Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Istanbul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Istanbul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
When I was there it was breakfast in the club only. If you are using a DSU, doesn't that mean you are a Diamond? You should be able to the Club and bring your family no problem; unless I am missing something.

I used a DSU by the way when I was there. Got a nice big room -- the bedroom had two twin beds and an on-suite, the living room had a fold out couch and an extra double bed they had brought in. Also a small kitchen and half bath.
Yes, I am Diamond, but the suite I was allocated has a max occupancy of 3 and I am traveling with my wife and 2 kids. Hyatt has told me multiple times that the only people entitled to free breakfast are those staying in my room--not the second room. Hopefully I don't have a problem bringing my wife and 2 kids in for breakfast, but otherwise, I will want to be able to eat in the restaurant and pay for my second kid.

It'd be nice if I could get everyone into one suite...but I'm not sure I can bank on that. Do you remember the room type that you got using your DSU? They allowed you to bring in a second double bed, in addition to the couch?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
When I was there, we had our breakfast in the restaurant I'm actually surprised that others are reporting otherwise; at check-in we were even proactively welcomed to have breakfast the restaurant. And to go even further, we went down to the club just to check out breakfast, and the attendant pointed out that while it's quiet up there, the restaurant offered more selections, so we should head down there, especially since it was our first morning on property.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
When I was there, we had our breakfast in the restaurant I'm actually surprised that others are reporting otherwise; at check-in we were even proactively welcomed to have breakfast the restaurant. And to go even further, we went down to the club just to check out breakfast, and the attendant pointed out that while it's quiet up there, the restaurant offered more selections, so we should head down there, especially since it was our first morning on property.
Thank you!
Old Mar 4, 2016, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by h8stn4d
Thank you!
Also one more note, this was for a September stay (actually 2 separate stays 1.5 weeks apart), so I don't know what has happened since then, or how it was before.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Also one more note, this was for a September stay (actually 2 separate stays 1.5 weeks apart), so I don't know what has happened since then, or how it was before.
Fair enough; I won't hold you to it.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Yes, I am Diamond, but the suite I was allocated has a max occupancy of 3 and I am traveling with my wife and 2 kids. Hyatt has told me multiple times that the only people entitled to free breakfast are those staying in my room--not the second room. Hopefully I don't have a problem bringing my wife and 2 kids in for breakfast, but otherwise, I will want to be able to eat in the restaurant and pay for my second kid.

It'd be nice if I could get everyone into one suite...but I'm not sure I can bank on that. Do you remember the room type that you got using your DSU? They allowed you to bring in a second double bed, in addition to the couch?
h8stn4d: When are you going? I plan on staying at this hotel in late July and will be in the same situation as you: traveling with wife (Diamond) and 2 kids and using a DSU for one room. Would love to hear how it goes for you if complete your stay anytime soon and can report back.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by mangoMan
h8stn4d: When are you going? I plan on staying at this hotel in late July and will be in the same situation as you: traveling with wife (Diamond) and 2 kids and using a DSU for one room. Would love to hear how it goes for you if complete your stay anytime soon and can report back.
I will be there in late March, so feel free to PM me if I don't remember to post.

Meanwhile, today I called Hyatt and was told that there would be no problem for all of us to get into the lounge and/or have breakfast in the restaurant. No clue whether the guy on the phone was correct, but I'll use that if I run into any problems. I also put in a request for connecting rooms, so we'll see how that plays out as well.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 4:05 pm

I was in room 416; it was a Grand Suite twin. There were only two of us; but I didn't want one king bed so I made sure to email ahead and specifically make sure there were two beds. For some reason they gave us a Twin Suite AND brought in an extra bed; not sure why. It worked out great, my friend and I each got essentially our own room.

I'm surprised to hear some people have been offered breakfast in the restaurant. Maybe the Club was under construction? The Club offers a menu to order from as well as a buffet. Very large and good spread. I can't imagine it would be a problem to bring your wife and two kids up to the Club with you.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 4:20 pm

I'm surprised to hear some people have been offered breakfast in the restaurant. Maybe the Club was under construction? The Club offers a menu to order from as well as a buffet. Very large and good spread. I can't imagine it would be a problem to bring your wife and two kids up to the Club with you.
This review suggests that breakfast in the restaurant is an option even if the lounge is open:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ECK_RATES_CONT
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Maybe the Club was under construction? The Club offers a menu to order from as well as a buffet.
No construction whatsoever, fully opened and operational. A large spread for a club breakfast, but doesn't hold a candle to the restaurant offerings.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:49 am

Being wedded to Turkish Airlines for a while meant layovers in Istanbul, including three at this hotel. I also stayed at the Hyatt Centric Levant and the Hyatt Regency Atakoy (nice, but not where I want to locate); three stays here indicates "local favorite".

Rates during my stays, October/November 2018, were reasonable, 94-ish Euros on cancelable Member rate. Location-wise, this place is great, near the metro (though metro connections to Ataturk Airport are roughly an hour.) All three stays, I was treated well. They clearly read my preferences and made sure that things were as I prefer. By the third stay, I was "known" by many on staff - not a foregone conclusion in a large hotel.

Overall: I never encountered an unpleasant employee, a broken or unsightly facility or anything hopelessly obsolete.
Lounge: At breakfast and evening service, the food that is put out doesn't change much - maybe not at all during breakfast - and is fine but something short of dazzling. However, morning and evenings, there is cool stuff in the refrigerator. Local spreads,dips, "bites" and such. These seemed to change more, day-to-day, and really "helped" the breads and vegetables. On the first day, staff offered me eggs, custom cooked; they picked up on the fact that I don't eat eggs and responded appropriately. (Thanks, I don't want to decline every day.) Turkish coffee and tea available on-request to supplement the coffee machine.
Fitness Center: 24/7, accessible through the spa reception with room key after hours. Big-enough. Quality equipment (Life Fitness) and adequate array of weights, benches, stretching area.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Being wedded to Turkish Airlines for a while meant layovers in Istanbul, including three at this hotel. I also stayed at the Hyatt Centric Levant and the Hyatt Regency Atakoy (nice, but not where I want to locate); three stays here indicates "local favorite".

Rates during my stays, October/November 2018, were reasonable, 94-ish Euros on cancelable Member rate. Location-wise, this place is great, near the metro (though metro connections to Ataturk Airport are roughly an hour.) All three stays, I was treated well. They clearly read my preferences and made sure that things were as I prefer. By the third stay, I was "known" by many on staff - not a foregone conclusion in a large hotel.

Overall: I never encountered an unpleasant employee, a broken or unsightly facility or anything hopelessly obsolete.
Lounge: At breakfast and evening service, the food that is put out doesn't change much - maybe not at all during breakfast - and is fine but something short of dazzling. However, morning and evenings, there is cool stuff in the refrigerator. Local spreads,dips, "bites" and such. These seemed to change more, day-to-day, and really "helped" the breads and vegetables. On the first day, staff offered me eggs, custom cooked; they picked up on the fact that I don't eat eggs and responded appropriately. (Thanks, I don't want to decline every day.) Turkish coffee and tea available on-request to supplement the coffee machine.
Fitness Center: 24/7, accessible through the spa reception with room key after hours. Big-enough. Quality equipment (Life Fitness) and adequate array of weights, benches, stretching area.
One question. I'm guessing the Restaurant breakfast option wasn't an option anymore?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Restaurant wasn't offered as an option at check-in. Suite is spacious but very old and dated. Single vanity in bathroom and manual everything. Kitchenette is a nice feature with induction stovetop and full sized fridge.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:49 pm

Recent experience: restaurant breakfast an option?
Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Recent experience: restaurant breakfast an option?
Thanks.
Just Grand Club.
365RoadWarrior likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.