Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Indian Wells (Grand Champions -Palm Springs, CA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Indian Wells (Grand Champions -Palm Springs, CA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2001, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Anyone stayed here recently and care to comment regarding this property in the Palm Springs area? Specifically, the resort's ambience (it's an anniversary celebration) and guestroom quality/layout? Thanks and happy new year everyone.
Old Jan 2, 2001, 4:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
I have been there several times, but never stayed. My brother lives a couple block away and ... The property is nice. The Golf is very good according to my bro (12 handicap). The little casitas are quite nice (I was in the GM's...he is no longer there). Naturally , this is not a cheap place to stay or eat. Several good restrauants in the area, also very pricy. The area is the City of Indian Wells. Not a lot to do in the immediate area. There is a "gardens" place to visit. Palm Sprins is a 30 minute drive. A better price and more to do is the Hyatt Regency Suites in Palm Springs. It too is next to a golf coarse, but is also in the heart of downtown. I believe they still have "market" on Thursday nights, sort of a street party/mercado/music/fruit and vegs.

Hope this helps a little. I am sure you will get some more direct help.

This whole area is of little rain, but lots of wind. Very hot in the summer (110-120 not uncommon).

Old Jan 5, 2001, 6:57 pm

Go. Stay. Enjoy.

Seriously, I stayed 121 nights at this property in 1999, and spent two nights there last month. The property is beautifully maintained, and the staff is top notch.

Mark, the rooms exec, is one of the best in the business. If there are any problems in your stay, tell him, and it'll get fixed. You don't even need to tell him that Tom Grove sent you.

The entire valley area is a world unto itself. Plenty to see and do, particularly if conspicuous displays of opulence are your thing. Weather in the valley is pretty unbearable for June-Sept, but otherwise nice.

Old Nov 5, 2002, 11:38 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
I stayed in a 1-br villa at the Grand Champions for a couple nights during the week before Christmas last year. It was fabulous! The service was quite nice and the accomodations were extremely comfortable. I enjoyed the hotel's restaurant. The construction didn't bother me at all-- it was hardly noticed. One negative was that the Regency Club was closed.

Rates were quite low during this time period. This must be a slow time for them.

[This message has been edited by TransWorldOne (edited 11-05-2002).]
Old Nov 5, 2002, 2:10 pm

We spent last Thanksgiving there, and were told the RC closes from the Monday after Thanksgiving until after the Christmas break, since the hotel is very slow that time of year. The weather is very nice during this time period, so I would think it is a great time to visit Palm Springs.

The RC club being closed is no big deal, since it is one of the least interesting of the Resort RCs. They charge for drinks, and it is obvious that when they built the hotel it was not designed to have a RC, since it consists of tables and chairs set up in a hallway.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 10:48 pm

westcoastman--

We celebrated our anniversary there in the winter of 2001 (apparently before renovations began).

We mentioned our anniversary on the online reservation form. Though we reserved the least expensive room, upon check-in we were upgraded to a top-floor room overlooking the golf course and mountains.

The view was beautiful. A platter of chocolate dipped strawberries and a bottle of champagne were delivered that afternoon. When we dined in the hotel's restaurant (food was excellent), the waiter brought a chocolate cake (an entire cake, not just a slice!) personalized with our names on it! Had the leftover with our coffee the next morning

The rooms are large and have a sunken area where the bed is (see photos on their website). Beautiful pool area with a very large Jacuzzi. The staff was excellent. We don't golf but the atmosphere, service and location guarantee we'll return someday.
Old Nov 21, 2002, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
The villas are not ordinary by any means! A villa has either one or two bedrooms, one or two baths, a large living room with wood burning fireplace, dining area, and a rather large private backyard with an in-ground hot tub surrounded by a lawn. Very attentive butler service is also part of the villa. Truly outstanding !
Old Dec 11, 2002, 9:05 am

Contact the hotel directly. It might be possible to pay the lowest rate, use a 6,000 point suite upgrade award, and then pay a little additional for the villa.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Hyatt Grand Champions Resort & Spa Finalizes $65 Million Expansion

Hyatt Grand Champions Resort & Spa Finalizes $65 Million Expansion

World-Class Resort Features New Landscaping, Rooms, Meeting Facilities
And 30,000 Square Foot Spa

INDIAN WELLS, Calif., Jan. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- Hyatt Grand Champions Resort
& Spa today announced it will complete its expansion this month. The $65
million expansion includes renovated and added guest rooms, significant
additional meeting space, a 30,000 square foot state-of-the-art ultra-
luxurious health and wellness spa, three new tennis courts, six pools
including one with private cabanas, and a redesign of the resort's public
spaces including a barrage of lush palm trees and soothing lagoons.
The added luxury guestrooms offer breathtaking panoramic views of the
mountainous skyline. Now with a total of 479 rooms all with terraces or
balconies, and 88,000 square feet of total indoor and outdoor meeting space,
the property expects to attract not only additional leisure travelers but also
a larger number of group functions to take place at the property.
Complimenting the 8,000 square foot ballroom, is a new 50,000 square foot
meeting facility, an additional 20,000 square foot ballroom, a dynamic
pre-function area and a 15,000 square foot state-of-the-art kitchen designed
with the assistance of the Executive Chef Chris Mitchum. These group
facilities are located on the beautiful lakeside of the 18th green of The Golf
Resort at Indian Wells.
The resort's new public areas are surrounded by water features, an
abundance of palm trees and the Santa Rosa Mountains. A new pool with
surrounding lagoon has been added to the grounds and features 16 private
cabanas with phone, refrigeration, television, data ports, ceiling fans and
misting options. And completely new to the property is a 5,000 square foot
wedding gazebo overlooking a tranquil pond.
"We expect these wonderful new facilities and luxurious guestrooms,
situated on extraordinary grounds, to become the most sought after resort in
the desert," said Richard L. Monfort, owner of Hyatt Grand Champions Resort &
Spa. "We are one of the few hotels in the desert that can accommodate very
large groups and offer them state-of-the-art facilities; and in addition to
our magnificent grounds and beautiful rooms, our innovative health and
wellness spa is sure to attract the leisure traveler as well as local
clientele."
As a landmark facility, the 30,000 square foot Agua Serena Spa is situated
below the Santa Rosa Mountains and offers guests a soothing ambiance with
outdoor garden areas and a peaceful reflecting pool. The spa offers
revolutionary combinations of health and beauty treatments including
traditional as well as progressive spa modalities. Most notably, the spa
provides a significant portfolio of cosmetic services in partnership with a
leading medical doctor.

Hyatt Grand Champions Resort & Spa is situated on 34 beautifully manicured
acres. The AAA Four Diamond/Mobil Four-Star award winning property is the
only resort in Indian Wells to receive the AAA Four-Diamond designation. The
property is masterfully designed with exquisite European-style guest rooms and
Italian-style private villas. A mere two-hour drive from most of southern
California, the resort is located in prestigious Indian Wells, California --
home to internationally recognized sporting and cultural events, world-class
resorts and restaurants, breathtaking golf courses and spectacular tennis
facilities.

SOURCE Hyatt Grand Champions Resort & Spa
Old Apr 22, 2003, 12:39 am

Location: California, AA EXP,HH Gold,Hyatt Diamond, *wood PLT, Amex PLT,
RC is open on weekends.

RC is on the 7th/?? higher floor so not close to pools.

Have in the past been upgraded to what they call penthouse suiet on the RC floor. It is nice/spacious 2-room suite with balcony. Don't know if you would want to stay up there with a toddler.
Upgrades were very generous during their construction phase, but on my last stay about a month ago, they were quite adamant about having no upgrades available but that may have just been the staff that day.

Can't give any recommendations on restaurants, but the J.W.Marriott had an appealing/tropical ambience and saw quite a few families with young kids there. Different feel from the Hyatt.

Hope you enjoy your stay
kelly786

[This message has been edited by kelly786 (edited 04-22-2003).]
Old Apr 24, 2003, 7:15 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by onedog:
Parking options?

Thanks,
</font>
Self Parking is free, Not sure how much Valet is. I'm pretty sure it is $12 or more.

Old Apr 24, 2003, 10:11 am

The Hyatt Grand Champions Resort & Spa recently completed a $65M renovation and expansion that added a brand-new 4-story wing with 140 rooms and a permanent RC. Being new, all of these rooms have completely new furnishings, unlike the remainder of the guest rooms, though I suspect the original rooms will soon be renovated to keep a consistent look/feel.

The original hotel is 5-stories, the new wing at 4-stories.

There are several pools and a kiddie play area w/water features. Also have a brand-new ribbon style adult pool area with bar and cabanas for rent w/all amenities: tv, phone, powerport for laptops, etc.

Also added a 30K sq.ft. spa with new fitness center and a new lagoon like lake surrounding it. It is very peaceful and tranquil and they did a fantastic job!

Main entrance is much more grand now complete with about 100 palms and a dancing fountain in the center of the front drive. Also painted the entire building a more tan sand shade than the off-white which used to adorn the exterior.

Think this resort is fabulous! I know the entire sales staff there and the GM and go there on occasion for meetings with them, and travel with members of their sales team, which is how I know so much about the place.

Lots of great restaurants in the area, including one right across the street at Vicky's of Santa Fe. Very lively and kid friendly, and great food!

Several restaurants at The River on Hwy 111 in Rancho Mirage: Babe's, Prego, Guaymas, P.F. Changs, Fleming's Steakhouse, The Yardhouse, and a couple of smaller places like Baha Fresh, and of course there is a Starbucks...lol. This complex is great to get out and stroll, as there are plenty of shops incl Border's and a movie theater. They also tend to have art fairs and/or live entertainment on wknds.

Islands is a simple but good place for burgers and similar fare on Hwy 111 in Palm Desert. But think the best burgers and such can be found at Tyler's in Downtown P.S. at Indian Canyon and La Plaza. Castelli's is a great italian restaurant, on Hwy 111 in Palm Desert. Bananaz is a casual restaurant similar to Chili's/TGI Friday's but more local and fun/lively atmosphere, again on Hwy 111 in Palm Desert. Seeing a pattern developing here? Hwy 111...

Plenty of good restaurants in Palm Springs downtown on Palm Canyon Drive also, where you can park your car for free and get out and walk, shop, eat, enjoy the scenery!

Feel free to e-mail me if you have more questions. If you're interested in experiencing The Living Desert, a 1,000+ acre zoo and gardens, let me know. I have passes that I'd be willing to pass on to you when you arrive. It is a great place for the young and young at heart.

Enjoy your visit!

AtlMan in P.S.

[This message has been edited by AtlMan (edited 04-24-2003).]
Old Jan 2, 2004, 8:18 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am writing this from the RC at this hotel. It is open full time this week, which is high season. Diamond breakfast is now taken in here, instead of in the restaurant (which I guess is the option when the RC is closed).

I thought I'd contribute to this thread since we spent one night in 2 rooms (there are 4 of us) and then made a deal to pay extra to upgrade to a 2 BR villa. The Villas are nice and more private than the main hotel but overall I would still characterize them as "upscale" rather than "luxury."

We saw a "butler" when we checked into the villas for 5 nights and haven't seen a butler since, although apparently they exist -- they just don't do much. Once when we called the butler for ice (since the ice room was locked tight), we never got it. So we've stopped asking. Hence, I wouldn't think the extra cost of butler service is what keeps one from being upgraded!

This is a good hotel, with nice rooms and friendly service. Note that only the newest rooms have high speed internet access -- our villa was supposed to have high speed access but it is broken and apparently couldn't be repaired.

I would definitely stay here again -- but don't expect a luxury hotel level of service here, it's not really at that level. However, the rate we are paying is lower than I'd expect to pay at a luxury hotel as well, so I regard the Villa accomodations as a reasonable value.

Old May 22, 2004, 5:57 pm

This is a wonderful resort with impeccible service. All the rooms are large, with a separate sitting area. I can't think of any rooms which would be in a poor location. Nice, large pool area. We've stayed there for years and have always had a most enjoyable time.

If you are traveling with very small children, you might like the Esmeralda (right next door) a bit better. It has a pool with a man-made beach. The "beach" is small and is intended for small children, but offers some better water experiences for small kids than the Hyatt does. On the other hand, for older children, the Hyatt has a water slide- not huge- but fun for the 7-13 age group.
Old May 23, 2004, 9:45 am

Thumbs up Hyatt Indian Wells

Originally Posted by SQUAD55
Has anyone stayed at this property? They have a rate of 149.00 usd a night. Is it worth while??
There is a mandatory $15 per night resort fee per room which covers parking, use of the gym (including spa, but no services) and local calls. The spa is excellent. Separate sauna, steamroom, jacuzzi, outdoor showers, and relaxation room for men and women. I think it's well worth the $15.

While the rooms are large (generally all suites with separate sitting couch, balcony, and sitting area), the furniture is a little worn. Also, the bathroom is huge with two double doors, but fairly dated. Good Regency Club, but lots of screaming kids...oooh my headache is coming back from the memory.

I'd say well worth the $149, but that's probably for the summer when it's HOT, HOT, HOT.

Last edited by ricepaddy2; May 23, 2004 at 9:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.