Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Indian Wells (Grand Champions -Palm Springs, CA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Indian Wells (Grand Champions -Palm Springs, CA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:40 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Originally Posted by brightstar100
We were told this morning that from 10am today (after breakfast), the Club is permanently closed. Is apparently being turned into meeting space.
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Sad to hear as it was one of the better clubs in the day and though my perception is out of date the club out performed the restaurant
Hopefully that has changed

hmm... I actually though it is one of the worst in the US. the RC Manager even approached my for suggestions (I posted somewhere in this thread).
to bad it closes... I wish they would have invested in quality, location is great with outdoor seating as well.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 59Impala
hmm... I actually though it is one of the worst in the US. the RC Manager even approached my for suggestions (I posted somewhere in this thread).
to bad it closes... I wish they would have invested in quality, location is great with outdoor seating as well.
Yes, I thought it was in need of refit - new furniture etc.

It is is extraordinary - at check-in, three days ago, told us about Club, but didn’t say it was closing during stay. Only happened to overhear staff member in Club taking about it, so asked them to confirm!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
I disagree, I thought it was one of the better Regency Clubs in the US. Always lots of variety at breakfast with a hot egg type dish. Pleasant space and even an outside balcony just outside the lounge where you could sit if you preferred to eat outdoors.

Without a club, I for one, will be less likely to return.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:28 pm
formerly a193991

Originally Posted by smilee
I disagree, I thought it was one of the better Regency Clubs in the US. Always lots of variety at breakfast with a hot egg type dish. Pleasant space and even an outside balcony just outside the lounge where you could sit if you preferred to eat outdoors.

Without a club, I for one, will be less likely to return.
I had 4 stays in the past couple of years. None of them was good regarding the lounge (except for the lovely outdoor seating). on my last stay I complained to the RC Manager because of the variety, very limited and uninspired: He then requested some suggestions/examples and I sent him a couple of pictures. weird, he could have done the research himself or ask other Hyatt Clubs. breakfast was ok, but the evenings were below average.

What blew my mind on my last stay, was that the RC staff helped themselves to breakfast (egg dish), and disappeared in the back. 1 even sat at the concierge desk at the entrance to eat. I complained to the RC manager.

no - I cannot give his Lounge a "thumbs-up". We have booked the PSP area again for November, but we decided to go to the Hyatt PSP, although more expensive. Reason: we don't need this lounge in Indian Wells. Now that is closed, fine.
I am actually hoping that the Andaz will be open by then.

Last edited by 59Impala; Jan 9, 2019 at 11:31 pm Reason: typos
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:10 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I had 4 stays in the past couple of years. None of them was good regarding the lounge (except for the lovely outdoor seating). on my last stay I complained to the RC Manager because of the variety, very limited and uninspired: He then requested some suggestions/examples and I sent him a couple of pictures. weird, he could have done the research himself or ask other Hyatt Clubs. breakfast was ok, but the evenings were below average.

What blew my mind on my last stay, was that the RC staff helped themselves to breakfast (egg dish), and disappeared in the back. 1 even sat at the concierge desk at the entrance to eat. I complained to the RC manager.

no - I cannot give his Lounge a "thumbs-up". We have booked the PSP area again for November, but we decided to go to the Hyatt PSP, although more expensive. Reason: we don't need this lounge in Indian Wells. Now that is closed, fine.
I am actually hoping that the Andaz will be open by then.
I think we have to look at what is happening in a number of select Hyatt's in North America
Lounges are either ways to get guests out of the restaurants and feed them more economically or just plain out for cost cutting
The fact that some are closing I see as Hyatt and the individual properties giving up completely and throwing in the towel
Once upon a time a Regency Club was a prestigious offering that helped to define a good stay
Its of my opinion that as long as nobody speaks up and or moves on with their business Hyatt wont be getting the message anytime soon
that it isn't ok to continue the reduced and poor offerings
Once upon a time the HR Indian Wells ran a superb club with good baking homemade granola,fresh produce, smoked salmon
and all the great amenities we've come to expect from Hyatt historically
that once differentiated them from Marriott Hilton etc
In the properties that do fail I have moved my business to other brands where I can be assured of a good premium experience with or without a lounge

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jan 10, 2019 at 3:49 pm
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:24 pm
formerly a193991

I think we have to look at what is happening in a number of Hyatt's in North America
Lounges are either ways to get guests out of the restaurants and feed them more economically or just plain out for cost cutting
The fact that some are closing I see as Hyatt and the individual properties giving up completely and throwing in the towel
Once upon a time a Regency Club was a prestigious offering that helped to define a good stay
Its of my opinion that as long as nobody speaks up and or moves on with their business Hyatt wont be getting the message anytime soon
that it isn't ok to continue the reduced and poor offerings
Once upon a time the HR Indian Wells ran a superb club with good baking homemade granola,fresh produce, smoked salmon
and all the great amenities we've come to expect from Hyatt historically
that once differentiated them from Marriott Hilton etc
In the properties that do fail I have moved my business to other brands where I can be assured of a good premium experience with or without a lounge

i agree with you. sad to see the decline. it was something prestegious at some time. and Hyatt was innovative... the first chain to introduce lounges.

my favorite US lounge is GH Tampa.... but that is another topic.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:00 pm

i agree with you. sad to see the decline. it was something prestegious at some time. and Hyatt was innovative... the first chain to introduce lounges.

my favorite US lounge is GH Tampa.... but that is another topic.
Can remember Grand Hyatt Tampa when it first opened in the 80s I believe.
Everything from the dining to the Club was just off the chart impressive
Even the locals had to go to dine and be a part of the experience
As I return to legends like Grand Hyatt Berlin Park Hyatt Vienna and others overseas early in the New Year it will be interesting to see if they too have lost their way.
Though I doubt that very much
Hilton continues to impress me on the International side of the equation and Hyatt has always taken food and beverage more seriously abroad
If it continues down that path I will just buy my breakfast and choose hotels on price and most generous rewards over loyalty to a given brand
now that I have top tier status at a number of the biggest programs
Mostly I have given Hyatt the lions share of my wallet.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
That’s a shame we really enjoyed the club here. I guess there must be too many overentitled Explorists using their club certs LOL
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:21 am

I was here once about a year ago and the club was very weak outside of breakfast.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bummer - club is far more convenient for quick bites. I dont like full breakfasts as it takes too long to cook, portions are too big and you are dependent on servers...
Unfortunately the area is too seasonal: packed and insanely overpriced in spring and dead in summer and with mostly weekend loads other times making it hard to have full time club..
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:37 pm

In high season I think that's when not having the club becomes a liability to their guests.Large volume of crowds slow service
I don't see it as a deal maker or breaker if one is at the hotel in July or August to go down to the restaurant and dine
It would be interesting for we as a community to make a list of hotels where clubs have closed,still open and good or bad be it the club or the restaurant
Perhaps separate threads

Experienced a Regency club that was so bad last year that I am spending considerably more to stay at a non Hyatt brand this year
Sadly we liked the hotel otherwise to a fair degree
They purposely hid the bottled water/no sparkling at all saying guests were being selfish & greedy grabbing to many to take to the beach and had poor offerings all throughout the day
We tried the restaurant and that was unusually lousy for a Hyatt.Mind you that's very rare for Hyatt however still disturbing
We paid for our breakfasts at another nearby hotel with high quality standards

To some degree I see Indian Wells as primarily a leisure market
I'll assume they are having trouble commanding a premium to justify running the club and or getting enough guests to pay up
I've really started moving to more premium brands over the past year or two at higher costs as Hyatt has dropped standards
in some select properties without ever checking on guests satisfaction unless you complain
Its irritating when a club says they are being green and remove all bottled water because of plastic concerns and the environment yet when they are charging separately
all the bottles appear like magic from water to beer everywhere as much as you want of it.Totally a double standard
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
I've really started moving to more premium brands over the past year or two at higher costs as Hyatt has dropped standards
I agree. Hyatt Indian Wells is a weird bird in that pretty much the whole value proposition of Indian Wells is that it is a high-end golfing destination, and five or six years ago (even though it was the recession) the Hyatt Indian Wells still did a pretty good job of presenting itself as that type of hotel. But the past couple years the service dropped drastically. Nickel-and-diming for every tiny thing like parking, resort fee, and everything else, and removing the happy hour in the lounge, to the point that it's like staying at a Courtyard in terms of what you get just for paying the room rent (and I am a Globalist). The lounge was so bad last time I went that I'm not even sorry it's gone, though the space itself was nice with a pretty balcony. But it really makes you wonder: the economy has been good the past few years, so why are the Hyatts getting worse?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Katlor
But it really makes you wonder: the economy has been good the past few years, so why are the Hyatts getting worse?
Usually comes from ownership.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Katlor
.. But it really makes you wonder: the economy has been good the past few years, so why are the Hyatts getting worse?
dont think hyatts are getting any worse than starriotts of hiltons.. they are all under pressure to pennypinch..
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:12 pm
formerly a193991

Hotel to get Water Park and Lazy River

Taken from the FB page:

Adults only pool should remain untouched (luckily )

ATTENTION TO ALL WHO LOVE FUN and RELAXATION! We are so excited to announce that we will officially be building, upgrading, and perfecting the Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa Water Park! It is our distinct pleasure to be working directly with such a well-respected, and globally recognized company such as the Hyatt Regency. This project is yet another opportunity for us to show our company's versatility, as it will include the construction of an amazing five story water slide tower, an always relaxing and fun lazy river, new state of the art Water Cabanas, and overall upgrades to all pools and structural facilities. We know that when people visit the Hyatt Regency they are expecting nothing but the best, and we are happy to play a part in facilitating that important expectation.

If you aren't already too excited, please take a look at these before and after renditions of what we have planned for this build. With a dedication that is built to last, we at Hamel take pride in doing it right... the first time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.