Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Kuantan - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Kuantan - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2009, 8:08 pm

has anyone stayed in Hyatt Kuantan with a company code before?
Do they ask for staff verification, etc?

Also, of late, are their service alright?

thanks
Old Nov 1, 2009, 8:25 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Hi, this is the same owner as Bali, and Jogya, and if that's any bearing on your question I would say "absolutely Yes". As late as last week, even as a Diamond and a regular, I am still quizzed at the reception prior to allowing access to the club. not a direct answer, but it may help, regards bkkrop
Old Nov 1, 2009, 8:48 pm

thanks BKKROP!
any idea what sort of proof would they require?

I'm wanting to go for a personal holiday, and dont want my company to be alerted or "involved", everytime i want to stay at a hotel.

But company rates are just soooo good. so im just weighing out my options.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 9:22 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by thousands
any idea what sort of proof would they require?

I'm wanting to go for a personal holiday, and dont want my company to be alerted or "involved", everytime i want to stay at a hotel.
Hotels who ask for ID want to see your business card or your company ID. I think it's highly unusual that the hotel would contact your company.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 11:18 pm

oic... ok thanks SanDiego1K
then that would be fine, if its just to verify that i'm an actual employee.
I just dont want the hassle where I have to print out a letter and I need to get the letter from our global travel dept.

Hopefully it will be a good relaxing trip.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:23 am

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Hi thousands, I hope you are not paying too much, this is an old Hyatt, very much like the Hyatt in Sanur and Bandung. It is on a beautiful beach and if you go with the idea that this is a Traders or what I invisage a Hyatt Place hotel is like, you will be happy. I can buy this hotel for AU$100, you must have a sweetheart deal to kill for, enjoy your holiday, regards bkkrop
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:34 am

thanks for the pre-empt.
actually kinda eyeing the Regency Executive Suite, is it worth it?

i was totally impressed with park hyatt but I've been told that not everywhere is like that.
although im quite alright with an older hotel, I hope that the rooms will be quite decent and I also do know that I can't use PH as the benchmark.
Old May 27, 2010, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
Just had a 3 night stay at this property.

The room I had (5th floor Regency Club room - facing the street / hill) was decent. Some items did not work in the room such as internet access, which was a major pain, but it was well decorated and worked.

They are doing renovations on building 1 currently, so rooms there should be nicely refreshed soon.

I found the food in the Regency Club to be fair at best. Some items were stale, the selection pretty week, and the warm items (2 for the evening) repeated during my 3 nights. The breakfast options were pretty basic as well. I would have done better to have paid 200 MYR less and bought food/drinks at the hotels food outlets.

The restaurant (for a dinner and lunch) had good selctions and views. Pool bar staff were friendly.

There is a high number of security guards at the hotel. Not sure if they have had problems, but likely given their #'s. The beach area turns into a night hotspot for locals during the weekend. If you are into mixing it up, they are fun and open people to hang with.

The hot humid weather drove us into the next door McDonalds for an ice cream -- and this has to be one of the best looking and located McD's on the planet.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SG Solitaire PPS, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Staying here at the moment in a Regency suite on a diamond upgrade. Room is nicely situated looking out to sea, room is a little tired, light on desk doesn't work, TV in bedroom won't tune, can't find a way to switch hall light off!!

We are in "village 3". Someone said that building (village) 1 had been refurbished. We are here for a few days, might it be worth asking to move?

Cheers,

Marcus.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 7:44 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SG Solitaire PPS, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Hilton Diamond
We decided to make an executive decision and leave early on the basis this place is a little bit of a "hole".

Off back to Singapore tomorrow. And $SGD580 per night....whooopee.

Not business, but pleasure and self funded. Hyatt ought to be far better than this, and typically is...

Cheers.
Old May 30, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: SWA CP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Amb.
Had a pleasant 2 night stay here last week while travelling between Singapore and KL. Booked a corp rate at about $90 USD/night, seemed about right for a cat 1.

Check in went smoothly, I was asked for my business card for my corp rate, and we were placed to a room in the RC building with a partial ocean view. Everything in the room worked without issues, wired internet (wireless only in lobby and RC), hot water, etc. Amenity was a box of chocolates and a fruit plate. Nice hand-written message from the GM as well. Bath amenities were not brand name and did not suit my tastes.

RC was excellent, from the moment we entered the staff was attentive and friendly. Beer and wine were complimentary and there were enough canapes and hot options to satisfy. Breakfast was good as well. On property restaurant was a bit pricey for standard Malay food, however still reasonable and tasty for those not wanting to venture out. The McDonalds adjacent to this property is one of the nicest I've seen; never seen one with beach access before.

The beach was tiny and sand was rough however the water was nice and warm. The 2 on property pools were saline and nice as well, although they closed at 8pm.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:08 pm

Programs: AS 75k, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, National EE
Recent stays/reviews?

I'm considering a stay here in the summer, just as a quick getaway. Any recent visits/reviews? Early reviews here seem bad, but recent ones appear to be a bit better. TripAdvisor, for what it's worth, doesn't seem to be too bad.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:29 pm

Just returned from this property.

Pros:
- a small handful of staff, including most who work in the Regency Club, are extremely warm and helpful.

Cons:
- just about EVERYTHING else.
- rooms and public areas are old and poorly maintained.
- restaurants are understaffed and most staff ate undertrained.
- there is a serious issue with hygiene - found bird-poo on the pool bar(!) and on the balcony.
- the list gets on but I'll save that for the online guest satisfaction survey...
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by milehighj
Just returned from this property.

Pros:
- a small handful of staff, including most who work in the Regency Club, are extremely warm and helpful.

Cons:
- just about EVERYTHING else.
- rooms and public areas are old and poorly maintained.
- restaurants are understaffed and most staff ate undertrained.
- there is a serious issue with hygiene - found bird-poo on the pool bar(!) and on the balcony.
- the list gets on but I'll save that for the online guest satisfaction survey...
Well I may just have to cancel my plans for Kuantan. Nice looking pictures on the website and 5k points a night is attractive. But not interested in experiencing everything else.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:02 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I stayed at the Hyatt Kuantan back in May 2013; I should have written about it while the pain was fresh in my memory.

The primary issue I had was that there was ongoing construction right next to the hotel -- directly adjacent to the building in which they house Diamonds and Regency Club guests. (If it's the abandoned Sheraton that was mentioned upthread, well, they're working on it again.) That's not the hotel's fault, of course, but had they warned me on check-in, I would have instead stayed in one of the non-RC buildings furthest from the construction.

I had used a suite upgrade, and they had given me a room as close to the construction as it was possible to be. I was surprised at 9 am the following morning with the noise of non-stop pile-driving. Fortunately I soon left for sightseeing that day, but the scenario repeated the following morning, and the noise made the room pretty much uninhabitable for much of the day. I ultimately sought refuge by the pool, which I suppose is not a bad thing.

After I complained (again, my issue was that I was not warned about the construction noise at check-in, when I could have taken a different room), the manager comped me a dinner at the rather expensive Italian restaurant. He also offered a room change, but as I was leaving the next morning, anyway, the damage was already done. I was firm but forceful in that it was a waste of a suite upgrade and wanted them to return it, which they did sometime after my stay.

Otherwise, there's not much either great or horrible to report about the Hyatt Kuantan. It's in need of renovation, but given the low price and seemingly low occupancy, I don't know if that will happen anytime soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.