Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Colorado REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Colorado REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 28, 11, 11:00 am
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant View Post
I am trying to book a late summer stay, and all reservations (regardless of rate selected) show a required deposit and then then cryptic, poorly worded cancellation and deposit statements about all nights charged as a deposit. Is this normal?

Cancellation Policy:
Deposit on File of Time of Cancel is Forfeited.

Deposit Policy:
Deposit Required By February 28, 2011. Deposit By Credit Card Required. Up To 3 Night(S) Deposit Will Be Charged To Credit Card
I've seen something like that during ski season. But for a late Summer reservation, I wouldn't expect something like that. I guess you should call or email the hotel to clarify.
Old Mar 1, 11, 5:42 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I'm heading to Beaver Creek this weekend and I wanted to get some recommendations on some nearby restaurants. I've been wanting to check this place out ever since I got hooked on Hyatt, and the trip is finally approaching. It's a group of 4 adults and we wanted to do a couple nice dinners and then do something more casual for the other nights (5 nights total). We want to do steaks one night and it seems like the best/only steakhouse is the Beaver Creek Chophouse. Is there a better steakhouse? (the tripadvisor reviews are mixed)

Also are there any other restaurants we should check out? We would prefer something within walking distance, but we'll have a car so driving somewhere would be OK. We like all sorts of food, but Italian is one of our favorites. And for casual places, really anything is fine. We will not have kids with us, so anywhere with good food and a decent beer selection would work.

Also, from what I've read Beaver Creek is mostly dead by 10pm which is great since it's all about the skiing for me anyway, but if I do get dragged out one night are there any decent bars nearby? Or would we need to drive to Vail?

Thanks
Old Mar 1, 11, 6:45 pm

Try vin48. They have good American style tapas and wine.
Also there is nice restaurant inside ritz Carlton. Unfortunately not many places you can walk unless you stay inside the village which has bleh food
Old Mar 2, 11, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by wonghenhen View Post
Try vin48. They have good American style tapas and wine.
Also there is nice restaurant inside ritz Carlton. Unfortunately not many places you can walk unless you stay inside the village which has bleh food
Thanks for the recommendation, the Vin48 menu looks great. We'll definitely give it a try.
Old Mar 3, 11, 8:24 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by spgplat21 View Post
Thanks for the recommendation, the Vin48 menu looks great. We'll definitely give it a try.
We just got back from the Westin Riverfront in Avon. We first went to Vin48 when they opened a few years ago and returned twice this past week for their happy hour from 5:00 - 6:30 (wine bar seating only). All small plates are $8, and two wines are offered for $5/glass. This past week, the $5 wines were a Pinot Grigio and a nice Nero d'Avola.

The antipasti offered a surprising assortment of unique appetizers. The scallops were our favorite that we ordered both nights. The only disappointing item was the beef carpaccio which I didn't think had much flavor. Our other favorites were the oxtail pot pie and duck confit sliders. Our neighbor's mussels looked good, but we didn't order them.

We liked our Italian meal at Zino Ristorante in Edwards (behind the Inn at Riverwalk). We thought that our waiter was inattentive, but other waitstaff seemed to be on top of things.

Also in Edwards, we returned to tapas restaurant Dish.

FWIW, the Hyatt's 8100 Mountainside Bar & Grill currently offers 1,000 points for opentable.com dinner reservations arriving between 5:30 and 6:30. We didn't eat there, but their pricey lunch menu looked good.

All of the above restaurants are on opentable.com.

(Aside: I just noticed that I now have OpenTable VIP status. )
Old Mar 9, 11, 1:30 pm

Just got back from my stay and I had an excellent time. The bright spots were the buffet breakfast, the hotel's location, and the outdoor hottubs.

The breakfast was amazing every morning and we had great service each time. The best part was that it was free, but even if I weren't diamond it is worth a splurge at least one morning. Most days I only had a slight snack for lunch because I was still full from breakfast.

We ate one night at Vin48 which was really good. We had a car so it didn't matter, but one negative is that the hotel doesn't have a car service. We also ate at Toscanini (stay away). The food was mediocre and our service was terrible. The food at Blue Moose Pizza place next door was much better and our waiter was 100x better.

The hotel's location is it's #1 asset as mentioned in other threads, but the hotel has a lot more going for it as well. The spa was huge and very luxurious. It was one of the nicest I've experiecned at a ski property. They also had a special for a $99 50-minute massage which was a great deal for such an expensive resort. The hotel's outdoor pool and hot tub area was very nice as well. It was really crowded from 4-7pm, but after 7pm the place was pretty much deserted and we had our pick of hot tubs.

There were a few negatives, but these were certainly outweighed by all the positives. A couple times, we were very surprised at a lack of knowledge of the surrounding area. We asked a couple times about how to get to places in the Village and in Avon, CO and several of the staff had NO idea where anything was. The bathrooms in the rooms were much more Hyatt Regency than Park Hyatt. The property also has tons of families (which can be a pro or con). It created a much different feel than most ski resorts I've stayed at, because there was hardly anybody at the hotel between the ages of 19-32. It was mostly families with teenage children and a couple times we had some less than pleasant interactions with obnoxious teens.

Overall we had an excellent stay and I will definitely return. In comparing this to other top ski hotels, I think the Park Hyatt compares to the few Westin ski properties I've been to (Whistler & Mammoth). The hotel was not up to the luxury standards of the St. Regis & Four Seasons ski properties, but the Park Hyatt's prices are cheaper. This and the free breakfast made up most of the difference for me.
Old Mar 9, 11, 2:05 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by spgplat21 View Post
We ate one night at Vin48 which was really good. We had a car so it didn't matter, but one negative is that the hotel doesn't have a car service. We also ate at Toscanini (stay away). The food was mediocre and our service was terrible. The food at Blue Moose Pizza place next door was much better and our waiter was 100x better.
At the Westin Riverfront, our concierge completely marked through Toscanini with a black marker when presenting us with their list of recommended restaurants.
Old Mar 9, 11, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by sc flier View Post
At the Westin Riverfront, our concierge completely marked through Toscanini with a black marker when presenting us with their list of recommended restaurants.
Haha, that was lucky for you and I'm glad that people are aware of how bad this place is. In fairness to the PH, we didn't ask them before trying it. We just felt like Italian and saw the place walking through the village.
Old Mar 17, 11, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
Need advice on staying here in off season

I'm taking my hubby to Colorado for his 40th bday May 28 - June 5. We're doing 2 nights in Denver and then three nights in Estes Park at a home that we're renting. But between the two, we need a destination for three nights, so I was thinking of the Hyatt Beaver Creek. FHR has a great deal right now for this property where you pay for two nights and get the third free, in addition to their regular benefits ($100 property credit, upgrade, etc.). I'm also trying to requal for diamond and a stay here would definitely help.

DH and I don't ski anyway, so I'm trying to determine if this is the type of place that only skiiers go to? Would you say there is enough to "do" here and in the immediate environs at that time of year? What will the Village be like? For example, I was reading about a slopeside restaurant that sounded good, but I doubt that will be open anymore in early June.

Guess there are a lot of questions here, but I'm just not sure if I'm "wasting" my time staying in a place like Beaver Creek when we don't even ski, and are going in off-season.
Old Mar 18, 11, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Off Season

You may want to check out also the "Spring Renewal" package. You get one massage ($160 value) per day paying the $169 daily rate.

FHR benefits don't really give you much beyond your diamond benefits, other than the $100 per stay. Breakfast is comped and you get upgraded to Slopeside (highest category "room") anyway. The Executive Kings are harder to upgrade into now that they rebranded them the Park Fireside Suite.

Golf is another option if you don't ski (no skiing anyway in late May). Biking and hiking are other options.

Finally, BC is always a great place just to relax (for me at least). The Spa is great, hotel restaurant is fine, and the gym, hot tubs, and pool are really good....

Originally Posted by blase View Post
I'm taking my hubby to Colorado for his 40th bday May 28 - June 5. We're doing 2 nights in Denver and then three nights in Estes Park at a home that we're renting. But between the two, we need a destination for three nights, so I was thinking of the Hyatt Beaver Creek. FHR has a great deal right now for this property where you pay for two nights and get the third free, in addition to their regular benefits ($100 property credit, upgrade, etc.). I'm also trying to requal for diamond and a stay here would definitely help.

DH and I don't ski anyway, so I'm trying to determine if this is the type of place that only skiiers go to? Would you say there is enough to "do" here and in the immediate environs at that time of year? What will the Village be like? For example, I was reading about a slopeside restaurant that sounded good, but I doubt that will be open anymore in early June.

Guess there are a lot of questions here, but I'm just not sure if I'm "wasting" my time staying in a place like Beaver Creek when we don't even ski, and are going in off-season.
Old May 14, 11, 12:23 pm

I am looking book a night here on 5/31 (a Tuesday) and for weeks now, the lowest advance purchase rate has been $101.15 for the basic room, an the Park Fireside Suite has been $131.15 a night! Awesome, right? But I waited on booking, as I couldn't decide for sure if we wanted to drive to Beaver Creek for one night, but finally came to the decision last night that I was going to go ahead and book it....

Of course I go on this morning and that rate is no longer available!! Now the basic Courtyard room is $119 and the Park Fireside Suite isn't even available to be booked!!! Is there any way I can still hope that that rate will turn up? I am soooo bummed!!
Old May 14, 11, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, & PC
I am looking book a night here on 5/31 (a Tuesday) and for weeks now, the lowest advance purchase rate has been $101.15 for the basic room, an the Park Fireside Suite has been $131.15 a night! Awesome, right? But I waited on booking, as I couldn't decide for sure if we wanted to drive to Beaver Creek for one night, but finally came to the decision last night that I was going to go ahead and book it....

Of course I go on this morning and that rate is no longer available!! Now the basic Courtyard room is $119 and the Park Fireside Suite isn't even available to be booked!!! Is there any way I can still hope that that rate will turn up? I am soooo bummed!!
Call directly to the hotel and see what they can do for you. Sometimes they can work some magic.

If you're diamond then definitely call your PL rep!
Old May 15, 11, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by devastor View Post
Call directly to the hotel and see what they can do for you. Sometimes they can work some magic.

If you're diamond then definitely call your PL rep!
I'm downgraded to Plat right now but am in the midst of requalifying for Diamond.

I think I'm just going to go ahead and book the FHR rate now... it's $144 for the Slopeside King room (as opposed to $152 for the Courtyard or the Highlands view rooms - that's weird, right?) and then we'll get the free breakfast along with late checkout and $100 property credit (which we'll use at the spa). That's pretty good for a one night stay!
Old May 16, 11, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, & PC
I'm downgraded to Plat right now but am in the midst of requalifying for Diamond.

I think I'm just going to go ahead and book the FHR rate now... it's $144 for the Slopeside King room (as opposed to $152 for the Courtyard or the Highlands view rooms - that's weird, right?) and then we'll get the free breakfast along with late checkout and $100 property credit (which we'll use at the spa). That's pretty good for a one night stay!
Sounds great to me. This hotel during the height of ski season is over $700 a night!
Old May 21, 11, 3:02 pm

Are FHR/Virtuoso benefits combinable with renewal rate? I may go there for a day and a combo of $100 credit plus massage is quite attractive on sub-200 rate.

My experience with off season stay there last may was less than stellar with restaurant service and quality being more suitable for hyatt place.

Originally Posted by jkc22 View Post
You may want to check out also the "Spring Renewal" package. You get one massage ($160 value) per day paying the $169 daily rate.

FHR benefits don't really give you much beyond your diamond benefits, other than the $100 per stay. Breakfast is comped and you get upgraded to Slopeside (highest category "room") anyway. The Executive Kings are harder to upgrade into now that they rebranded them the Park Fireside Suite.

Golf is another option if you don't ski (no skiing anyway in late May). Biking and hiking are other options.

Finally, BC is always a great place just to relax (for me at least). The Spa is great, hotel restaurant is fine, and the gym, hot tubs, and pool are really good....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: