... "Keep these drivers safe and God Bless Reggie!"
Old May 29, 05, 7:49 pm

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
Originally Posted by BoulderHyattHopper
......Again it comes down to that this is supposed to be a PARK HYATT RESORT!......Just give me what I am "entitled" to. When the policy did not state that I did not get the hotel's continental breakfast, I was excited to get it. If I get a suite, bonus ... more room for my son's crib! If I get to stay on the RC floor, bonus ... I did not have to walk too far! All I am asking is that you go with what the policy states!...
BHH, I usually agree with your posts, but in this case I am still confused. Although it is about as close to 7-11 as you can get, a pastry, juice and cup of coffee could be described as "continental breakfast" by any reasonable person. This is all the program offers, but you say all you are asking for is what the policy states. Although it is clear they fell short of your expectations, where exactly did they fall short of what the program "policy states?"

This property's interpretation of "Continental breakfast" leaves a lot to be desired, and it is not what we usually expect from a PH. But it was in compliance with the Diamond Ts and Cs. At the end of it all, you were comped a $98 breakfast for complaining and whining about not liking the HGP program rules.

Last edited by divaof travel; May 29, 05 at 7:57 pm
Old May 29, 05, 8:22 pm

I may be missing something, buy I was under the impression that the OP was upset over the whole lack of Customer Service and the poor excuse for breakfast was just the straw that broke the camels back. The breakfast coupons are within the ‘letter of the law’ of the minimum definition of Continental Breakfast.

With regards to BC Park Hyatt, I’ve stayed there several times, and I agree when it comes to service it is a very poor excuse for a Park Hyatt. The only reason I go back is I really enjoy skiing, and it is the only true ski resort Hyatt has. When I am there I often get the feeling the staff thinks they are doing me a favor by letting me be there. They always seem to screw up the bill, take 5 hours to deliver the Diamond amenity, not manage to get the room cleaned etc.

It should not be a Park Hyatt.
Old May 29, 05, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not to defend it, but there has been a good number of threads about the "continental breakfast at deli" and "no suite for Diamonds" policy at PHBC. They have few suites, and it is not a Diamond perk anyway.

They keycard machine problem is disappointing and should be the focus of your complaint, should you decide to write to customer relations. The location of this property is so desirable, for skiing, that it is always booked up months in advance in the winter despite outrageous rates. When I was there this March, they had to forcibly remove a guest as he refused to check out after the end of his reserved stay. They were really, completely, 100% sold out. No they didn't oversell, he couldn't extend his reservation and simply refused to leave.

In a way, I suspect Hyatt needs this property more than this property needs Hyatt.

Last edited by TerryK; May 30, 05 at 12:06 am Reason: additional info
Old May 30, 05, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
...They have few suites, and it is not a Diamond perk anyway.

They keycard machine problem is disappointing and should be the focus of your complaint, should you decide to write to customer relations...
Although you have very little chance of getting a Suite, I’ve been fortunate enough to be upgrade to an Executive room a few times as a Diamond. These are about 50% larger than normal rooms and have gas fireplaces. I think if you are going to ask for an upgrade that is what you should shoot for.

When you use 1–800-checkin your key should be made before you get to the front desk. Isn’t the point of 1-800-checkin, so everything is ready and you can walk up grab your envelope and go. I seldom use it because it never seems to work they way it is suppose to, and just seems to confuse most front desk clerks.
Old May 30, 05, 4:55 pm

Upsetting given we live in Colorado...

Given the fact that we can get to this Park Resort without getting on an airplane and get there and back on one tank of gas, we would head there more often.

Unfortunately we just felt it was an attitude problem. I know Diva mentioned she thought Bonita had a mismanagement problem, which I have never seen. I just found out that IHH and Mrs. IHH (IndyHyattHopper, to those of you who don't know my dad -- Diamond since 1987) are in the Top 50 club of Hyatt Bonita and they reported that there was a HUGE change of personnel at my favorite stateside Bonita.

Diva ... we will let you know if Bonita gets back up to snuff...

Meanwhile, I guess I got VERY used to living in Europe!

I know a lot of you have had problems at the DTC, where I am the Customer of the Year (whatever THAT means!!!) For the time / energy / etc. I will stick to the DTC instead of the PHBC!

Off to Chicago next weekend...
Old May 31, 05, 11:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TerryK
Not to defend it, but there has been a good number of threads about the "continental breakfast at deli" and "no suite for Diamonds" policy at PHBC. They have few suites, and it is not a Diamond perk anyway.

They keycard machine problem is disappointing and should be the focus of your complaint, should you decide to write to customer relations. The location of this property is so desirable, for skiing, that it is always booked up months in advance in the winter despite outrageous rates. When I was there this March, they had to forcibly remove a guest as he refused to check out after the end of his reserved stay. They were really, completely, 100% sold out. No they didn't oversell, he couldn't extend his reservation and simply refused to leave.

In a way, I suspect Hyatt needs this property more than this property needs Hyatt.

This is exactly on point. I do not understand that BHH was taken aback by these developments as she is a frequent poster on FT and in this forum. I had supposed that most who post in this forum do read postings by other FT members and/or do a search of a property that they intend to visit so that they can get a heads up about the property before they arrive, so I was quite surprised about the statement about the valet parking, the cont'l breakfast and the lack of a suite U/G.

I was fortunate to have received a suite U/G during my stay, but then again, I stayed in a low season month of October -- was out there because of a wedding in Vail -- and certainly would not have expected one over the Memorial Day weekend.

I must disagree with many of the posters herein -- the hotel provided what they were required to provide. The sense of some herein concerning entitlement is quite disturbing, IMHO, especially since they should have know otherwise -- and they would have -- had they bothered to read the posts of others concerning this property.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: