Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place New York / Chelsea REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2021, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

I've noticed a Hyatt Place option when looking at NYC hotels - Hyatt Place New York / Chelsea.

It seems to be in a pretty good location - 24th between 6th and 7th - but I haven't noticed it in searches before.

It's hard to tell if it's a new hotel or an existing property that temporarily closed for COVID. Based on the lack of reviews / information, I'm guessing it's new.

Does anyone have any info on it?

Rates in NYC are pretty great in general right now and the property is pricing in a similar range as the Hotel 50 Bowery and Gild Hall, but I'd guess that when things go back to "normal" it might be a more affordable option.

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ne...-chelsea/lgazc

Now accepting reservations for stays from August 27, 2021 and beyond.

Last edited by coleslaw; Mar 15, 2021 at 7:28 am
Old Mar 7, 2021, 12:31 am

It's a new build by Sam Chang/Gene Kaufman. Tall, slim with the same old boring facade as all of their projects.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 6:01 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
It is accepting reservations from August 27th onward, so it is not available yet.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EdofFX
It is accepting reservations from August 27th onward, so it is not available yet.
Yes, I was looking at dates later in the year.

Rooms sound pretty small even by NYC standards - approx. 200sq ft (I consider about 300sq ft as the average for NYC).

I’d guess the bathrooms must be absolutely tiny to accommodate a king bed and a sleeper sofa.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
I lived around the block for several years.
Close to Whole Foods Market, several subway stations. Walking distance to Madison Square Park, Penn Station.
There is a homeless shelter on w25th street, between 6th ave & 7th ave ("Bowery Residents' Committee" brc.org). Right across from the new Marriott "Renaissance Chelsea".
Old Mar 7, 2021, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zip10001
I lived around the block for several years.
Close to Whole Foods Market, several subway stations. Walking distance to Madison Square Park, Penn Station.
There is a homeless shelter on w25th street, between 6th ave & 7th ave ("Bowery Residents' Committee" brc.org). Right across from the new Marriott "Renaissance Chelsea".
Yes, the location seems really convenient, being “on the right side” of Penn. The whole Penn Station / PABT / Times Square area has degenerated incredibly quickly over the past year and would make this a clear choice vs the HP Times Square property when the prices are roughly the same.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Cat 5

I've just noticed that this is a Category Five property - 20,000 points a night!

This seems pretty ambitious given that it's a Hyatt Place in a city that's probably going to be struggling for the next few years...
Old Apr 8, 2021, 9:49 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt
Originally Posted by coleslaw

Rooms sound pretty small even by NYC standards - approx. 200sq ft (I consider about 300sq ft as the average for NYC).

I’d guess the bathrooms must be absolutely tiny to accommodate a king bed and a sleeper sofa.
Yeah 200 sq ft is small... but the hotel website has updated, and all of the rooms are now advertised as only 180 sq ft. Time to change my reservation.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jjmpdx
Yeah 200 sq ft is small... but the hotel website has updated, and all of the rooms are now advertised as only 180 sq ft. Time to change my reservation.
That’s insane. And a Cat 5. Delusional.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 7:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
That’s insane. And a Cat 5. Delusional.
Not really as all Hyatts in Manhattan are 20K or higher except for Gill Hall.
I am pretty sure you can say the same for the Manhattan Hiltons and Marriott's too,
Old Oct 22, 2021, 3:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Anybody had their rez canceled here on account of a pushed opening date?
Old Oct 22, 2021, 9:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver

300sounds bigger than average to me. I’d say 250 sq , which is the Sheraton room size
Old Feb 6, 2022, 11:23 am

Stayed here recently and the rooms are tiny but well laid out. Very little sound proofing and due to low rates lots of guests seem to be having parties with loud music etc. so it’s hard to sleep (front desk handles it very poorly). 4 elevators but 2 have been out of service for a while (so we were told.

Overall average hotel much like the hyatt place in Times Square but not with it for longer stays unless the rate stays lower. Location is fantastic.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 10:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver, Delta Platinum, AA Platinum Pro
As noted by the previous commenter, room is well laid out for how small it is and you have plenty of space between the love seat (it is not a sofa) and the wall across from it where the TV is hung.

Staff is earnest if a bit overwhelmed at times. Gym is a bit larger than you might expect with divided areas for cardio and weights/stretching or yoga. Decent ceiling height makes it feel less claustrophobic than some other lower-level fitness centers. Breakfast is offered in two areas, one off of the lobby and one in the 2nd floor restaurant. The latter is more expansive and has both indoor and covered "sunroom" seating, so I would recommend it.

Why people can't quietly shut hotel room doors has always escaped me, but if my floor is any indicator, expect lots of slamming hotel room door noise coupled sometimes with vibrating reverberations. Thankfully, you can control the fan in the room, so I left it on low all the time and that drowned out most of the other hallway noise.

As is the trend with so many properties, not a drawer in sight for unpacking and the small wardrobe does not even contain shelves inside. You have one exterior shelf (which already has an ice bucket and two cups on it) above the coffeemaker counter and one very slim shelf in each of the two nightstands.

No luggage rack for your suitcase (at least not in my room), so you don't even have that as a somewhat useful option. There is a small stool that sort of works for that purpose.

Only one lone hook in the bathroom for hanging anything as well.

I would really like to meet the hotel designers and owners who think the majority of travelers are OK with such a lack of storage. It is an unforced error that will keep me from staying here in the future.

If you do stay here, take note of the elevators. There are two banks, each with two elevators, and open area between them. When you depress the button on either side it seems to call elevators for both banks. But, there is no easily seen light indicating when an elevator arrives, so you might stand on the end near one bank and your elevator actually arrives at the other end in the other bank. Beyond annoying. I found myself standing between the two banks and then dashing when I actually heard doors open.

Last edited by IndyJeffrey; Mar 10, 2023 at 6:58 pm
Old Mar 27, 2023, 4:22 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
I stayed here recently and agree with much of what has been said above. I've now stayed at six different McSams in Chelsea/Flatiron (Four Points, Doubletree, HGI, Hilton, Fairfield, Hyatt Place), and they're all more or less the same. I usually will just go with whichever has the best rate. They all have their drawbacks (notably the elevators and tiny hallways), but you can't beat their value, and they all have simple, clean rooms in a good location. This one definitely feels the newest and freshest out of all of those hotels. This one also has the advantage of being right in between two subway stations on 23rd Street, and this hotel is closer to true Chelsea than many of the others.

As a Discoverist, I was upgraded to a room with a city view and a sofa. The room was nice and clean and maybe didn't feel as cramped as some of the other McSams. The only downside was the lack of good bag/clothing storage. The staff did seem overwhelmed and like they probably needed another 2-3 people working the front desk and bag check. I never did breakfast, but there's a self-serve Starbucks machine in the lobby all day long. It's $5 for an espresso. There's a really good coffee shop just up the corner at 25th and 7th, so you're probably better off just going there.

I would stay here again, though I'd probably be willing to pick one of the other McSams if they were cheaper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.