Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Colorado REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Colorado REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TerryK
Wow! How did I miss that? I was charged resort fee this March for paid nights and thought nothing wrong of it. I am a Globalist on mixed paid/award stay.
I would contact the property and request a refund.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I would contact the property and request a refund.
PHBC turned me down. They claimed that my rate was a special discounted rate and not an eligible rate for resort fee waiver. That seems to be a convenient loophole.

Last edited by TerryK; Apr 10, 2017 at 11:36 am
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
PHBC turn me down. They claim that my rate was a special discounted rate and not an eligible rate for resort fee waiver. That seems to be a convenient loophole.
Here's the full definition of "Eligible" and "Ineligible" rates:
An “Eligible Rate” is defined as any hotel or resort room rate published by Hyatt (including rates found on hyatt.com without the application of a discount code, and Hyatt’s “Standard Rate,” “Volume Account Rates,” “Senior Citizen Rate,” and the monetary portion of any Points + Cash Award (as defined in Appendix B)). A portion of an Eligible Rate may reflect taxes, service charges, gratuities, and third-party charges for certain included items, and those costs may not be eligible for points. “Ineligible Rates” are all rates other than Eligible Rates and include Free Night Awards (as defined in Appendix B), rooms booked on third-party online retailers (such as Expedia.com, Travelocity.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline.com, Tripadvisor.com or any other third-party online/mobile travel portal or bookings made directly on Google.com and TripAdvisor Instant Book), traditional wholesale rates (examples include, without limitation, GOGO Worldwide Vacations, Pleasant Holidays, Tourico, and Hotelbeds), airline crew rates, airline employee rates, travel agency employee rates, Club at the Hyatt discount stays, Hyatt employee or employee family or friends-and-family discount rates, airline interrupted-trip vouchers, or contracted rooms. (A “contracted room” is a room that has been reserved pursuant to a written and executed agreement between a hotel or resort and a corporation, government agency, or individual for a negotiated room rate in exchange for an agreed upon number of rooms to be rented for an extended period of time.)
Basically, if you booked it through hyatt.com, it's eligible, unless you used a "discount code." Not clear exactly what one of those is . . . for example, a AAA or Costco rate is an "eligible" rate.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
Do they still charge the winter parking rate in the spring? Thinking of going later this month or early next month, but $50 for parking outside of ski season is crazy!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: UA: MM
Not sure if it was mentioned anywhere up-thread, but the Hyatt Mountain Lodge is a really nice option in BC. It is more or less across the village from the Park (think behind the Blue Moose). It is much more laid back than the Park and doesn't charge extra for parking (it is included in their resort charges) and the rooms have mini kitchens if you want to save a bit on lunch. They do have a nice continental breakfast.

We stayed there over Spring Break and will probably go back. The Park was a complete zoo where the ML just seemed more calm and relaxed. It is actually possible to ski in but it really isn't that big a deal to walk across the village. As I recall it was 5,000 points less than the Park too.

FWIW
DLM
Old May 30, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jdawg
Do they still charge the winter parking rate in the spring? Thinking of going later this month or early next month, but $50 for parking outside of ski season is crazy!
Planning to go there this weekend so I'll report.
But their website says $30/day from Memorial Day through mid-October.
https://beavercreek.park.hyatt.com/e...irections.html
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Mini-review, so not using the FT review template.

Overall, fairly nice stay. Beaver Creek is beautiful, and it's a great location just a few minutes from Vail. It's also very quiet since it's part of a gated community.

Pros:
- Breakfast at 8100 (restaurant) was quite good. The buffet was open one morning and had an appropriate selection, along with a chef who did made-to-order omelets. I was told the benefit is $120, but even though I was slightly over one morning it was taken care of.
- Room Service is also a benefit. However, the room service fee (22%) wasn't automatically removed, and the front desk had to ask the manager to remove the fee from my folio.
- Resort fee is completely waived for Globalists.
- Parking is not officially waived. However, it never showed up on my bill, so I'm counting it as a pro^
- My kids loved the s'mores at night. Great being outside with the campfires enjoying the late spring/early summer weather.
- The view is very pretty, and they have well maintained grounds.
- Heated pool (year-round). It was a little chilly for me when I tried it at night (~80?), but is probably the perfect temperature if it's warm/hot during the day. Multiple hot tubs was also nice, although I'd imagine they get very crowded in the winter.

Cons:
- The one main negative was the room condition. One of the screens on the window wasn't attached, and even after they tried to fix it, it still didn't sit right (large gaps with no coverage) so we didn't want to use the window. Also the security deadbolt was literally falling out of the door frame - the wood appeared to be completely stripped. The close-up vanity mirror/light in the bathroom didn't work. I expect those things to occasionally happen at a Regency (or HH/HP), but not a Park.
- Secondly, there was a significant service fail with room service. We ordered it to be delivered at 6AM. At 6:15 we called, and the front desk said that "ordering at 6AM actually means it will be delivered between 6:00-6:30). Ok... but nobody said that. And the food still didn't arrive until 6:38, which meant we were cutting our drive back to Denver airport really close.
- Ice Skating was closed for renovations (not that big of a deal, and not under their control)
- Lifts weren't running. We did ride Gondola One in Vail, but would have loved to go up Beaver Creek as well (the ticket covers both).

Overall, the employees were friendly. Service in the restaurant was good and the food was in general very well done. The grounds are beautiful, and (I'd imagine) amazing in the winter. That being said, it's not quite what I'd expected from a Park Hyatt (room quality, and a service issue).
I'd certainly come again on a good rate in shoulder season, but otherwise I'd probably look elsewhere.

Last edited by jameswes; Jun 6, 2017 at 3:10 pm
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:29 am

Can anyone recommend reliable and not so expensive transportation from EGE airport to the PH Beaver Creek. Traveling on January 2 adults and 2 kids. I was hoping to get Uber but it says right now it's not available.

Thank you.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rusikusa
Can anyone recommend reliable and not so expensive transportation from EGE airport to the PH Beaver Creek. Traveling on January 2 adults and 2 kids. I was hoping to get Uber but it says right now it's not available.

Thank you.
The options are taxi, CME, ECO Bus or rental car. ECO Bus is the lowest cost but only runs about once per hour. You also need to change in Avon. For 2+2, taxi will be cheaper than CME. Beware of high parking charges if you rent a car.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:47 pm

The options are taxi, CME, ECO Bus or rental car. ECO Bus is the lowest cost but only runs about once per hour. You also need to change in Avon. For 2+2, taxi will be cheaper than CME. Beware of high parking charges if you rent a car.
Taxi versus CME being cheaper depends a little on the age of the kids. CME often has a promotion that kids under 12 are $2. That could make CME slightly less expensive, but CME is a shared shuttle versus private taxi. For the price difference, just take the High Mountain Taxi.

If you did want to take the bus from EGE, you could get off at the Beaver Creek Elk Lot. There is a complimentary shuttle from there to Beaver Creek Village.

All this said, if you are trying to save a few hundred dollars, Beaver Creek may not be the place to try and do it.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Wow I hope it gets better! Arrived tonight for a 7 night stay and am not at all impressed. Not even close to SR Deer Valley or SR Aspen for anyone who thought it may be comparable. Cleanliness, service, and attention to detail are severely lacking.
  • Room is nice and location seems great.
  • Valet/Bell staff was helpful and efficient.
  • Resort fee is waived and parking is free as a Globalist on points
The BAD and the just NOT GOOD
  • Antlers lobby bar is a nice setting and has potential but has zero service and is borderline disgusting. Nobody offered to serve us or to clean the mess the previous group left - some kind of seafood cocktail mess with shells and bits of food on the table and floor. When I tracked someone down to clear the table they removed the dishes and wiped the food and shells onto the floor and left. When I went up to the bar to get drinks (no service) the sole bartender had his back to us struggling with the pos system long enough that the guy in front of me just left and his party got up and walked out. 24 minutes after we arrived (I timed it) some staff came by to clean the table and floor area. Nobody checked on us or cleared empties the entire time we were there.
  • Only one agent working the front desk at 6pm - a line the entire time. Not the end of the world but I prefer to check in and ask a few questions about the resort without feeling rushed.
  • Emailed ahead to see if they might have a memory foam or very firm pillow - was told they did and it would be in the room. It wasn't. Called down and they sent up another standard pillow - identical to others in the room.
  • Ordered a chicken quesadilla and they brought chicken tenders.
I've only been here for 4 hours. I'm tired, disappointed, and a bit embarrassed that I oversold this place to my group - so I'm going to bed. I really hope it improves tomorrow

DAY 4 UPDATE: It is better - perhaps a combination of improvement on their part and lowered expectations on mine, but they seem to be trying. I'll give more detail later, but there definitely are staffing issues - a combination of local housing costs and visa restrictions on foreign workers from what I can gather. It's a nice place on par with the Westin Mammoth but don't come here expecting a St Regis, Ritz Carlton, or Four Seasons level of service and attention.

Last edited by PHX_SOUS; Jan 2, 2018 at 6:00 pm
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by PHX_SOUS

DAY 4 UPDATE: It is better - perhaps a combination of improvement on their part and lowered expectations on mine, but they seem to be trying. I'll give more detail later, but there definitely are staffing issues - a combination of local housing costs and visa restrictions on foreign workers from what I can gather. It's a nice place on par with the Westin Mammoth but don't come here expecting a St Regis, Ritz Carlton, or Four Seasons level of service and attention.
How did the rest of your stay go? I'll be there for four nights at the end of the month. TA reviews are saying that service has really dropped off in the last year.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GH83
How did the rest of your stay go? I'll be there for four nights at the end of the month. TA reviews are saying that service has really dropped off in the last year.
How was your stay? I'm heading there next weekend for four nights also. Haven't been in a couple of years.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by britishcanuck
How was your stay? I'm heading there next weekend for four nights also. Haven't been in a couple of years.
The stay was great. It seemed like they were a bit understaffed, but it didn't end up being a problem for us. Most of the TA reviews I had read were around the holidays, so I imagine being understaffed was a bigger issue during the peak period.

The area has not gotten much snow this year, so the skiing wasn't fantastic. At least there were no lines for the lifts. I bet the bad conditions on the mountain plus the staff issues resulted in so many poor reviews.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
I stayed for 2 nights last week (after 2 nights at the Sheraton Mountain Vista where I used 23k SPG (11.5k/night) for a very nice premium 1BR villa w/ full kitchen, fireplace, free garage parking, and full size barbecue grill on the balcony that we actually used).

The 2 nights at PHBC were also awards -- one Cat 7 night and then 30k points. We were upgraded at check-in without request, to a fireplace slopeside junior suite, very nice room though small for a suite (even for a junior suite). Much better than I was anticipating based on the reviews here -- balcony looked directly onto the slopes and the fireplace was a nice touch. Of course, checking in at 3:30 p.m. on an off-week Wednesday surely helped a fair bit with the upgrade.

Check-in was different to say the least -- I had checked out of the Sheraton that morning, my wife took the car and dropped me off, and we agreed to meet at the PH at 3:30 -- she came by car, and I came on ski. It was indeed very convenient to ski down all the way to the ski valet (but do try to keep some momentum when you turn to the right under the Buckaroo lift or you'll find yourself poling/skating for a minute at the end as you approach the valet). My wife was waiting there by the fire pit, I handed over my skis, went to the boot room and handed over my boots (changing into the shoes my wife had in hand -- the rest of the bags were with the bell folks), and went to check in. Very easy. Agent gave us smores kits to use by the fireplace, which we did later on.

Had a couple drinks at the lobby (antlers) bar. Saw onion soup on the room service menu so we asked about it -- it wasn't on the bar menu, but no trouble to get it from the restaurant or wherever, it came promptly and was a delicious apres ski snack. (We went to Splendido later that evening for a delightful multi-course meal.)

Didn't have to ask for resort/parking to be waived.

Valet was awesome, car was always pulled up promptly upon calling. Surprising, we used our car a lot -- went out for Vietnamese one night, and also drove over to Splendido. Another time I had to go send something at the UPS store. All in all, despite the obvious convenience of ski-in/ski-out, I actually think I preferred staying in Avon, so I don't think I'll be returning any time soon... I'm over my "must ski all 7 hours" days and am just as happy to ski 10:30 to 3 with a short break instead of many or longer breaks, so the 5 minute drive up from Avon really isn't that bad, and it seemed awfully convenient to have the in-town options near the Sheraton. I might have felt differently if the PH had any sort of bar scene or a variety of restaurants though. And perhaps down the road w/ kids, the convenience of ski-in/ski-out for multiple people would make it worth the $$ or points.

Not much else to report. I would agree that there's nothing especially Park Hyatt-y about the property -- it could just as well pass for a nicer Westin like Mammoth or Tremblant. But I also don't think it's a "bad" place... just not worth the high price tag to someone like me, though I was more than happy to try it once (and no regrets given the short expiry on the Cat 7 cert).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.