Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Indian Wells (Grand Champions -Palm Springs, CA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Indian Wells (Grand Champions -Palm Springs, CA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:15 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Sounds like you are confusing SPG Plat with Hyatt Diamond with regards to upgrades without certs.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Seems the original agent didn't realize the difference between suites and villas. Upgrade is only guaranteed to a suite, not a villa, though had you actually booked and paid for a suite, I could see the property accepting the suite upgrade one step further to a villa. Still, a villa is not a suite, and a suite is all one is entitled to on a Diamond or even award upgrade to a suite. The only case you'd have is if you actually had a reissued confirmation showing a villa was booked for you. (I know when I confirm a suite upgrade with one of my credits, I always get a new confirmation email.)
Old Oct 4, 2009, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFAIK they do not upgrade to villas (unless oversold etc).

Mods, please merge with the main property thread.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 11:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone know what type of upgrade I would have gotten at this property if I did not use a suite upgrade certificate and just checked in as a Diamond?

It seems all the rooms on this regency club floor are penthouse suites. Wouldn't I had gotten this anyway? I am just trying to figure out if I should ask GP about getting my elec. upgrade returned to my account as I did not get a villa (as told by original GP agent).
Old Oct 4, 2009, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by musikdude
Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone know what type of upgrade I would have gotten at this property if I did not use a suite upgrade certificate and just checked in as a Diamond?

It seems all the rooms on this regency club floor are penthouse suites. Wouldn't I had gotten this anyway? I am just trying to figure out if I should ask GP about getting my elec. upgrade returned to my account as I did not get a villa (as told by original GP agent).
Seriously.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable

Nobody knows for sure...

You used a suite upgrade cert. and you got a nice suite on the top floor, so you got what you paid for.

Why should they redeposit the upgrade ???
Old Oct 4, 2009, 1:01 pm

Location: 1 hour from Khao Yai, Thailand. No longer Bangkok, China, Taiwan , Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones

You were UPG'd to the right room type and seems you were expecting an UPG above that. I had a similar experience at Gainey in Aug, using a DIA confirmed UPG and that's what I got, while I watched as 2 DIA's checking in at the same time who got the UPG to the same room type, without using any UPG. The benefit is you were confirmed into a suite, as SanDiego1k said, check your confirmation. The confirmed UPG, in advance, is the benefit. Check the GH HK thread for the cost and benefit of an advance UPG confirmed.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, AS MVPG 75K, SPG LTP (BONVOYED), Hyatt Diamond aka WoH Glob, HH Diamond
I am at Grand Champions tonight on a paid stay (AAA + DELK5). I called Diamond line several days ago and confirmed an upgrade to a one bedroom villa using one of my 4 electronic upgrade certificate. The agent said I would have a one bedroom villa for sure as she had called the property.

When I checked in awhile ago, they said "sorry no villa allowed with my upgrade" but instead gave me a suite on the regency floor. It is a very nice room but I was looking forward to the private villa as it has its own hot tub, etc. I did not want to make a stink as I am with my wife,etc., so I took the room assigned to me.

Is what the property did regarding my upgrade correct and if not, what should I do in terms of getting my confirmed upgrade returned to my account so I can use it later?? It seems to me that the upgraded room I have right now, I would have gotten as a Diamond and I would not have had to waste one of my electronic ones.

Thanks!
Interesting, when I checked in on 09/26, I asked about the Villa and was told one is available. I took the penthouse suite 'cause it was 110 degrees and didn't want to walk all the way from the Villa.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 9:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
I was told by the checkout clerk that the villa is only offered as an upgrade option when you are willing to pay an additional fee (the difference b/t rack on room and rack on penthouse suite, etc.) He said an upgrade to the regency floor (which is all suites) would be a normal upgrade for a diamond and I would not need a certificate for it. He added that if it was a high occupancy period, I would perhaps not be given a room on the suite floor if they are all taken.

I just feel that based on what my original reservation agent told me (and thus got me excited about and I was mentally prepared for a villa when I arrived) about being upgraded to a villa, that it would not be unreasonable to ask GP for an extra upgrade to be put back in my account. I am going to ask for it and hopefully I will get lucky!!

On a side note, my DELK5 worked great. With my 2 meals listed on my checkout folio, they did not seem to make a seperate note of my alcohol or my tip, so I think you could get away with that being included when they deduct the $150. I had over $150 in just food so I wasn't too worried.

Also, on my checkout, the person assisting me at the front desk gave me a DELISH certificate for future use! NICE BONUS!
Old Oct 9, 2009, 2:17 am

FWIW, more than once, and in fact 4 out of the 5 times I've stayed here I have NOT received an upgrade to a Penthouse Suite. It is definitely not the standard Diamond upgrade as far as I'm aware. Maybe if it's completely dead they will give it to you, but you shouldn't go in expecting that you will get one, otherwise you will be disappointed. Using a Confirmed Suite Upgrade Cert is a good way to guarantee yourself one of these Penthouse Suites during busier times IMHO.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:55 am

Programs: Hyatt, UA
Indian Wells

How do the Penthouse Suites differ from the Regency Floor rooms, we are going in 2 weeks and need 2 beds for 4 people dont know if I should use Diamond Upgrade or not. As Regency Club is closed do they give out any coupons for breakfast etc? and is it for all in the party or just 2 adults
Im upset I cant add the DEL5K as we are staying at a reduced rate $135 for a dance competition for my daughter
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:37 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Interesting that before the DIA Suite Upgrade Certs program started, we received non-instrument upgrades to both a Villa at Indian Wells, and a Lakeside Cottage at Lake Tahoe. Now both of those UGs seem to be near-impossible, even with a cert.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by rntraveller
How do the Penthouse Suites differ from the Regency Floor rooms, we are going in 2 weeks and need 2 beds for 4 people dont know if I should use Diamond Upgrade or not. As Regency Club is closed do they give out any coupons for breakfast etc? and is it for all in the party or just 2 adults
Im upset I cant add the DEL5K as we are staying at a reduced rate $135 for a dance competition for my daughter
The closure of the RC has been extended until a few days before X-Mas, so the standard upgrade to a Penthouse Suite for Diamond members should still be around.

The rooms I got when the RC was open or all the suites booked were very spacious, have two levels, the lower one 2-3 ft. below the upper part of the room and would qualify for a junior suite or even regular suite at many other hotels around the globe. Sleeping area and sep. sitting area with a sofa and an above average size bath.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 3:29 pm

At the Regency Club they charge for the alcoholic drinks.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by best
At the Regency Club they charge for the alcoholic drinks.
Ummmmm yeah. That would be consistant with every other Regency Club in the mainland USA. @:-)

Definitely no surprise...................

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.