Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Indian Wells (Grand Champions -Palm Springs, CA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Indian Wells (Grand Champions -Palm Springs, CA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:19 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Hyatt Grand Champions pool

Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:22 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Kids' Fountains

While these fountains are meant for kids, I needed a refreshing break from the heat.

Old Aug 28, 2009, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by azepine00
How is food? I am thinking to stop by for a day on DEL5K promo given the rates but I am not sure the two of us can even reach $150 in meal spending there.

Lantana offers excellent value for money, not as exclusive as The Californian at the Huntington Beach resort, but really worth trying.

Had the Filet Mignon and Ahi tuna recently, both dishes were really good, the service was kind of laid back and relaxed, staff trying hard, but was not really experienced, probably the usual problems of high staff fluctuation...

http://hyatt.com/hyatt/images/hotels/champ/Dinner.pdf
Old Aug 28, 2009, 4:31 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Smile Opinions do vary

Every guest has different expectations and actual experiences will always vary.
So many view points are subjective too.Taste buds of the beholder
Here is my take and first time experience there recently

We were a party of three at Lantana in late July
I ordered the Lantana Salad for openers
While it was beautiful too look at and artistically presented it lacked for my personal tastes. Because I saw the word salad I made the quick assumption it would have some kind of lettuce in it. Virtually none in my eyes
It’s sort of a high end gourmet take on the word salad
It certainly had some salad like ingredients but far from a typical expected salad.There may be some who thinks its brilliant just not this diner
To each their own certainly just not for my tastes.
The portion was also very small and the dressing very understated. I was sorry I ordered it strike one.

My guest ordered the Ahi Tuna and politely said it was far from memorable or enjoyable. And they love seafood. My guest routinely eats in fine dining establishments I trust their word. I do not eat this dish nor did I taste it so I can not comment further.
I ordered the lemon chicken and it was dry,tough and rubbery and overcooked.Not something memorable either
Had I been alone I would have sent my plate back. It was terrible not even possibly subjective. Fast Food take out establishments are kinder too chicken.
If this chicken had a good life previously it perished in vain for poor reason
Our other guest ordered the Filet Mignon and it was very nice I am delighted to say as any hotel steak goes
Only topped by the great steakhouses so that was the one positive element of the meal besides dessert which was a nice Crčme Brule beautifully presented with a very nice taste and consistency.

I could not return with or without the promotion though the service was very nice
This is a hotel that does one of the better Regency Club breakfasts in the country so I was surprised at the mostly poor results for Lantana. We were one of two or three tables on a weeknight and it didn’t surprise me based on the execution of the food overall
Moments of promise but no cigar

When Hyatt nails it they nail it. Especially when they are at the top of the game
Grand Hyatt Tokyo dining Amazing !!!!!
Two great Hyatt US restaurants non participating in this promotion are the
Red Marlin at the Hyatt Mission Bay where I am a regular with or without a Hotel stay
Nice seasonal Heirloom Tomato salad and cheese, Fresh World Class Seared Halibut over baby potatoes and summer veggies and other fine choices
On a recent visit for dessert a caramelized crisp fresh summer peach in a fruit sauce which was breathtaking and inspirational

The Hyatt Regency Irvine has great salads and very nice plates of beautifully fresh fish
The Hyatt Huntington Beach (participating) Its been a while but used to be very good.If I were to particpate in a dining promotion this would not be my choice again and I remain a fan of this property overall
My two cents
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Aug 28, 2009 at 4:46 pm
Old Sep 14, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, AS MVPG 75K, SPG LTP (BONVOYED), Hyatt Diamond aka WoH Glob, HH Diamond
Will check in 09/26 for one night with DEL5K promo, will try the Filet Mignon at Lantana, thanks for the reviews. How often do they give diamond suite upgrade? or do you think it worth it to use my guaranteed upgrade here? Thx.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, Hyatt PLT, Marriott PLT
You should get the complimentary upgrade since this is still low season. We got one on 9/12.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 1:20 am
Suspended

An upgrade to a Penthouse Suite should be more or less automatic, if there is avialability and the Club is still closed.

Tougher to get one of those suites on a Saturday, though. Property used to sell out frequently on weekends, even in summer and seems to be relatively full these days, but not frequently sold out. I would not waste a suite upgrade e-cert.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, AS MVPG 75K, SPG LTP (BONVOYED), Hyatt Diamond aka WoH Glob, HH Diamond
Thank you, skiermsm and FD1971.

Upgraded to a penthouse suite facing the pool (5325), great view and good size.

Club is still closed, but 2500 points plus full breakfast buffet at Lantana is actually a better alternative.

Had lunch at Pianissimo Lounge, soup of yesterday is egg drop with crab meat, interesting combination. Blacked fish sandwich and big daddy burger are both very good. Dinner at Lantana, Filet Mignon is as expected. Two fish used to swim is so so, order only if you want something light. The Roadrunner at pool side is below average IMHO.

Overall very pleased with the stay, all staff are very friendly and helpful.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 4:17 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Hadn't looked into dining at this Hyatt, thanks for posting but I'll pass and it is very easy to do so, that is a boring menu (obviously to each their own).
-
Old Oct 3, 2009, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by happydsa
Club is still closed, but 2500 points plus full breakfast buffet at Lantana is actually a better alternative.
I assume those "benefit compensation" points can be claimed even when earning miles - correct?
Old Oct 3, 2009, 2:41 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I was also at the Grand Champions on the 26th. Declined upgrade to Poolview (by virtue of being on a Virtuoso booking) but was also on DEL5K. The Virtuoso booking gave us lunch for 2 up to $85 (once per stay) and a full American breakfast daily. The DEL5K then gave us $150 for dinner.

Lantana is better at dinner than it is at lunch -- both times I have stayed here the lunch is very disappointing.

Originally Posted by happydsa
Thank you, skiermsm and FD1971.

Upgraded to a penthouse suite facing the pool (5325), great view and good size.

Had lunch at Pianissimo Lounge, soup of yesterday is egg drop with crab meat, interesting combination. Blacked fish sandwich and big daddy burger are both very good. Dinner at Lantana, Filet Mignon is as expected. Two fish used to swim is so so, order only if you want something light. The Roadrunner at pool side is below average IMHO.

Overall very pleased with the stay, all staff are very friendly and helpful.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 5:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
Help In Palm Springs!! Grand Champions suite upgrade not as promised

I am at Grand Champions tonight on a paid stay (AAA + DELK5). I called Diamond line several days ago and confirmed an upgrade to a one bedroom villa using one of my 4 electronic upgrade certificate. The agent said I would have a one bedroom villa for sure as she had called the property.

When I checked in awhile ago, they said "sorry no villa allowed with my upgrade" but instead gave me a suite on the regency floor. It is a very nice room but I was looking forward to the private villa as it has its own hot tub, etc. I did not want to make a stink as I am with my wife,etc., so I took the room assigned to me.

Is what the property did regarding my upgrade correct and if not, what should I do in terms of getting my confirmed upgrade returned to my account so I can use it later?? It seems to me that the upgraded room I have right now, I would have gotten as a Diamond and I would not have had to waste one of my electronic ones.

Thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2009, 6:14 pm

I would start by calling reservations and asking what suite you get when using a Diamond suite upgrade at this hotel. Then you will know where you stand.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 11:45 pm
Community Director Emerita

I can understand why you are frustrated as you were told you were to get a villa. I have been checking quite closely on what I get as a confirmation on my admittedly limited suite upgrades so far. Did you get a new confirmation, and did it indicate the type of suite? Or can you see it online? Sometimes, if you click "Rate information", you can then see the suite description. If I don't see one of those two, I have been calling back and asking for paperwork that identifies the suite.

When I look at the list of suites and villas for the Grand Champions, I see the following:

Hospitality, Executive, Conference and VIP Suites

Entertain lavishly within our Palm Springs accommodations. These spacious 800 to 950 square foot suites offer mountain or pool views from your own private balcony.

One & Two Bedroom Villas
Experience a luxury only available in the Palm Springs area at Hyatt Grand Champions Resort, Villas and Spa. Situated alongside the resort's lush gardens and manicured fairways, at the foothills of the majestic San Jacinto Mountains, the Palm Springs Villas offer the ultimate in privacy and world-class amenities. Featuring up to 1900 square feet..

Now, if you were told a villa and your confirmation said a villa, then you should have been given a villa. But I know that simply looking at the descriptions, I'd feel I had hit the jackpot if I was told a villa just given the square footage.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 7:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by musikdude
I am at Grand Champions tonight on a paid stay (AAA + DELK5). I called Diamond line several days ago and confirmed an upgrade to a one bedroom villa using one of my 4 electronic upgrade certificate. The agent said I would have a one bedroom villa for sure as she had called the property.

When I checked in awhile ago, they said "sorry no villa allowed with my upgrade" but instead gave me a suite on the regency floor. It is a very nice room but I was looking forward to the private villa as it has its own hot tub, etc. I did not want to make a stink as I am with my wife,etc., so I took the room assigned to me.

Is what the property did regarding my upgrade correct and if not, what should I do in terms of getting my confirmed upgrade returned to my account so I can use it later?? It seems to me that the upgraded room I have right now, I would have gotten as a Diamond and I would not have had to waste one of my electronic ones.

Thanks!
Sounds like a mistake by the agent or misunderstanding of one party in the whole process. You used a suite upgrade cert. and you got a nice suite on the top floor, so you got what you paid for.

Suite upgrades were indeed standard upgrades for Diamond's at this property, when the Regency Club was closed, however they are not guaranteed and were hard to get on weekend nights, especially on Saturday nights anyway, so I would never bet on a 'guaranteed' suite upgrade at this property.

IIRC, there are no reports on free upgrades to the villas, they were offered against $$$ while checkin in in the past and also significantly reduced on Travelzoo last year, but were still a couple hundred $ more expensive than the Penthouse Suites...

I do not think that they will be available when a Diamond intends to use a suite upgrade cert. , if so, it would be one of best values in North America, better values Hyatt-wide.

On a sidenote, maybe a moderator could merge the replies into the master thread, which is very helpful and accurate for this property. Thanks a lot from my side in advance, if it is possible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.