Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Istanbul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt Istanbul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 8, 2004, 6:32 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I can only echo above. Was upgraded to a very nice suite as a D. The staff is excellent. OK location. My trip before I stayed at the Inter Continental. I could only look down from my room at the IC in lust of all the people enjoying their stay at the Hyatt. So my next trip I booked the Hyatt. Nice Lounge. Tours of course depart from Hotel. Excellent concierge staff versus the IC. In net. I also felt the IC was trying to rip me off. IMHO
Old Feb 8, 2004, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I like the Hyatt Istanbul quite a bit and they are great in many regards.

The 2 hotels I have a strong fondness for there are the Ciragan Palace and the Hyatt.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 1:58 pm
pdb

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GUWonder:
I like the Hyatt Istanbul quite a bit and they are great in many regards.

The 2 hotels I have a strong fondness for there are the Ciragan Palace and the Hyatt.
</font>
I have never stayed at the Hyatt Istanbul, but I did stay the the Ciragan Palace a couple of years ago and was very impressed--with its view overlooking the Bosphorus, it's gorgeous facilities, and its staff. As I plan to be traveling to Istanbul, this year, I'd appreciate knowing how you would rate the Hyatt comparatively. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 6:24 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pdb:
I have never stayed at the Hyatt Istanbul, but I did stay the the Ciragan Palace a couple of years ago and was very impressed--with its view overlooking the Bosphorus, it's gorgeous facilities, and its staff. As I plan to be traveling to Istanbul, this year, I'd appreciate knowing how you would rate the Hyatt comparatively. Thanks in advance. </font>
I am a Diamond member at Hyatt and a Leaders Club member in regard to Ciragan Palace, so that may have impacted my experience. If the Ciragan Palace was a 9.4/10.0, the Hyatt would be a 8.9/10.0. What impressed me was that the Hyatt actually gave me personal hotel stationary with my name pre-printed on it and a little gift that I could take home. The Hyatt is a modern hotel, the Ciragan Palace is a classic, unique property. Service at both is very good although I find the Ciragan Palace far more lively and better for hosting guests/visitors. I would say the Hyatt is a great value. The Ciragan you get what you pay for and then some.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 6:28 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by trd:
I will be there 3/2-6/04 on FFN -- if anyone else is there that time let's get together for a drink --email me.</font>
When I first looked at that, I thought how in the world could you have enough faster free nights to stay from March 2nd to June 4th, and then I did a double take and said if you are not American, then perhaps you are staying from Feb. 3rd to April 6th (more reasonable but still a stretch). Then I finally realized you meant March 2nd to 6th, 2004.

I must be sleepy.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I stayed at the Hyatt last month and was VERY pleased. Hotel was great and so was the service. Well, it may have had something to do with the number of guests that were there. I was wondering why everyone remembered my name and my curiosity was satisfied when the lounge agent alerted me to the fact that I was one of only two people on the floor.

Breakfast was served in the Restaurant and not the lounge (not sure if that was due to the occupancy level) but it was nice. Be prepared for the usual bomb checks driving in and the metal detector in the lobby. They also had just installed high-speed internet in the rooms which was given to guests free during the month-not sure what the daily rate will be?

Lastly, not having stayed at the Ciragan Palace I can't compare them but I have stayed at the Ritz and I must say that the Hyatt is a tie in comfort and service and truly only loses out in food quality.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 10:50 pm

My family stayed there a number of years ago during the Istanbul Summit. President and Hilary Clinton were in town at a different hotel; the Hyatt was assigned to the Canadian Prime Minister.

The staff carried it off very well.

The Sunday buffet is spectacular.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
Istanbul VERY mini report

Was there twice the past month, once on award stay, once paying. As a Diamond, given top floor room in front of hotel. Rooms on the south side of the front have Bosphorus view. But you need to be up high or your're blocked by the building across the street.

Location: Near Taksim square and the pedestrian mall, a great area. Taxis to Blue Mosque, Topkapi, etc., will run about 15 lira while airport will run about 30-35 (1 lira ~ 75 US cents).

Rooms are very nicely done, but small. Glassed-in shower, separate tub, etc.

RC is superb. Good morning spread, cereals, pastries, meat, etc. (no eggs or other American style b-fast). Evening has hors doeuvres kind of things. Free wine, champagne and booze. Cocktails end at 7:30. There is an extremely helpful concierge outside the RC for checkin-checkout. They got me a very cheap flight to Antalya.

Health club is nicely done, bikes, treadmills, weights, and a Turkish bath.

Public areas are very tastefully done, as is the large outdoor pool (but it was too cool to use). Didn't eat at the hotel but there are Italian, Japanese, and something else. My wife was there two months earlier and reported the food as very good.

WARNING: Long distance phone calls are criminally high. I talked to my daughter in Alanya, a Turkish town on the Med, about 400kms south: 20 minutes, 90 euros. The GM and I had a lengthy discussion on that one.

Similarly, wireless/wired internet in the rooms is 20 euros per day, but they have a PC outside the RC you can use with free internet access (but keep it to under an hour).

Bottom line: Great hotel. Would definitely stay again.

Last edited by SoManyMiles-SoLittleTime; Apr 6, 2006 at 10:19 pm Reason: Typos; added additional comments.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:42 am

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
WARNING: Long distance phone calls are criminally high. I talked to my daughter in Alanya, a Turkish town on the Med, about 400kms south: 20 minutes, 90 euros. The GM and I had a lengthy discussion on that one.

Similarly, wireless/wired internet in the rooms is 20 euros per day, but they have a free PC outside the RC you can use.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the warning ! I lke also this hotel very much. Staff at the RC is very friendly...and they had a nice chocolate cake for desert.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I really like this place. When I was there I was one of only two people on the RC level---service was great!
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:42 pm

Lightbulb Did not like it much

I much prefer the ritz carlton, and prices are much the same.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 6:25 pm
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
Cool, I'll check out the Ritz Carlton.

The lowest rate on hyatt.com for the HR Istanbul from Sep 2-6 is 249 euros which seems kind of high.

Thanks for the recommendation!
Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:35 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I have been here twice in the last month. I am only Platinum, so didn't get the RC, but I like this property a lot. I actually prefer it over the Ritz-Carlton. The rooms and bathrooms are nicer at the Hyatt and the windows don't open at the R-C. I have stayed at the executive club at the R-C; it was fine -- probably equivalent to the Regency Club based on the write-ups here. Please let us know how it goes.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:24 am
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
I really didn't like the Hyatt Istanbul. I stayed here for 4 days. First, the building, gym & pool facilities, lobby and room we stayed in are very nice. Everything feels spacious and comfortable. The room has a great bathroom with a very nice rain showerhead that is perfect after a hot & sweaty day of exploring Istanbul.

But I really feel this hotel operates at a lower standard of service than should be acceptable at a 5 star hotel. From the Front Desk to Housekeeping to the gym attendant, I encountered rude, ineffective and downright unwelcoming staff members. Throughout our stay, we experience staff members overcharging us (charged us for entrees different than what we ordered at breakfast), a gym attendant forbidding me to take a 1/2 bottle of water back to my room (I drank 1/2 while working out), saying that the water is only for the gym, cleaning staff who didn't know how to clean, and a rude Front Desk attendant who questioned whether I was a guest at the hotel.

There are lots of hotels in Istanbul, and this won't be one that I'll be coming back to if I ever visit Istanbul again.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Just booked a Club Suite for next year.

Do you guys have any new trip reports or comments on the hotel?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.